• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Smashing Pumpkins thread

Diablos

Natalie Imbruglia honestly did a great job with Identify... it's cool to hear the demo and all, but I'm glad she ended up singing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfuEK92iD6Y

Her voice is just so right for it. Ethereal, hauntingly beautiful, all that stuff.

edit: Geez, I forgot how well she did. Billy couldn't have made a better choice.

Are you sure? Everyone on Netphoria is pretty excited by it. I've been waiting a long time for it to leak and have never heard any rumors about it floating around.

Unless I manage to find the original file on an old hard drive it's fair to say I'm just mistaken, but I could have sworn it was a thing before.

Can't wait to check those out.

edit: R+S (in this admittedly very different form) sounds like it could have been a MCIS outtake at times.

Man, what I wouldn't give to have the multitracks from Machina. The audio equivalent of a Smashing Pumpkins salad bar.

Diablos

The BC demo of Identify isn't a new leak, but I can't say I've heard it in a very long time. I remember seeing Stigmata in the theater just because Billy did the soundtrack—those were weird times.
LOL. Even I didn't do that. I waited for the DVD to drop to $5.
I don't even know where it is anymore and I don't think I watched it the whole way through, har

Thanks for these links. Curious to hear how R + S sounds in particular.

edit: Wow, R + S sounds great! So much better than what ended up on the album. Definitely sounds like something from MCIS. Not only that but it honestly could be mistaken for a MCIS demo.
The song structure overall is so much better, it has more drive. The drumming is better. The guitars obviously are more pronounced. It's just better. This is how it should've been on the album.

Too bad the mp3 is so compressed. Bleh!

Home sounds pretty nice, too... M2 version is better though.

Dead

well not really...yet
I love the album version of R+S, but that is great.

The Machine reissue will be fucking amazing, mark my words.

Other than In the Arms of Sheep these tracks seem like part of the discovery process for the Machina re-release. Whereas we had the demo sessions from every other era after decades of trading (and the releases ended up not having much unknown content), Machina had the chance to be more interesting. If the entire slate of demos comes out now it could certainly cut the legs out from under the Machina release.

It also might point to someone who is involved with organizing the Machina content being the leaker, in which case I understand wanting to get to the bottom of it.

Other than In the Arms of Sheep these tracks seem like part of the discovery process for the Machina re-release. Whereas we had the demo sessions from every other era after decades of trading (and the releases ended up not having much unknown content), Machina had the chance to be more interesting. If the entire slate of demos comes out now it could certainly cut the legs out from under the Machina release.

It also might point to someone who is involved with organizing the Machina content being the leaker, in which case I understand wanting to get to the bottom of it.

i just feel if he is willing to hold stuff back from all the prior releases (which we know he has, and who knows what else was held back) what would stop him from not putting this stuff out even when the remaster does show up?

Diablos

If this is an internal thing, I understand. That's pretty fucking low.

Otherwise he's running a fool's errand.

Either way if this doesn't make Billy realize the hype ship sailed a long time ago, nothing will. He needs to just release what he wants to release for the remaining fans who give a shit.

Case in point -- do you really think these leaks are going to have a profound effect on the sales of future reissues and whatnot? Highly unlikely.

i just feel if he is willing to hold stuff back from all the prior releases (which we know he has, and who knows what else was held back) what would stop him from not putting this stuff out even when the remaster does show up?
He's probably thinking he can hoard like 20-30 more tracks for one more super duper rarity release to try and cash in on.
It's pathetic, because in doing this he has really chepened his reissues, particularly the MCIS and TAFH ones.
They still have a lot of nice surprises, don't get me wrong -- but you can clearly tell where he was inserting filler/being redundant.

Diablos

SP Int'l will be prosecuting

Fast forward to album being leaked, costing us tens of thousands of sales and quite possibly a number 1 album.

orQYhs6.gif

Dead

well not really...yet
I think it's beautiful, feels a lot sadder...

Yet I don't think it would have fit with Adore, so cutting it was a good decision. Still Im glad to have finally heard this...

Diablos

FINALLY.

Yeah, it doesn't really fit on Adore.
Still should've been a single...

I kinda like the Machina 2 version better, heh... although that's what we are used to.

Diablos

It's funny watching you two talk in here like it's a PM. :p

What's the Corgan poster for? More poetry? Random synth noise while his employees make tea?

It's funny watching you two talk in here like it's a PM. :p

What's the Corgan poster for? More poetry? Random synth noise while his employees make tea?

It's an acoustic concert that he, Jeff, and some others are playing on the 30th of this month. It's going to cover the entire span of his career so we will hear some Zwan and Future Embrace stuff too.

braves01

Banned
Soo....will there ever be an official Machina II release? I'd love to hear those songs touched up. I made a thread about it a while back, but I got zero responses and no that isn't a smashing pumpkins pun. Are there ownership issues or something?

Dead

well not really...yet
Soo....will there ever be an official Machina II release? I'd love to hear those songs touched up. I made a thread about it a while back, but I got zero responses and no that isn't a smashing pumpkins pun. Are there ownership issues or something?
Machina reissue will include remastered and remixed machina 2 resequenced with the original to make one double album.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Man, a Machina/M2 album blended into eachother sounds so interesting, especially if they can get the M2 songs sounding great. I have a feeling that's not happening any time soon.

Dead

well not really...yet
Man, a Machina/M2 album blended into eachother sounds so interesting, especially if they can get the M2 songs sounding great. I have a feeling that's not happening any time soon.
Adore remaster is out soon. Machina will definitely be next year.

Oreoleo

Zwan had so many good songs (basically none of which were on Mary Star, or if they were they got butchered in the studio). Ugh, what a waste.

Edit: It's weird watching that Riverview vid in retrospect, knowing about all the drama, and that their last show was like a week later.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Zwan had so many good songs (basically none of which were on Mary Star, or if they were they got butchered in the studio). Ugh, what a waste.

Edit: It's weird watching that Riverview vid in retrospect, knowing about all the drama, and that their last show was like a week later.

Do you have anything I can read about their final days and all the bullshit?

I really hope Billy goes all 7 disc crazy on the Zwan album. It's my favorite period behind Siamese Dream.

Top Bottom