• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Worldwide VC, WiiWare, & DSiWare Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Revenge of Shinobi. Holy freaking crap.
Either Sega/M2 made more edits to the game or somebody just doesn't give a fuck.

isn't it less of an issue in Japan? The copyright concerns I mean.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Lee N said:
Really? How do you play the karaoke segments in that game on virtual console?

From Wikipedia:

One event requires the player to use the second controller's microphone to sing a verse of karaoke. The player must receive a good rating in order to continue, but the microphone feature was removed in updated versions of the Famicom. Other games substitute the use of the microphone by pressing down the Select button on the controller, but in Takeshi no Chōsenjō, microphone use is substituted by pressing the A button while holding down on the keypad of the second controller. Though the microphone is used to determine the presence of sound, the game does not have the technology to process sound pitches, making it possible to "sing" just by blowing air on the microphone with proper timing.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
morningbus said:
How much Japanese text is in this game and can I reasonably hate Nintendo for not bringing this over?

Well, it's definitely a historical artifact. It's one of a kind. But... it's not fun--that's the point. It's meant to torture gamers and make them feel the pain they deserve. Takeshi rules!

It's probably the best intentionally bad parody game ever.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Stumpokapow said:
Well, it's definitely a historical artifact. It's one of a kind. But... it's not fun--that's the point. It's meant to torture gamers and make them feel the pain they deserve. Takeshi rules!

Oh my god. Game hates gamers, Nintendo hates gamers...

Next Monday is an import day on the VC!

Capndrake

Just noticed Hudson's US TG16 site lists two imports for March: Bomberman '94 and Detana!! TwinBee.

Hanabi Festival TG16 games aren't listed in advance for Europe/Australia, so they might be released there in March as well.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Capndrake said:
Japanese schedule for March:

FC:
-Clu Clu Land
-Takeshi no Chousenjou

SFC:
-Uncharted Waters II

SMS:
-Sonic Chaos

MD:
-Dragon Slayer: Eiyuu Densetsu II (March 3rd)
-Revenge of Shinobi

PCE:
-Space Invaders: The Original Game (CD, March 3rd - Yes, this is almost exactly the same as the SNES one)

So they've just abandoned N64?

d+pad

Capndrake said:
Just noticed Hudson's US TG16 site lists two imports for March: Bomberman '94 and Detana!! TwinBee.

Hanabi Festival TG16 games aren't listed in advance for Europe/Australia, so they might be released there in March as well.

If this is true, both titles will be mine (and will be my first VC purchases in AGES).

OK, Hudson, now get your ass to work and put Parasol Stars up on VC!!!

Baron

I really wish Gaiares for MD/Genesis would be added to the Virtual Console. Have there been any rumblings whatsoever of this happening?

Osuwari

Fantastical said:
MM supported the expansion pack? You think that's why we haven't gotten it? I mean, I don't know why they couldn't make those games work... but this is Nintendo.

what about the GC emulation on the collector's edition disc? (sure it has problems but the wii has more power to compensate and emulate it better)
it is possible. it has been since the GC was out. Nintendo are just being dicks with it.

Osuwari said:
what about the GC emulation on the collector's edition disc? (sure it has problems but the wii has more power to compensate and emulate it better)
it is possible. it has been since the GC was out. Nintendo are just being dicks with it.

It also crashes the game. In a game where you're not meant to do hard saves all that often.

Neo Samus

Capndrake said:

Hudson still loves us!!! WOOT!! Now, where is Parodius? It's been rated by ESRB, so please bring it out!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Capndrake said:

Yay, Hudson didn't leave us!

Not to mention, they're also bringing out Marble Saga in March... <3 Hudson <3

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Dragona Akehi said:
It also crashes the game. In a game where you're not meant to do hard saves all that often.

Eh, I've never had it crash on me and I've played it through twice.

I've had the sound stop, and I've had terrible slowdown, but never any crashes. Guess I'm just lucky.

I wonder if we'll get Super Punch-Out!! in anticipation for Punch-Out!! Wii. I hope so.

The one game I keep coming back to is Dr. Mario RX for WiiWare. I highly recommend it to anyone searching for a game to play to in-between games, and if you already have it, I'd love to exchange Friend Codes with you.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Speaking of the 64...any chance of Ogre Battle 64 on VC, Dragona?

Edit: Forgot that one was publishsed by Atlus, so I guess you wouldn't know anyway.

storl026 said:
No, which is really unfortunate.

It really is. It kind of dampens my want to play Paper Mario. The rumble-pak in that game made battles even more enjoyable. Sigh. Thwomping a baddie with my super hammer won't feel right.

Jiggy

Capndrake said:
Excellent. Will buy Twinbee, may or may not buy Bomberman.

SonicMegaDrive said:
hmm, all these ESRB updates are a good sign.

I had almost given up on the service thinking it's best days were behind it.

Very glad to see :)
Looking at what's already available, VC's best days probably are behind it, at least for me--but it can still have several great, great days yet to come. And yeah, Japanese releases and ESRB ratings (or any other ratings) are always good reminders why.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
DavidDayton said:
How is the size restriction "ridiculous", given the amount of internal storage the Wii has?

'Tis a serious question.

Its cap it's so low that is ridiculous, thus developers not being able to do with full Wiiware version of their retail titles; the fact that there's such restiction is NOT (ridiculous).

Ridiculous = the size limit it's too low for full retail-like games.

Jiggy said:
Looking at what's already available, VC's best days probably are behind it, at least for me--but it can still have several great, great days yet to come. And yeah, Japanese releases and ESRB ratings (or any other ratings) are always good reminders why.
I will not be happy until I am exploding zombies with a water pistol.

wsippel

Banned
Dash Kappei said:
Its cap it's so low that is ridiculous, thus developers not being able to do with full Wiiware version of their retail titles; the fact that there's such restiction is NOT (ridiculous).

Ridiculous = the size limit it's too low for full retail-like games.
No it's not. Most console and PC devs these days just suck at working with limited storage space. They are not used to think about filesizes anymore.

Deku

Banned
wsippel said:
No it's not. Most console and PC devs these days just suck at working with limited storage space. They are not used to think about filesizes anymore.

When you consider great titles such as MoO being done in less space than some of the crap WiiWare titles coming out, It's clearly not about storage.

Granted people demand more intensive AV these days, but it's the effort and the fact that most studios today seem to associate limitations placed on them as being 'bad' so they tend to gravitate towards open ended specs and scalability. And their budgets tend to, not surprisingly, also become open ended and scalable.

I quite honestly don't believe that's the future of games and the talent needs to find their way back to creating games under a hard limit, some of the best games were made with those limits and I've seen no evidence that the expansiveness has allowed them to do better things. In fact, all the extra RAM cutting edge gaming PCs have today tends to get eaten up in graphical features and silly things like 'realistic' exploding physics, which has no bearing on gameplay or the game itself.

wsippel

Banned
Well, let's just say if a composer tells me he needs 5MB for a single song, he deserves a kick in the balls. If I develop for a platform like WiiWare, I start by thinking about the storage limitations and work accordingly: Develop a visual style that doesn't require insanely detailed high res textures. Use stills for cutscenes, preferably with several layers. If you need animations, do them on the fly, in engine (including title and logo animations). Use efficient audio formats and appropriate tools like trackers. Use the most efficient compression schemes available, and the most appropriate one for each type of asset (encode voice samples using Speex for example). Research procedural generation.

There are lots of ways to keep things small. It's actually easier these days than it was years ago, when storage space was much more of an issue. But how many video game composers these days even know what trackers are for example, let alone how to use them?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
wsippel said:
Well, let's just say if a composer tells me he needs 5MB for a single song, he deserves a kick in the balls. If I develop for a platform like WiiWare, I start by thinking about the storage limitations and work accordingly: Develop a visual style that doesn't require insanely detailed high res textures. Use stills for cutscenes, preferably with several layers. If you need animations, do them on the fly, in engine (including title and logo animations). Use efficient audio formats and appropriate tools like trackers. Use the most efficient compression schemes available, and the most appropriate one for each type of asset (encode voice samples using Speex for example). Research procedural generation.

There are lots of ways to keep things small. It's actually easier these days than it was years ago, when storage space was much more of an issue. But how many video game composers these days even know what trackers are for example, let alone how to use them?

Okay all of that is great except if composers aren't doing that, the service suffers. If developers are saying "Nintendo, your restrictions are unreasonable"--it doesn't matter who is right and who is wrong, the net impact is that the developers will make their games elsewhere and Nintendo will suffer as a result. Whether or not the developers also suffer as a result of choosing the PC, XBLA, PSN, iPhone, XNA, etc. is a different question, but it's not anywhere near as important from the perspective of someone who wants to play great games on the Wii.

I think it's pretty clear that while WiiWare is getting a lot of games, the type (although not necessarily the calibre--I don't want to get into a pissing match between World of Goo and Braid. There's no need for that) and origin (in terms of developers / publishers) of the games on WiiWare is being impacted by this... just as was true when XBLA had the 50 MB limit at the early days of that service.

Deku

Banned
Stumpy, as a whole, the downloadable service regardless of their size limitations are getting mostly shitty if not mediocre/forgettable games.

The genres I thought would have been covered, deep adventure games, platformers, strategy, stuff you think could get away with a small budget and smaller teams and benefit from digital distribution aren't being made.

The single most overdone genre on these downloadable services are the funky psychedelic puzzle type games that really are in competition for the same shrinking pie.

The problem is that the top tier talents view these services are throwaway, 2nd tier and not worth their time. They want to stuff 18, 24, 50 GB worth of content into a $60 retail product with a thin margin than spend their time working on a smaller scale 50 MB game.

So far, only Capcom has attempted to create a AAA product on the services.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom