• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Worldwide VC, WiiWare, & DSiWare Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
DeaconKnowledge said:
Keep in mind, commodore 64 games frequently had only one button. So the grab = d-pad away and fire, and attack = hold fire, press up for high weapon attacks, and down for kicks.

They always had just one button -- sometimes they had keys on the keyboard, but only one button!

(Unless it was a two joystick game.)

Mar_ said:
Sounds like you got it. But to be clear. To pick up an item you hold the fire button and press back + down. And yeah, the hands have to touch the item for it to register. Even if the position you're in makes no sense from a visual aspect.

The controls do take quite a bit to get used to. However once you've got it, it's a really awesome action adventure game.

It's still a bit troublesome at times, but it's working much better with the CC joystick. The manual seems to hint that it requires diagonal movements (which makes sense), and that's probably why it was so touchy with just the Wii Remote's joypad.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I've never managed to play a Mr. Driller game, so I'll totally buy the WiiWare one if/when it comes to North America.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Animal Crossing Calculator
I’ll let the video do the talking as it’s just a calculator. There is also a Mario Themed version for the same 200 Points.

Art Style HACOLIFE
First of the Art Style games released this month, but both of them have a “cube” theme going on. This one has an 8bit/Pixel Art style look, but the music is pretty basic. Squares get laid out in a shape on the ground and you have to roll the squares into a Cube.

Art Style Nalaku
Another cube type puzzle. This time you control Bob (that's the name I gave him) on a floating cube stack, the aim of the game is to try and walk on as many cubes as possible and at the same time more cubes are falling to make the next layer up. The stack keeps building, but the ones on the bottom fall away eventually. Weird to explain, but the video below reveals all.

Mr Driller
The first third party game on the DSi Ware service and it’s not entirely new, reusing a few assets from the Mr Driller Drill Spirits game. It does contain the Dristone mode, which was in the Japanese release and means we’ll get the mode too. The game is bright and colourful on the DS screen but doesn’t really make use of any of the DSi features.

Links to video footage and video impressions of all the titles.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Like I said, if your nostalgic about C64 then more power to you. I'm not, but yet I can enjoy a cool looking game without that nostalgia. For example on the NES I played River City Ransom for the first time and loved it. It looked cool in videos and I gave it a chance.

I'm not trying to piss any C64 fans off, sorry if I am. Again, this is just how C64 games look to me so I thought I'd vent my disappointment/frustration. I wouldn't think thats a crime in the VC threads. :lol
wat dude? C64 and SMS games look significantly better than almost every NES game. Both systems have considerably better graphics engines. If you really thought RCR "looked cool" but think games like Wonder Boy and Last Ninja look awful, one really has to question your objectivity on this. Both games graphically look better than RCR from a technical level, and both games are hellafun to play. Let me give you some free advice, stop talking through your ass and either put up the $5 to talk shit about these games of shut the fuck up.

Onslaught is awesome. There's something I love about Japanese made FPS . They just have a different way of thinking about the gameplay.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
borghe said:
wat dude? C64 and SMS games look significantly better than almost every NES game. Both systems have considerably better graphics engines. If you really thought RCR "looked cool" but think games like Wonder Boy and Last Ninja look awful, one really has to question your objectivity on this. Both games graphically look better than RCR from a technical level, and both games are hellafun to play. Let me give you some free advice, stop talking through your ass and either put up the $5 to talk shit about these games of shut the fuck up.
The main video mode C64 games use has a very low resolution with odd rectangular pixels (160x200) and a 16 color palette. In still shots, C64 games are going to look horrible compared to NES and SMS games. The 64kb memory does allow the system to do very impressive things with those limitations as evidenced by the video posted above.

borghe said:
Let me give you some free advice, stop talking through your ass and either put up the $5 to talk shit about these games of shut the fuck up.
Wow. Guys, it's my opinion about something. If I say "these games look dull, I dont want this" it shouldn't put any of you in a hissy fit. My complaint would have ended there too had I not had so many people calling me out.

I even apologized if somehow your feelings were hurt by saying that. What more do you want from me? Lie and pretend to be optimistic about games I'm not?

It's my opinion. Do I need to bold that? My opinion. If you think its "wrong" and it causes me to miss out on games you think are great then so be it, my loss. Let it go.

Can we stop hating someone over an opinion?

You may not agree with RFF's opinion, but don't go bashing him with insults about it, respect opinions, even if you don't agree with them.

This is a thread to discuss about the downloadable games on Nintendo's consoles, people are going to have various opinions about each, live with it!

borghe

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Wow. Guys, it's my opinion about something. If I say "these games look dull, I dont want this" it shouldn't put any of you in a hissy fit. My complaint would have ended there too had I not had so many people calling me out.
opinions on things that you've given a shot at are fine. That's not what anyone is calling you out on. The point is that in the face of people telling you this stuff is great, your "opinion" is stemmed from nothing but glancing at (probably not even all the way through) a handful of youtubes. Thus your "opinion" is in fact not an opinion at all but baseless criticism. Hence people calling you on it.

Hero of Legend said:
respect opinions, even if you don't agree with them.
how is it an opinion if he has no basis for it? Refusing to even try the game but calling them crap? How is that an opinion?

"lol, these games suck."
"Have you played them?"
"No, but they suck, just look at the youtubes."
"Right, but have you even tried one?"
"Why would I? They suck."

An exaggeration, but only a very very slight one.

Hero of Legend said:
Can we stop hating someone over an opinion?

You may not agree with RFF's opinion, but don't go bashing him with insults about it, respect opinions, even if you don't agree with them.

This is a thread to discuss about the downloadable games on Nintendo's consoles, people are going to have various opinions about each, live with it!
My only issue with the dude is saying he wishes these games weren't coming out. To me, that's someone who isn't respecting other people's tastes at all, and I'm not about to respect someone that doesn't respect others.

However, he apologized, and he has a Taru avatar so he's likely good cheese, so I'm over it.

borghe said:
opinions on things that you've given a shot at are fine. That's not what anyone is calling you out on. The point is that in the face of people telling you this stuff is great, your "opinion" is stemmed from nothing but glancing at (probably not even all the way through) a handful of youtubes. Thus your "opinion" is in fact not an opinion at all but baseless criticism. Hence people calling you on it.

how is it an opinion if he has no basis for it? Refusing to even try the game but calling them crap? How is that an opinion?

"lol, these games suck."
"Have you played them?"
"No, but they suck, just look at the youtubes."
"Right, but have you even tried one?"
"Why would I? They suck."

An exaggeration, but only a very very slight one.

RFF judged games based on what he saw in videos, that's fine, as that's the safest way of judging games. If you don't like what you see, then don't buy it! No one's going to point a gun to your head.

And so what if he thinks one game looks better than others, regardless of how popular the games he's not interested in are.

If someone said that "Crash Bandicoot looked more interesting to me than Okami", that person has every right to say that, regardless wether Okami is considered to be a masterpiece or not.

This problem applies to me as well, as I've seen quite a few bad mouth me because I'm interested in smaller games like fishing games or even Battle Rage because I was a bit interested and a tad optimistic about the game, especially due to the low price point (and I'm not the only one).

Point is, people have the right to think whatever they want about a game, as long as they don't bad mouth others for having a different opinion.

This is called, having an individualistic mind.

borghe

meh, I guess I just see it as excusing ignorance under an "opinion doctrine".

"I can say whatever I want about something without any basis whatsoever so long as I call it an opinion."

I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Just blows my mind that people will call stuff out for sucking without even giving it one second of their attention. Welcome to the internet I guess.

borghe said:
meh, I guess I just see it as excusing ignorance under an "opinion doctrine".

"I can say whatever I want about something without any basis whatsoever so long as I call it an opinion."

I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Just blows my mind that people will call stuff out for sucking without even giving it one second of their attention. Welcome to the internet I guess.

All that matters to me in this situation is that there's no fuss or anger going on.

Yes this is GAF, fights and flaming happen a lot.

I guess I was more or less trying to help someone.

I'm just trying to be a good person.

borghe said:
I don't need to play every game in order to say if it looks dull or not. If I watch videos of Petz Horsez for Wii and think it looks dull, read reviews of Petz Horsez for Wii and hear a lot of people think its dull, I'm not allowed to say it looks dull as well? We have people praising games like Last Ninja in this thread, and we have people saying its horrible in this same thread. I have not said these games suck like your saying, I said they look dull. "No Basis" for my opinion? I think videos are a great way to get a basis for how something looks.

Anyways what your implying is not how I spend my money. I do some initial research and if the game doesn’t look appealing I don't buy it. Actually I'm pretty sure that’s how everyone buys games and very rarley does somebody say "this looks boring to me but I'm going to spend my hard earned money on it anyways cause maybe I'll be surprised".

Please just relax, I don't want to cause problems. I want to enjoy talking about what I like and don't like in this thread like everyone else.
Segata Sanshiro said:
My only issue with the dude is saying he wishes these games weren't coming out. To me, that's someone who isn't respecting other people's tastes at all, and I'm not about to respect someone that doesn't respect others.
And I didn't mean to come off as "I don't like them so nobody should have them". Re-reading what I wrote sorry if it sounded that way. I was more just frustrated with the way VC games are released. If C64 releases could happily coincide with other releases then I wouldn't be frustrated. But because of the way games are usually released the announcement of C64 came off to me as a long multi-week roadblock of games I don't care for.

Mar

borghe said:

I think I love you.

RuneFactoryFanboy said:

I believe the confusion lies in the fact that we all thought you were judging the games on a technical level. However, reading your following comments, it seems your issues are that you just don't like the look of the game. The pace, etc (Last Ninja I'm talking about here). That's cool. It is a slow paced game. It's a thinking mans adventure game laden with atmosphere. Technically, one of the most amazing 8bit games ever released. But gameplay wise, it has its problems and there are certainly people out there that don't like the style. Regardless if it was the best selling game on the system or not.

Personally though, I think for the asking price, it's worth just about everyone's time to just buy and try. It's a classic game that in the history of video games was a landmark release for its time. One of those games that became legendary and should be tried by every video game fan young or old.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Dragona Akehi said:
I mean it'd be great barring any ogrish behaviour on NOA's part.

NA's getting the SNES Ogre game? I thought that wasn't at least so easy due to Atlus doing the only translation for I think it was the PS1?

Hero of Legend said:
NA's getting the SNES Ogre game? I thought that wasn't at least so easy due to Atlus doing the only translation for I think it was the PS1?

Ah but Enix themselves localised and published the SNES version. While Atlus did publish and retranslate the PSX port of OB, you're probably thinking of Tactics Ogre, where the only localisation was the PSX version by Atlus.

Dragona Akehi said:
Ah but Enix themselves localised and published the SNES version. While Atlus did publish and retranslate the PSX port of OB, you're probably thinking of Tactics Ogre, where the only localisation was the PSX version by Atlus.

Ah yeah, I was thinking of Tactics!

So it's Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen. Is that even out on the VC in Japan? I thought Tactics was the only one out?

Edit: Apparently the ESRB rated it.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Well, I've got a hankering for a quirky but lovable SNES RPG set in a parody of the Uni--

oh, wait. freaking nintendo. D:

In all seriousness, I'd really enjoy Ogre Battle.

alex1893

Mr. Driller just a puzzler? hmm ok... too bad, first thought of a remake of Drill Dozer when I read about it, that would be nice on WiiWare.:D

jjasper

Ogre Battle! Hell yes!

Dragona Akehi said:

And let me guess it would be impossible (due to money or some tech difficulty) for SE to buy the translation and put it into the SNES version.

Jiggy

I'll happily buy the automatic-best version of Ogre Battle. Save states without the water-map slowdown of the PSX version? Excellent.

...Now let's just see if this will be the time where I get Canopus. The one who always eluded me. :(

lyre

Updated the OP that no one checks anymore and here's the unnecessary legacy post for history purposes:

__________Japan__________ (discussion begins with Post #666)

This week's JP WiiWare games (released Feb. 10)

Bubble Bobble Plus (Taito, 1-4 players, 800 points to start)
It's Bubble Bobble, for WiiWare and for 800 points before DLC; there's nothing more to say. More here: Click
Official site (translated): Click
Impressions by Lyte Edge

ss_01.jpg
ss_03.jpg

Boards Warriors (Snowboard Riot) (Hudson soft, 1-2 players, 1,000 points)
translate.google link to official Nintendo page.
ss_01.jpg
ss_02.jpg

Kappa-kun to Asobou: Kappa-kun to 3 Bikino Koneko (Zan Studio, 1 player, 600 points)
translate.google link to the official Nintendo page.
ss_03.jpg

Okiraku Slot Car Racing (Arc System Works, 1-2 players, 500 points)
translate.google link to the official Nintendo page.
ss_01.jpg
ss_04.jpg

This week's JP Virtual Console games (released Feb. 10)

Tactics Ogre (Super Famicom, Square Enix, 1-2 players, 800 points)
Do I really need to type in a description?

00_ph.gif

Two Megadrive games that don't they have their own webpages:

Galaxy Force II NEW 2009年2月3日 セガ 600

Legend of Heroes Dragon Slayer NEW 2009年2月10日 日本ファルコム 700

One PCE game, same as above:

Winning shot NEW 2009年2月10日 Gモード 600

This week's JP DSiWare games (All legacy stuff below)

Solitaire DSi (Nintendo, 1 player, 200 Nintendo Points, 6 Blocks)
Babelfished description: One person of the tramp which from former times is loved in the world you play and inside “[soriteia]”, especially famous recording two types “of spider” and “clone Dyck”. As for name there is no thing which is heard, as for the one you have played suitable many expectation. There is a function of halfway retention, anytime and just a little, it can play to each time when it is less crowded with ease anywhere. When (turning the reset button and power source to OFF, being automatic, it is retained) In addition, because present victory ratio and the number of total victories are recorded, method of enjoying which wins and saves number little by little. In addition, in order not to play too unintentionally, present time and entire [soriteia] time etc of that day are indicated.

Nintendo DSi clock (Nintendo, 1 player, 200 Nintendo Points, ?? Blocks)
Babelfished description: As for the Nintendo DSi clock series, it is the software which can use DSi as the clock. (Editor's note: No shit!) The clock is indicated in the upper screen, can set time in the lower screen, can set the alarm and can set time difference etc. In the future, 'also the Nintendo DSi clock' other than photo stand typing, it is the schedule which is consecutively transmitted.

Almost Day Route Figure 2009 (Nintendo, 1 player, 500 Points, 51 Blocks)
Babelfished description: Almost the daily [itoi] newspaper makes, appeared “almost route figure 2009 edition of day” appears with the DSi wear as an option item “of the day log almost”. Recording the route figure of the nationwide 7 city 6 areas of Tokyo, Osaka & Kobe, Nagoya, Sapporo, Fukuoka and Kyoto. The JR line, it is the route figure where each route of the private railway corporation and the subway has become one. Being handwritten, it searches station name, verifying the emphasis indication and the plural route traffic stations of the route with touch. Furthermore by handwritten memo and the fact that the photograph is stuck, you can customize in your own sufficient My route figure.

Art Style: PiCOPiCT (Nintendo, 1 player, 500 Nintendo Points, 44 Blocks)
(no description available — there's a stupid-ass Flash site instead of copy-and-pastable text)
(no screenshots available — there's a stupid-ass Flash site instead of save-able pictures)

Art Style: SOMNIUM (Nintendo, 1 player, 500 Nintendo Points, 6 Blocks)
(no description available — there's a stupid-ass Flash site instead of copy-and-pastable text)
(no screenshots available — there's a stupid-ass Flash site instead of save-able pictures)

Just a Little Panel de Pon (Nintendo, 1 player, 500 Nintendo Points, 43 Blocks)
Babelfished description: It is the action puzzle of the simple rule where [pon] inserts the panel in left and right with the panel and can apply, three or more turns off arranging vertically or side. 'With Just a Little Panel de Pon' by the fact that it had become the DSiWare, anytime and inserted the software anywhere and when liking without being able to apply, enjoying, reached the point where it can receive. Having DSi vertically, you can play with the stylus. Also it is possible (to be effective and to set the hand). In addition, with setting having DSi itself on its side, in order to play, be able to set, it's also possible to play with the buttons.

Just a Little Several Position Tie Plugs (Editor's note: What the hell??) (Nintendo, 1-4 players, 500 Nintendo Points, 38 Blocks)
Babelfished description: As for 'Just a Little Several Position Tie Plugs', being able to connect the bill where the number is written on the board, the go/shogi type puzzle game which rivals score. The computer in the partner it plays go/shogi alone, thoroughly connecting to Nintendo Wi-Fi connection, it plays go/shogi with the maximum of 4 people. Also the puzzle like stuffing shogi is recorded.

Just a Little [asobi] Large All the Thoroughly Tramps (Nintendo, 1-8 players, 500 Nintendo Points, 31 Blocks)
Babelfished description: The tramp game which can be enjoyed thoroughly 5 types is the software which enters. Besides the fact that it can oppose with the computer, if the Nintendo DS series itself of number of people part (DS/DS Lite/DSi) it is, using DS wireless communication, it can play with maximum of 8 friends. Five tramp games DS software 'Anyone [asobi] Large All' and 'Also [asobi] Large All' are recorded with anyone of the Wi-Fi corresponding world. However, it cannot communicate with these software. In addition, Wi-Fi opposition is not possible.

__________North America__________ (discussion begins with Post #791)

Feb. 9, 2009

WiiWare

LIT
(WayForward Technologies, 1 player, Rated E10+, 800 Wii Points, 232 blocks): Dark creatures have taken over Jake's high school, and it's up to you to guide him through each classroom in order to be reunited with his girlfriend Rachael. Existing light sources must be used smartly to create bridges of light for Jake to cross. One false step and Jake gets pulled into the darkness. Along the way he'll encounter twisted versions of his school's faculty, which must be battled in order to advance. LIT is a horror/puzzle game that requires the Wii Remote™ and Nunchuk™ controllers. It contains 30 levels, five boss battles, replay modes and several unlockables, including multiple endings, Dark Mode timed challenges and an unlockable character.
(images stolen from ***.com)

Official Lit site: http://www.wayforward.com/LIT/
Free Soundtrack download here: http://www.wayforward.com/LIT/downloads/soundtrack.zip

Virtual Console

Wolf of the Battlefield™: MERCS
(SEGA GENESIS, 1 player, Rated E10+, 800 Wii Points, 26 blocks): Following a rash of terrorism outbreaks and increasing opposition from guerilla fighters, the U.S. government has decided to hire a group of professional mercenaries to undergo secret missions, battling through enemy lines to go where no ordinary soldier would dare to go. Based on the popular arcade game, the SEGA GENESIS version of MERCS lets you play as a MERC and also adds an original mode, allowing players to choose from five different characters. Take no prisoners as you shoot, drive jeeps and tanks, and clash against huge bosses to accomplish your mission.

tW-zR5dVzLDYY70Hor38hO2eLkCna1-c.gif
OPrw181I-3oz9xfuGNpYFyVM7nsMkwTe.gif

__________Europe__________ (discussion begins with Post #734)

This week's EU WiiWare game

Pop-Up Pirate!

* Category: Simulation, Puzzle, Action
* Players: 1-4
* Age rating: 3+
* Publisher: Tomy UK Ltd.
* Developer: TOMY
* Release date: 13/02/2009
* Wii Points: 500
* Game language: English, French, German, Spanish, Italian

What is Pop-Up Pirate!?
Everyone can have barrels of fun playing in Pop-Up Party mode, or enjoy a rollicking one-player game in Pop-Up Logic mode. Players must poke through the barrel that holds their Captain captive, being careful not to harm the man himself! Unique Wii features add to the excitement, making for a fun-packed party game. Try swapping out the Captain and putting a Mii™ in the barrel for some real laughs!

Playing Pop-Up Logic
You must select a hole within the time limit and thrust in your sword. If the hole is safe, the Captain will show you how many of the holes within that area are to be avoided. Use these hints to guide your sword thrusts, staying away from the dangerous holes. For every successful sword thrust, extra time will be added to the total time remaining.

Pop-up_Pirate.jpg

Onslaught

* Category: First-Person Action, Action
* Players: 1
* Age rating: 12+
* Publisher: HUDSON SOFT
* Developer: HUDSON SOFT
* Release date: 13/02/2009
* Wii Points: 1000
* Game language: English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Dutch

"Onslaught" is a FPS that puts you in the middle of a futuristic war between humans and insectoid aliens.

You become part of the Elite Interstellar Strike Force, fighting against an overwhelming onslaught of alien lifeforms. Enjoy the rush of mowing down wave after wave of aliens with machine guns, grenades, and more. Feel your heart pound as you battle gigantic boss aliens.

Besides the normal game, "Onslaught" includes modes that let you play with rivals from around the world using Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. Team up with up to 3 other people in Free Battle Mode. Or compete on special maps to see who can get the most points by killing enemies before time runs out in Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Ranking Battle Mode.
Onslaught.jpg

This week's EU Virtual Console games (released Feb. 05)
EU VC update:

WiiWare week.

beje

Banned
As an euro user, I declare this the Official Thread of 2 craps per week and not even trying.

I mean, isn't there anything better out there to make some company to an already shitty game as Snowboard Riot than Beer Frat Games or however is that shit called? Not even another piece of overpriced shovelware to make weekly releases not as sad? This is outrageous, we haven't got updates bigger than 2 games for MONTHS.

Hey, remember Made in Ore, that really cool sounding version of Made in Wario, in which you will be able to make your own minigames ? Well, looks like there's going to be a Wiiware version too, titled "Asobu Made in Ore". Fact is that you'll not be able to make your own minigames in this console version ; however, there will actually be a connectivity between the Wii version and the DS version, which will allow play on your TV all the minigames you've made on your DS and store them in the Wii. You'll also be able to receive minigames from Nintendo both on the Wii and DS.
For info, both versions will be available in Japan on April 29th (DS : 4800 Yen, Wiiware : 800 points).

Source

storl026

Does anyone know if the Nintendo 64 emulator they have running for Virtual Console supports Expansion Pak games yet?

I ask because Donkey Kong 64 and Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask on VC = insta-buy.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
storl026 said:
Does anyone know if the Nintendo 64 emulator they have running for Virtual Console supports Expansion Pak games yet?

I ask because Donkey Kong 64 and Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask on VC = insta-buy.
MM supported the expansion pack? You think that's why we haven't gotten it? I mean, I don't know why they couldn't make those games work... but this is Nintendo.

storl026

Fantastical said:
MM supported the expansion pack? You think that's why we haven't gotten it? I mean, I don't know why they couldn't make those games work... but this is Nintendo.

MM required the Expansion Pak, as did DK64.

Capndrake

Japanese schedule for March:

FC:
-Clu Clu Land
-Takeshi no Chousenjou

SFC:
-Uncharted Waters II

SMS:
-Sonic Chaos

MD:
-Dragon Slayer: Eiyuu Densetsu II (March 3rd)
-Revenge of Shinobi

PCE:
-Space Invaders: The Original Game (CD, March 3rd - Yes, this is almost exactly the same as the SNES one)

BikoBiko

Wow, that Japanese schedule looks kinda empty, looks like VC support is dieing down a bit there too. Also, boo at the EU update :(

Aru

Capndrake said:
Japanese schedule for March:

FC:
-Clu Clu Land
-??? (Something by Taito)

SFC:
-Uncharted Waters II

SMS:
-Sonic Chaos

MD:
-Dragon Slayer: Eiyuu Densetsu II (March 3rd)
-Revenge of Shinobi

PCE:
-Space Invaders: The Original Game (CD, March 3rd - Yes, this is almost exactly the same as the SNES one)

Meh.
I wonder if Seiken Densetsu 3 will be released on the VC.
I'd prefer a DS port à la Chrono Trigger though (because I don't have a JP Wii).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom