• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Worldwide VC, WiiWare, & DSiWare Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meesh

Something I didn't realize before, but I can't swap save files/VC games to my other Wii. Anyone know if Nintendo plans to fix this for multiple Wii owners? I already own the damn game, do I really need ot buy it twice??? It's a real pain in the ass having to change out Wiis just to play RE on my HD :(

Somnid

Evilink said:
Something I didn't realize before, but I can't swap save files/VC games to my other Wii. Anyone know if Nintendo plans to fix this for multiple Wii owners? I already own the damn game, do I really need ot buy it twice??? It's a real pain in the ass having to change out Wiis just to play RE on my HD :(

Something tells me this system of yours could be a lot more efficent but...

The answer is absolutely not. This would be a heavily abused system. You might get a licensed transfer tool at some point but swapping will never happen. By Nintendo's design multiple Wii owners should not exist, there's no reason. In fact, multiple Wii households shouldn't really either. The system simply is not designed for such things and Nintendo will never cater to people with multiples.

donny2112 said:
What about a compromise? A monthly Wii/DS thread that gets updated weekly or more often with the updates from each region. That way 1) those interested in the latest releases can find them in the OP, 2) those interested in continuing discussion can do so over the course of the month, 3) the thread isn't dependent long-term on the ability/willingness of the OP to keep it updated, and 4) those keeping bookmarks only need to update them once a month. :p

That way if the same person wants to keep doing it, great, and if they get bored/banned, someone else can pick it up with minimal fuss. The OP should also link to the recent monthly threads, as well, to provide a history. How does this sound? :)

Sounds good. It keeps the threads from sprawling too far, but cuts down on the pressure to keep it updated fully every week (although, as you say, it can be kept up-to-date as new releases appear and new info crops up). Most meaningful discussion will have burnt itself out over the course of the month anyway, so by the time a new one rolls around it'll probably be perfect timing.

I'll post a draft tomorrow in the thread here to see if anyone thinks it's worth pursuing.

Meesh

Somnid said:

The answer is absolutely not. This would be a heavily abused system. You might get a licensed transfer tool at some point but swapping will never happen. By Nintendo's design multiple Wii owners should not exist, there's no reason. In fact, multiple Wii households shouldn't really either. The system simply is not designed for such things and Nintendo will never cater to people with multiples.

The issue started with Animal Crossing Wii, there's no split screen, so two people can't play at the same time in the same town. Why they wouldn't allow split screen is beyond me, playing with family is what this game's all about...

Anyways, I bought a second Wii and Animal Crossing so we could play at the same time, exchange items, yadda yadda...My first Wii is downstairs, which is where I play my copy of AX, and also where all my VC games are. My wife plays AX upstairs on our 47'HD, and everything was rosy until I wanted to play OoT on my HD set. I tried copying the saved files of my VC games, also save files from RE4, to the upstairs Wii and It was a no go.

Nintendo keeps a record of consoles, and VC/WiiWare games owned by those who register their stuff online. I don't understand why those few customers who have registered both Wii's can't save those games on their second one. It about convenience really...and not being able to transfer a save file from RE4 to my other Wii? Good gawd, why not? Haaaaaaalp!

Somnid

Evilink said:
The issue started with Animal Crossing Wii, there's no split screen, so two people can't play at the same time in the same town. Why they wouldn't allow split screen is beyond me, playing with family is what this game's all about...

Anyways, I bought a second Wii and Animal Crossing so we could play at the same time, exchange items, yadda yadda...My first Wii is downstairs, which is where I play my copy of AX, and also where all my VC games are. My wife plays AX upstairs on our 47'HD, and everything was rosy until I wanted to play OoT on my HD set. I tried copying the saved files of my VC games, also save files from RE4, to the upstairs Wii and It was a no go.

Nintendo keeps a record of consoles, and VC/WiiWare games owned by those who register their stuff online. I don't understand why those few customers who have registered both Wii's can't save those games on their second one. It about convenience really...and not being able to transfer a save file from RE4 to my other Wii? Good gawd, why not? Haaaaaaalp!

Because they can't tell who the owner is. You can't register 2 systems to the same Club Nintendo account either. A lot of people would probably just fake register a Wii to someone else's account and then share their whole VC collection. Like I said it may be possible for them to implement a license transfer which would void all tickets on one Wii but allowing multiple active copies doesn't make any sense, especially in a 1 Wii per house paradigm. As for RE4 you'd have to take that up with Capcom. Most Wii saves aren't copy locked and should be transferrable to any Wii.

Meesh

Somnid said:
Because they can't tell who the owner is. You can't register 2 systems to the same Club Nintendo account either. A lot of people would probably just fake register a Wii to someone else's account and then share their whole VC collection. Like I said it may be possible for them to implement a license transfer which would void all tickets on one Wii but allowing multiple active copies doesn't make any sense, especially in a 1 Wii per house paradigm. As for RE4 you'd have to take that up with Capcom. Most Wii saves aren't copy locked and should be transferrable to any Wii.

I registered my second Wii on Nintendos product website, got the extended warranty...I kinda thought they had their bean counters keeping tabs on who's doing what, how much, and how often?

But I understand what you're saying completely, Nintendo's always been heavy anti-piracy, so it makes sense...I just don't entirely agree in this case.lol

The one Wii per household mantra, if there ever was one, doesn't work for families that well...that is to say, the "core" gamer and his family will probably play games from a wider library than a new "casual" family who bought their Wii for Mario Kart, Wii Fit, or whatever the case may be.

So while my boys are playing "X" game downstairs, I can still enjoy "Y" game upstairs...we're not always "playing together" as the Wiis name indicates. We play a variety...And yet, there's Animal Crossing...I blame my new found frustration on Nintendo for not allowing families to get together conveniently on this, they really dropped the ball.

Thus, my sadness continues...Will I shamefully buy more than one copy of a few VC games? Yes, and I feel a little jilted...but that's OK, I need something to complain about, now that Nintendo's receiving decent third part support, mature games are on the rise, and Final Fantasy 4 pt2 is coming...

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Personally, I'm very much opposed to creating more VC threads. This one works fine; even if the OP isn't updated, it's not like it takes a lot of effort to find the latest releases. Having to move onto a new thread each week or month and effectively reboot all discussion is just a waste. Keep this thread, maybe combine it with Kobun Heat's old thread, and leave things be.

I believe Mischef Makers was left out of the list for N64 titles.

Also, I'd rather not have a weekly thread each week. It makes me harder to find information you might want to refer to later or miss out on if you have more than 1 thread. Plus, you can't subscribe to them.

Somnid

Mockingbird said:
I believe Mischef Makers was left out of the list for N64 titles.

Also, I'd rather not have a weekly thread each week. It makes me harder to find information you might want to refer to later or miss out on if you have more than 1 thread. Plus, you can't subscribe to them.

It's technically a Treasure title, Nintendo published it in the US and EU only.

Also, Mario Party can probably be slashed due to the whole stick rotating fiasco.

It does look like Nintendo has a dry well especially seeing as they are finally trying to get expansion pack games up. If anyone wants to do the same for Hudson and Sega I'd be interested to see those too. With support dwindling I have to imagine it's the same thing. It wouldn't be so bad if D4 hadn't basically walked away in the middle, what ever happened to them?

schlew

Evilink said:
...and not being able to transfer a save file from RE4 to my other Wii? Good gawd, why not? Haaaaaaalp!

That's odd, because when RE4 Wii came out, I wanted access to the "new" stuff right away (I had already played and beaten RE4 on my Gamecube).

So I went to whatever Wii save website a week or two post-release and got a save from there.

I know it's not the exact same situation, but I don't understand why I could use a save from a website, but one could not move their save to another Wii directly.

Another go-round for a template for a monthly thread.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NINTENDO DIGITAL DOWNLOADS - APRIL 2009

virtualconsole.jpg

The Virtual Console catalogue is updated weekly in Japan and the United States, and fortnightly in Europe and Australasia. Updates are on Tuesday, Monday and Thursday respectively. Newest releases are listed first and marked with an asterisk.

Japan

US

Europe/Australasia
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64 / 1000 points) *

wiiware.jpg

The WiiWare catalogue is updated weekly in Japan and the United States, and fortnightly in Europe and Australasia. Updates are on Tuesday, Monday and Thursday respectively. WiiWare updates alternate with Virtual Console updates in Europe and Australasia. Newest releases are listed first and marked with an asterisk.

Japan

US

Europe/Australasia

dsiware.jpg

The DSiWare catalogue is updated weekly in Japan. The update schedule for the US and Europe/Australasia has not been fixed yet. Newest releases are listed first and marked with an asterisk.

Japan

US

Europe/Australasia

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MISCELLANEOUS

Nintendo will occasionally make new Channels available through the Wii Shop, or update the system firmware of the Wii and DSi with new features. Any new Channels or updates will be listed here.

The various national ratings organisations will also occasionally provide advance notice of new releases and individual companies may announce forthcoming releases. These updates, together with all other news relating to the services will be listed here. Newest ratings updates are listed first and marked with an asterisk. As games are released, they will be removed from the lists.

Channel and System Updates

Japan

US

Europe/Australasia

Ratings Updates

ESRB
Secret Command (Virtual Console / Master System / SEGA) *
Summer Games II (Virtual Console / C64 / Commodore Gaming) *
Tower Toppler (Virtual Console / C64 / Commodore Gaming) *

A Boy and His Blob: Trouble on Blobonia (Virtual Console / NES / Majesco)
Crack Down (Virtual Console / Megadrive / SEGA)
Earthworm Jim 2 (Virtual Console / Megadrive / Interplay)
ESWAT: City Under Siege (Virtual Console / Megadrive / SEGA)
Genghis Khan II (Virtual Console / SNES / Koei)
Nobunaga's Ambition (Virtual Console / SNES / Koei)
Pengo (Virtual Console / Megadrive / SEGA)
Pilotwings (Virtual Console / SNES / Nintendo)
Pro Wrestling (Virtual Console / NES / Nintendo)
Pulseman (Virtual Console / Megadrive / SEGA)
Sonic & Knuckles (Virtual Console / Megadrive / SEGA)
Star Parodius (Virtual Console / TG16 / Hudson)
Super Pitfall (Virtual Console / SNES / Activision)
Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers (Virtual Console / Megadrive / SEGA)
Uncharted Waters: New Horizons (Virtual Console / SNES / Koei)
Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair (Virtual Console / Megadrive / SEGA)

Ant Nation (WiiWare / Konami) *
Beat Runner (WiiWare / Yukes) *
Drill Sergeant Mindstrong (WiiWare / XSEED) *
Let's CATCH (WiiWare / SEGA) *
Penguins & Friends (WiiWare / Gammick Entertainment) *

American Popstar Road to Celebrity (DSiWare / Gameloft) *
Bird and Beans (DSiWare / Nintendo) *
Paper Airplane Chase (DSiWare / Nintendo) *
Real Soccer 2009 (DSiWare / Gameloft) *

OFLC

PEGI
BIT.TRIP.BEAT (WiiWare / Aksys Games)
BUBBLE BOBBLE Plus! (WiiWare / Square Enix)
ColorZ (WiiWare / Exkee)
Critters (WiiWare / Konami)
Dragon Master Spell Caster (WiiWare / Stickmen Limited)
Heracles: Chariot Racing (WiiWare / Neko Entertainment)
Penguins & Friends (WiiWare / Gammick Entertainment)
Swords and Soldiers (WiiWare / Ronimo Games)

Art Style: AQUITE (DSiWare / Nintendo)
Art Style: CODE (DSiWare / Nintendo)
Mixed Messages (DSiWare / Activision)
Paper Plane (DSiWare / Nintendo)
Pyoro (DSiWare / Nintendo)
WarioWare Snapped! (DSiWare / Nintendo)

New Announcements

Virtual Console

WiiWare
BUBBLE BOBBLE Plus (WiiWare / Square Enix) Link
Military Madness (WiiWare / Hudson) Link
RAINBOW ISLANDS: TOWERING ADVENTURE (WiiWare / Square Enix) Link
Vektor Tank (WiiWare / Bplus) Link

DSiWare

Links

ESRB
OFLC
PEGI

NoA Press Room

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Somnid said:
Also, Mario Party can probably be slashed due to the whole stick rotating fiasco.

I could see them skipping the first Mario Party due to that... but Mario Party 2 should be fine. Mario Party 2 was really the best of the series, anyway.

Wilsongt

NINTENDO DOWNLOAD: SIX NINTENDO DSIWARE TITLES, ONE WIIWARE GAME AND ONE VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAME ADDED TO SHOP CHANNELS

April 6, 2009

This week marks the launch of Nintendo DSi™, the third iteration of the nation's top-selling portable video game system. Along with it comes the grand opening of the Nintendo DSi Shop, an online store where players can redeem Nintendo DSi Points™ for a wide variety of games and applications, including Nintendo DSiWare™ titles. Just as the WiiWare™ service does for Wii™ owners, the Nintendo DSiWare service delivers an ever-growing library of cool new downloadable content for Nintendo DSi users, with new games added on Mondays.

For this first edition of Nintendo Download, we're pleased to highlight the latest additions to both the Nintendo DSi Shop and the Wii Shop Channel. You'll find six Nintendo DSiWare titles to choose from, including a free Web browser that lets Nintendo DSi owners access the Internet with a swipe of the stylus. Wii users, meanwhile, will see a fun new WiiWare game that's compatible with the Wii Balance Board™ (sold separately with Wii Fit™), plus a classic exploration game for the Virtual Console™.

Nintendo adds new titles to the Nintendo DSi Shop and the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time on Mondays. Users with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ or Nintendo DSi Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel. Nintendo DSi Points can be purchased in the Nintendo DSi Shop. A Nintendo Points Card™ can be purchased at retail locations. All Nintendo Points from one Nintendo Points Card must be redeemed in either the Nintendo DSi Shop or the Wii Shop Channel. They are not transferable and cannot be divided between the two systems. This week's new games are:

Nintendo DSiWare

Nintendo DSi Browser (Nintendo, 1 player, 0 Nintendo DSi Points): Get on the Web with ease using the Nintendo DSi Browser. Powered by Opera, this simple-to-use Web browser is made specifically for the Nintendo DSi system, providing a seamless and intuitive browsing experience that makes the most of the system's touch controls and two-screen interface. Check e-mail, get the latest news updates and more – wherever a wireless Internet connection is available. Just grab your stylus and start surfing.

Bird & Beans™ (Nintendo, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone, 200 Nintendo DSi Points): In Bird & Beans, you control Pyoro, a small bird with an elastic tongue and an insatiable appetite for beans. Scramble to catch beans that fall from the sky, racking up points as you go. The farther away the bean, the more points it's worth. Beware any beans that are missed – they'll leave a hole in the ground that can't be crossed, potentially trapping Pyoro. Bird & Beans also features a second version that enables Pyoro to spit seeds at high speed, bringing down more beans than ever before. This fun and fast-paced game requires skill and strategy to master, and always leaves you wanting to play just one more time.

Master of Illusion™ Express: Funny Face (Nintendo, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone, 200 Nintendo DSi Points): Master of Illusion Express titles are mind-boggling magic tricks pulled from the popular Nintendo DS™ game. Learn the illusions, practice up and amaze your friends. Master of Illusion Express: Funny Face uses your Nintendo DSi system as a prop in a card trick. Draw a face on the touch-sensitive screen and astound your audience as the face tells them which playing card they picked. Also included is the bonus Vanishing Card trick, which the Nintendo DSi system performs for your enjoyment.

Art Style™: AQUIA™ (Nintendo, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone, 500 Nintendo DSi Points): Dive into Art Style: AQUIA, a fast-paced underwater puzzle game that asks you to think fast and move even faster. Help a scuba diver reach the ocean's floor by matching three or more colored blocks horizontally or vertically. The more blocks you match, the faster the diver will descend. Fail to clear blocks and the diver's air supply will start to run out, causing darkness to creep in from above and cloud your vision. Race against time in TIMED DIVE, dive deep in FREE DIVE mode or visit the AQUARIUM to view various sea creatures. Like every game in the Art Style series, AQUIA features elegant design, polished graphics and pick-up-and-play controls, creating an experience that focuses purely on fun and engaging game play.

WarioWare™: Snapped! (Nintendo, 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone – Comic Mischief, 500 Nintendo DSi Points): Wario™ returns with more manic action made especially for the Nintendo DSi system. WarioWare: Snapped! uses the built-in Nintendo DSi Camera to make players the star of the show by placing them right into fast-paced mini-games. Take part in wacky challenges simply by moving your face and body as you travel along four wild roller coasters, hosted by Wario and his pals. Beat the mini-games using motions ranging from large to small, or play with a friend for even more fun. Wario even has a few tricks up his sleeve.

Brain Age™ Express: Math (Nintendo, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone, 800 Nintendo DSi Points): In this math-focused edition of the popular Brain Age series, players can enjoy a mix of new and familiar exercises, including Change Maker, Triangle Math, Sum Totaled and Multi Tasker. A new Themes mode includes drawing, photography and voice acting challenges, letting you share your creativity with friends and family. And if you need a break from your routine, the always-enjoyable Virus Buster makes its return.

WiiWare

EQUILIBRIO (DK-GAMES, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone, 500 Wii Points): In EQUILIBRIO, you must finish a series of levels by moving a ball toward an exit. To move the ball, hold the Wii Remote™ controller horizontally and turn it to tilt the playfield. You can also play using the Wii Balance Board™ (sold separately with Wii Fit). The ball is fragile, so don't let it fall too far, and be sure to avoid deadly obstacles such as spikes and acid pools. The difficulty of the game adjusts according to your skill. Will you be tough enough to complete all 64 levels?

Virtual Console

Uncharted Waters: New Horizons (Super NES™, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone – Mild Cartoon Violence, Simulated Gambling, 800 Wii Points): Uncharted Waters: New Horizons is a game set in the Age of Discovery, the golden era of European global exploration during the early 16th century. There are six different characters to choose from, all with different backgrounds and different motivations. Once you've chosen a character to play, you're free to sail the world's oceans as you wish, visiting a variety of exotic ports and making thrilling new discoveries.

Remember that both Wii and Nintendo DSi feature parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit Wii.com or NintendoDSi.com.

Nothing good.

Wilsongt

We can always pull out the classic line that is generally used when NA gets screwed for releases.

"Well, there's always next week. There's probably so much excitement due to the DSi release that they're going to wait to surprise us with it when there is a lull."

:lol

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
No Majora's Mask?

JackBauer.jpg

"DAMN IT!"

Hobbun

Wilsongt said:
Counting today's release? 294. :lol :lol

Oh great, at the rate Nintendo releases VC games, it will be a month and a half until we see MM. If it is released as the 300th title.

Just put up a monthly thread as a trial. If it isn't adopted, fair enough, but I thought it was worth a punt. I'll maintain the OP over the next few weeks and see where we go.

Barrett2

So realistically, how long until we can start buying NES / GBA games off the DSi Virtual Console?

Whether I keep mine or not largely depends on this. While stuff like the DR. Mario game interests me, I really need full GBA / NES games to get excited about this.

Somnid

lawblob said:
So realistically, how long until we can start buying NES / GBA games off the DSi Virtual Console?

Whether I keep mine or not largely depends on this. While stuff like the DR. Mario game interests me, I really need full GBA / NES games to get excited about this.

Just NES and GBA or the VC in total? Gameboy Games I'd say at least 3 months out from now, but I'd expect to hear some stuff before the years end. NES games may not happen at all if the consoles are kept seperate and with the amount of work they'd need to do to link them it won't be anytime in the foreseeable future.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
shocked, shocked SHOCKED at no Majora's Mask.... I would almost have to believe that NOA is just trying to purposely go for unpredictable with this one.

That being said, a really solid SNES release on a console that is pretty seriously underrepresented on the VC (given that it was a launch system) that came from out of nowhere. My only annoyance is that Uncharted Waters would be a game you'd throw up with another solid SNES release or something. Nowhere near good enough to warrant its own week. Even though it is quite good.

Barrett2

Somnid said:
Just NES and GBA or the VC in total? Gameboy Games I'd say at least 3 months out from now, but I'd expect to hear some stuff before the years end. NES games may not happen at all if the consoles are kept seperate and with the amount of work they'd need to do to link them it won't be anytime in the foreseeable future.

By "Gameboy" do you mean original Gameboy or GBA? I guess I could live without VC cross-functionality, but I would hope we could download at least GBA games sometime soon.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Wilsongt said:
Nothing good.

Except Uncharted Waters is quite good, no one knows anything about the WiiWare game to know if it's good or not, and people generally seem happy with at least a few of the DSiWare offerings.

There's a difference between "I'm not picking anything up", "Only one VC game this week?", and "LOL THIS IS TEH GARBUG STUPID NINTENDON'T PWNT!"

Hobbun

lawblob said:
By "Gameboy" do you mean original Gameboy or GBA? I guess I could live without VC cross-functionality, but I would hope we could download at least GBA games sometime soon.

I haven't heard any rumors about NES or GBA games, only the possibility of original GB or GBC games. But that hasn't even been confirmed.

Uncharted Waters is a pretty good game. Hard as hell though, if I remember correctly. Or at least, I died pretty much constantly.

However, it's no Majora's Mask, so no matter what, this week was going to be a let down.

LM4sure

Banned
Somnid said:

Exactly. It's a system for the family. It belongs in the family room. You shouldn't have more than one.

Somnid said:
At one a week? 6 weeks.
What makes you so sure Nintendo will continue to release VC games every week? Oh shi--

Seriously, if you people want to play Majora's Mask go buy the cart or move to Europe.

Yaweee

Wilsongt said:
Nothing good.

Did you just say 'Nothing good' to an update that included NEW HORIZONS? It's one of the best games of the 16-bit era! Great exploration and sense of discovery, a fantastic soundtrack, and a good level of difficulty mixed with a crapload of replay value...

They also gave us the superior SNES version over the Genesis version.

Awesome week!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom