• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox 360 Madden '12 Online Franchise Thread: Dream Team Edition

DCX

DCX
Rorschach said:
Can't we sort out contracts later? Since drafts are all the same, the contracts should already be figured out for every league.
Fmt would have to edit every single player drafted...

Unless we "cut" them and sign them off free agent list which should automatically five them contract figures right? I'll try it I'm test league when I get home.

DCX

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
yeah, see how the cap plays out after the draft too, Derrik guy said you should increase the cap every year.

Rorschach

DCX said:
Fmt would have to edit every single player drafted...

Unless we "cut" them and sign them off free agent list which should automatically five them contract figures right? I'll try it I'm test league when I get home.

DCX
He'd just have to synch the rosters if the numbers are already in... right?

Striker

DCX said:

DCX
That might work. Let us know. :)

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
oh, auto assign contracts and then give everyone a chance to cut/restructure, etc.?

DCX

DCX
Rorschach said:
He'd just have to synch the rosters if the numbers are already in... right?
In test league I sync roster and everything and the rooks had a contract of zero years and no money.

I'll try the free agent trick and see if that works. If so then I guess we can just do our draft old school style.

I assume we would do free agency first. He needs to gives a perfidy of time to resign our own expiring contracts and then advance to release the other players not signed to free agency for bidding.

DCX

LukeSmith

DCX said:
In test league I sync roster and everything and the rooks had a contract of zero years and no money.

I'll try the free agent trick and see if that works. If so then I guess we can just do our draft old school style.

I assume we would do free agency first. He needs to gives a perfidy of time to resign our own expiring contracts and then advance to release the other players not signed to free agency for bidding.

DCX

Actually I think you'd do the draft first, and then the free agency period on the other side of it, based on the way I thought LM worked. At some point FMT will change the year over, which will increment contracts forward and then I believe he has another button which is "release players at 0 years left."

DCX

DCX
LukeSmith said:
Actually I think you'd do the draft first, and then the free agency period on the other side of it, based on the way I thought LM worked. At some point FMT will change the year over, which will increment contracts forward and then I believe he has another button which is "release players at 0 years left."
Sounds right.

DCX

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
LukeSmith said:
Incrementing the year is only tied to the draft via madden in that they happen in the same "week". We can advance the week into the offseason (incrementing the year in the process), do FA, and then later on do the rookie draft.

I'm converted tho, we should do our draft, assign all of those contract values, then do our FA draft. Guys are gonna screw themselves in FA and not be able to sign their rooks.

BigAT

Personally I'd rather do the draft before FA. Who I'm able to acquire in the draft is going to be fairly random. There are going to be guys that I have targeted that aren't around when it's my turn to pick. I have control over free agency, where I can always bid more for someone I need. When it comes to filling holes on my team, I definitely want the final step to be the one where I have control, so that I can be positive that needs for my team are adequately addressed.

LiveWire

FA happens before the draft in the NFL (except for this past year of course). I say let people go nuts. Teams having trouble signing rookies is nothing new. Some (Crabtree) don't even sign until halfway through the season. And there are some teams with few picks anyway (Rors), so what are they going to do?

Oh and are we using NFL draft picks for our 2012 preseason or is everyone starting fresh with 7 picks (notwithstanding DCX joke trades)?

BigAT

Free agency starts before the draft, but it doesn't end after three days like it does for us. Teams are able to easily fill holes through free agency if they strike out on a position in the draft, which would not be the case for us. Who cares what the real NFL does anyway, this is better for our league.

Difficulty signing rookies is a thing of the past with the new CBA. You won't be seeing rookies holding out anymore like they used to.

GCQuinton

Vote for FA before the draft. That's pretty much how it's always been.

To add to what Rors said, why couldn't we just re-sign our contract year players now (I did that as soon as my season finished a few days ago) and have a main FA bid period for the people we cut loose before the draft?

Rorschach

BigAT said:
Free agency starts before the draft, but it doesn't end after three days like it does for us. Teams are able to easily fill holes through free agency if they strike out on a position in the draft, which would not be the case for us. Who cares what the real NFL does anyway, this is better for our league.

Difficulty signing rookies is a thing of the past with the new CBA. You won't be seeing rookies holding out anymore like they used to.
FA didn't end for us. You can still sign FAs right now! The bidding wars are what ended.

BigAT

Rorschach said:
FA didn't end for us. You can still sign FAs right now! The bidding wars are what ended.
Obviously it's not over in that it's prohibited and closed, but every free agent of note is gone.

Rorschach

BigAT said:
Obviously it's not over in that it's prohibited and closed, but every free agent of note is gone.
Which is pretty much what happens in the NFL. After a certain date, the big names all make up their mind and all you have left are stragglers that wait by the phone hoping for someone to get hurt.

There are still a few big names out there... like mcribb!

Striker

TheCrow said:
Looks like there is going to be a update tonight about the draft console.

http://myleaguemanager.net/forum/index.cfm?id=1&boardid=1&threadid=2470
Bout time.

In relation to FA and draft timing, I would opt the draft first. Reason being you need seven, or however many draft choices your team has, open because once they're draft and signed they'll take up a roster spot. Usually when signing FA's, it's to fill up the remaining starting spots or fill up the depth chart or a few holes. Plus it would aid some players/teams who may end up trading picks on that same day. There may be some draft day trades, and those spots are crucial if there's so little openings.

Short story: if EA gave us an extended roster to use prior to the season and as long as we cut down to the regular roster count before Week 1, it would be fine. But we don't, so it's a hassle.

BigAT

Someone mentioned this a real long time ago, but what are we going to do about the players that EA auto-cuts? Do their contracts get erased on LM when it happens?

daw840

Striker said:
Bout time.

In relation to FA and draft timing, I would opt the draft first. Reason being you need seven, or however many draft choices your team has, open because once they're draft and signed they'll take up a roster spot. Usually when signing FA's, it's to fill up the remaining starting spots or fill up the depth chart or a few holes. Plus it would aid some players/teams who may end up trading picks on that same day. There may be some draft day trades, and those spots are crucial if there's so little openings.

Short story: if EA gave us an extended roster to use prior to the season and as long as we cut down to the regular roster count before Week 1, it would be fine. But we don't, so it's a hassle.

Can't you have like 77 players on your roster at any time now?

Rorschach

Striker said:
Bout time.

You're not gonna sign all 8 rookies are you? 7th rounders are usually slim pickings. And if you are, then drop some baggage. You have to drop it anyway. Just get what your most pressing need from FA and fill your voids with the draft. If you need to fill a hole, take the leftovers from FA.

I can't imagine picking up 16 new players or something ridiculous like that.

BigAT said:
Someone mentioned this a real long time ago, but what are we going to do about the players that EA auto-cuts? Do their contracts get erased on LM when it happens?
This is the real problem. Plus, it might drop people you want too.

LiveWire

As long as we have a clearly defined and announced-in-advance period to re-sign players before they are released to FA, I'm good with whatever. I pretty much signed the talent I want to keep with maybe one or two exceptions (one being not knowing if Fletcher will retire for example). I'll be doing most of this stuff from the road anyway as I'm out of town for 10 days starting this Friday.

Striker

I already signed my players I wanted. The remaining pool are getting let go in FA.

I s'pose if we do FA first I'll just sign a select few and leave 7-8 spots open for my draftees.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
BigAT said:
If everyone drops the guys they don't want to re-sign before the draft, that shouldn't be a problem.

Question: When we turn to the off-season, does LM automatically drop those guys?

bluemax

Banned
Wellington said:
If everyone drops the guys they don't want to re-sign before the draft, that shouldn't be a problem.

Question: When we turn to the off-season, does LM automatically drop those guys?

I don't think it does.

BigAT

Wellington said:

I believe the way it works is there a button you hit to advance the year, then a separate button you hit to signal the free agent signing window is closed. All guys with 0 years left (which would be guys that currently have 1 year) get automatically dropped.

33vf4na.jpg

there's your avatar for the next month livewire!

bluemax

Banned
BigAT said:
I believe the way it works is there a button you hit to advance the year, then a separate button you hit to signal the free agent signing window is closed. All guys with 0 years left (which would be guys that currently have 1 year) get automatically dropped.

There are a couple of buttons that become available on the Admin window once you enter the off season:

Assign Contracts to Rookies:
*Assign NFL style contracts
*Assign Cap Point/Overall position weighted contracts to rookies

Set the League Wide Salary Cap (it is recommended this is updated):
*Enter value:

Advance Year or Revert Year:
note: This is used for advancing contracts to contract re-signing.
*Advance
*Revert

Release Un-Signed Players:
note: Use this step after advancing the contract years for players that were not resigned. After advancing contract years, this function will automatically drop all of those un-signed players to free agency to make the eligible for bidding.
*Release unsigned players to free agency

And there there's all the options for FA such as turning on/off bidding, retracting bids, anonymous bids etc.

So in my mind you would do things in the following order:
1. Super Bowl
2. Increase salary cap
3. Advance existing contracts
4. Dump unsigned players into FA.
5. Open FA bidding.
6. Have draft
7. Assign rookie contracts
8. Close FA bidding.
9. Start next season

LukeSmith

bluemax said:
There are a couple of buttons that become available on the Admin window once you enter the off season:

Assign Contracts to Rookies:
*Assign NFL style contracts
*Assign Cap Point/Overall position weighted contracts to rookies

Set the League Wide Salary Cap (it is recommended this is updated):
*Enter value:

Advance Year or Revert Year:
note: This is used for advancing contracts to contract re-signing.
*Advance
*Revert

Release Un-Signed Players:
note: Use this step after advancing the contract years for players that were not resigned. After advancing contract years, this function will automatically drop all of those un-signed players to free agency to make the eligible for bidding.
*Release unsigned players to free agency

And there there's all the options for FA such as turning on/off bidding, retracting bids, anonymous bids etc.

So in my mind you would do things in the following order:
1. Super Bowl
2. Increase salary cap
3. Advance existing contracts
4. Dump unsigned players into FA.
5. Open FA bidding.
6. Have draft
7. Assign rookie contracts
8. Close FA bidding.
9. Start next season

Couple of notes:
1. Player progression should happen before we have to resign guys, guys are going to go up (and become more expensive) and vice versa - i don't know how/where player progression in the League Manager Timeline tho.
2. Guys who haven't been signed or released are going to be traded pre-draft, too. I adjusted bluemax's order based on my notes as an alternative suggestion:

LM Timeline
  1. Super Bowl
  2. Increase Salary Cap
  3. Advance Contracts
  4. Resign/Cut Players
  5. Open FA Bidding
  6. Draft
  7. Assign Contracts
  8. Close FA bidding
  9. Start New Season

bluemax

Banned
Player progression happens immediately after the Super Bowl on the EA site. You advance the week and players ratings progress. There doesn't seem to be any sort of notification or tracking of this, but that's when it occurs.

Rorschach

Why are you guys closing FA bidding after the draft? Close bidding before the draft so we know what we have/need. FAs will still be available, but the big names will have gone where they need to go. If someone wants to dump another FA after getting a rookie (like drafting a badass qb/hb/whatever and dumping their overpaid guy), then they can do so any time.

GCQuinton

Rorschach said:
Why are you guys closing FA bidding after the draft? Close bidding before the draft so we know what we have/need. FAs will still be available, but the big names will have gone where they need to go. If someone wants to dump another FA after getting a rookie (like drafting a badass qb/hb/whatever and dumping their overpaid guy), then they can do so any time.

^This.

DCX

DCX
Rorschach said:

LM Timeline

1 Super Bowl
2 Increase Salary Cap
3 Advance Contracts
4 Resign/Cut Players
5 Open FA Bidding
6 Close FA bidding
7 Draft
8 Assign Contracts

Start New Season

DCX

LukeSmith

Rorschach said:

Yeah, I'm converted to Team Rors

bluemax

Banned
Rorschach said:

I guess I just assumed it would be like real life, but I see where you're coming from what you're saying.

It's not a big deal, although I think my FA spending might differ based on draft outcome. I guess this just has the reverse effect where my drafting is based on FA pickups.

The other thing was I didn't want people to spend their way into corners with FA and then not sign their rookies.

DCX

DCX
a risk they will have to take...

with that said i tested the rookie cut and sign theory. It worked.

Cody Hoppes (TE)
FREE_AGENT
Height: 6’5” Weight: 250 lbs
84 Overall
A Potential

Make an Offer (Free Cap Space: 16,673,917)
Select an offer:
$3,400,000 ($450,000 Bonus) x 1 year
$3,200,000 ($350,000 Bonus) x 2 years
$3,300,000 ($200,000 Bonus) x 5 years

There are the EA/LM projected numbers for TE Cody Hoppes. Idk if its based on where drafted or ratings or anything else.

DCX

Rorschach

bluemax said:
The other thing was I didn't want people to spend their way into corners with FA and then not sign their rookies.
Let those wonderful GMs deal with the consequences. All this means is that more good FAs will be available post draft because idjits will drop their best corner to sign some 65 rated HB.

DCX

DCX
Rorschach said:
Let those wonderful GMs deal with the consequences. All this means is that more good FAs will be available post draft because idjits will drop their best corner to sign some 65 rated HB.
i hope people have the cap room to sign their rooks. First rounders are expensive :/ Sorry Striker, but number 1/2 and 10 is going to cost you alot :(

DCX

Ferny

Rorschach said:
Yeah I agree with this.

Striker

DCX said:
i hope people have the cap room to sign their rooks. First rounders are expensive :/ Sorry Striker, but number 1/2 and 10 is going to cost you alot :(

DCX
I has cap room.

Also plan on cutting a declining RT who is up to $5M for Season 2. He was benched Week 17 and I didn't miss a beat. He's gone.

DCX

DCX
Striker said:
I has cap room.

Also plan on cutting a declining RT who is up to $5M for Season 2. He was benched Week 17 and I didn't miss a beat. He's gone.
a man with a plan :)

DCX

Top Bottom