• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official TEKKEN 6 "Who needs a FADC? We got RAGE!" Thread

RpgN

I haven't DL the patch yet, but I've played 3 matches online before (ps3) and it ran smoothly, all of them. Was I just lucky? I think the game's online is good, but it becomes bad with a far country and you couldn't select which region to play with, maybe that's why some people had lag? Lol or maybe I was just lucky and it sucked. Either way, good news about the patch. I can't wait to DL it.

GrayFoxPL

Dahbomb said:
That scenario campaign is a joke... :lol I will not be spending any time on that.

You will. For money and free items. When your favorite pants cost 2.000.000 and you earn 10k per fight, you'll give in to scenario campaign. Yes that mode is shitty.

MarkMan said:

Peeps bewagon jumping, huh? :D

Btw. Do you know if there be saved Tekken stream from norcal regionals? Still nothing. :\

V_Arnold

Good god, finally Namco gave me a REAL reason to love this game, because I have no IRL chance to go to any Arcades (oh, wait we got some TTT/T4 machines around here, with rusty control panels :D), and after the patch, all 4-s are totally good. Juggle combos with Lars I could not pull off before patch, now I can.

Very good.

Sectus

Hmm, okay, my first few matches were surprisingly playable, but after that I've gotten into a few matches which feel more like the usual bad Tekken 6 online.

I've got a theory that maybe the new patch is primarily all about matchmaking. I'm getting into games with europeans all the time now, instead of americans most of the time like before the patch. And I'm fairly sure the ping bars are lower compared to what they used to be (ie, an old 3 bar would be a 2 bar now, with the same ping that is).

Sectus

God damnit, I just can't find any matches at all now which were as good as the first ones I got into with the patch. I'm starting to believe I was super lucky and got hooked up with a norwegian player for the first few matches (which would be the first time in T6). I still get occasionally the same amount of annoying input lag.

I'm becoming more convinced the patch is just improved matchmaking and it actually tries to find matches based on connection. And the lower ping bars has a psychological effect which makes me think "Hey, yellow ping bars actually play well now!"
They used to be green.

There's probably some tweaks to the actual netcode, but there's still an ugly amount of input lag in most of the matches I play. And god damn fucking damnit, people who spam one single move are still annoying as hell. Are they having fun playing the game like that?

MMaRsu

ShinobiFist said:
What infinite combos? I hope your exaggerating about the 9-10 hit bound combos.
Once again folks, don't forget about Neogaf's Online gamertags for T6BR PSN/XBL thread
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=377746

I mean I like combo's as much as the next guy, but when I used to play Tekken 2/3 with my friends, I wouldn't go for juggles and shit. I mean sure you can have some combo's, but doing basically the same move over and over again so that I can't get up at all, in my opinion is pretty fucked up.

Maybe that's just the way Tekken is now, but I don't like to play the game that way. It's a pretty cheap tactic if you ask me.

Anyanka

No, there's 100% been improvements to the netcode. Before I thought even max bars was garbage.

I played 50+ matches with players that I live within 200 miles of. Teal bars were very good. Green was decent. Often couldn't punish hopkicks even with jabs, hard to break throws, it was probably the equivelent of DRO green bars but actually stable.

V_Arnold

Sectus said:
There's probably some tweaks to the actual netcode, but there's still an ugly amount of input lag in most of the matches I play. And god damn fucking damnit, people who spam one single move are still annoying as hell. Are they having fun playing the game like that?

With this mindset, you should not even play the game, to be honest. Not to start a flame, but it is the thing that comes with EVERY game which can be played online. You either prepare for it, work a strategy that destroys "one move spammer", and continue on fast (and play with people from GAF/SRK/etc), or you cant go around it, meaning the spammers are better suited for winning in your match.

And while it can be seen as irritating if there is a lot, but you can learn a lot in these fights. A LOT. To be consistently good, to watch out for it, and to work out the counters for "spammed" moves. You will need it in the long run : )

kiryogi

Banned
psn tekken gaf! Let's make use of the psnchat again :lol That said, after playing some online and getting juggled bad. Actually went offline to do some training and learn some juggles. Still quite scrub, but I love it. It's all starting to click and more so. Let's do this online! Later today maybe. I need to go to sleep bad XD Gotta make turkey in 2-3 hours

Sectus

V_Arnold said:
With this mindset, you should not even play the game, to be honest. Not to start a flame, but it is the thing that comes with EVERY game which can be played online. You either prepare for it, work a strategy that destroys "one move spammer", and continue on fast (and play with people from GAF/SRK/etc), or you cant go around it, meaning the spammers are better suited for winning in your match.

And while it can be seen as irritating if there is a lot, but you can learn a lot in these fights. A LOT. To be consistently good, to watch out for it, and to work out the counters for "spammed" moves. You will need it in the long run : )
... it's still fucking boring. If every person online started only spamming one move, I'd stop to play right away. It's part of the reason why I started to hate SC4 online. Everybody chose Kilik and Cervantes and spammed the same moves. I learned how to deal with them, but it was still fucking frustrating and boring to play against them most of the time.

Sectus said:
God damnit, I just can't find any matches at all now which were as good as the first ones I got into with the patch. I'm starting to believe I was super lucky and got hooked up with a norwegian player for the first few matches (which would be the first time in T6). I still get occasionally the same amount of annoying input lag.

I'm becoming more convinced the patch is just improved matchmaking and it actually tries to find matches based on connection. And the lower ping bars has a psychological effect which makes me think "Hey, yellow ping bars actually play well now!"
They used to be green.

I don't have the game, but I reckon you might have better luck with proper connections later in the day. I don't think many Europeans with good Internet speeds will be online at this time of day, as I've personally noticed in numerous peer-to-peer online games.

GrayFoxPL

MMaRsu said:
I mean I like combo's as much as the next guy, but when I used to play Tekken 2/3 with my friends, I wouldn't go for juggles and shit. I mean sure you can have some combo's, but doing basically the same move over and over again so that I can't get up at all, in my opinion is pretty fucked up.

Maybe that's just the way Tekken is now, but I don't like to play the game that way. It's a pretty cheap tactic if you ask me.

Omg, I just don't know what to say.

I really hope my sarcasm detector is broken.

Sectus

GrayFoxPL said:
Omg, I just don't know what to say.

I really hope my sarcasm detector is broken.
I think he's pretty much serious. I've played with different people in real life who has very specific "house rules". Like one friend of mine is absolutely convinced that any form of ground attack in Soul Calibur is cheap and never should be used. He also thinks that anyone using Astaroth is cheating.

V_Arnold

MMaRsu said:

There is no such thing as cheap tactic in any fighting game.
There is only a tactic or a move which works, and moves which does not against the enemy.

I knock someone down in T6. There is a ground followup if he does not immediately starts backrolling. I use it. Oh, it works. Knockdown again. Does he roll back? No? Nice, the same ground followup will work, right? Oh, it works.

So whose fault is it that those move can and will be abused against the player who fails to adapt even a little? And if you know you are up against someone who knows that you WILL adapt at the third time, and go for the one followup reserved against backrolling enemies, that just means he planned ahead properly.

Cheap tactics require players who are too lazy or too weak or too irritated to adapt.
I still remember "wtf, cheap Kens, spamming shoryukens" stuff. Was it true? Yes. Did everyone who had even a little interest in the game learn that SRK is a very good punishing tool if we try some unsafe stuff? YES!

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Just played the patch for a half hour.

SF4 quality netcode in my eyes, even down to what the bars meant.

Some people will still be disappointed, but I'm not. This is the netcode I expected with the game on day 1. It's a shame Namco didn't wait to put this out- that decision prob cost them a ton of money.

Some things I don't like

-regions are too big. They should all be split into two.
-Still think money rewards for online play are way too low

Hopefully Namco fixes these two things in the next patch, but I won't bitch if they don't.

I can actually take a break from SFIV online now and I'm interested in Tekken again. I'm going to switch off Asuka maybe though. Zafina or LIng maybe?

MMaRsu

Sectus said:
I think he's pretty much serious. I've played with different people in real life who has very specific "house rules". Like one friend of mine is absolutely convinced that any form of ground attack in Soul Calibur is cheap and never should be used. He also thinks that anyone using Astaroth is cheating.

Yeah I'm serious. I mean I consider myself a pretty decent SFIV player, I'm allright with SC too but I just really dislike constant juggles and ground attacks so that I can't get up. I mean, shit give me a chance to fight back at least -_-.

GrayFoxPL

Sectus said:

"Hey! Don't hit me when I'm not ready!"

It reminds me old Jackie Chan movies where Jackie's usually a punching bag for spoiled rich brat in some kung fu school: "Stop blocking! Stop blocking! Let me hit you!".

zoukka

MMaRsu said:
Yeah I'm serious. I mean I consider myself a pretty decent SFIV player, I'm allright with SC too but I just really dislike constant juggles and ground attacks so that I can't get up. I mean, shit give me a chance to fight back at least -_-.

You just suck man face it :lol

MMaRsu

V_Arnold said:
There is no such thing as cheap tactic in any fighting game.
There is only a tactic or a move which works, and moves which does not against the enemy.

I knock someone down in T6. There is a ground followup if he does not immediately starts backrolling. I use it. Oh, it works. Knockdown again. Does he roll back? No? Nice, the same ground followup will work, right? Oh, it works.

So whose fault is it that those move can and will be abused against the player who fails to adapt even a little? And if you know you are up against someone who knows that you WILL adapt at the third time, and go for the one followup reserved against backrolling enemies, that just means he planned ahead properly.

Cheap tactics require players who are too lazy or too weak or too irritated to adapt.
I still remember "wtf, cheap Kens, spamming shoryukens" stuff. Was it true? Yes. Did everyone who had even a little interest in the game learn that SRK is a very good punishing tool if we try some unsafe stuff? YES!

I understand what you are saying, but if I'm knocked into a wall, and I can't roll back, and the dude keeps spamming attack's, what the hell am I supposed to do? I'm not saying I can't win at all, because I've already won a couple of online matches, I just dislike the way some people play that's all. Not trying to be a bitch about it or anything :p.

zoukka said:
You just suck man face it :lol

Compared to competative Tekken players yes. This is my first Tekken in years which I'm trying to get back into. In the old days me and my friends used to play Tekken all the time, but never like that. And one of my friends is a beast in SC.

Different folks, different strokes.

V_Arnold

MMaRsu said:
I understand what you are saying, but if I'm knocked into a wall, and I can't roll back, and the dude keeps spamming attack's, what the hell am I supposed to do? I'm not saying I can't win at all, because I've already won a couple of online matches, I just dislike the way some people play that's all. Not trying to be a bitch about it or anything :p.

First of all, be aware of your surroundings. You cant be knocked to a wall unless you put your back against it - which is dangerous stuff. Consider that a warning, and bail out as fast as you can, or else you have lost the game in the moment you got hit and you are near a wall...

GrayFoxPL

MMaRsu said:

Roll to the side.

Seriously this is ABC, don't roll back if the oponnent isn't miles away from you.

Tech left, tech right.

Stay down and roll normally left or right.

Get up low guarding u~db.

Ancle kick.

Spring forward.

etc.

Seriously there's so many possibilities it's not funny.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
V_Arnold said:
First of all, be aware of your surroundings. You cant be knocked to a wall unless you put your back against it - which is dangerous stuff. Consider that a warning, and bail out as fast as you can, or else you have lost the game in the moment you got hit and you are near a wall...

Put your back from half-screen away and get launched into it perhaps.

This is why I don't like Bound- it makes it too early to carry someone to a wall in my eyes. VF5 did bound a lot better.

Lumine

Juggles were already a huge part of the game in Tekken 2/3 MMaRsu. Outside the strings, they're this game's way to do combo's and to punish a player who didn't block your launcher. Hell, it even says it huge in the game. The info bar frequently tells you that learning how to juggle is an essential part to winning a match.

Personally though, most of the juggling is quite easy to do. Most characters have a couple of obvious launchers where you just add a simple string of moves after it while your opponent still hangs in the air. That's all there is to it.

The real key is actually to avoid these launchers alltogether by blocking, dodging in time and making sure you learn this game's wake up game. All easy stuff to do, and all explained in the game's manual. The only trick here is to get used to the game's timing which is actually pretty mild.

Don't give up so quickly just because you're used to SC4/SF4. ;)

MMaRsu

Lumine said:
Juggles were already a huge part of the game in Tekken 2/3 MMaRsu. Outside the strings, they're this game's way to do combo's and to punish a player who didn't block your launcher. Hell, it even says it huge in the game. The info bar frequently tells you that learning how to juggle is an essential part to winning a match.

Personally though, most of the juggling is quite easy to do. Most characters have a couple of obvious launchers where you just add a simple string of moves after it while your opponent still hangs in the air. That's all there is to it.

The real key is actually to avoid these launchers alltogether by blocking, dodging in time and making sure you learn this game's wake up game. All easy stuff to do, and all explained in the game's manual. The only trick here is to get used to the game's timing which is actually pretty mild.

Don't give up so quickly just because you're used to SC4/SF4. ;)

Heh thanks for the info guys. Allright I won't give up on it ( wasn't planning on it either ). There isn't a practice mode is there? Basically all I've been playing is offline matches and ghost matches. SC sucks ass and online was really bad before today, glad to see it's fixed though, now I can really get into it :D.

GrayFoxPL

MMaRsu said:
Heh thanks for the info guys. Allright I won't give up on it ( wasn't planning on it either ). There isn't a practice mode is there? Basically all I've been playing is offline matches and ghost matches. SC sucks ass and online was really bad before today, glad to see it's fixed though, now I can really get into it :D.

It's hidden under the "Practice Mode" label in mode selection screen. :D

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
GrayFoxPL said:
It's hidden under the "Practice Mode" label in mode selection screen. :D
OH SNAP!
:lol

So the patch is really an improvement?

V_Arnold

MMaRsu said:

Oh, there is a practice mode. And what is even better is that you can go into defensive practice, choose a character, select all his launchers and his two throws, and order him to mix these up, which he will, with a set speed (slow, medium, fast) - and you are able to get used to those, and defend accordingly.

Sectus said:
... it's still fucking boring. If every person online started only spamming one move, I'd stop to play right away. It's part of the reason why I started to hate SC4 online. Everybody chose Kilik and Cervantes and spammed the same moves. I learned how to deal with them, but it was still fucking frustrating and boring to play against them most of the time.

I dont know about you but I grew up playing fighters in my local arcades and yeah back then it was annoying to play the same people who would pick the same characters and spam the same moves over and over.
Now with beat-em-ups going online, I tend to find variety in most matches online and somehow knowing that you are not fighting the same guy over and over again is refreshing, at least for me.

Wait! I just re-read the first sentence I wrote, sounds like I was going into the IDK about you, I'm an expert.... territory:lol

luka

Loves Robotech S1
diarrhea_pangs said:
I dont know about you but I grew up playing fighters in my local arcades and yeah back then it was annoying to play the same people who would pick the same characters and spam the same moves over and over.
Now with beat-em-ups going online, I tend to find variety in most matches online and somehow knowing that you are not fighting the same guy over and over again is refreshing, at least for me.

Wait! I just re-read the first sentence I wrote, sounds like I was going into the IDK about you, I'm an expert.... territory:lol

Fighting games just shot themselves in the foot etc...

I'm still not too sure how I feel about the massive juggle combo monstrosity tekken has become, but it's damn fun to pull them off and it makes defensive game a much higher priority against skilled players. There are plenty of ways to get out of them, it's just learning to judge the situation and recognize an opening.
I think tekken's 'semi-realistic' approach to its fighting mechanics (somewhere between VF and SF) is the most satisfying I've experienced in any fighter.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
luka said:
Fighting games just shot themselves in the foot etc...

I'm still not too sure how I feel about the massive juggle combo monstrosity tekken has become, but it's damn fun to pull them off and it makes defensive game a much higher priority against skilled players. There are plenty of ways to get out of them, it's just learning to judge the situation and recognize an opening.
I think tekken's 'semi-realistic' approach to its fighting mechanics (somewhere between VF and SF) is the most satisfying I've experienced in any fighter.

Just be glad you don't play vs a good Jeff in VF. His whole game is killing you in two combos off his knee. Everything else he does is to make you respect that so he can hit you with the knee.

Calcaneus

So yeah, this is definitely an upgrade. A lot less terrible matches.

Best thing about the improved netcode, I'm back to where I should be win/loss wise. I'm not an amazing Tekken player, but I rarely lost before because of all the terrible lag. So yeah, feels good to be back to normal.

I'm hearing nothing but good things about the patch. Now this is the game I will pay money for. 40 bucks tomorrow at Gamestop. Ill be there. Looks like MW2 is headed out the door.

Degen

Master Thespian said:
Patch = SEX. I haven't lost a match since it came out. Lag abuse FTL. A lot of people are going to have a much harder time winning without their bullshit.
You can feel Kazuya and Lee's silent rage.

Law is as ridiculous-tier as ever, though :lol

Dahbomb

Man I feel like I have aged horrendously. I don't know why but I think my reflexes have gone down or I have just been away from Tekken for far too long. I feel like a scrub again, I can't pull off my usual juggles, my blocking is way off (WTF is something different about the blocking?), I can't wave dash properly... I could blame it on the 360 controller which is my first time playing Tekken on it but there is something else I can't put my finger on.

Game is great though, it seems I will be spending a lot of time on it.

STILL NOT TOUCHING CAMPAIGN SCENARIO!

Can anyone give a rundown of the intrinsic mechanic changes from Tekken 5.0 to the Tekken 6 that is in my 360? Thanks in advance. Stuff like changes in pace, movements, animations, mechanics etc. Stuff that wouldn't be obvious to a layman (clearly, my cousin thinks Tekken 6 is exactly like Tekken 5 and I feel the opposite).

LowParry

Kadey said:
And we can all thank Marky for helping get the point across to Bamco. Now tell them I want a new Xenosaga. :D

I second this request by a billion. Thanks MM for being there for us players!

Patched 360, played it - new net code is like swimming in sex, all the 4-5 bar connections I've played could have been sitting next to me for all I knew, really really impressed.

Out of curiosity are there secret items which can only be got in Scenario through drops? I keep seeing people wearing stuff that I have been unable to purchase, any ideas?

LowParry

i hate bees said:
Patched 360, played it - new net code is like swimming in sex, all the 4-5 bar connections I've played could have been sitting next to me for all I knew, really really impressed.

Out of curiosity are there secret items which can only be got in Scenario through drops? I keep seeing people wearing stuff that I have been unable to purchase, any ideas?

There are some things you can get by getting the Lucky roulette or whatever but not entirely sure what it gives you. I know it can give you a different rage color but that's all I know.

yeb

Played a little online earlier, and it's actually... enjoyable? Amazing! The topic title should be updated now that the console version's out of beta, imo.

Seriously though, Scamco Namco probably cost themselves so much money by releasing the game with such a major flaw. MarkMan should be their Seth Killian.

Edit: Now if only the game didn't crash half the time when I try to go online. Anyone know what's up with that? It happened before the patch too, but it didn't bother me as much when the online sucked.

Top Bottom