• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official TEKKEN 6 "Who needs a FADC? We got RAGE!" Thread

LowParry

Good lord, what happened in here. I was hoping for more impressions but quite the opposite. Midnight tonight! Hyped!

Lyte Edge said:
I'm no network expert, but there's-

-The possibility of a patch or more servers on launch day
-The possibility that they are adjusting things right now. We have reports of the online going down then coming back up.
-The fact that once more people have purchased it, you'll get better games due to more people being closer to you.
-The possibility that people reporting on the connections have shitty connections themselves.
-The fact that the Xbox 360 version's online play isn't even up yet, so we have no idea how that version fares.
Another patch is extremely unlikely. I don't think servers have any impact on a peer to peer fighting game, nor would adjustments. More people might help, yeah, but we also have reports of people with 4 to 5 bars having laggy matches, so more people may just mean more shit to wade through. And I think many of the people complaining about the online have played other fighters without issue so I'm not likely to pin it on their connections.

Though yeah, 360 version may be a whole different ballgame.

I'm not glossing over what people are saying, but I'm also not going to up and cancel my pre-order over it, either. It's not like everything being said is condemning the game and 100% negative. Some of you guys are overreacting.
I'm just in it for the online, and I don't have the patience for anything less than SF4-quality. I've been spoiled! Current impressions are in line with early impressions for other games that didn't cut the mustard for me, so I'm wary right now. That's all. I'd love to be wrong about it all though!

But see, I've had plenty of great connections on PS3 too. What kind of connection do you have? What's your PS3 nat type? That stuff matters.
My connection's pretty good but I have no idea about PS3 nat type. Until recently it's pretty much been a Demon's Souls machine. I wasn't big on anyway SC4 so I gave up on it pretty quickly. All that DLC deeply offended me for some reason. :(

ShinobiFist said:
People are getting it twisted, This download that we were prompted to was to enable us to access online, that's all, and the 360 obviously will get the download as well. We haven't receive a "patch" yet. Like people said earlier, the same thing happen with BB(Net-play wise)
BlazBlue was a little different. Online play was there out of the box, there was just a patch to improve it. Same with SF4.

The thing I hate about rank matches is that your force to fight your opponent no matter what. Is not like in BB, were you get to see the players connection and decide if you want to kick him out or not. It goes like this, you pick your character, it starts synching.....And boom, you fight your opponent. I encounter two Eddie Gordos(Both 2 bars)in a row, and that was it for me on rank matches. The thing that bugs me is that the game runs smooth on a connection like that, but the input lag is INSANE. 1-2 sec delay at times!
Are you saying you can't refuse matches against opponents with bad ping?? That alone may be a dealbreaker for me. I thought this game would be a sure thing. Why does the port sound so half-assed?

Class_A_Ninja said:
That's right...they DO connect to different internets.
No, but multiplatform games sometimes perform better on one console than another!

V_Arnold

Class_A_Ninja said:
That's right...they DO connect to different internets.

You sir, are now acting as like there has never been a precedence of a multiplatform game performing better in online modes on XBL, and worse on PSN.

krazen

Ugh.

I just hope the online is just early jitters.
Im an old school fan who dropped out around Tekken Tag. I really want to hop back on the train, but without a good online (and how the single player options have been getting meh reviews) I don't know if I am going to be playing this game for more then a week.

I understand coding for fighting games is a whole different ballgame as opposed to FPS's. But if a relatively low on the totem pole developer like Arc System can hammer it down to near perfection for a game like Blazblue, it just makes me question how alot of the other companies are approaching it.

Fighting games+online are a perfect fit on paper, but for some reason it seems half the time they drop the ball.

Sai

Skilletor said:
There are people that considered SC4 'playable' online? :lol
I'm one of them. My playtime with SC4 online was extremely limited, but most of thew few games I did play were pretty damn smooth if I matched up with somebody in the green. If Tekken 6 can at least match that, I'll be satisfied.

And I got it for the PS3. Kept hearing it was a bit better over Live, though I don't know if there's much truth to that.

Chairhome

If you search for the game on Best Buy's website, it shows in stock for in-store pickup for some stores. It may be possible to get it today, I'm going to call when the store opens (I'd just order online for in-store pick-up, but I pre-ordered it at Best Buy).

Skilletor

Sai said:
I'm one of them. My playtime with SC4 online was extremely limited, but most of thew few games I did play were pretty damn smooth if I matched up with somebody in the green. If Tekken 6 can at least match that, I'll be satisfied.

And I got it for the PS3. Kept hearing it was a bit better over Live, though I don't know if there's much truth to that.

Well, I guess it's possible. I played on both consoles and it was not much better than DRO. I never expected T6 to play well online. Namco is 0 for 2 so far looking like they're about to strike out.

Chairhome

So, I called Best Buy and they said they have it in. Its kinda weird, cause the girl I was talking to after I asked said, "... let me check. Ok. What's your name? I'll have it by the front door for you" Felt like it was some kind of shady deal we were doing, haha. That never happens, I didn't even ask them to hold it. Oh well, I'm taking off work early (for different reasons, but having T6 today won't hurt), see you guys online.

kage

Sorry, I just gave it a try.

I played with 2 people from the same ISP as mine, one of them lives 20 minutes away. I can honestly say the netcode is worse than DR Online. On the best of matches its like a 0.5 second lag, none of the juggles work; you have to input everything slightly sooner.

I played hundreds of matches with these 2 people on SF4 and BB, never had a problem once.

Overall we're pretty disappointed, and we're huge tekken fans.

Sectus

Lyte Edge said:
Just reading that even those "laggy" matches were better than Soul Calibur IV means it will be fine. I've been re-playing SCIV a good bit the last few days, and get plenty of great connections.

People usually over-exaggerate on this stuff or just have crappy connections. I never have much of an issue with the likes of SF4, HD Remix, BlazBlue, Soul Calibur IV, MvC2, etc. The only fighter that's been released this generation with truely SHIT netcode is KOF XII.
The bigger problem is that most people completely misunderstand how netcodes even work. Your own connection doesn't have much of an effect as long as it has enough bandwidth (more bandwidth = no difference) and it's stable (which most connections out there should be). The biggest factor is the ping. The biggest problem is that most developers are fucking lazy and implement the laziest form of netcode (as a random example, you can look at shooters... Army of Two uses the same type of netcode you see in fighters. All other shooters do not.) They really should start putting any effort into the netcode and actually try new ideas. This current netcode is even ancient by standards 10 years ago.

SF4, SC4, DRO, KOFXII and many other fighters (most probably Tekken 6 too) use the exact same netcode where the game quite simply waits for input from both players. Which results in an input lag scaled based on the ping. Which makes it completely unplayable unless you play with someone who's so close you might as well call them up and tell them to go to your place.

Well, you can kick people without good connections on Player matches, what about Ranked Matches? That would be stupid if it was a feature in one and not the other.

So, really the netcode is KOF bad? My god. That just, can't be true.

Look, I'm still getting the game, so... tonight, at midnight, when me and my buddy who lives ten minutes away, we both have the exact same connection... both directly connected, too, no routers... for example, when we play SF4, it's 5 green bars and it feels like we are right next to each other... if there is lag with him, then it's alll over for this game.

GAF is usually right about code. Last time I heard this much bitching was over MOW and KOF12, and GAF was 10000% right on both games. If this is the same situation or worse I will be shocked.

Also. I know the game default renders at under 576p. My best friend has a better TV than me, high end 1080p Bravia (mine is only 720p or if you want to get technical 768p). I have a feeling this is going to look blurry and shit on his TV. I'll wait to hear what he says. He doesn't understand technical mumbo jumbo like I do, but he knows what looks good and doesn't.

Also, 360 version here. Like I said will be tested first thing around 12 midnight EST time today.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
MMaRsu said:
Wait the online isn't good? What's going on? Only reason I'm getting it is online :lol
All the early impressions seem to be for the ps3. :(

I must know about the 360 netcode.

MrPliskin

Banned
kage said:
Sorry, I just gave it a try.

I played with 2 people from the same ISP as mine, one of them lives 20 minutes away. I can honestly say the netcode is worse than DR Online. On the best of matches its like a 0.5 second lag, none of the juggles work; you have to input everything slightly sooner.

I played hundreds of matches with these 2 people on SF4 and BB, never had a problem once.

Overall we're pretty disappointed, and we're huge tekken fans.

I know it's kind of crazy to ask your fanbase to 'find a scene' but I honestly do believe Tekken is considerably better offline in person, by a long shot.

Granted, not eveyrone has the same opportunities to play with other folks in their area, but if you can, it's definitely worth it. No netcode is going to be perfect, even if T6 is the worst of the bunch, you'll still get an experience that can't be matched offline.

Unless of course you just want to play casually.

So let's see:

Capcom has got it right.
Sega has got it right.
Freaking Arc System Works got it right.
Namco is (allegedly) still getting it wrong.

Really I was only planning on getting Tekken 6 to play dress-up with the ladies but c'mon Namco it's 2009. Even on Sega's worst day they're still out-classing you.

Teknoman

MrPliskin said:
I know it's kind of crazy to ask your fanbase to 'find a scene' but I honestly do believe Tekken is considerably better offline in person, by a long shot.

Granted, not eveyrone has the same opportunities to play with other folks in their area, but if you can, it's definitely worth it. No netcode is going to be perfect, even if T6 is the worst of the bunch, you'll still get an experience that can't be matched offline.

Unless of course you just want to play casually.

I'd think thats what the majority of people who buy Tekken, SF, Soul Caliber and other console versions of popular fighting games do.

Im still hoping all this is just because of the game being played before the official release date... If Capcom can do it with SFIV and Arc with Blazblue, Namco should've been able to with Tekken 6 by now. Even Virtual On XBLA version works great online.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
sad to hear further reports about shitty netcode. Oh well. I was worried that I wouldn't have time for SFIV and Tekken anyway. I'll still play the shit out of it online for a day to figure out if it's all true, but pretty disappointing.

MrPliskin

Banned
Teknoman said:
I'd think thats what the majority of people who buy Tekken, SF, Soul Caliber and other console versions of popular fighting games do.

Im still hoping all this is just because of the game being played before the official release date... If Capcom can do it with SFIV and Arc with Blazblue, Namco should've been able to with Tekken 6 by now. Even Virtual On XBLA version works great online.

Well, I know the majority of the people who buy this are casual gamers, I just thought more folks on GAF would get into it pretty hardcore.

That said, it's still no excuse for poor netcode, as stated above, it's 2009, and Sega got it right (sort of) with VF5. Their netcode was good, BB was great, etc. Honestly after so long (especially with DR) you think Namco would have been working on Netcode for sometime.

It seems as though they've stuck to their guns, as they used to say "online play is impossible for Tekken" and they still believe that, so they just toss out a half-assed online mode.

Still, I think the 1 profile thing is the biggest let down, IMO.

Also, can the 2nd player use customizations or not?

Teknoman

Cant you play the beat em up mode online as well? You'd think they would put their best efforts toward netcode with so many modes being online.

cheesybread

Neo Member
This thread scares me greatly as far as netplay is concerned. Hopefully 360 is better but I doubt it.

Luckily I live in an area where there is a decent offline scene.

WHYYYYYYYY NAMCO. T_T

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Before anyone starts trying to rip heads off, let me chime in with my experience and what people have been telling me.

You may have heard previously (from me, and many other sites), that the online netcode is solid, and superior to both DR and SCIV. Two friends of mine who are on the Q&A/test side of things from Namco Bandai mentioned that it was definitely playable on various connections versus their Japanese offices.

That being said, I have no idea why everyone's experiences yesterday (including my own) ranged from pretty good to down right horrible.

Like I posted in the TZ netcode thread. Shitty connection is a shitty connection. Obviously I hope the netcode stabilizes and we see something more consistent later tonight/tomorrow as more people get the game.

It was never my intention to steer people the wrong way, I was just relaying the message that Namco Bandai and people who have played/worked on the netcode have been mentioning.

Skilletor

MarkMan said:
Before anyone starts trying to rip heads off, let me chime in with my experience and what people have been telling me.

No, this will not do. I want your head. Or some swag. Preferably swag.

krazen

MarkMan said:
It was never my intention to steer people the wrong way, I was just relaying the message that Namco Bandai and people who have played/worked on the netcode have been mentioning.

WE WANT YOUR HEAD!

Seriously tho, I don't think anybody holds you responsible for the netcode if it happens to be under par, lol. It's a big release for a pretty popular fighter back in the PS1/PS2 heyday, and I for one was happy to be hyped for it. So the streaming event, etc...all great stuff so kudos.

The grumbles are more along the lines we are hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst. Especially since they are so secretive about that one particular aspect of the game.

From my experiences with SF4 on both 360 and PS3, PS3 is a good couple notches worse generally speaking. Where I would find yellow or green connections maybe 1/3rd of the time, on PS3 at my friends it's was closer to 1 out of 10 matches.

That being said, I was totally satisfied with netcode on both versions, because 3 bars is an acceptable level. 2 and below is not. 4 and 5 are typically excellent. 5 feels like offline.

Here's hoping Tekken is at least 75% as good as SF4.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Mattlikewhoa said:
I'd like to know as well. I'd rather play with a friend then a dumb bot if I have to grind it out for $$$...

theyre patching in online co op later this year around december i think

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Everyone should chill, FFS lets at least wait till the game is officially out before saying the online sucks. In all likelyhood the online is fine and they are waiting till tomorrow to activate all the servers.

^ my experiences with Soul Calibur on 360 are limited, but with a full bar or close to it, the matches were fine.

Like I said the definitive answer for me will come later tonight. If the game isn't flawless between me and my best friend, then something is very, very wrong.

Like, "standard" netcode on XBLA titles is god awful. Any SNK fighting game or Sega Backbone port has un-acceptable levels of lag. I usually don't care though because I don't take those games seriously. SF4, VF5, and Soul Calibur work just fine. We will see later tonight.

Honestly, if the netcode is broken on 360 as well, I don't know what I will do. At this point I almost want to rent it before I buy, but whatever. I'm taking a big chance here, but I got 30 in store credit and at the very least I'll dick around with the SP stuff. Will probably end up selling it, though if netcode is as bad as people are saying.

tapedeck said:
Everyone should chill, FFS lets at least wait till the game is officially out before saying the online sucks. In all likelyhood the online is fine and they are waiting till tomorrow to activate all the servers.

What? Netcode is P2P on both PSN and 360.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
What is the story with Nina? When the game first came out everyone was like "oh she is still one of top 3 in the game" but now I see folks ranking her more towards the middle. Nina & Julia have been my mains since Tekken 3. I <3 Julia's wonder juggle in TTT and Nina's wonder juggle in T3.

haunts said:
My Steve is going to own up everyone!! yeah!!!!

B+1 bitches!!!!

LOL. I thought for sure they would hit him with the nerf stick this time around but from everything I've read he is even more of a beast in T6. When Tekken 7 rolls around they will probably give him even more new stances/ways of messing folks up...like a southpaw stance or something. It took them how many games to knock the Mishimas down a few notches? They probably won't get to addressing Steve until Tekken 10 so you're safe for a few more installments. I should probably start using him myself actually.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
haunts said:
MarkMan you suck at writing netcode.
haunts you suck at accepting PSN friend requests.

;__;

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Baron Aloha said:
What is the story with Nina? When the game first came out everyone was like "oh she is still one of top 3 in the game" but now I see folks ranking her more towards the middle. Nina & Julia have been my mains since Tekken 3. I <3 Julia's wonder juggle in TTT and Nina's wonder juggle in T3.

LOL. I thought for sure they would hit him with the nerf stick this time around but from everything I've read he is even more of a beast in T6. When Tekken 7 rolls around they will probably give him even more new stances/ways of messing folks up...like a southpaw stance or something. It took them how many games to knock the Mishimas down a few notches? They probably won't get to addressing Steve until Tekken 10 so you're safe for a few more installments. I should probably start using him myself actually.

Man I was playing last night and even his basic OG high low game is so dangerous. I've played a lot of 3s so the guessing is strong in this one. :p

His combos and stuff seem way different though. I could do some basic ones but nothing crazy like I could do in T4 back in the day. Couldnt seem to figure out his launcher outside of B+1, 2, 1. Even after that though I couldnt do anything to crazy outside of going into flicker for a couple more hits.

Fersis said:
haunts you suck at accepting PSN friend requests.

;__;

I dont get on PSN much so dont take offense. Also, PSN friend accepts, messaging etc confuse the hell out of me so it wasnt intentional if you arent on my list. :p

Sectus

LeMaximilian said:
As soon as 360 version goes live tonight, I'll try to get a video showing some netcode examples.
Input lag is the number one issue, and that wouldn't be noticable in the video unless you show your controller while playing or have really loud clicky buttons.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
haunts said:
I dont get on PSN much so dont take offense. Also, PSN friend accepts, messaging etc confuse the hell out of me so it wasnt intentional if you arent on my list. :p
YEah so you can FADC the hell out of your opponent but you cant accept a PSN request
So complicated ;)

No prob man.

Also it looks like im going to skip this game :(

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Fersis said:
YEah so you can FADC the hell out of your opponent but you cant accept a PSN request
So complicated ;)

No prob man.

Also it looks like im going to skip this game :(

Maybe I'm autistic or something?

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Anyone remember how BB played if someone wasnt on the same coast before the patch came out? Yeeeahh... You guys should relax!

MrDenny

The guy on the stream says 360 version is solid online.
I don't know why everyone is freaking out, I'm pretty sure the ps3 version will eventually stabilize.

Top Bottom