• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official TEKKEN 6 "Who needs a FADC? We got RAGE!" Thread

AAK

LOL, I also remember Ryan Hart mentioning Hwoarang being in his top 5 list as well that made Aris go WTF. I guess it makes sense and it's a reflection of the scene. I believe UK's Starscream is a mean Hwoarang giving that notion to Ryan Hart, so I suppose the same could be said about the competition GM faces. But I'll be honest, Roger Jr. owns me :(

AdroitOne said:
I concur, because for some strange odd reason, I absolutely cannot beat Roger Jr. I can't stand that freaking kangaroo (can't stand Lili also).

Yo, what region you in? Add it to the list:

1) AdroitOne | WhoDaMasta
2) MarkMan | MarkManSDT
3) AAK | AAK0924 | ON, Canada
4) luka | Luka3x
5) MoonsaultSlayer | MoonsaultSlayer | CT (North East), US
6) CcrooK | Downplay
7) SephirothRK | SephirothRK
8) -DarKaoZ- | DarKaoZ
9) vocab | vocab- | PA, US
10) JEKKI | ???
11) thelastword | ???
12) Rolento | Rolento
13) GrayFoxPL | GrayFoxPL
14) DrDogg | ???
15) hikarutimitt | hikarutimitt
16) LiveFromKyoto | Agent_of_Atlas | ON, Canada
17) [In//Effect-Mode] | InEffectMode
18) Lyte Edge | lyteedge | GA (Southeast), US
19) ShinobiFist | ShinobiFist
20) Maastricht | niwrA | The Netherlands, Europe
21) Rhazer Fusion | Eraptura
22) rowanimox | rowanimox
23) Finaika | Finaika
24) Starfish_Oxide | i_shoot_to_kill
25) TestMonkey | TheTwoFourThree

AdroitOne

Neo Member
AAK said:
LOL, I also remember Ryan Hart mentioning Hwoarang being in his top 5 list as well that made Aris go WTF. I guess it makes sense and it's a reflection of the scene. I believe UK's Starscream is a mean Hwoarang giving that notion to Ryan Hart, so I suppose the same could be said about the competition GM faces. But I'll be honest, Roger Jr. owns me :(

Yo, what region you in? Add it to the list:

1) AdroitOne | WhoDaMasta (SouthEast), US
2) MarkMan | MarkManSDT
4) luka | Luka3x
6) CcrooK | Downplay
8) -DarKaoZ- | DarKaoZ
10) JEKKI | ???
11) thelastword | ???
12) Rolento | Rolento
14) DrDogg | ???
19) ShinobiFist | ShinobiFist
23) Finaika | Finaika

Updated the list

AAK

Updated:

1) AdroitOne | WhoDaMasta | (SouthEast), US
2) MarkMan | MarkManSDT | CA, US
4) luka | Luka3x
6) CcrooK | Downplay
8) -DarKaoZ- | DarKaoZ
10) JEKKI | ???
11) thelastword | ???
12) RelentlessRolento | Rolento | FL, US
14) DrDogg | ???
19) ShinobiFist | ShinobiFist | NYC, NY
23) Finaika | Finaika

bumpkin

Hrm, is this tourney I see brewin' still open for people to join? And is it specifically for PS3 players? I've got the game, but on 360.

AAK

yup people are still welcome to join for PSN, but sorry so far there aren't enough people on 360 to warrant a tournie. But that can still change if a lot more people enter from the 360 side.

4) luka | Luka3x
6) CcrooK | Downplay
8) -DarKaoZ- | DarKaoZ
10) JEKKI | ???
11) thelastword | ???
14) DrDogg | ???
23) Finaika | Finaika
24) Starfish_Oxide | i_shoot_to_kill | Ireland, UK

AAK said:
yup people are still welcome to join for PSN, but sorry so far there aren't enough people on 360 to warrant a tournie. But that can still change if a lot more people enter from the 360 side.

4) luka | Luka3x
6) CcrooK | Downplay
8) -DarKaoZ- | DarKaoZ
10) JEKKI | ???
11) thelastword | ???
14) DrDogg | ???
23) Finaika | Finaika
24) Starfish_Oxide | i_shoot_to_kill | Ireland, Europe

fixed...sorry

GrayFoxPL

Poland, Europe here.

AKK do you thought out any rules yet?

LiveFromKyoto said:
I remember FightingGM telling Aris on his podcast that Roger was top 5 and he was all like "bu-waahh?" It would be cool if new characters emerged as consistently viable.

I'm a fucking FightingGM fanboy. The shit he'd done to Knee and everyone else in that tourny. Greatest victory ever.

It's mostly about numbers. For how many months if not year Lars wasn't considered a tournament character? It's natural that Lars, Steve, Bryan, etc. prevail in tourneys if shitload of players use them. I mean if we have eg. 100 players and 65-70 of them main one of the mentioned vs the rest who use anyone else, then it's logical that you'll finally going to lose to one of them.
IMO the highest level of players is on Tekken Crash and they show that every character can be top tier in the right hands. I remember Raven player that wrecked everyone. Shame I can't watch it often as it would take most of my free time, but these guys are world's best.

AAK

This is how I personally see this going down:

As of now we have 25 people:

So I'm thinking we can do this FIFA world cup format where there were 8 pools of 4 teams, and then the top 2 from each pool moved on to the Super 16 which then followed the normal bracket tournament style. But for something like that you need 32 players. Since we have 25, I'm thinking it will go like this:

6 Pools, 5 Pools will have 4 competitors, 1 Pool will have 5 competitors (If any more people join, we can just add them into the pool that has 4 people)

The rules for pool play will be first to win 2 sets of the standard 5 round matches. Since the pools will be organized based on region, these matches should have the least lag so I think 2 sets is alright considering how many matches have to be played at the pool levels. Now let's look @ a scenario of a pool:

Player 1 vs Player 2, Player 1 beats Player 2 2-1 (3:1,2:3,3:0)
Player 3 vs Player 4, Player 3 loses to Player 4 0-2 (1:3,0:3)

Therefore the current tally will look like this:

wgs57t.png

*This is the number of rounds won subtracted by the number of rounds lost, and only counts for the first 2 sets

This tally continues until each player has played his/her 3 matches and the Player with the most sets won advances to the 8 man quarterfinals. So going by this, we only have 6 finalists.... that's why I've added the Net Rounds Won category. Once the 6 finalists have qualified, the next 2 contestants with the highest number of net rounds won across all the pools should also qualify. Since there will be a total of 6 first to 3 matches counted, I hope some scores wont overlap.

I know it's rough, but I felt that's the fairest way to accommodate everyone with the numbers we have currently.

Is everyone cool with it? Any input is more than welcome.

Updated list:

4) luka | Luka3x
6) CcrooK | Downplay
7) SephirothRK | SephirothRK | Hawaii, US
8) -DarKaoZ- | DarKaoZ
10) JEKKI | ???
11) thelastword | ???
13) GrayFoxPL | GrayFoxPL | Poland, Europe
14) DrDogg | ???
15) hikarutilmitt | hikarutilmitt
23) Finaika | Finaika

GrayFoxPL

AAK, that's cool. I can't spin my head around those things honestly. So there aren't any "Losers finals" and so on?

Do you have a backup plan if someone drops out during the tournament? I remember SF4 tourny bracets went all crazy as people weren't playing their matches.

We should have a rule that if disconnect happens, we repeat the match.

Also what about the p1, p2 sides? Eg. I like to be on P2 side.

Edit:
And about character selection. I noticed in some tournaments there's a rule that winner stays on his character and loser can change. How do we do this here? Everyone can change?

AAK

Well, with pool play, I think that accommodates for double elimination because even if you lose to the first opponent, you can still come back with the other 2, but then I guess it also depends on the performance of the player you lost to.

As for having double elimination (i.e. loser's brackets) in the 8 man tournament, I'd rather refrain from doing that since there will be major differences in time zones and finding a time to get a match with so many players will be hassle.

As for disconnects, yeah a repeat sounds nice.

For Player sides, I don't think anything needs to be enforced, I too play better from the P2 side but I think you should just play with whatever the host of the session will set as.

As for drop outs, I guess that person will just lose 2-0 (3:0,3:0)

I think once I confirm all the pools and such, I'll set a deadline for 3-4 weeks for everyone to get their matches in place. I might as well consult with MarkMan right now if prizes are a possibility despite the small number of entrants.

AAK

Yeah, that rule should be a staple, Loser can change his character, winner sticks with his.

The ONLY thing I'm conflicted about is grapples. I'm not sure if we should outright ban them, or put some kind of limitation. Dogg was right about how grabs are near impossible to break on reaction online. Maybe we can do something like only 2+4 grapples allowed only and 1 per match or something like that. Any ideas for this?

Shameful, I just had to google define what a haiku was :(

AAK

Back throws should be allowed since there is no escape for them anyway. But side throws....not sure. They are breakable (although harder) and lag will hinder you from escaping them... so I'm a little against side throws as well. I'm just conflicted because grapples play a huge part in the game and I feel that if you know the incomming grapple is a 2+4 grab, you only need to worry about mashing the 2 button... making it a little easier to reverse in the heat of the match. But I do want everyone's opinion on this. I'm cool with what the majority prefers.

2) MarkMan | MarkManSDT | Wales, Europe / CA, US
4) luka | Luka3x | BC, Canada
6) CcrooK | Downplay | UT, US
7) SephirothRK | SephirothRK | Hawaii, US
8) -DarKaoZ- | DarKaoZ | TX, US
10) JEKKI | JEKKI | LA, US
11) thelastword | tlword | St. Lucia, West Indies
13) GrayFoxPL | GrayFoxPL | Poland, Europe
14) DrDogg | DrDogg | (West Coast) US
15) hikarutilmitt | hikarutimitt | TX (CST), US
21) Rhazer Fusion | Eraptura | Georgia, US
22) rowanimox | rowanimox | Phillipines
23) Finaika | Finaika | Tokyo, Japan

DrDogg

I'm basically west coast, US. DrDogg is my PSN.

As for throws (grapples), while I've already stated my opinion on throws in an online environment, I also signed up for the tournament knowing it's an online event. You can't really ban anything that's legit offline.

If you ban throws, what's to say you shouldn't also ban lows that are slower than 25 frames, or normal hit launchers that are only -12 and difficult to punish online? So I say let everything go and understand that it's an online tournament... lag happens. :lol

luka

Loves Robotech S1
DrDogg said:

As for throws (grapples), while I've already stated my opinion on throws in an online environment, I also signed up for the tournament knowing it's an online event. You can't really ban anything that's legit offline.

If you ban throws, what's to say you shouldn't also ban lows that are slower than 25 frames, or normal hit launchers that are only -12 and difficult to punish online? So I say let everything go and understand that it's an online tournament... lag happens. :lol

I agree with this.

DrDogg said:

Yup, this is why I'm not complaining about the SSF4 ranbats, lag just happens and ALL involved are affected by it.

hikarutimitt: TX (CST), US

I will officially be the Tekken 6 scrub for the this.

DrDogg

As a side note to my future opponents. As a personal rule, I don't use throws or slow lows online. However, if you hit me with a throw or a slow low (that didn't crush), I toss my personal rule book out the window and switch into online mode. ^_^

GrayFoxPL

HUGE NO to banning throws.

We're not fighting online for the first time, are we?

I'm not a big time thrower but it's integral part of the game that if they are banned I'm out of the tournament. No way I'm gonna apologize for some instinctive throw in the middle of the match.

Edit: So no ban? Phew.

Never found throws a huge dealbreaker online, there are way worse moves that take advantage of the lag. Kazuyas uf+4,4,4,4 - I never do that or Lee's d+4,4,4,4. I crouched so many throws online and got a free laucher so it's all good.

GrayFoxPL said:
P
I'm a fucking FightingGM fanboy. The shit he'd done to Knee and everyone else in that tourny. Greatest victory ever.

I'd only heard about it, not seen it. You just made me go and youtube it - holy shit, 10 rounds straight?? Against one of the top Korean guys straight tier-whoring DJ/Steve/Bryan? Bananas. His spacing was so good, he made Knee whiff on so many moves. I can't even backdash cancel :/

AAK

Cool, looks like we've got our European pool... How long will you be in Europe man?

EDIT: And I suppose everyone is cool with the pool style of point getting on post #4211?

Just waiting on a few more people.

AAK

I already sent a PM to everyone pending on the list, I specifically asked for their PSN to make sure. Other people I simply saw what their PSN ID was in their GAF public profile.

Once again, this is your last chance guys; any qualms with the tournament rules speak now or forever hold you piece. :D

GrayFoxPL

I want to make sure about one thing.

Rule about character change only applies per opponent, right? It's not like if someone wins all their matches, he must stay on one character through the whole tournament?

AAK

Yeah, only for the set of matches against that opponent will you be forced to stick with your character. Once you move on to the next character, it's reset and you can choose any character again.

DrDogg

GrayFoxPL said:
Never found throws a huge dealbreaker online, there are way worse moves that take advantage of the lag. Kazuyas uf+4,4,4,4 - I never do that or Lee's d+4,4,4,4. I crouched so many throws online and got a free laucher so it's all good.

Throws are pretty much guaranteed damage online, especially if you know when to use them. I also don't see how Kazuya's string takes advantage of lag. I can low parry that on reaction 100% of the time even in a 3-bar connection. In fact, many strings that don't have a low as the first hit are easy to low parry online.

LiveFromKyoto said:
I'd only heard about it, not seen it. You just made me go and youtube it - holy shit, 10 rounds straight?? Against one of the top Korean guys straight tier-whoring DJ/Steve/Bryan? Bananas. His spacing was so good, he made Knee whiff on so many moves. I can't even backdash cancel :/

Not to take anything away from GM (he is one of the top players in the US, no doubt), Knee's main is Bryan, and he didn't bother switching to Bryan until it was too late. I blame that in part on the non-standard rules MLG uses and Knee being a little big-headed (for good reason). But the wins over Knee's DJ and Steve aren't nearly as significant as if GM had beat Knee's Bryan 10-straight.

AAK

Hey all, looking @ the regions, I think I'm gonna change it up to having 5 pools of 5 players... and then having the next top 3 competitors on the net rounds won category qualify for the 8 man quarterfinals. I think it's gonna be hard to make another section since I think the majority of people are from the current regions. I've left Finaika out for now depending on what the remaining 3 people's regions are. If all goes well, you'll join Pool West Coast. This is what I have for now:

Pool 1 - Pool Europa

1. Starfish_Oxide - Ireland, EU
2. GrayFoxPL - Poland, EU
3. Maastricht - Netherlands, EU

Pool 2 - Pool South Eastern

1. AdroitOne - (SouthEast), US
2. Relentless Rolento - FL, US
3. Lyte Edge - GA, US
4. Rhazer Fusion - GA, US

Pool 3 - Pool North Eastern

1. MoonsaultSlayer - CT, US
2. AAK - ON, CA
3. LiveFromKyoto - ON, CA
4. ShinobiFist - NY, US
5. vocab- - PA, US

Pool 4 - Pool Gulf of Mexico

1. -DarKaoZ- - TX, US
2. hikarutilmitt - TX, US
3. CcrooK - UT, US
4. thelastword - St. Lucia, WI
5. DrDogg - CA, US

Pool 5 - Pool West Coast + Pacific

1. MarkMan - CA, US
2. luka - BC, CA
3. SephirothRK - HI, US
4. JEKKI - LA, US
5. Finaika - Tokyo, JP

In other news, Malekith wins Tekken 6 SVB 20-X! Damn, an Asuka player took out the competitors! I'm impressed.

1st – Malekith (Asuka) – The Netherlands
2nd – Wogus (Steve, Bob, Miguel, Bruce)
3rd – The Emperor (Jack)
4th – Kristian (Lars)
T 5th – Blackblade (Lili, Steve)
T 5th – Dinosaur (Bryan, Jack)
T 5th – Gajda (Lars)
T 5th – Harry Potter (Hei, Bob)

Here is a picture of the Pools & Brackets:

http://twitpic.com/2hrcvw

http://twitpic.com/2hri13

Thanks to Di & Sharog from SDTekken for info.

AAK

Thank you, EDITED

... but now, where to put Finaika? :lol

I suppose I'll just send Mr Mad Cat over to Texas ;)

AAK

nice another Asian representative, Might have to switch some pool's again since Finaika is closest to you.

All that's left is TestMonkey (this guy was online a few minutes ago!) and [In//Effect-Mode]'s input.

Connection between New York and The Netherlands is generally very good. There's a direct line between New York and Amsterdam over the sea-bed. So if needs be, that could be used. It doesn't look like it, but who knows eh?

AAK

Nice, thanks for that. Should the other 2 guys be somewhere else in the US, they can take ShinobiFist's spot and he can go on to Pool 1.

DrDogg

I'm closer to TX than MarkMan is so if you're moving someone to their bracket it should be me. I usually have 3-4 bars with TX and 4-5 bars with Cali. MarkMan probably gets 2-3 bars with TX.

Top Bottom