• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Worldwide VC, WiiWare, & DSiWare Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryehn

Holy shit, the new VC Arcade interface is cool. Just grabbed Mappy. Asks if you want to create a save, has config options at title, etc.

There's screen options and control config options too! I wish this functionality was added to all VC stuff.

Somnid

My search for Virtual Console Arcade title Ids isn't going so well. Could anyone messing around with them tell me what the file name on the SD card is?

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Virtual Console Arcade sounds great but I'm not in the mood to list a bunch of arcade games I want to see that may or may not make it to the service.

I'm willing to give Nintendo some slack on the recent lack of releases that I wasn't before since they were working on these updates. But now, between the Virtual Console & the Virtual Arcade, we definitely need at least two releases per week. :p

Also, how about the arcade Punch-Out!! & Super Punch-Out!! to coincide with Punch-Out!! Wii's release. Wishful thinking, I'm sure . . .

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
FFantasyFX said:
Also, how about the arcade Punch-Out!! & Super Punch-Out!! to coincide with Punch-Out!! Wii's release. Wishful thinking, I'm sure . . .
IGN is already saying Super Punch-Out is coming next Monday.

borghe said:
IGN is already saying Super Punch-Out is coming next Monday.

You misunderstand. I'm talking about arcade Punch-Out!! and Super Punch-Out!!, which are completely different games from Punch-Out!! NES & Super Punch-Out!! SNES.

Edit: To be absolutely clear - there were four Punch-Out!! titles released prior to the latest iteration for Wii:

Punch-Out!! (arcade - 1984)
Super Punch-Out!! (arcade - 1985)
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!/Punch-Out!! featuring Mr. Dream (NES - 1987)
Super Punch-Out!! (SNES - 1996)

They're a bit more primitive, but I'm wondering what the chances are that we'll see the first two games on the new Virtual Arcade service.

pakkit

Banned
IGN says Super Punch Out!! is coming out Monday in their live-feed and in their release schedule.

10:11 a.m.: Iwata says thank you and closes his keynote. That's all she wrote, folks. Look for IGN's Punch-Out impressions going live any second. And by the way, Super Punch-Out!! is on the VC this Monday.

Hyped!

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Between the storage solution, Virtual Console Arcade, Super Punch-Out coming on Monday, and Final Fantasy games being announced for VC, this is a pretty good day for VC news. :D

We'll all go back to complaining when the release schedule slows to a trickle again, but let's enjoy this while it lasts.

MoxManiac said:
I hate the punch out games :(

You're going to get eaten alive.

Ranger X

Now I'd be curious to see if NOA will wake the fuck up and upload more VC games per update.

I mean, maybe they were holding up because of storage? Now we can eat games at a faster pace right?

RIGHT NOA?

borghe

eh.... I am not saying they were or weren't holding up because of storage... but yes, if that WAS the reason the floodgates should be opening now.

and finally a rest to all of the fridge jokes. Though the MM9/Indy4 gif will forever live on as one of the greatest animated GIFs of all time.

Iam Canadian

Ranger X said:
Now I'd be curious to see if NOA will wake the fuck up and upload more VC games per update.

I mean, maybe they were holding up because of storage? Now we can eat games at a faster pace right?

RIGHT NOA?

That would be nice, especially since there's yet another system to be supported now.

Will it happen? I've had my hopes dashed before, so I'm not sure if I want to raise them again.

Jiggy

Well then.

Time to spend the next two or three weeks composing an enormous list of games that I want on Virtual Console Arcade.

markatisu

OK so everyone who refused to buy WiiWare and VC games because their fridges were full can now go happily into the Wii Shop and purchase correct?

d+pad

To the folks here who want Punch-Out!! to show up on Virtual Arcade: How exactly would that happen? It was a two-screen game, wasn't it?

Anyway, I sure hope Nintendo puts some of its classic arcade titles up there pronto. Donkey Kong, DK Jr., Mario Bros. ... Namco, too :)

Jiggy

markatisu said:
OK so everyone who refused to buy WiiWare and VC games because their fridges were full can now go happily into the Wii Shop and purchase correct?
I sure hope so. These games need to sell so that more of them can be released for people like me who already bought and loved them anyway!

Iam Canadian

markatisu said:

I'm not sure how many people were actually doing this, but I certainly hope that they start buying VC games again, because this is the best solution we could have hoped for. And the VC needs all the support it can get. :D

Somnid

Capndrake said:
Mappy = E73P.

Filed in with NeoGeo games eh?

Also I think Nintendo addressed really everything they needed to, definately what I wanted to see. A usuable storage solution, Virtual Arcade and Final Fantasy games on VC. This should really give VC its second wind and hopefully shutup a few of the complainers.

d+pad said:
To the folks here who want Punch-Out!! to show up on Virtual Arcade: How exactly would that happen? It was a two-screen game, wasn't it?

I believe you are correct. I forgot about that fact . . . I just make requests - I leave it to Nintendo to nix releases based on unresolvable (and resolvable) technical issues. :lol Oh well . . .

Darn, I missed the MM9/Indy 4 gif. I'd like to see it as one last mental send off to our long national nightmare known as Fridgegate. Anyone here have it?

markatisu said:
Perhaps, but I'm willing to bet that most the people complaining and "boycotting" VC over it were never going to buy the games in the first place.

This is awesome awesome news. I'm going to go on a download spree soon now that I don't have to worry about space. I've never played a punchout game before and so I think I will give Super PO a try this monday.

Jiggy

crowphoenix said:
Wait... Arcade perfect Sunset Riders! :O
Do want.

What I'd really love would be the Dungeons & Dragons beat-em-ups, AKA the best beat-em-ups ever (or some of the best action RPGs if you'd like to consider them that), but I don't know how much hope I should have for Capcom's dedicated hardware. Those were also fairly late arcade games, and the fact that I recognize basically none of the titles of the currently-announced Virtual Console Arcade games suggests to me that they're probably starting with older games. I don't know the history of arcades particularly well, but I'm guessing that Virtual Console Arcade wouldn't have even been possible unless arcades shared some kind of relatively unified system at first...

I refused to buy a single Wii Ware game because of storage limitations, I passed on World of Goo, My Life As a king, Lost Winds and Mega Man 9 because I didn't want to delete my favorite VC games or juggle titles back and forth on an SD. I even held off making VC purchases. Now I can stream content directly off ofan SD card I am going to buy one and start buying more Wii Ware and VC titles.

Also Super Punch Out, fuck yeah!

MoxManiac

Jiggy said:
Do want.

What I'd really love would be the Dungeons & Dragons beat-em-ups, AKA the best beat-em-ups ever (or some of the best action RPGs if you'd like to consider them that), but I don't know how much hope I should have for Capcom's dedicated hardware. Those were also fairly late arcade games, and the fact that I recognize basically none of the titles of the currently-announced Virtual Console Arcade games suggests to me that they're probably starting with older games. I don't know the history of arcades particularly well, but I'm guessing that Virtual Console Arcade wouldn't have even been possible unless arcades shared some kind of relatively unified system at first...

Er, the hardware won't be the hurdle to get D&D released, it'll be licensing issues.

Jiggy said:
Do want.

I'm imagining that it might be some how based of the MAME engine if they are emulations, which can run most things.

I don't actually think most acrade games shared boards as the arcade was often about pushing boundaries.

Iam Canadian

Myself, I'd like to shill for Strider. Now that's how you do a 2D action game; Strider is incredibly over-the-top in its set-pieces and it has awesome boss battles (particularly the giant hammer and sickle-wielding snake boss). I've never actually played it, unfortunately, but just watching videos tells me that I need this game.

Ah man, it's been so long, I wonder if I can actually remember all of those old beat-em ups I used to play in the arcade.

Edit: I think tonight, I'll pick up Tower of Daruga and Twinbee in celebration. :D

Jiggy

MoxManiac said:
Er, the hardware won't be the hurdle to get D&D released, it'll be licensing issues.
Because of licensing, I'm not hoping for various Capcom Disney games or Konami TMNT games--but I don't see the Dungeons & Dragons license as being on par with the likes of those in terms of copyright holders' reluctance to let others re-release older games for a relatively low price.

It could still be unreasonable hope despite that, of course.

Chemo

markatisu said:
Yep. I'll pick up Ys Books I & II and Secret of Mana in the near future.

MoxManiac

crowphoenix said:
I'm imagining that it might be some how based of the MAME engine if they are emulations, which can run most things.

I don't actually think most acrade games shared boards as the arcade was often about pushing boundaries.

A lot of earlier arcade games were independent hardware, but the 90s saw a push towards dedicated arcade hardware for multiple games (SNK - NeoGeo, Capcom - CPS1/2/3, Sega - System16/32)

swerve

SD Solution goes way beyond what I was expecting. So much fun flicking through pages of games on the SD card and sorting them by system.

No, alphabetically!

No, by publisher!

No, by system again. Yes. That's best.

Copies across to my system really quickly. Lost Winds took around ten seconds.

All round.... amazing. The only annoying thing is having to download all my catalogue in one go.

And downloads straight to SD stop on the 'mario jumping at 100%' for about 40 seconds.

Small price to pay for what we've got.

JOY.

borghe

Chemo said:
Yep. I'll pick up Ys Books I & II and Secret of Mana in the near future.
Firstly I am going to start with actually, you know... DOWNLOADING all of the games I have rights to. With Ys and MLAAK permanent residents on my Wii it hasn't left room for, well.. anything. After that.. well... yeah... Nintendo really gave us a seemingly perfect solution. Took em almost 2.5 years to do it, but FINALLY for an additional cost of like $20 I don't have to worry about storage on my Wii ever again.

Hopefully this means more developers are allowed to save games directly to SD also.. Custom soundtracks though I am guessing is a bit much.

swerve said:
The only annoying thing is having to download all my catalogue in one go.

This is what I dread. It will probably take me a couple of hours to get everything downloaded.

And downloads straight to SD stop on the 'mario jumping at 100%' for about 40 seconds.
glad to know. Thanks.

Small price to pay for what we've got.

JOY.
agreed. This is well beyond what I was actually expecting (which tells you how low I set the bar). Before Nintendo had the best download service with some serious caveats. Now, once again, they have far and away the best download service of the three consoles.

MoxManiac said:
A lot of earlier arcade games were independent hardware, but the 90s saw a push towards dedicated arcade hardware for multiple games (SNK - NeoGeo, Capcom - CPS1/2/3, Sega - System16/32)
Really? That is good news then.

bengraven

bryehn said:
Holy shit, the new VC Arcade interface is cool. Just grabbed Mappy. Asks if you want to create a save, has config options at title, etc.

There's screen options and control config options too! I wish this functionality was added to all VC stuff.

God I want to log in. My biggest gripe about VC has been solved. Thank you Nintendo for always finding things for me to buy.

Jiggy

My SD card menu started off auto-sorted by system, but I'm re-organizing it to by date downloaded since I'm rather familiar with the timelines of when all the games I downloaded released. I kind of wish they had some options for automatic sorting, though--unless there is one and I'm just missing it.

swerve

It's genuinely like heavenly christmas funday for VC and WiiWare enthusiasts such as myself.

Seeing all my games lined up and ready to go is *incredible*.

Only other 'lil snag is after you play a game from the card, the temporary SD menu memory file will not completely go away unless you go in and delete it, even if you power the system off. Not really a bad thing at all though because it's actually convenient for frequently played games, especially larger titles.

edit: And I'd like to second what Swerve said. Paging through channels on the SD screen is a nice feeling. :)

borghe

Agent Unknown said:
Only other 'lil snag is after you play a game from the card, the temporary SD menu memory file will not completely go away unless you go in and delete it, even if you power the system off. Not really a bad thing at all though because it's actually convenient for frequently played games, especially larger titles.
I think that was actually the point. If you just played MLAAK and went back to it tomorrow, it loads up instantly. Pretty sure that is intentional.

Posted this in the GDC thread but Figured Ide post it here to.

English DSi Shop sceens.

DSiWarePointCategories.png

DSiWareShopChannelMenu02.jpg

DSiWareShopChannelPoints01.jpg

Got them off the Nintendo GDC Press site.

Looks cool...there better be a few launch titles. Really getting worried that they wont launch anything on DSiWare day 1 (The browser does'nt count)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom