• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official TEKKEN 6 "Who needs a FADC? We got RAGE!" Thread

MrMephistoX

YuriLowell said:
It looks fine.
It plays fine who gives a fuck.

I haven't had any terribly laggy matches with the normal people I play with.

I love all you cry babies and your sweet tears.

It does look fine but I'm surprised no one has picked up on Richard Li's comments in the 1UP review. Inferior graphically to the arcade version? Isn't it running off of a PS3? Methinks MS complained and the port had to be gimped to run on 360 stably.

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3176688

"The visuals aren't as striking and impressive as the arcade release; turning off the default motion blur helps a bit, but arcade purists will still be disappointed."

When I play with people on my friends list it is not laggy. But man when I play a random ranked match I see what people are complaining about, it is unplayable. So I think it is the matchmaking stuff that is broken not the netcode.

PuppetMaster said:
When I play with people on my friends list it is not laggy. But man when I play a random ranked match I see what people are complaining about, it is unplayable. So I think it is the matchmaking stuff that is broken not the netcode.

Reading this actually makes me ask the question about whether the people seeing lag are connecting or being connected to people using wireless. I know some games don't seem to suffer, bps is fine, ping is fine, blah blah, but wireless gaming is still an abomination.

MrMephistoX said:
Inferior graphically to the arcade version? Isn't it running off of a PS3?
Didn't know it looks worse than the arcade. . . I guess those it's "running on PS3 hardware tho" didn't count for much in the end.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
FUUUUUUUUUU

I AM THE KING OF IRON FIST TOURNAMENT

I AM THE KING!

THE KIIIIING!

BAM BAM BAM!

WE WILL WE WILL ROCK YOU

V_Arnold

hikarutilmitt said:
Reading this actually makes me ask the question about whether the people seeing lag are connecting or being connected to people using wireless. I know some games don't seem to suffer, bps is fine, ping is fine, blah blah, but wireless gaming is still an abomination.

Stop...hammer time.
Really, wireless gaming could well be an abomination, but when I have some people whom I can play Street Fighter IV laglessly with, and cannot play a single round of Tekken without having constant slowdown and lag present, I really wish people would stop pretending it is not the game's code, but something else.

No, it is not the wireless.
It is not the wireless joy (using wired, bah).
It is not the ISP (again, see above).
It is not the distance (again, see above).

Ea. "It is the in the game. "

V_Arnold said:
Stop...hammer time.
Really, wireless gaming could well be an abomination, but when I have some people whom I can play Street Fighter IV laglessly with, and cannot play a single round of Tekken without having constant slowdown and lag present, I really wish people would stop pretending it is not the game's code, but something else.

No, it is not the wireless.
It is not the wireless joy (using wired, bah).
It is not the ISP (again, see above).
It is not the distance (again, see above).

Ea. "It is the in the game. "

This wouldn't explain why I could play a lagless game of VF5 from San Antonio to Boston perfectly fine yet couldn't play a guy from San Antonio to DALLAS with him having the same setup except him using wireless.

V_Arnold

hikarutilmitt said:
This wouldn't explain why I could play a lagless game of VF5 from San Antonio to Boston perfectly fine yet couldn't play a guy from San Antonio to DALLAS with him having the same setup except him using wireless.

Again: wireless might tone down a lot of things, but it does not change the fact that Tekken6's netcode scales worse with distance between players increasing than other fighting games.

And that is BEFORE factoring in stuffs like wireless, the servers they are going trough, etc.

Why do people think that wireless is fine for online gaming?

Its not it gives you at least 10ms higher ping then what a wire would provide, and a wire is way more stable connection then wireless.

Owensboro

I'm sure everyone in the thread already owns it, but I just got the Fry's weekly mailer and Tekken 6 is $47.99 until 11/05/09. Just figured people might want to know!

panda21

is wireless really that bad? i never really cared enough before to bother but my ps3 is sat right next to the router now...

I had quite a few decent matches last night. Green bar seems to be the equivalent of SF4's 2-3 bar range. Yellow seems to be 50/50 for me. Sometimes it's as good as green, other times it's lag world. Red is worthless.

It's not the bad joke it was the first couple days but it's such an inconsistent experience. Sometimes I can land juggles no problem and other times I can't even follow up a launcher with a jab. Generally playable enough to be fun but not to be competitive. Not gonna touch ranked until they patch everything.

PS3 btw

Finally able to pick the game up earlier today. Played all afternoon. The game is much better than i expected it to be. It does feel like only a slight upgrade on 5HD, but that was totally expected. It doesn't look great, but it's not horrible. Models look real close to the 5HD ones, but with more detailed textures... and an overall lower resolution of course. Online is fucking worthless. The tekken force thing is kind of a waste of space.
But the game plays well, i'm having a lot of fun.

YuriLowell said:
Why do people think that wireless is fine for online gaming?

Its not it gives you at least 10ms higher ping then what a wire would provide, and a wire is way more stable connection then wireless.

You are telling me that some people think 10ms is fine? The nerve of some people.

panda21 said:
is wireless really that bad? i never really cared enough before to bother but my ps3 is sat right next to the router now...

Wireless is fine for general browsing and downloading but for gaming it's awful. You are more prone to lost packets, you have the overhead from using encryption plus if you do anything that could cause ANY interference (a freaking CEILING FAN can do it sometimes) you'll start dropping connection quality right away. Add to THAT that using channels 6 or 7 (hell, 1 or 11) is what most people suggest others use when those are some of the most crowded of the spectrum and you've got a huge latency clusterfuck.

I'm not trying to be an apologist for Tekken 6 having bad netcode, I'm sure it does. But with so many varying opinions it seems like there could be, or just plain are, other factors that most people don't consider contributing to matches being poor online.

And then there's BlazBlue's netcode which is some sort of voodoo magic regardless of the supposed connection quality. I've yet to get a bad match in that and I've played a match with a single bar.

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
MrMephistoX said:
It does look fine but I'm surprised no one has picked up on Richard Li's comments in the 1UP review. Inferior graphically to the arcade version? Isn't it running off of a PS3? Methinks MS complained and the port had to be gimped to run on 360 stably.

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3176688

"The visuals aren't as striking and impressive as the arcade release; turning off the default motion blur helps a bit, but arcade purists will still be disappointed."
How much ram does the arcade ps3 board have? Maybe arcade has more ram than the ps3 has. So that why the home port does not look as good from what people are saying. I do remember TEKKEN 2 arcade board having more ram and the TEKKEN 2 arcade board was just a ps1.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Seiken said:
FUUUUUUUUUU

I AM THE KING OF IRON FIST TOURNAMENT

I AM THE KING!

THE KIIIIING!

BAM BAM BAM!

WE WILL WE WILL ROCK YOU
Did you won ?

krazen

LOL@ the shots fired at wireless gaming as if it's causing HUGE amounts of lag.

Is wired better, of course. Hell, skip the internet itself cause LAN gaming is even better.

The fact of the matter is, there are millions of people right now playing their PS3's and Xbox's on a wireless router right now with no discernible lag on their game. Well, as long as that game isn't Tekken 6.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
krazen said:
LOL@ the shots fired at wireless gaming as if it's causing HUGE amounts of lag.

Is wired better, of course. Hell, skip the internet itself cause LAN gaming is even better.

The fact of the matter is, there are millions of people right now playing their PS3's and Xbox's on a wireless router right now with no discernible lag on their game. Well, as long as that game isn't Tekken 6.

You WILL lag on wireless at some point. The real problem is there are millions of playing having lag issues with Tekken 6- on WIRED connections.

As for BB- single bar matches seem to run well, but there is serious input delay. The netcode is good and near the best on console, but it can't do magic.

krazen

arstal said:
You WILL lag on wireless at some point. The real problem is there are millions of playing having lag issues with Tekken 6- on WIRED connections.

It would be negligible for most players, especially on consoles. Even bringing it up in the conversation is a bit absurd; I just imagine a 10 year old kid grabbing his father's drill and making a hole in the wall to the router to try to play Tekken 'wireless lag free'

krazen said:
It would be negligible for most players, especially on consoles. Even bringing it up in the conversation is a bit absurd; I just imagine a 10 year old kid grabbing his father's drill and making a hole in the wall to the router to try to play Tekken 'wireless lag free'

Run a long cable, and no its not absurd.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Gr1mLock said:
youre having alot more success with f+2,1 on oki then i am..i just tend to either 3+4-2 or dck+1 early (or fff+2)..i also cant land flck 1 to 3+4-2 for the life of me..i dont know what im doing wrong but its really one of like couple things that i cant figure out thats pissing me off

I usually only use f +2,1 when they are in a bound state. Any other time you see it its an accident. LOL

I have a hard time with the flck 1 to alb2 too... You have to really buffer the back from a f+2,1...do the flck 1 immediatley, but then wait a second before going into alb2..

its weird and really hard to hit online...

zoukka

Just tested this sucker.

The game looks just fine. Motion blur is a must. Otherwise you can really tell that it's just Tekken 5.5 DR. Except for the freaking faces of most characters! What the hell happened? Many characters look downright fugly when they were perfectly fine in Tekken 5. Had some long laughs with my friends at some of the models...

The loading times are really annoying. You don't want to change the levels just because of that fucking pause. Team battle is pretty much unplayable because of this. (and you have to realise that loading times in fighters are critical. Wouldn't care in any other genre).

We only played VS and Team Battle. And it's Tekken, so I have to like it...

But this really doesn't feel like Tekken 6 at all. There's barely any difference in animation and sound with the old characters. All of them have their ancient costumes, animations, victory poses (even the shitty ones from DR) and like I said before, some are way uglier than in Tekken 5. Stages are pretty meh too with some horrible water effects to boot.

Music was pretty good though. Some crappy pieces sure, but most of the songs were as epic as the stuff in 5.

As a whole it's easily the most unpolished, disappointing Tekken to date. And I've played them back from the first game.

kiryogi

Banned
YMMV honestly. I'm running it on a 46in samsung LED and personally I prefer the blur off. Looks godawful in comparison with it on for me.

DRE Fei

zoukka said:
As a whole it's easily the most unpolished, disappointing Tekken to date. And I've played them back from the first game.
Even worse than tekken 4? I highly doubt it. All of the other tekkens had these bullshit extra modes, but the core gameplay was always good. T4 is just trash and clearly the worst tekken for me.

kiryogi said:
YMMV honestly. I'm running it on a 46in samsung LED and personally I prefer the blur off. Looks godawful in comparison with it on for me.

I agree i have a sony kds60a3000 and i think the blur looks awful, once i turned it off i was very impressed with the graphics

RefigeKru

Banned
My brother bought this yesterday. We sat down and played for about 5 hours.

Favourite Tekken ever, looks amazing, so goooood. I knew I'd love it. :)

Also, Jin 4 lyfe.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Not enjoying this as much as I did Tekken 5. Gotta agree that the visuals aren't really all that great either, like a PS2 fighter with a high-res filter.

Toss in the bullshit endboss, the godawful need to grind through yet another shitty take on Tekken Force(WHY GOD!???) and I'm left with buyers remorse.

I do like the wireless 360 stick though, and the core fighting seems fine with some great music, but as a package, I'm underwhelmed.

panda21

zoukka said:
The game looks just fine. Motion blur is a must. Otherwise you can really tell that it's just Tekken 5.5 DR. Except for the freaking faces of most characters! What the hell happened? Many characters look downright fugly when they were perfectly fine in Tekken 5. Had some long laughs with my friends at some of the models...

I noticed that too.. some of the character models look very good, and then some of them are terrible. the sumo guy was one of the first i saw and he just looks awful. the face and skin texture is really bad.

also can anyone confirm that there is indeed no way to have the move list up while you practice other than choosing one at a time from the pause menu?! i'm sure you could do that in the updated version of DR. learning new characters is what i like best and its kind of ridiculous trying to learn 100 or so moves just by pausing and reading the list all the time.

kiryogi said:

Yeah I'm another person in favor of turning the blur off. If anything it makes the game look noticeably worse on my tv(Sammy lcd).

LowParry

If you have the PS3 version, blur off makes it look so much nicer. The higher resolution on the 360 I've yet to hear anything good of.

hclflow

Oh man, so now we have the T6 Defense Force blaming MS for for shitting up the graphics in the console port so it wouldn't look worse than the PS3 version. Right, that's EXACTLY why most multiplatform titles run equally or better on 360 than PS3. I bet MS sure pays out a lot every year just to prop up the illusion of having hardware comparable to Sony's!

And wireless connections are once again the scapegoat for atrocious netcode? You guys could at least show some originality in your absolutely inane defense of the game's total shit technical execution.

Now, before I am accosted with more moronic attempts to mitigate my opinion with standard fanboy retorts, let's keep in mind that I am angered by Namco's lousy excuse for a port. I LOVE Tekken and hate to see the franchise be treated in this lackadaisical manner by the developer. But hey, Namco hasn't exactly shined this generation, so I can't say the possibility wasn't lurking in a dark corner of my mind.

CO_Andy

panda21 said:
also can anyone confirm that there is indeed no way to have the move list up while you practice other than choosing one at a time from the pause menu?! i'm sure you could do that in the updated version of DR. learning new characters is what i like best and its kind of ridiculous trying to learn 100 or so moves just by pausing and reading the list all the time.
No, you can't keep the entire move list on-screen (and you couldn't either in DR). Completely retarded, just like scenario mode.

I'm completely underwhelmed by 6's visuals (backgrounds and character models). I mean, even Resident Evil 5 looks a hella better, and that's not even a fighting game. Remember the days when fighters looked vastly superior to anything else out there on the console (say, last generation)?

CcrooK said:
If you have the PS3 version, blur off makes it look so much nicer. The higher resolution on the 360 I've yet to hear anything good of.

yeah I did the same after playing with the blur on. I do hope though the blur stays in while keeping the 720 rez for whatever next tekken there is since all the animations look so much nicer.

MrMephistoX

hclflow said:
Oh man, so now we have the T6 Defense Force blaming MS for for shitting up the graphics in the console port so it wouldn't look worse than the PS3 version. Right, that's EXACTLY why most multiplatform titles run equally or better on 360 than PS3. I bet MS sure pays out a lot every year just to prop up the illusion of having hardware comparable to Sony's!

And wireless connections are once again the scapegoat for atrocious netcode? You guys could at least show some originality in your absolutely inane defense of the game's total shit technical execution.

Now, before I am accosted with more moronic attempts to mitigate my opinion with standard fanboy retorts, let's keep in mind that I am angered by Namco's lousy excuse for a port. I LOVE Tekken and hate to see the franchise be treated in this lackadaisical manner by the developer. But hey, Namco hasn't exactly shined this generation, so I can't say the possibility wasn't lurking in a dark corner of my mind.

Umm this is kind of a special case. The arcade hardware IS a PS3. There is no conceivable reason why the graphics should be inferior on the home version on PS3. Not my sentiments but rather Richard Li of 1UP as I haven't seen the Arcade version.

If the situation were reversed like say if there were an arcade version of Dead or Alive 4 built on 360 hardware and the 360 console version looked inferior I would call the same schenanigans.

Now if say there is more ram or something unique about the Tekken 6 hardware in the arcade that makes it more powerful than the PS3 I'd stand corrected.

panda21

CO_Andy said:
No, you can't keep the entire move list on-screen (and you couldn't either in DR). Completely retarded, just like scenario mode.

i'm sure you could in DR, i dont want the whole list on the screen! i mean when you did the hold thing to show one, you could then scroll through them all by pressing L2/R2. that seems to be missing in this which makes no sense to me, and is really annoying to someone who is new to tekken (i never bothered much with 5).

Novid

Banned
This is my first Tekken Game after just playing the demos and full games in the stores back in the day.

If they just had the arcade mode - its worth the money. The game is beyond balanced (of course theres tiers folks - Scamco tries too hard to be Toei Doga circa the 1990's OVA era and I will get to that later but they are not stupid when it comes to the actual arcade side) and would be that damn close to SF4...

If it wasnt for everything else.

Ok first off, how the flying fuck Nina can understand Jin? Its like somebody made a Universal translator and didnt tell us... To make matters worse - that section of the game has never been great even when they did a whole game using that idea with Nina.

But I could take that fine. What makes it worse is the GOD damn J-Drama Dialoge - and NOT the GOOD J-Drama that beats most CW Teen dramas - I mean the FUCKING BAD ONES. And this was mailed in. Its Scamco at its "modern" finest. You could fix online with and go back to worked in the last 5 (or so) games - and ditch this Tekken Farce. The fighters are already have charater...

This gets me to Online - and its a major point. Wireless aint good for shit. I dont care if you have 3G tunnels, fix the latency, or boost the signal. There is a reason wires are gonna stay regardless of all those Sprint Advertisements - That being said, Scamco forgot that Online was going help your product and not almost destroy it. THEY can fix it - But Sony and MS needs to put some fire in those lazy behinds.

So, Tekken 6 On the Offline side is the shit.
Tekken Force is just shit,
And the Online needs to get its shit taken care off.

Top Bottom