• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official TEKKEN 6 "Who needs a FADC? We got RAGE!" Thread

RelentlessRolento said:
Same here... I saw it at home on release and initially thought "Didn't I see the water being more awesome before?"
I'm going to CTF today to see if the arcade version has that water effect display from that "Octave" video. When I got my copy of T6, and saw that level, I was surprise how "Vanilla" the effects were for a game done in the late 2K's.

BlazingDarkness said:
Hey GAF, quick question;
Is Tekken 6 worth buying for someone who isn't the slightest bit competitive, therefore will not go online with it at all?
Is there lots of characters to unlock? Story mode? etc, i'm only interested in value for money outside of online play.
I generally buy Tekken games but i'm too busy these days to spend money a game i don't want to play in the little time i have to myself
I enjoyed Tekken 5 DR.

D'oh, quoting for the new page

also, how's the music?

BlazingDarkness said:
Hey GAF, quick question;
Is Tekken 6 worth buying for someone who isn't the slightest bit competitive, therefore will not go online with it at all?
Is there lots of characters to unlock? Story mode? etc, i'm only interested in value for money outside of online play.
I generally buy Tekken games but i'm too busy these days to spend money a game i don't want to play in the little time i have to myself
I enjoyed Tekken 5 DR.

Hmmm. I'm also not a competitive type and I have to say, this is the first Tekken that I can't stand. All characters are unlocked for all modes but you don't get any sort of rewards until you play through scenario campaign mode which is god awful and just might be Namco's attempt at a time machine since it's so fucking dated. Only when you face a main character as a boss can you use them in arena mode to unlock their endings. It's extremely lame and the game has so many aesthetic issues, it's not even funny.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
About the "night at the movies" achievement, I didn't unlock it yet. Is that unlocked when I unlock a character prologue/epilogue?

I beat the campaign finally. I have to say that campaign is probably the worst game I have had to endure this console generation. It is shockingly bad!

Why couldn't they have just had a series or regular Tekken matches in between the cut scenes? When I think of all the money, manpower, and resources that went into that was spent on that POS campaign instead of making new levels or improving the actual Tekken part of the game, it really pisses me off.

Oh well, at least now I have plenty of cash to get costumes for the "real" Tekken part of the game.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
BlazingDarkness said:
Hey GAF, quick question;
<snip>
I enjoyed Tekken 5 DR.
then you will enjoy T6. FWIW, i am competitive, but i don't go online with my fighters (not the type of 'competitiveness' i look for), and i'm enjoying T6 just as much as i did T5 before.

technically, game does have its aesthetic issues, biggest one being stages are quite bland. as in, early-last-gen bland. all the effort has clearly gone into the characters (which look quite good, btw - some of the better shading effects i've seen in a fighter this gen). so if you abstract yourself from the look of the stages, it's a current-gen tekken with an extra brawler thrown in as a bonus (i know many gaffers hate it, but i've been enjoying it - has nice tactical aspects you could not find in the core game). also, i'm willing to give the game some tech credit for having the guts to use prominent self-shadowing - it looks good most of the time, and really adds to the proper feel of the game (should have been adopted long time ago, if you ask me).

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
twinturbo2 said:
So, does anyone know why the "night at the movies" achievement didn't unlock for me?
IIRC, what unlocked it for me was beating the arena with nina (which iirc was my first beating of the arena, so it may not be nina-related).

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
blu said:
IIRC, what unlocked it for me was beating the arena with nina (which iirc was my first beating of the arena, so it may not be nina-related).
Hm, that's what I figured. Thanks, I'll try beating arena mode with Asuka and see if it unlocks.

Kolgar

Agyar said:
Sounds like I should take advantage of my new PS3, or is assuming the DS3 Dpad is any better not correct? I know the 360 dpad is fairly shocking but I haven't had much of an opportunity yet to play with the DS3 controller's dpad so I'm unsure.

I usually buy my multiplat games for 360 but with Tekken I went PS3.

I've only ever played Tekken on a DualShock and lord knows the 360 pad gives me fits even just scrolling through menus.

Not a big deal by any mean, but i got to 1rst dan in no time, but have been stuck in 1rst dan for the last 100+ wins (offline, ghost battles). What am i supposed to do to rank up? I tried beating people the same rank, slightly higher ranks, ridiculously higher ranks... nothing seems to do it. Halp?

Lumine

Alright, I'm going to post some impressions after having played the game for quite a few hours for the past couple of days including a great session with friends last night.

Bare in mind though, that I'm no hardcore competetive player, but I have been a fan since the PSX days.

I shared the same sentiments with a couple of people posting in here when I first got the game. Outside of the bitter bunch that use ridiculously awkward hyperboles to express their dissapointments of course. The aliasing really bothered me and I didn't care much for Scenario Campaign mode.

I think it's a really great game now though. This might be the best Tekken yet. It doesn't break any new grounds whatsoever, but it does offer the excellent gameplay from T5 but even smoother while offering a huge selection of great characters and features.

I also think the game looks great. I was a little bothered by the aliasing, some of the low res shadows and ground/background textures, but after playing for a while the whole thing just seems to come together. I barely notice the aliasing anymore, but find myself rather appreciating the excellent lighting, models and animations. Ironically Soul Calibur 4 had the same effect on me. I also switched the motion blur back on as it adds way more than the slightly more anti-aliasing. It's not as brilliant looking as a next-gen Tekken game I hoped would look like, but it's easily the best looking fighter currently out there.

Rage does add a slighty different tactic to the game. It creates extra tension to finish off your opponent quickly because the damage increase is quite significant. Not too sure if I think it's an improvement though. It also causes matches that go down evenly ending rather abruptly, but oh well.

Azazel isn't too bad. If you know your character well, you will defeat him quickly. If you don't, you might however find yourself dying over and over. It's a rather silly design flaw in fighters. All the fights up to the boss are way too easy, yet the difficulty increase on the final boss is way too steep.

Really digging the new characters and even more all the new moves the old ones got. Alissa kinda pissed me off though. One of my friends "discovered" her last night and she is really annoying to play against. Can't tell half the time if her silly slaps are low or middle hits.

Scenario Campain is actually more fun than I thought. I still cannot fathom why they would choose such a camera and targeting system, but hey. I'm impressed how they actually managed to get every character and their complete(?) moveset in there. After playing for a while I actually find it plays more than the actually Tekken game I thought it would at first. There's also a whole lot of levels/chapters. I consider this mode more of extra to the main game, but it adds more gameplay than I expected. Still dissapointed though they didn't go for a static camera. One more like in DMC/GOW games or perhaps even better 2.5D like in the Lego Starwars/batman games. At least that would've give the option to throw in local co-op. Having local co-op would've made it so much better.

I haven't tried online yet. So I'll get back to you guys on that after having tested it properly. I just hope Namco is planning on giving this game lots of support for its online component.

So yeah, enjoying this game immensly. It's still Tekken and it's good.
If you're a Tekken fan I would say this is a must buy.
If you're a fighting game fan, but never tried Tekken I would very much recommend this.
If you're looking for some sort of epic singleplayer experience, your money is probably better spent elsewhere. Scenario Campain is more of an extra, but even outside that you would still find many hours of gameplay in the main game versus the cpu.
If you're looking for a great online comptetive scene you might want to hold out for now. We will have to see how that turns out.

Anso

Xevren said:
Have to play online to get past 1st dan. Pretty stupid really, should have a rank for online and one for offline.

This is like THE biggest (and easiest) thing they should patch imo. That and recording in training mode. I hardly go online anyway, Tekken community is decent in Stockholm.

Speaking of Stockholm, got a fresh black t-shirt at the release beat-the-champ tournament. Almost won over him but DAMN they've changed Wang so much I hardly recognize his moves. After two days of play though I can say it's all for the better :3

EDIT: I can't be the only one who ENJOYS playing Scenarion Campaign.... right?

BlazingDarkness said:
Hey GAF, quick question;
I enjoyed Tekken 5 DR.
Depends, really. To start, is this person already a gamer? If so, I'd say they'll like it. Even though all the characters are unlocked from the get-go in Versus and stuff, I'm going to find myself spending a lot of time going through Practice with all of them to see who I like best.

It's always fun watching a move and then repeating it successfully (at least to me)--especially when said move is awesome.

He'll be kept pretty busy with Scenario Campaign, unlocking characters for the arena as they beat those characters so they can go through a short arcade-style set up and view their endings.

I'm the black sheep in this thread, though, it seems: I like the 360 d-pad a lot and am really enjoying Scenario Campaign <_< So, take that as you will :p

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and the music is fucking awesome in 1v1 stages; however, it's a bit lacking in Scenario Campaign Mode.

Shurs

I just got this in the mail today for PS3. Does it bump the resolution on PS3 if motion blur is disabled, or is that just on 360?

How come TTT looks better than this? Sure, T6 may have a higher resolution and a slightly higher poly count but WTF?!

In that stage where it goes from night to day (while your shadow stays still lol), that is supposed to be grass you're fighting on. TTT had grass fields. T5 had a grass field. In VF5, they did ground breaking, snow, and water effects much better. Hell, they even simulated characters getting wet. Not the case here.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Barkley's Justice said:
do i, like, upgrade my characters' powers in campaign mode somehow? some of these boss battles are kicking my ass and honestly that shouldnt be happening?

Certain items have extra buffs and resistances, and I assume it's for this mode only.

I've seen one or two that extends the health bar, again I think (and hope) it's for Scenario Campaign only?

Accident

tekken1030.jpg

Namco Bandai sent out a press release today boasting that it has shipped over 2.5 million copies of Tekken 6 worldwide. Now, we don't want to tell Namco how to do its job, but these shipment numbers tend to be more impressive when you give the game a week or so in stores, so we can more readily infer a connection between shipped copies and sold copies.

The portion of those 2.5 million earmarked for Europe, for example, just got there today, and it's only been in stores for around two days in North America. All we know based on this is that Namco expects to sell a ton of copies, not that it is selling a ton. Although we're sure it will.

Maybe that's the idea -- to build excitement about Tekken 6 by showing how confident the publisher is. To print up 2.5 million of the things (some of which come in totally huge boxes), Namco must really believe it's on to something!

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/10/31/namco-announces-2-5-million-shipped-copies-of-tekken-6/

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
MoonsaultSlayer said:
How come TTT looks better than this? Sure, T6 may have a higher resolution and a slightly higher poly count but WTF?!

In that stage where it goes from night to day (while your shadow stays still lol), that is supposed to be grass you're fighting on. TTT had grass fields. T5 had a grass field. In VF5, they did ground breaking, snow, and water effects much better. Hell, they even simulated characters getting wet. Not the case here.
TTT looked better then T4 & 5 in someways too, but really it wasn't
T6 looked as good as any next gen fighter if not better....well in motion anyway

So I just got this and the stock controller isn't cutting it - what's the best arcade stick I can get for PS3? Is the wireless one available separately?

Anso

LiveFromKyoto said:
So I just got this and the stock controller isn't cutting it - what's the best arcade stick I can get for PS3? Is the wireless one available separately?

Street Fighter IV Tournament Edition stick from MadCatz.

Anso

Tiger uppercut said:
well, you could get the standard edition.

Yeah, if you want to upgrade later you can mod the Standard Edition with Sanwa parts and it's just as good, although smaller. That's what I have atm, works like a charm.

Anso

The bonus stage in scenario campaign is BRUTAL. Way worse than Azazel could possibly be. Any tips? Or do I just have to level up Alisa until she's respectable? Also, is it possible to access her customization in some way without having to use her as my main character?

Anso

Relix said:
Lili for God Tier! love the bitch =P

Actually, rumour has it Lili, Lars, Law, Steve and Bob are all S-tier at the moment. But hey, the game just came out on consoles.. it's only a matter of time until that's shuffled around.

"Actually, rumour has it Lili, Lars, Law, Steve and Bob are all S-tier at the moment. But hey, the game just came out on consoles.. it's only a matter of time until that's shuffled around."

BR's been out for almost a year, mang. You're not going to see much change.

Anso

Teknopathetic said:
"Actually, rumour has it Lili, Lars, Law, Steve and Bob are all S-tier at the moment. But hey, the game just came out on consoles.. it's only a matter of time until that's shuffled around."

BR's been out for almost a year, mang. You're not going to see much change.

Don't piss on my parade :(

Although seriously, stranger things has happened. When console gamers get playing there's a whole other world of locking yourself in with a char in practice and just abusing the crap out of him/her.

...you're probably right though :lol

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Anso said:
The bonus stage in scenario campaign is BRUTAL. Way worse than Azazel could possibly be. Any tips? Or do I just have to level up Alisa until she's respectable? Also, is it possible to access her customization in some way without having to use her as my main character?
IDK, I'm just playing until I max out Weeaboo Robot Girl so I can get that achievement.

Relix said:
Lili is awesome :D
Beat Azazael in Arcade. What a bitch, did it on my first try though. Normal.
yeah shes the shit. i use her when i dont wanna loose :D . Miguel is the man too, im trying to get better at him.

they changed Bryan a little but hes still a bad ass.
672423-tekken6_bryan_large.jpg

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
TOM f'N CRUISE said:
yeah shes the shit. i use her when i dont wanna loose :D . Miguel is the man too, im trying to get better at him.

they changed Bryan a little but hes still a bad ass.
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/9169/672423-tekken6_bryan_large.jpg[/IMG]

I am fucking 20-4 and I played Tekken 6 for the first time today. First Tekken game I play in eons too. I have an innate feeling for fighting games though :lol

Top Bottom