• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official TEKKEN 6 "Who needs a FADC? We got RAGE!" Thread

unomas

Banned
tapedeck said:
Just got this in mail yesterday, got it on PS3 for $29.99 from Amazon. I am LOVING this game, been learning Miguel, so much fun. Maybe cause I went in with low expectations due to the backlash when it was released but I think it does what its supposed very well..I also dont plan on playing this online so the bad net code is a non factor.

I think the game looks pretty damn good overall. What is the consensus on having motion blur on or off?? I tried it both ways and it seems like its a bit clearer with it off. Is there any hard data on framerates with it on and off? Nitpicky I know but Im really curious.

Also FUCK scenario campaign...I find it incredibly annoying and I suck at it. I wish there was a code to unlock all items in the game at once so I wouldnt have to bother with it.

After a break from scenario campaign for about 3 weeks I'm getting ready to go back at it for some reason. If you're frustrated with it now....just wait until later on. I've yet to beat it, but the difficulty gets ramped up to epic and cheap proportions.

Teknopathetic said:
So, after a day of playing, 2 things struck me.

1) Maybe it's because I'd actually *played* T5DR a little before I got Tekken 6, but it looks *way* better than people led me to believe. It has shit IQ, but all console games have shit IQ. Maybe I'm immune to caring about that. Lighting and motion blur really add to it, though.

2) Patched netcode on par with SF4? lolno. Could be due to the way the game works instead of actual technical inferiority, but the end result isn't quite as good.
No, man. It looks terrible. But it moves so fluidly that I care not! In that sense, it's a triumph.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Teknopathetic said:
So, after a day of playing, 2 things struck me.

1) Maybe it's because I'd actually *played* T5DR a little before I got Tekken 6, but it looks *way* better than people led me to believe. It has shit IQ, but all console games have shit IQ. Maybe I'm immune to caring about that. Lighting and motion blur really add to it, though.

Yep. I do not mind the low resolution nearly as much as I thought I would. I mean, how many console games these days run at 60fps WITH per pixel motion blur? It's a fine trade off in my eyes.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Teknopathetic said:
Free ego boost to who ever wants it.

PSN: MoodyShuffle
Give me 30 minutes.
Im going to buy the game right now :D

Teknopathetic said:
Free ego boost to who ever wants it.

PSN: MoodyShuffle

I came for the free ego boost but left with bitter, digital tears. ;_;

I will avenge myself Teknopathetic. Thankfully nobody counts records during friendlies. ;_; The connection was pretty good at 2 / 5 bars, surprisingly.

ps. Fersis you suck!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
wackojackosnose said:
I came for the free ego boost but left with bitter, digital tears. ;_;

I will avenge myself Teknopathetic. Thankfully nobody counts records during friendlies. ;_; The connection was pretty good at 2 / 5 bars, surprisingly.

ps. Fersis you suck!
True fact : It was my first Tekken 6 match and the lag was awful.(Thats why i left the lobby)
That being said... I WON A ROUND!!! IN YO FACE!!
;)

DR2K

Banned
The online is amazing. Played a few ranked matches. The competition blows though. I mean I ran into a Christie player with a 50-50 with ratio who just mashed kicks all the time. How the fuck do you lose to that, lol? Made short work out of him. It seems as if there are a lot of new players on PSN as well. So that's always good.

Fersis

Teknopathetic said:
GGs to wackojackosnose, Fersis (kinda, didn't get to play!), and luka.
Sorry man, i had to go and i was lagging. Ill play today.

Quick impressions:
*It looks amaaaazing, the game in motion is really pretty.
*Worst boss design ever? Yeah.
*Whats the deal with the campaign mode? awful
*Every item is expensive, a simple shirt : 400,0000 points.
*Gameplay is top notch.

Baker

Banned
Throw me into the cheap amazon bandwagon camp too!

Quick impressions:

- Graphics, ugh.
- Scenario Mode, ugh. It almost made me glad FF13 isn't coming here until March because I don't want to see another cutscene ever.
- Joystick, awesome. I've heard a couple people say it's just a repackaged Fighting Stick 3 but I think it feels and handles a shit-ton better.

I haven't played a Tekken super-seriously since 3 and I never played defense so I'm getting my ass kicked online. I bought the guide for $12 so I'll sit down with it over the weekend and get some skills back hopefully.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
I can easily understand the criticisms this game gets. SC4 did the little things MUCH better then Tekken 6 does- and I don't think either one is better then the other gameplaywise.
Hopefully Namco's content patch gives gold rush mode, I'm not sitting through Scenario Grind. (If I want grinding I'll play a MUD)

(hard to compare since so different in focus, and my bias would be against Tekken-styled games)

I'd be more hype now for a SC5 then a Tekken 7.

LowParry

Ya know, all that needs to be done for quick easy cash is Mokujin's stage. Run through it about 4 times and you come out close to or over 15 million. I should probably start playing again here soon. SFIV has me by the balls though right now cause I'm having fuuuuuun.

Fersis

So since im the official Tekken 6 GAF noob... which characters do you guys recommend?
I like Steve, he is a boxer... like Balrog :D

EDIT: You guys already know it, but King moveset is full of real wrestling moves, even some from the WWE. (Like Rock Bottom) :lol

Fersis said:
So since im the official Tekken 6 GAF noob... which characters do you guys recommend?
I like Steve, he is a boxer... like Balrog :D

EDIT: You guys already know it, but King moveset is full of real wrestling moves, even some from the WWE. (Like Rock Bottom) :lol

You can go the way all the noobs go and choose Eddy lol

If any of you guys wanna do some matches add me on PSN (Metalmurphy)

Fersis

Metalmurphy said:
You can go the way all the noobs go and choose Eddy lol

If any of you guys wanna do some matches add me on PSN (Metalmurphy)
Like Ken on SFIV? No thanks, im thinking on :
Steve (Because he is a boxer like Balrog)
Dragunov (Because he looks bad ass)
King (I love wrasslin')

for some reason I want to play all these newcomers but it's mean.

Also, starting january when I get back from NYC for the holidays (wooh! go blip festival) I'll be planning on hosting a regular game night. I need practice and people to practice with since I don't have the old T5 crew I use to have that made me who I am as a Tekken player now.

If anyone wants to add me on XBL (note, my list is near full so dont be surpried if I cant add you):

RelntlssRolento

but in January when I get my PS3 working I'll be doing game nights there, here's my PSN ID:

Rolento

^_^

btw I main Dragunov it makes anyone feel better.

EDIT:

Metalmurphy said:
I'd say King is probably your best option. I find Steve to be very limited. Dragunov I can't say, haven't played with him much.

Really? Best start with Dragunov due to ease of use, then move to King, and then last go to Steve.

By no means is Steve limited. Geeze the guy can pretty much fly around you most of the match.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Teknopathetic said:
Alisa sux. :( I want some gimmicks. Teach me some gimmicks, markman!

Do you use f,f,f+2 punch?

That shit is so good! Yes it's high, but on block, thats where the fun begins.

If it hits, free f+1+2, good damage. Learn how to do it instantly.

Dahbomb

Just giving my impressions here:

*Great fucking game play! I was a major Raven player back in the Tekken 5 and I love the variety that they have placed in his mix up game. The new shadow stance is awesome and the moves that come off of it are also awesome. A lot of the additions, changes etc. to the moves to my favorite characters have been favorable with those that needed nerfing (Devil jin I saw was changed, his b, f+2, 1 d/f+2 doesn't launch up anymore) have been nerfed accordingly. I have played around only with like 10 characters... SO SO MANY CHARACTERS WITH SO SO MANY MOVES! :D

I am also having a blast with the combos and new bound system, I just wished that some of the sample combos had a key list to them so I know how to perform them without having to search the entire movelist again.

*Campaign scenario is shit... holy fuck! I wouldn't have cared if this was just a mode and you only got like 1 achievement for beating it but it seems like half the achievements are for beating this shitty mode! And good god at the prices of some of these items.. :( Scramco really went out of their way to MAKE you play this mode. That other guy was right about me eventually going to be playing this mode.

*Graphics are solid, they don't look that great when in stills but in motion they shine. Just 1 question: Motion Blur On or Off? IQ is better with off but during motion, motion blur on looks really cool. I am torn here... which is ultimately better?

*Haven't tried online yet, been playing locally with my cousin.

Really not much else to say about Tekken 6, it's Tekken... if you like it then GET IT if you don't like it then... this will not change your opinion on the franchise at all.

unomas

Banned
Does anyone have any tips on who to use as your main character in scenario campaign mode? For those of you who have beat it who did you use? I've been using Lei, and I'm at the point where you fight
Alisa but I can't beat this bitch to save my life
. So I'm a little frustrated and I'm treasure farming with Lei right now to build him up the best I can, but I still can't pass it. Any tips would be appreciated, once I get done with the campaign I'm looking to go on PSN for online matches.

Agyar

MarkMan said:
Do you use f,f,f+2 punch?

That shit is so good! Yes it's high, but on block, thats where the fun begins.

If it hits, free f+1+2, good damage. Learn how to do it instantly.

I need a cheap gimmick guide like this for every character, so that I can beat people in my lounge room while selecting random characters. Help me out, GAF!

JEKKI

I was happy coz with the fixed netcode I was able to pull myself out of a 40+ loss deficit on ranked matches.

I finally hit an even 50% today!! but once that happened I ran into a continuous string of my worst enemy of all time,

lag.

now I'm down 5 coz history's repeating itself again!!!

it breaks my heart when I pull off a sweet SS 3 or AOP uf+3 3 only to realize how there's no way I can take advantage of the damage opportunity I would have had under better circumstances ;_;

JEKKI said:
I was happy coz with the fixed netcode I was able to pull myself out of a 40+ loss deficit on ranked matches.

I finally hit an even 50% today!! but once that happened I ran into a continuous string of my worst enemy of all time,

lag.

now I'm down 5 coz history's repeating itself again!!!

it breaks my heart when I pull off a sweet SS 3 or AOP uf+3 3 only to realize how there's no way I can take advantage of the damage opportunity I would have had under better circumstances ;_;

lemme know when u wanna fight.

Jubs

Got the game (PS3), but haven't played online yet. Trying to get used to the new/changed movelists. I play as Dragunov, and trying to get my Bryan back up to speed. Is it me, or is the pacing of the game a bit slower than Tekken 5? Probably feels a bit slower cuz I'm pounding on a stationary dummy in practice. Really need to get online.

Add me on PSN (Jubbery) for some matches. I'll also persue this thread and the T6 thread in the online forum to add some folks.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Teknopathetic said:
I already knew about that one! I don't use it much, though :/. Guess, I should.

f,f,f+2 on block is where all the fun begins.

Basically with Alisa I use 1,1... d/f+4... d/b+3, and f,f,f+2 lol.

d/f+2 when I know it will hit etc.

I whiff/SS punish with b+3+4...

u/f+4,4 too... easy damage combos after those hit.

DR2K

Banned
Just for reference. 1 is square, 2 is triangle, 3 is x, and 4 is O? or is it the other way around with 3 and 4? I always get them mixed up.

kiryogi

Banned
I'm finally free! for a day anyway. Tho, is anyone usually on around 12 pst? :lol I get out of work so late D: But I'm off tomorrow. PSN that is.

zoukka

Tried the game again yesterday and don't just feel it. Everything is slower than in DR and the RAGE system is dicktastic.

Gah I guess it's time for me to move on. Thanks Namco for the awesome five Tekken games. This one goes to the same void as MGS4 for me.

Lumine

I'm pretty sure T6 is slightly faster, but I'd have to launch up T5 to be sure.

I have kind of switched my main from Hwoarang to Leo. Really enjoying her playstyle.

I'm winning more than half my matches lately online, but occasionally I still get my ass kicked. I really need to work on my wake-up/ukemi game and practice those juggles. I never really properly juggle. For some reason I have this tendence to throw out a quick combo right after a launcher instead of juggling my opponent for 2-3 hits first. Kinda like you would in VF. :p Not really using the bound system either. :(

Anyway, I still haven't done any GAF games. Europe here, but I wouldn't mind playing an American, even if it's just to see what the connection will be like. :p Anyone up for some games this weekend?

RelentlessRolento said:
for some reason I want to play all these newcomers but it's mean.

If anyone wants to add me on XBL (note, my list is near full so dont be surpried if I cant add you):

RelntlssRolento
I'm new to Tekken but I learn fast :p And I sure would like to see Dragunov players since he's another character I'm learning at the moment.

I'd love to add you if you still have room, so I'll shoot you a request and see how it goes.

Fersis

Yesterday i tried the practice mode, i opened the command list and ....
100+ moves for each character? Wow
Im a KOF, SF kind of guy so im pretty shocked about that, looooots of stuff to learn.

Fersis said:
Yesterday i tried the practice mode, i opened the command list and ....
100+ moves for each character? Wow
Im a KOF, SF kind of guy so im pretty shocked about that, looooots of stuff to learn.

What you'll find is that a lot of them cover similar situations in different ways, so to start you can build an effective repertoire with around 6-10 "go to" moves for a character. The beauty of the gigantic movelist is that no two players will use a character quite the same way, and that you can play a single character for months and there are always new moves to add to your game to make yourself less predictabo.

But if you're just starting out - learn how to block, learn how to get off the ground properly, learn a bail out "knock the other guy down fast" move, and spend your time in practice mode working on a juggle combo. An opponent can get out of pretty much everything except a juggle, and landing them is the difference between getting wins and getting beat up.

I get beat up a lot.

Top Bottom