• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Super Metroid (VC) Thread of Best Game Ever Made

1up

AdmiralViscen said:
waitwaitwait, I don't need to press the jump button each time I wall jump? Is that what you guys are saying?

I've always been trying to time it like that...

You're saying I press jump to get myself off the floor, and continue holding it for the duration of my wall jumping attempt, just throwing in directional taps!?

No, you jump toward the wall, press the opposite direction and when samus does her animation (looks like shes using her palm to push toward the wall) Jump again.

I never held down the jump button while doing the wall jump.

Simply holding jump and tapping left/right does not work as far as I can tell, you have to let go and re-hold jump each time. It seems to be easier to pull off that way than trying to press it without having it held beforehand, but I still suck dick at fucking wall jumping.

Ranger X

WolfofMebu said:
Just downloaded it, this will be my first time playing it!:D

Some pics:

How can the question even spawn in your brain?
It's BLASPHEMY to look at ANYTHING in the wrong screen ratio. ALWAYS play and watch everything at the intended screen ration. Tks.

(i'm just trying to make your life better my friend.)

Red Scarlet

A fun place to practice along with the Etecoons room is the vertical passage right above the old escape shaft. I've never been the best walljumper, but I'll make some little gifs of some from my run.

All I do is jump into a wall, then tap the opposite direction and you will see Samus grab onto the wall and face away from the wall (remember Chun Li when she grabs the edge of the screen? Looks like that.), that's when you hit jump. Almost at the same time but not quite.

Practicing wall jumping is never fun :p

I can get by enough to get early Spazer, but I can never link together more than 2 walljumps.

I could never get bomb jumping down in this game either, but I could get together 3 or so in the original. I dunno man.

AdmiralViscen said:
Practicing wall jumping is never fun :p

I can get by enough to get early Spazer, but I can never link together more than 2 walljumps.

I could never get bomb jumping down in this game either, but I could get together 3 or so in the original. I dunno man.

This is going to sound crazy, but try practicing the one-wall walljump. I actually find it easier than the 'regular' walljump.

Red Scarlet

Until 2004, the only way I knew how to bomb jump was to put my controller on turbo...

If you grab the second part of my run, it shows some bomb jump timing and wall jumps. I'll just make some wall jump gifs though.

Dragona Akehi said:
This is going to sound crazy, but try practicing the one-wall walljump. I actually find it easier than the 'regular' walljump.

I can see why that'd be easier. I'll try it next time I'm in Crateria.

Red Scarlet said:
Until 2004, the only way I knew how to bomb jump was to put my controller on turbo...

If you grab the second part of my run, it shows some bomb jump timing and wall jumps. I'll just make some wall jump gifs though.

I know what the animation looks like, I just don't know how to make my fingers do that.

Make a video of your hands holding the controller in front of the screen :(

Glass Joe

i downloaded the game just to "have it" on virtual console. then i decided i'd break it in, just play for a few minutes and go on with my day. suddenly time has passed and i've just beaten crockomire and grabbed the grapple beam. amazing game.

Rindain

Banned
I wish we still lived in a world without hint systems in Metroid games.

There should also be more completely random hidden items that aren't telegraphed by large cracks, weirdly colored rocks, etc. You should have to shoot every square foot of every surface to find stuff.

Synless

TheGreatDave said:
I've been playing about an hour and a half and don't have the charge power, did I miss it or do you get it later than in ZM/Fusion?

It's way back in the area where you fought that plant thing that bobs up and down, if you goto the bottom floor that area it is in the left corner area of the map.

*Edit* when I say that I don't mean in the exact room of the plant thing, but the rooms before it.

Tiktaalik

Rindain said:

There should also be more completely random hidden items that aren't telegraphed by large cracks, weirdly colored rocks, etc. You should have to shoot every square foot of every surface to find stuff.

Ugh. While I disliked the obvious hinting of Metroid Fusion, earlier games such as Metroid 2 I never even finished because of the lack of map and impossible to find secrets. Super Metroid is the perfect mix IMO.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
AdmiralViscen said:
I can see why that'd be easier. I'll try it next time I'm in Crateria.

I know what the animation looks like, I just don't know how to make my fingers do that.

Make a video of your hands holding the controller in front of the screen :(

I think it's easier if you practice each component of a wall jump at a time. If you think of it as one long sequence of buttons, then your mind might have trouble digesting multiple wall jumps in such a short period of time. Like if you just jump into a wall while spinning, at any point during that fall you can press in the opposite direction and see the usual animation. I'd just keep doing that, getting used to it. Jump into a wall and press the opposite direction. All you have to then do is add on an additional jump (almost immediately) at the end of this to send yourself in the other direction. I used to be awful at wall jumping, but I've reached the point now where I can reel it off in my mind without watching the screen. Jump, D pad, jump. It's simple when you think of it like that.

I actually have problems scaling single walls with a wall jump because I tend to accidentally press up on the D pad, which straightens Samus out. But I don't think there are many places where wall jumping is all that important, so you just have to capture the basics of it.

Dartastic

Linkhero1 said:
I remember when I first played the game I was stuck on that part where you had to run and the platform under you disappears. I never knew there was a run button and gave up on the game. This was about 11 or 12 years ago.

WHAT THE FUCK THAT'S THE PART I'M STUCK ON NOW WTF.

Tiktaalik

Damn this thread is hyping me up. Even though I got other new games demanding attention, I think I might hook up my SNES and Super Metroid when I get home. The game is fairly short isn't it? 8-10 hours?

Tiktaalik said:
Damn this thread is hyping me up. Even though I got other new games demanding attention, I think I might hook up my SNES and Super Metroid when I get home. The game is fairly short isn't it? 8-10 hours?

Roughly 1:07.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm replaying it now too in spirit of this release. Somebody print this in my brain because I always forget: where do I go to after the power bombs? I always run around aimlessly after that upgrade

Snaku

Banned
Haven't played this game since my SNES cartridge was stolen about 10 years ago. I just finished the download and will be spending the rest of the night reveling in this masterpiece. :D

Darunia said:
I'm replaying it now too in spirit of this release. Somebody print this in my brain because I always forget: where do I go to after the power bombs? I always run around aimlessly after that upgrade

A bunch of yellow doors lie behind you in Brinstar (one by Spore Spawn but you need Grapple, one in the red vertical shaft where you get the Xray scope, and the power bombs you can use right where you get the Morph Ball). Beyond that, you can use it to access the map room in Norfair's first vertical hall, and in the long horizontal room above that you can use the Speed Booster to get to the Ice Beam, which requires power bombs. Then you can finally access the yellow door at the bottom of a vertical shaft past where you use the Speed Booster to get past all those sucky guys to get to Crocomire and get the Grapple Beam).

I love this game, but not with the wavebird.

You've won Nintendo. I'm buying a classic controller tommorrow.

Mgoblue201

Just spent ten minutes trying to do the mockball so I could pick up early super missiles. I don't think there's any other feeling in gaming like doing a sequence break in Metroid.

Red Scarlet

^ did you pull it off?

evilromero said:
The only thing I miss from Fusion/Zero is the auto-run. Having to press a run button makes things a little cumbersome.

Having a run button does let you do a couple things you can't without one, though (like the above post).

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
AdmiralViscen said:
A bunch of yellow doors lie behind you in Brinstar (one by Spore Spawn but you need Grapple, one in the red vertical shaft where you get the Xray scope, and the power bombs you can use right where you get the Morph Ball). Beyond that, you can use it to access the map room in Norfair's first vertical hall, and in the long horizontal room above that you can use the Speed Booster to get to the Ice Beam, which requires power bombs. Then you can finally access the yellow door at the bottom of a vertical shaft past where you use the Speed Booster to get past all those sucky guys to get to Crocomire and get the Grapple Beam).

Aah yes Norfair. thanks

Synless

6.8 said:

Funny you said that cause that's exactly what I said earlier, I tried so hard not to buy a classic controller too.

Red Scarlet said:
^ did you pull it off?

Having a run button does let you do a couple things you can't without one, though (like the above post).
True. It allows for quick spurts of speed, which Fusion was lacking. But after beating Fusion last night I'm missing the feature.

Mgoblue201

Red Scarlet said:
^ did you pull it off?
Yeah, it's been years since I've last tried it. I think I kept rolling into the morph ball too early because whenever I did it, I lost most of my momentum. When I actually rolled into a ball the moment before I hit the ground, I finally did it correctly. Defeating Spore Spawn with the super missiles is strangley satisfying.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
6.8 said:

I bought the CC yesterday but tried to play SM today with the WaveBird just in case it wasn't that bad. I lasted about 20 minutes before ripping open the CC package. :lol

Aeana

Just about ready to fight Draygon. I don't know how I ever played this game without single-walljumping, because the grapple things in Maridia are much more frustrating to attempt to use, for me.

Red Scarlet

Just try single ones and you'll get the hang of it. You may be trying to do it too fast which prevents you from doing it. Did you wall jump in Mario 64?

I can't get more than 2 in a row (single or double wall) without

-pressing away before actually touching the wall
-not pressing jump at the exact right moment
-allegedly pressing up and making her fucking stop spinning

Not for me.

edit: Just strung three, to find a swarm of bugs flying around at the top of the shaft to keep me down. LOL

Rindain said:

Ugh I hate hidden item systems like this. It's not like every single crack or oddly colored rock in the game leads to an item, plenty don't. Also shouldn't the player be rewarded for being perceptive rather than for being anal?

Tarazet

Linkhero1 said:
I remember when I first played the game I was stuck on that part where you had to run and the platform under you disappears. I never knew there was a run button and gave up on the game. This was about 11 or 12 years ago.

:lol That's exactly the spot where I was just stuck, and I came in to the thread to ask about that.

The cycle repeats!

AdmiralViscen said:
I can't get more than 2 in a row (single or double wall) without

-pressing away before actually touching the wall
-not pressing jump at the exact right moment
-allegedly pressing up and making her fucking stop spinning

Not for me.

edit: Just strung three, to find a swarm of bugs flying around at the top of the shaft to keep me down. LOL

You don't have to do it very fast. Wait until you actually hit the wall your moving towards, then push the other direction, then jump.

DON'T RUSH IT. It's actually really easy once you get the hang of...most people have a tendency to rush it and THAT is what messes things up.

Red Scarlet

Jump against the wall then press the opposite, you don't have to do it as soon as you are next to the wall. Some people (I don't) stop using their thumb and use the middle and index finger to hover over left and right on the dpad to perform it.

I don't know if these are helpful, maybe in slow motion (grab virtualdub), but here's how I used to wall jump:

http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/walljump.avi (no sound)

bluefish

Maridia rocks...

1) Blowing up the pipe. Always thought that was cool

2) It has
spring ball
. I LOVE
SPRING BALL

3) It has
Draygon. Electrocuting him
is my favorite moment in the whole series, just about :p

4) It looks cool

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Ha I started playing and did like 40 wall jumps in a row right next to the elevator at the very start, then proceeded to walljump my way up the wall to the right of your ship on Zebes. I don't know how you guys are having so much trouble with them. I've only ever played Super Metroid with an awful (awful) PC controller with a circular smushy d-pad (this one), and doing ANYTHING requiring precision was a nightmare. With the classic controller now, though, I can crack them out like nobody's business.

But really, I was kind of stuck by it while merely playing through the first 10 minutes of the game: this might be the best game ever made. Seriously, I'd barely even done anything, but traveling through the wreckage of Metroid-1-Tourian (which I had somehow never recognized until today) somehow just set that impression in my mind. The music, the atmosphere, those little things crawling out of your way, Brinstar coming alive after you get the morph ball... it's just perfect. There are no other words for it.

..so I don't think I'll say any.

Top Bottom