• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official TEKKEN 6 "Who needs a FADC? We got RAGE!" Thread

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
d0c_zaius said:
yea f the quality of gameplay, its all about ONLINEZZZZZZZZZ

But.. online is practically an integral part of the gameplay. Your argument makes no sense at all. Offline fighting games are borin g if you don't have good nearby competition. I sure as hell don't want to play alone.

Xevren

Relix said:
But.. online is practically an integral part of the gameplay. Your argument makes no sense at all. Offline fighting games are borin g if you don't have good nearby competition. I sure as hell don't want to play alone.

Same for me, still going to try out the game and see how the online is for myself. If it's not to my liking I'll just take it back.

d0c_zaius

Relix said:

Sorry I come from the era where games (fighting in particular) didnt have these extra lag filled (minus BB of course) modes. To me, online is a near useless bullet point on the back of the box only for the purpose of meeting the "next gen" feature list of the casual video game consumer.

So then you agree that he should cancel his preorder, and not play the game at all, vs. playing what he can and see how online improves. This to me, makes no sense at all.

and online = integral to a fighting game? news to me dude. I think most fighting game players would say that online is a joke as lag ruins any feel or training you develop over time. EDIT: Not talking about GGPO of course:D

Not shitting up the thread with a new post anymore

"Online is fighters should and will be as required as online is in FPS."

Bioshock among others, but I get your point. However as you mentioned, since its only really been well implemented in one title (BB), I expect it to be crap and will be surprised if it isnt. Saves me the nerd rage.

LowParry

karasu said:
People are taking random internet impressions just a little too seriously.

Well. You gotta look at it from two different views. One is you got people (like myself) who don't have a local scene to play against with others. That's where online becomes a component. Then you have others who have a local scene where they get to play with others on a weekly basis. Arcades are dead in most of the US so not everyone has that luxury.

scotcheggz

Relix said:

I disagree, but then I think that is largely due to my gaming history. I've never had chance to play games with friends as all my friends hate them. Online is deffinitely a bonus as CPU is nothing like fighting real people, but to be honest online play is a bit of a downer for me. Everyone is so angry and competitive. Just look at SFIV history, rage quitters, lame messages. Everyone is the greatest fighter known to man until they lose, then all of a sudden I'm getting hate mail for winning a match here and there.

In conclusion, I'll be having a ball offline anyways, and clocking in some serious hours there. If online is OK and I find some chill people to fight with then that would be nice too. I don't understand people who say online or bust, but then, they probably don't understand me :D

He should at least pick it up at launch so that he can put together some awesome custom-outfits to show off if/when the online play gets better.

Otherwise I dunno. Sure one could memorize their breads, butters, and other assorted spreads but none of that will matter if once they get online they can't so much as put 2 & 2 together.

Otherwise people can't help it if online is typically the only viable way they'll find competition. If you live out in nowhereville with the job where you work all day everyday and your friends would rather play Call of Duty what else can you do?

Who says anyone has to buy the game now anyway? By this time next week at least one person will be selling their copy for $5 to $15 less than retail in the buy/sell/trade thread no matter how good or bad the online gets.
Maybe some higher-up will get the bright idea to get their stuff right before releasing a game. Then again this is Namco we're talking about here so I'm not sure if they'll learn much of anything from the debacle. They've got their eyes set on DLC anyway I bet.

edit: Fuck posting from the Wii. I used "Otherwise" twice and didn't catch it.

d0c_zaius said:
Sorry I come from the era where games (fighting in particular) didnt have these extra lag filled (minus BB of course) modes. To me, online is a near useless bullet point on the back of the box only for the purpose of meeting the "next gen" feature list of the casual video game consumer.

So then you agree that he should cancel his preorder, and not play the game at all, vs. playing what he can and see how online improves. This to me, makes no sense at all.

and online = integral to a fighting game? news to me dude. I think most fighting game players would say that online is a joke as lag ruins any feel or training you develop over time. EDIT: Not talking about GGPO of course:D

I pay for High speed internet and Xbox live, not to mention the 60 bucks for the price of admission so you goddamned right I want this shit to work the way its supposed to.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
To me...there's a really important thing to online play that most forget with fighting game, matchups. Especially for rosters with huge amounts of characters, like T6, you could have no f'in clue how to fight against Gun-Jack and plan to take the game seriously. The great thing about working online fighters, is that you will eventually run into someone playing that wack ass random character you have no idea about. Invite him/her to your friendslist, and voilla! You're no longer a Gun-Jack dunce. Granted, you could just spend your time learning the whole roster...but that's such a daunting commitment in fighting games with 20 characters, much less 40.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Any boxing fans?

Pacquiao fans?

Buboy, his other trainer... showin' love for the game and my stick... no homo.

4047869161_398e3cf438_o.jpg

CcrooK said:
Hey MM,

When you going to announce the sdtekken winners tomorrow?

Contest winners won't be announced until the 29th, per rule sheet.

But the actual entries deadline is midnight tomorrow.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
d0c_zaius said:

Online is a joke because the implementation has been a joke. Online for fighting games is now a requirement. Like it or not, come from whatever era you come from or not. It doesn't matter if you live in Japan (in which case, you wouldn't buy this anyway) or live in SoCal or something with an arcade community (a minority of customers).

Online is fighters should and will be as required as online is in FPS.

KAL2006

Banned
Havent been keeping up for this game

So whats the verdict on online play. How is it compared to SFIV, BlazBlue, MvC2, SCIV etc

is it atleast as good as SFIV, it better be better than SCIV

This is for the 360 version I want to know about

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
karasu said:
People are taking random internet impressions just a little too seriously.

Impressions from good to great players (who are saying it's shitty) aren't random.

These guys aren't your random hypemen who are paid to shill.

From the sounds of it, the verdict is SCIV is better right now.

Mr Spliff

I'm digging this game but I have a couple gripes such as why I can't rank past 1st Dan without playing online, I rarely play online and I don't see why they couldn't keep this in for at least the Ghost battles. Anyone think this will be changed? And someone mentioned there is a glitch/problem with practice mode? Any truth to this?
Also, am I the only one who likes Scenario Campaign? I love beat em ups and this is silly fun.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Finally was able to get my hands on online mode. It's Soul Calibur IV, straight up.

edit: played a few more matches. It's still trash. I wonder how many online fighters it'll take Namco to reach the point Capcom did with original Xbox Street Fighters, much less current generation games like VF, SF4 and BB. Upset as all hell, was really looking forward to T6.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Kintaro said:
Online is a joke because the implementation has been a joke. Online for fighting games is now a requirement. Like it or not, come from whatever era you come from or not. It doesn't matter if you live in Japan (in which case, you wouldn't buy this anyway) or live in SoCal or something with an arcade community (a minority of customers).

I came here to post this. Thank you. If some of these guys made these games the companies would be broke. Like it or not, the bullet point ONLINE PLAY on a Fighting game sells. A lot. Much more so than single player. Really, if it weren't for that I wouldn't buy them... you see, I play these games for fun, and definitively to put up some competition, but most of that is reserved for tournaments. I just wanna chill out and have fun. That's all. If netcode problems cause bullshit I won't be having that much fun. See?

scotcheggz

Mr Spliff said:
I'm digging this game but I have a couple gripes such as why I can't rank past 1st Dan without playing online, I rarely play online and I don't see why they couldn't keep this in for at least the Ghost battles. Anyone think this will be changed? And someone mentioned there is a glitch/problem with practice mode? Any truth to this?
Also, am I the only one who likes Scenario Campaign? I love beat em ups and this is silly fun.

Is this true?? :( You mean ranks don't go up past 1st Dan, unless you win online?

d0c_zaius

Relix said:
I came here to post this. Thank you. If some of these guys made these games the companies would be broke.

Ok nevermind

As someone doing QA on some "big" titles that made me laugh and feel sad at the same time

Mr Spliff

scotcheggz said:
Is this true?? :( You mean ranks don't go up past 1st Dan, unless you win online?

That's what it says in the manual. I have gotten one character to 1st Dan but haven't played arcade since, trying to unlock stuff in scenario, really don't want to face the disappointment. Pretty lame if you ask me, stuff like that keeps people like me who don't play online to keep playing.

EDIT: I also played a bunch of ghost battles but no 'promotion' fights appeared even when I could fight much higher ranked opponents.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
KAL2006 said:
Havent been keeping up for this game

So whats the verdict on online play. How is it compared to SFIV, BlazBlue, MvC2, SCIV etc

is it atleast as good as SFIV, it better be better than SCIV

This is for the 360 version I want to know about

SHIT.

Worse than SC4 and SF4.

AVOID if you want online play.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
stormer said:
wow this game is going to be an epic fail and I haven't even tried it :/

I am getting true buyer's remorse :lol

Really, I will still give it a chance, but nothing sounds promising in the netplay front =P

Anyanka

That review was wrong about rage and bound though. You don't take less damage in rage and bound obviously wasn't in Tekken 3.

TimeKillr

Prototype-03 said:
Just played some matches with TimeKillr. Lag still bites...

I don't know exactly how it was on your end, but what I noticed at some point is that while there's constant input lag, there were zero fluctuations in framerate or lag.

Which tells me the system they used is this:

They calculate an appropriate input lag for both players, set it at that, and makes sure the game runs within these parameters.

It means playing against someone, you should always have the exact same input lag. It sort of showed when we played - at first we kept messing up the timing to our combos, but by the end you were consistently landing combos with Xiaoyu.

I had to adjust too - typically I do a longer and more damaging combo with Asuka off her db+4, but with input lag I couldn't get the 3rd part of my combo running, so I dropped down a bit and used a different 3rd part with a crumple off the juggle to finish my combo.

So, in conclusion, from my opinion:

Lag is weird, as it's not the kind of lag we're used to see in most fighters. It introduces a very noticeable input lag, but everything else was smooth as butter.

Teknoman

boutrosinit said:
SHIT.

Worse than SC4 and SF4.

AVOID if you want online play.

Im so conflicted right now.

Relix said:
I am getting true buyer's remorse :lol

Really, I will still give it a chance, but nothing sounds promising in the netplay front =P

Seriously. I mean im getting the game for free via the best buy sale...and i've never missed a Tekken home release (except Dark Ressurection) but damn.

Mr Spliff said:

Quick question about this mode. Can you play it co-op? How long does it take to complete? How much money do you earn each time you play it?

Please specify which console you have when you are making a comment about online play.

So far I've read nothing but negative on the PS3 side and mixed reviews on the 360 side.

In fact in this page and the last, I think there are more positive 360 claims than negative.

I will have the real deal verdict in about 1 and a half hours. I know when a game has inherently shit netcode versus just laggy connections. Case in point: SF4. Some days, the lag is so god awful and everyone has 3 bars. Other days I get tons of 4 and 5 bar. The real test is between me and my boy. Same ISP, same speed, both direct connect.

If we get lag, then the netcode is beyond shit. Will post as soon as this thing is installed on my 360.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
What the fuck Namco? :( Man, reading the thread over at TZ is depressing as hell. How could Namco fuck up so bad? Though, it explains why online mode was kept under wraps till now.

Namco and SNKP when will they learn?

Teknoman

Arpharmd B said:
Please specify which console you have when you are making a comment about online play.

So far I've read nothing but negative on the PS3 side and mixed reviews on the 360 side.

In fact in this page and the last, I think there are more positive 360 claims than negative.

I will have the real deal verdict in about 1 and a half hours. I know when a game has inherently shit netcode versus just laggy connections. Case in point: SF4. Some days, the lag is so god awful and everyone has 3 bars. Other days I get tons of 4 and 5 bar. The real test is between me and my boy. Same ISP, same speed, both direct connect.

If we get lag, then the netcode is beyond shit. Will post as soon as this thing is installed on my 360.

Looking forward to it.

MrMephistoX

CcrooK said:
Well. You gotta look at it from two different views. One is you got people (like myself) who don't have a local scene to play against with others. That's where online becomes a component. Then you have others who have a local scene where they get to play with others on a weekly basis. Arcades are dead in most of the US so not everyone has that luxury.

The game is not widely available yet. How many people across the country even have the game yet? I'd probably say only a few 1,000 at best. Once you have 100,000 or so in the pool things will probably pick up as distances between opponents shrink.

Online modes include the typical ranked and player match modes that work only for pure versus mode play. Tekken 6 doesn't support online team battles, and the touted co-op Tekken Force campaign will be patched in later. Though with how awful one-on-one versus plays online based on our reviewable pre-release discs, I wonder if it’s even worth it. Myself and X-Play's Matt Keil, who were likely the only players on the servers at the time, both had four green-bar connection ratings and we still encountered stutters, terrible input command lag and freezes in every one of our matches. It’s inexcusable when Namco stablemate Soulcalibur IV did it much better over a year ago. But even if the online experience works better on launch day, it can't single-handedly make up for the other deficiencies in the overall experience.

^ They don't specify console. But. Damn. That is not encouraging.

Tain

Are PS3 people having a hell of a time getting into a match, or is it just laggy once in one?

I've barely been able to get into matches, but I'm pretty sure the apartment connection is sucking shit universally right now, though.

krazen

d0c_zaius said:

Not shitting up the thread with a new post anymore

"Online is fighters should and will be as required as online is in FPS."

Bioshock among others, but I get your point. However as you mentioned, since its only really been well implemented in one title (BB), I expect it to be crap and will be surprised if it isnt. Saves me the nerd rage.

I remember early on in the Doom/Quake days people turned their nose at internet play in favor of LAN parties because of quality of connection at the time and that the work involved would bring out the best players in an area. Not anymore.

Fighting games survived for a long time without online, but lets face the facts. The community turned niche with the death of arcades, and the genre was getting slept on while other genre's had lots of growth over the years. In 2009, you need online to get the mainstream involved, and that equals more dollars towards the genre. SF4 would not have been as big a hit if the online sucked. While not legit for real tourney play it's good enough to get a feel for the game and get some good matches going, enough for a young player to get decent skills at the basic mechanics, to get the confidence to seek out players in the area and get some real competition offline.

But to smirk at online play in a fighter is just going to lead the genre back into dark ages when there was a huge gap and no real new exciting releases.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Official TEKKEN 6 "Who needs decent online play? We got LAG!"

Change it back to something good once the Namco bots get off their ass and fix it. :p

d0c_zaius

that G4 review comes off so bitter, even more so by the defending the reviewer does in the comments.

Hating on tekken for having tekken gameplay? okkkkkkkkkkkkkk buddy

Krazen, seeing as fighting games are Japanese developed (thus subject to cultural opinion on the worth of online), I'm going to have to disagree with your dark age prediction. But that is a topic that deserves its own.

scotcheggz

Mr Spliff said:
That's what it says in the manual. I have gotten one character to 1st Dan but haven't played arcade since, trying to unlock stuff in scenario, really don't want to face the disappointment. Pretty lame if you ask me, stuff like that keeps people like me who don't play online to keep playing.

EDIT: I also played a bunch of ghost battles but no 'promotion' fights appeared even when I could fight much higher ranked opponents.

Thats a bit of a bummer for me. I'll still play this a LOT, becuase I love me some Tekken. But I'm with you %100, offline ranking in DR was always fun and motivated me to play much much more than online ranking.

Tain

Online for fighting games is now a requirement. Like it or not, come from whatever era you come from or not. It doesn't matter if you live in Japan (in which case, you wouldn't buy this anyway) or live in SoCal or something with an arcade community (a minority of customers).

I take issue with this if it affects the timing requirements of the arcade version, more or less, and there's a big difference between a fighting game and its port. I don't want huge timing windows everywhere for the sake of lag compensation.

Every home port should have online play, but we don't need every game being made with online having priority over offline. Which is not how competitive FPSes work, obviously.

Okay the inability to progress past 1st Dan offline is a totally "What the fuck were they thinking?" decision.

Namco really could have just had separate rankings for both on and offline but then they'd be ripping off Sega wouldn't they?

What a joke.

Top Bottom