• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Worldwide VC, WiiWare, & DSiWare Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tucah

you speak so well
Arg, I was really hoping for MM. I never gave the game a chance on N64 and instantly dismissed it, but I really want to give it a shot now.

borghe said:
My only annoyance is that Uncharted Waters would be a game you'd throw up with another solid SNES release or something. Nowhere near good enough to warrant its own week.

I know Majora's Mask is casting its shadow over this week's releases, but I have to say that last statement is a lie, you filthy cur. :p

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I'm not going to lie, I was starting to hype myself up for Majora's Mask
or EarthBound D:
so this week is somewhat disappointing.

Still, I'll give Uncharted Waters a chance to pleasantly surprise me.

Also, I'd actually give this one-VC game week a pass seeing as it's the debut of DSiWare, but one-VC game weeks have become the norm, so Nintendo gets no pass from me. D:

Magnus

How ridiculous would it be to hope that one day, Virtual Console titles downloaded for the Wii may be playable on the DSi? :(

Magnus said:
How ridiculous would it be to hope that one day, Virtual Console titles downloaded for the Wii may be playable on the DSi? :(

Wouldn't it be a problem to downsize those games to fit DSi's resolution? I don't know, just saying.

I don't know why anyone is surprised that Majora's Mask isn't out for NA VC. It's going to be a month before it shows up, just like Castlevania 3 last time.

It's NOA.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Magnus said:

Well, the DSi could reasonable emulate everything but the N64, so theoretically everything in the catalog could be made available.

However, it would require Nintendo do some extra work because the VC games downloaded to the Wii are single files containing the rom and the emulator needed to run it. So, they'd have to go through the catalog and re-bundle every game with a DSi-specific emulator.

This isn't even going into what specific deals Nintendo has struck with its VC partners. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the contracts specifically forbid format shifting or portability. So there is the possibility that new deals would also have to be struck between the companies.

I dunno, it'd be nice, but I don't think we should think of it as a definite possibility.

Hobbun

Dragona Akehi said:
I don't know why anyone is surprised that Majora's Mask isn't out for NA VC. It's going to be a month before it shows up, just like Castlevania 3 last time.

It's NOA.

I think it's because it also hit NoE. If was just just NoJ, it wouldn't be that big of a surprise.

People are "Wtf, it comes out in EU and Japan and not NA?" And I can see their point.

And saying "It's NOA" is no excuse, just means they have to start doing better.

Yaweee

Artadius said:
I loved Uncharted 2 growing up. Never could beat it... it was very unforgiving.

Hmm...

My entire group of friends was fixated on the game during Junior High, which is pretty awesome for what is essentially a game about naval battles and real world geography.

I think I beat it with all six characters (despite never owning it, which will be fixed soon). For anyone starting off, Joao or Pietro are the best characters for beginners, while Ali's game is the most advanced.

Jiggy

I have yet to see a Commodore 64 or VC Arcade game that I want to play, but despite that it's ridiculous that both have so recently been added and yet aren't getting much--there's been one C64 game post-launch and that's it.

Anyway, Uncharted Waters: New Horizons. I'm going to think about it, but I have to read up on some FAQs for this one first; I remember getting nowhere fast pretty much every time I tried to play it. Maybe I was just too young to understand its mechanics, although that doesn't entirely make sense to me in theory since I managed Ogre Battle, Gemfire, and other games just fine.

Hobbun said:
And saying "It's NOA" is no excuse, just means they have to start doing better.
That's not an excuse; it's an explanation. And often a sentiment of disdain, too.

HoTHiTTeR

morningbus said:
Well, the DSi could reasonable emulate everything but the N64, so theoretically everything in the catalog could be made available.

However, it would require Nintendo do some extra work because the VC games downloaded to the Wii are single files containing the rom and the emulator needed to run it. So, they'd have to go through the catalog and re-bundle every game with a DSi-specific emulator.

This isn't even going into what specific deals Nintendo has struck with its VC partners. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the contracts specifically forbid format shifting or portability. So there is the possibility that new deals would also have to be struck between the companies.

I dunno, it'd be nice, but I don't think we should think of it as a definite possibility.

before any/all of this should happen, they need to make a unified login so you can recover games & points across consoles/handhelds. the club nintendo login would do just fine.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Hobbun said:
I think it's because it also hit NoE. If was just just NoJ, it wouldn't be that big of a surprise.

People are "Wtf, it comes out in EU and Japan and not NA?" And I can see their point.

To be fair, we shouldn't exactly be surprised since the exact same thing happened with Mega Man. Europe had Mega Man and Mega Man 2 before we even got the first one.

Hobbun said:
Question is, why does NOA have to be this exception (of disdain)?

Precedent, basically.

Hobbun said:
Who knows? Perhaps they feel that all of the big games need a real reason to be released? Perhaps they just feel like making us wait a bit longer to stretch their collection of games out? Maybe they're trying to build hype for the seven people who care? Or could it be that they hate us?

The world may never know.

Jiggy

Hobbun said:
Ok, gotcha.

Because they're the ones not releasing games like Smash Bros. and Majora's Mask, while other regions have them? Maybe I just don't understand your wording...
Though admittedly Europe has been shafted for a very long time by Nintendo--but just not so much in areas related to VC/WiiWare.

Iam Canadian said:
Europe had Mega Man and Mega Man 2 before we even got the first one.
And had them each over a year beforehand, or so says Wikipedia.

Hobbun

Jiggy said:
Because they're the ones not releasing games like Smash Bros. and Majora's Mask, while other regions have them? Maybe I just don't understand your wording...

No, you actually misunderstood my wording. I wasn't asking why they were disdained, but why are they acting that way to cause it.

I thought maybe someone might have heard something already why NoA feels they need to delay or not release games.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Ugh NoA...I'm pretty surprised how annoyed I am at this. Oh well, still have yet to turn on my wii in 2009, so I guess another month of solitude won't matter.

Jiggy

Hobbun said:
No, you actually misunderstood my wording. I wasn't asking why they were disdained, but why are they acting that way to cause it.
Oh. In that case, see Dragona's answer. :p

Edit: But in all seriousness, I don't understand it at all even though we've been discussing this subject almost literally for years.

Hobbun

Jiggy said:
Oh. In that case, see Dragona's answer. :p

Edit: But in all seriousness, I don't understand it at all even though we've been discussing this subject almost literally for years.

Again, I thought maybe someone might have heard a reason why NoA does it. I guess not.

Ok, dicks it is. Fuckers (NoA)

Thanks.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
beelzebozo said:
so if you guys could recommend one wiiware game, what would it be?

depends if you're looking for a one-off experience (lostwinds, ffcc: my life as a king) or something a little more replayable/extensive/arcadey (toki tori, world of goo, art style orbient, bonsai barber)

Ranger X said:
How come we don't have that stickied NOA-rant thread yet? :p

NOA deserves any visible negativity towards them.

I could make an announcement that reads: "NOA are dicks." and the body could be "or, possibly dickbags, wipes or other combination of dick + word."

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
probably something extensive, more akin to something you'd expect to find at retail. though, with that description out there, let me go ahead and name some things that looked interesting and annihilate the perception of what i'm looking for. these all seem interesting:

- toki tori
- world of goo
- cubello

and on v.c., considering snagging:

- punch-out & super punch-out
- paper mario
- mario golf

Jiggy

cartman414 said:
I think they're saving it for their "Game #300!" milestone.
If this truly is their reasoning, I just hope that we don't end up in a situation where in six weeks we'll have Smash Bros. or Majora's Mask, then we need to wait fifty more weeks for the next one, another fifty for Yoshi's Island, and another fifty for Super Mario Kart.

:p

beelzebozo said:
so if you guys could recommend one wiiware game, what would it be?
Mega Man 9. If you already have that on another system or just don't like 2D platforming action, then Toki Tori.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Jiggy said:
Mega Man 9. If you already have that on another system or just don't like 2D platforming action, then Toki Tori.

i own mega man 9 and am awful at it, unfortunately :/

will scope out videos of LIT, and yeah, toki tori is near the top of my list.

Hobbun

Jiggy said:

Mega Man 9 is a great game. But damn is it hard. I mean it feels even more difficult than the originals.

Hobbun

Jiggy said:
If this truly is their reasoning, I just hope that we don't end up in a situation where in six weeks we'll have Smash Bros. or Majora's Mask, then we need to wait fifty more weeks for the next one, another fifty for Yoshi's Island, and another fifty for Super Mario Kart.

Agreed.

Someone here needs to get a job at their HQ in Redmond (at the right department) so they can give us the "real" reasoning and upcoming releases for the VC. Tired of not knowing shit about NoA releases, VC or otherwise.

Ranger X

Dragona Akehi said:
I could make an announcement that reads: "NOA are dicks." and the body could be "or, possibly dickbags, wipes or other combination of dick + word."

I vote for this totally deserved immaturity. :lol

beelzebozo said:
probably something extensive, more akin to something you'd expect to find at retail. though, with that description out there, let me go ahead and name some things that looked interesting and annihilate the perception of what i'm looking for. these all seem interesting:

- toki tori
- world of goo
- cubello

and on v.c., considering snagging:

- punch-out & super punch-out
- paper mario
- mario golf
World of Goo is a really enjoyable physics puzzle game, and definitely has high enough production values to seem like a retail release. And gets pretty challenging, though the first several will teach you the basics without actually cramming information down your throat.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i snagged cubello, toki tori, and paper mario.

jrcq9y.jpg

i regret nothiiiiiiiiiing

Shiggy

So I bought Orbient since I liked Orbital for GBA quite a bit.
Actually, the first 29 levels were pretty easy, but then level 30 with the black holes...arrrg :D
Now I'll have to get all the moons and finish the other 20 levels.

I also started playing Orbital again. Is it just me or is the last galaxy frustrating. I never finished the first level until today. Now I'm stuck with level 3...I wonder what the final levels in Orbient will look like.

Real Soccer by Gameloft coming to DSiWare. Nice

http://dsiware.nintendolife.com/news/2009/04/gameloft_announces_real_soccer_2009_for_dsiware

FEATURES AND BENEFITS:

■Exlcusive Nintendo DS stylus controls allow you to easily perform the most amazing soccer moves on the Touch Screen.
■A multiplayer mode to face up to 3 friends in heated tournaments (Multi-Card Play)
■Take a picture with your DSi camera and display it on the ball, on the giant stadium screen, as a team flag, or a player's face.
■6 different leagues and 198 teams (national and club) with real players' names thanks to the FIFPro license.
■Experience the atmosphere of 3 great soccer stadiums.
■Manage the team's strategy using the Nintendo DS stylus in real time during the match.
■A true-to-life soccer experience thanks to detailed animations and realistic teammate and opponent behaviors.

I'm definitely saving some of my points for this one.

Oxx

Did anybody post Nintendo Europe's WiiWare/DSiWare line-up for April - July?

WW

BONSAI BARBER (FROM NINTENDO)
CAVE STORY (FROM NICALIS)
COLORZ (FROM EXKEE)
ICARIAN: KINDRED SPIRITS™ (FROM OVER THE TOP GAMES)
LIT (FROM WAYFORWARD TECHNOLOGIES)
OVERTURN: MECHA WARS (FROM STUDIOZAN AND GAMEBRIDGE)
ROBOCALYPSE™ - BEAVER DEFENSE (FROM VOGSTER ENTERTAINMENT)
SPACEBALL: REVOLUTION (FROM VIRTUAL TOYS)
SQUIBS ARCADE (FROM ALTEN8 LIMITED)
SWORDS & SOLDIERS (FROM RONIMO GAMES)
WATER WARFARE (FROM HUDSON SOFT CO. LTD.)

DS

NINTENDO DSi BROWSER (ALREADY AVAILABLE FROM NINTENDO)
A LITTLE BIT OF…. DR KAWASHIMA'S BRAIN TRAINING: MATHS EDITION (COMING SOON ON NINTENDO DSiWARE FROM NINTENDO)
ART STYLE: AQUITE (ALREADY AVAILABLE FROM NINTENDO)
ART STYLE: CODE (ALREADY AVAILABLE FROM NINTENDO)
ART STYLE: PICOPICT (COMING SOON ON NINTENDO DSiWARE FROM NINTENDO)
MIGHTY FLIP CHAMPS (COMING SOON ON NINTENDO DSiWARE FROM WAYFORWARD TECHNOLOGIES)
MIXED MESSAGES™ (COMING SOON ON NINTENDO DSiWARE FROM VICARIOUS VISIONS)
PAPER PLANE (ALREADY AVAILABLE FROM NINTENDO)
POP SUPERSTAR: ROAD TO CELEBRITY (COMING SOON ON NINTENDO DSiWARE FROM GAME LOFT)
PYORO (ALREADY AVAILABLE FROM NINTENDO)
REAL FOOTBALL 2009 (COMING SOON ON NINTENDO DSiWARE FROM GAME LOFT)
WARIOWARE: SNAPPED! (ALREADY AVAILABLE FROM NINTENDO)

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/news/2008/wiiware__nintendo_dsiware_media_summit_12259.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom