• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official TEKKEN 6 "Who needs a FADC? We got RAGE!" Thread

sca2511

Steroyd said:
I've never been so pissed off at a game and a company before, and i've bloody endured Jinpachi on Tekken 5 ffs.

Whoever thought making me play through a shitty campaign mode to inject a storyline into Tekken needs to be shot in the balls, and if it's the same person who created Azazel needs to be shot in the balls twice, the whole mode is a complete regression of the 3D brawlers of yore No camera control, no lock on it has it all, and if there is a magical button that lets me cotnrol these things for the love of god please tell me it exists.

I wouldn't be so angry if i weren't forced to play it.

Online is crap so far, got a new wired conneection because my wireless has been fucking up epically lately and i've had disconnects, awful input lag and this is playing with someone from the same country who has a decent connection.

Offline 2 player reminds me why I love the Tekken series, but good lord Namco decided to throw a lot of shitty obstacles in my way to test the love,

Any tips on beating Azazel?
lock on using R1, though it wont matter if you're controlling with the analog stick. The left stick will always put you to a free walk type of mode, so use the directional pad to fight in scenario campaign. If you're too lazy to use the left stick to free walk to grab items while fighting, hold L1 to free walk with the directional pad. Azazel gets easier over time, I usually can get him down with simple combos that hit high, low, then high.

Steroyd

unomas said:
While I do agree with you about the single player I do love the online multiplayer, and I'm glad they patched that mode and made it more than playable for the majority of matches. I still haven't finished the entire single player campaign, still gotta get past Nightmare train, but it seems damn near impossible without the proper powerups. Hopefully I'll go back and finish it at some point, but the online is leagues better so why bother besides the trophies/achievements.

I'm one of those completists people whether or not there's a trophy waiting , that said I skip the cutscenes in scenario mode because it's so lame with things like the language barrier being non-existant, because it just is.

S t y l e z said:
This is why I quite the fighting scene years ago. To many lame ass people in the community. I just popped in T6 today for a couple of matches and out of the six games, four boot me from the room, and two rage quitted than gave me back feedback for being a "Paul Poker" Whatever dude.

Agreed, I completely hate the room booting thing. If you don't want people joining your room, SET UP PRIVATE SLOTS ASSHOLES!!

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
MarkMan said:
Please do not take 'online players' actions as a representation of the 'community.'

Those guys are just douche bags. :(

Different games communities have different maturity levels.
Douchiness of a community tends to be a function of its size times the execution requirement.

D=f(se)

Oneself

Ok. So I played Tekken6 for the first time ever last night. I'm a Tekken fan since Tekken2 ... I tried as much as I could to like Tekken4 and this one feels just as wrong. Definitely, this game is a POS.

Degen

but thanx for playing

wackojackosnose said:
Agreed, I completely hate the room booting thing. If you don't want people joining your room, SET UP PRIVATE SLOTS ASSHOLES!!
Some people stick to a "no mic no play" rule and don't make it obvious in advance. Friends of mine included, sorry :lol

Dahbomb

Oneself said:
Ok. So I played Tekken6 for the first time ever last night. I'm a Tekken fan since Tekken2 ... I tried as much as I could to like Tekken4 and this one feels just as wrong. Definitely, this game is a POS.
Yes definitely, Tekken 4 is a POS. :)

unomas

Banned
Steroyd said:
I'm one of those completists people whether or not there's a trophy waiting , that said I skip the cutscenes in scenario mode because it's so lame with things like the language barrier being non-existant, because it just is.

Yeah, I definitely understand. I'm the same way, I'm 71% complete on it right now, but it's so frustrating trying to get those trophies I'm not sure I'm gonna keep trying when the online is so enjoyable.

Kingpen

I'm giving this a chance now, and have always loved tekken. I'm just not feeling tekken 6. The scenario campaign sucks really bad with the way the camera is in that mode... It is beyond frustrating. And I don't play online. I'm trying to figure out if the Arcade mode (with the rankings and ghosts) which was awesome for me in T5, is going to save this game for me.

I'm really debating trading it in for an old copy of Dead or Alive 4 and maybe some other cheap game to cut my losses.
I'll probably give it until Christmas before I make any rash decisions.

I also seem to be getting some kind of input lag on the game, which is sapping the fun out of this for me.

Kingpen said:
I'm giving this a chance now, and have always loved tekken. I'm just not feeling tekken 6. The scenario campaign sucks really bad with the way the camera is in that mode... It is beyond frustrating. And I don't play online. I'm trying to figure out if the Arcade mode (with the rankings and ghosts) which was awesome for me in T5, is going to save this game for me.

I'm really debating trading it in for an old copy of Dead or Alive 4 and maybe some other cheap game to cut my losses.
I'll probably give it until Christmas before I make any rash decisions.

Try not playing scenario mode. problem solved.

AAK

I guess this needs to be said. Tekken is a pretty advanced game. And this iteration is newer and requires a lot training to get proficient at it. the #1 thing is the basics. Know them, THIS is an excellent intro to all the basics. It even has all of the annotations for you. And the real fun is where you play competitively offline.

Online play was absolute diorrhea, after the patch it is just shit. Only slightly less messy. Other games don't suffer so much because they aren't so frame dependent. 10 hit strings is all you need, and the lag will take care of everything for you.

Find your community:

http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=26
http://forums.shoryuken.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17

People organize matchups, join in and then only can you really enjoy Tekken to its potential.

One of the guys who started the Level Up Your Game series also owns this website:

http://www.iamtekken.com

Check out some of his podcasts and he always gives messeges to people who want to get better at Tekken. The resources are there, you just have to use them. (MarkMan! where's podcst 2?? :p)

If you came to enjoy scenario campaign and online, then sorry, I guess you'll never enjoy Tekken 6. But if you're here to enjoy a really well made and balanced 3D fighter, all it needs is your own commitment.

usea

I just started playing this game. Is there a way to turn off how when you're low on health you do like double damage? That's so dumb.

Also I'm not really liking the game so far. :( I have been trying to play with leo, alisa and lili.

AAK

Isn't it like that with every fighter?

I started with Tekken Tag. Me and all of high school friends would always battle in that game almost every weekend and it was ridiculous fun. Come February 2004 and Tekken 5 comes out. None of us could do shit because of how much everything's changed. Come a few weeks later it all got sorted out. It wasn't as fun as Tag but it was still awesome.

I started KOF, (my first 2D fighter), I couldn't do ANYTHING. The light and strong attack configuration was weird to me, the grappling f+2 notation was so foreign. But after practice I began to come to grips with the system and now I have so much fun. I started SF3rd Strike aruond the same time with similar results. Now I love it.

SF4 came out and I'm like WTF this is so different from 3rdStrike. I still don't like it as much, but that's because I haven't played nor practiced enough it to give it a chance. I know it'll grow on me eventually.

If you really want to enjoy the game, give it time. Learn the basics. Grappling, backdashing, wakeups, techrolling, among so many things.

Like I've kept preaching before:

http://www.youtube.com/user/LevelUpYourGame

Watch it, learn it, live it. It is by far the greatest contribution to Tekken in the past 5 years. (No disrespect to Markman, this pales in comparison to what he's done collectively).

usea

AAK said:
Isn't it like that with every fighter?
No... I love lots of fighters as soon as I play them (3s, sf4, xmen vs street fighter) and some others I have to warm up to (soul calibur 4).

AAK said:
I watched the first two parts at work today. Two paragraphs of text could have accomplished it just as well. It felt like a gigantic waste of time. Anyway, I don't really have an interest in becoming competitive at this game. But I'm glad somebody finally bothers to put down the basic mechanics somewhere. Video just seemed like the wrong format imo; way too slow.

Perhaps tekken is just not for me.

AAK said:
If you really want to enjoy the game, give it time.
Honestly, with the massive amount of games that come out every year, I shouldn't have to put time into a game before I enjoy it. Every week I play games for 5 minutes before putting them down and never playing them again. Some games I give more time, because I suspect it may be worth it. There is no game on which I would spend over 5 hours in the hope it would become fun.

Admittedly I've only put about 2 into tekken 6 (not counting video watching), and I'm willing to spend more. I'm just not optimistic at this point.

AAK

I don't wanna jump to any conclusions, but it kind of seems like you weren't that interested in Tekken in the first place. This isn't like 2D fighters where there are around 20 moves. There are a lot more things you have to watch out for in a 3D plane and be aware of. Even I forgot about them from time to time, You only learn by practice. I got punished for a mistake I make and I learn from it. Tekken is a different in that respect.

usea said:
Perhaps tekken is just not for me.

I said those exact same things to myself when I started KOF and SF and even VF.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I suck so much at 3D fighters that it hurts :/

Oneself

About this whole "isn't it the same with every fighting game?" argument, let me say no. Not at all.

The jump from Tekken 1 to Tekken 2 was OMG OMG OMG.
Then Tekken 3 came out and it was just like Tekken 2, only a step further in pretty much everything. Though, as soon as the intro movie started, I knew the game was good. It felt good.
Same with Tag since it was basically Tekken3, and I bought a fucking PS2 on launch day, waiting in line for 10 hours just to play TTT. Again, no adaptation time. Instant awesomeness.
Then Tekken 4 came out, they tried something "new" and failed miserably. Everything felt wrong.
Thankfully, Tekken 5 / DR went back to "Tekken 3" 's gameplay, again, everything felt awesome as soon as the game started.

And with every game, it became more and more impressive visually.

Now Tekken 6 ... it doesn't feel as bad as the fourth but come on, it's clearly not on par with the series quality I'm used to. It just doesn't look good (what's with the browns and all that...??), it feels a little sluggish, the soundtrack is forgettable, the loading times are terrible, no story mode ... it doesn't feel polished at all... hell, even after the installation on PS3, there is still an insane amount of loading...

AAK

And I say no right back at you. The movement, the changes in gravity, the frames, the strictness of timing, so much changes. Sure since I play Tekken more so than the previous iterations it's not as drastic. But I don't believe you when you say you can jump right into the next iteration of Tekken doing the same moves and they all result in the same execution as how it was before.

Graphics don't look good? I sincerely disagree. Soundtrack is forgettable? Purely subjective. No story? Like the previous versions had a story to compare anything with. I will agree with the load times though. Intro? Don't judge a book by its cover. These are really casual criterion for you to judge this game. You criticize so much off of presentation alone which has nearly nothing to do with the gameplay and more with Namco's pathetic localization to consoles from arcades.

But sluggish? Like I said before, the game has changed for the next generation. Just because you couldn't play like before doesn't mean it sucks. Yes, sidestepping and backdashing are far less effective in this version, but it was done for specific reasons. They're trying to make the game more offensive than how it was in DR. And best of all, this game is for all intents and purposes, BALANCED, which is an accomplishment considering the previous iterations. But the game is far from sluggish, practice, you'll see the difference.

Oneself said:
About this whole "isn't it the same with every fighting game?" argument, let me say no. Not at all.

The jump from Tekken 1 to Tekken 2 was OMG OMG OMG.
Then Tekken 3 came out and it was just like Tekken 2, only a step further in pretty much everything. Though, as soon as the intro movie started, I knew the game was good. It felt good.
Same with Tag since it was basically Tekken3, and I bought a fucking PS2 on launch day, waiting in line for 10 hours just to play TTT. Again, no adaptation time. Instant awesomeness.
Then Tekken 4 came out, they tried something "new" and failed miserably. Everything felt wrong.
Thankfully, Tekken 5 / DR went back to "Tekken 3" 's gameplay, again, everything felt awesome as soon as the game started.

And with every game, it became more and more impressive visually.

Now Tekken 6 ... it doesn't feel as bad as the fourth but come on, it's clearly not on par with the series quality I'm used to. It just doesn't look good (what's with the browns and all that...??), it feels a little sluggish, the soundtrack is forgettable, the loading times are terrible, no story mode ... it doesn't feel polished at all... hell, even after the installation on PS3, there is still an insane amount of loading...

Don't worry. When T7 hits youll be able to describe T6 in a short sentance like you did with all the other Tekkens.

T4 did everything kinda wrong except for one thing: style. It prob has still my fave sketch art and mood for all the tekkens released. It had a real nice dark tone.

Also all this banter about T6 sucking/not sucking is lulz

just have fun with it however you can. Mindless fun or competitive, or even an ash tray, Tekken has love for all.

zoukka

Oh GOD.

I just realised you can only have five attribute boosts in campaign mode. So I put gear in order for the first time ever and one-try-killed the Nightmare Train. And in succession the HARD Nightmare Train. :/

Has anyone already suicidebombed the Namco offices?

Oneself

RelentlessRolento said:
Also all this banter about T6 sucking/not sucking is lulz

just have fun with it however you can. Mindless fun or competitive, or even an ash tray, Tekken has love for all.

Hyped since that useless trailer back when the PS3 was a 120fps/4D machine.. I was just expecting more from Namco's new Tekken. Not that it can really be compared as games; but I felt the same when playing Devil May Cry 4 earlier: it wasn't that bad but it wasn't up to DMC/DMC3's standards.

So Tekken 6, so far,is not an entirely bad game.. like I said, it's at least better than Tekken4... but it's just not up to the quality of "Tekken" in general. The series pushed the PSone & PS2 to their limits, had bright/colorful/stylish stages, silly stories for each characters, superb soundtracks and cutting edge presentation with minimal loading. This time, it's not the case. I know it's different, it's the new generation bla bla bla but I had expectations and they haven't been met. That's all.

So it's not the end of the world guys, if it doesn't "click" with me, I'll stick to T5:DR.

Kingpen

RelentlessRolento said:
Try not playing scenario mode. problem solved.

I took this advice and played the offline ghost mode last night. Before I knew it, 2 hours had flown by.....

This is the Tekken I craved and was hoping to get. That single mode right there saves the game for me.

Thanks for the advice!

Oneself said:
Hyped since that useless trailer back when the PS3 was a 120fps/4D machine.. I was just expecting more from Namco's new Tekken. Not that it can really be compared as games; but I felt the same when playing Devil May Cry 4 earlier: it wasn't that bad but it wasn't up to DMC/DMC3's standards.

So Tekken 6, so far,is not an entirely bad game.. like I said, it's at least better than Tekken4... but it's just not up to the quality of "Tekken" in general. The series pushed the PSone & PS2 to their limits, had bright/colorful/stylish stages, silly stories for each characters, superb soundtracks and cutting edge presentation with minimal loading. This time, it's not the case. I know it's different, it's the new generation bla bla bla but I had expectations and they haven't been met. That's all.

So it's not the end of the world guys, if it doesn't "click" with me, I'll stick to T5:DR.
if you feel that way, play the PSP version of T6.

For some reason I'm more comfortable with that than the console versions.

Thanks for the link MM. Watching this gives me hope for my Feng!

How good are these guys though? I've noticed that there's not much defence (hit or be hit tactics then combo) and they don't really use the 3d space much.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
If you watch now, all the GOOD guys are playing.

Mainstreet Ryu the 2nd just played (Kazuya)...

Takeyama aka TKYM is also playing (Bob).

panda21

can you get above 1st-dan in offline ghost mode? i seem to remember someone mentioning you couldnt. do you need to download higher ranked ghosts or is it just capped for some stupid reason?

Cruzader

Banned
So its obvious Tekken games have always had weird bosses/characters but why am I fighting godzilla and megazord? wtf dimension did Tekken get into? Do die hard Tekken fans love to fight weird ass cheap fucker bosses that are 50 feet tall? Is Tekken 7 gonna have a 100ft boss to fight?

Seriously though, Im a tekken fan and to see this shit is fucking saddening. Its not like I just saw them but fighting these cheap bosses is just pissing me off. I wish I could play arcade without the last 2-3 boss characters. I guess Ill stick with the Tournaments held in the campaign mode or something.

GrayFoxPL

Cruzader said:
So its obvious Tekken games have always had weird bosses/characters but why am I fighting godzilla and megazord? wtf dimension did Tekken get into? Do die hard Tekken fans love to fight weird ass cheap fucker bosses that are 50 feet tall? Is Tekken 7 gonna have a 100ft boss to fight?

Seriously though, Im a tekken fan and to see this shit is fucking saddening. Its not like I just saw them but fighting these cheap bosses is just pissing me off. I wish I could play arcade without the last 2-3 boss characters. I guess Ill stick with the Tournaments held in the campaign mode or something.

Fighting nancy is awesome. She should be the final boss and not the chick. Btw. Aren't you overacting? What dimension? The same dimension that gave us True Ogre and Gon.
Unknown was an awesome boss.

wackojackosnose said:
How do you fuck up a random character?!?

He has different proportions and some of the combos of the characters don't work.

zoukka

Eh guys Mokujin stays as the same character for all the rounds. So he's exactly the same as choosing a random character in Tekken 6. Which is an astronomical fuck up.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Nancy is easily beaten with Bryan. Just do his spinning roundhouse kick that sidesteps and hurts the opponent at the same time. It works wonders on Nancy.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Holy cow, scenario campaign really is not that great at all.

as weird as it sounds, it's actually fun somewhat if you skip the story parts. I played the story on PS3, but on 360 skipped them all. I actually had fun when not needing to worry about story.

RelentlessRolento said:
as weird as it sounds, it's actually fun somewhat if you skip the story parts. I played the story on PS3, but on 360 skipped them all. I actually had fun when not needing to worry about story.

I can see that. Part of the huge lameness is that I've easily spent 2/3rds of the play time watching horrifyingly bad cutscenes. And yet at the core I have this bizarre kernel of interest in the Tekken Mythology, so I'm slogging through them.

So like Eddy Gordo is working for the bad guys?!?

Say it ain't so!

BenjaminBirdie said:
I can see that. Part of the huge lameness is that I've easily spent 2/3rds of the play time watching horrifyingly bad cutscenes. And yet at the core I have this bizarre kernel of interest in the Tekken Mythology, so I'm slogging through them.

So like Eddy Gordo is working for the bad guys?!?

Say it ain't so!

Yeah, I'm a huge story freak when it comes to Tekken actually, but the problem with scenario mode is that it drags out alot, unlike the usual way story is handled with arcade/story mode.

And yeah, eddy has good reason to work for the bad guy, but redeems himself a bit.

Still the best stories in T6 honestly are the joke character endings.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
zoukka said:
Eh guys Mokujin stays as the same character for all the rounds. So he's exactly the same as choosing a random character in Tekken 6. Which is an astronomical fuck up.

That is for online only, is it not?

GrayFoxPL said:
He has different proportions and some of the combos of the characters don't work.

Mokujin has always been this way. While he has combos that don't connect properly (while they do for the mimic'd character), he also has combos exclusive to him.

unomas

Banned
Questions for those who have beaten scenario campaign. I beat it a few weeks back and thought now that I did it the rest would be a cakewalk. Wrong, I'm trying to beat Nightmare train and unlock the hidden stages and I can't get an S rank item to save my life! So my healthbar and Alisa's remain just a single bar so it's damn near impossible to beat any of the campaign on hard. Is there any level to farm S level items when you currently don't have any? I've tried doing it on Nightmare train, G Security service and even some of the first levels and only end up with A rank items at best. I need those S items to push me over the top so I can beat this garbage! I've been unable to make it through 16th archaelogical site, Kigan Island, and of course Nightmare Train with the stuff I currently have which is mostly A rank items with some B stuff mixed in. Alisa is not very powered up right now either, and I have the game settings on Hard.

LowParry

RelentlessRolento said:
I've played local Mokujin fights with friends and it's offline and online. The weird thing is that the PSP version has style change between rounds still.

That so needs to be patched in for the PS3. I don't want no Combot!

Top Bottom