• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox 360 Madden '12 Online Franchise Thread: Dream Team Edition

eznark

Banned
No, the surprise onside kick is not a fucking exploit. It works maybe 1 out of 10 times. It's a big risk.

What do you want me to do in that situation? Call a timeout? I called a punt return assuming you'd follow a spelled out rule. You came out to go for it. I shouldn't be penalized a timeout because of you not following the rules. There is NO RULE stating not to use the onside kick, there is a very SPECIFIC rule about 4th downs.

How about the 5 wide you ran 75% of the time. The rules specifically say not to do that too. You don't seem to care.

First, I thought the squib bullshit was banned immediately. I distinctly remember people saying it would be banned before the game even came out. If it's not, it certainly should be. I can't fathom why it isn't done every time. In my experience it's at least 25%, which is better than my success on defense, so it would make sense for me to do it every single time.

I figured it would be more sportsmanly of me to go for it on 4th and 1. At least that gives you a chance. There is noting the opponent can do against the squib kick.

There is no rule against using 5 wide. I've been doing it all year and heard exactly zero complaints. Not a single one. DCX bitched about no huddle and I have not done it since except under 2 minutes. Why would there be a rule against five wide?? May as well start outlawing playbooks while we are at it.

That said, if you honestly think that onside kick was legitimate then I apologize for going for it as I did think it was against the rules.

gg levious. not sure wtf was going on with my defense but my guys were going fucking haywire on a lot of the plays. dez bryant would be open by like 10 yards in man or zone coverage. then on that last play. i had a deep zone called and for some reason all of my guys were covering as if it were man.

blew my opportunity for a bye.... and i didn't even have any turnovers!

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
damn, good game fmt. Felt scared running the ball. Kept messing up coverage on defense.

yeah, that last play, all game I kept trying to get over top of your coverage, after two user picks I finally did it when it mattered most.

Mrbob

gg levious. not sure wtf was going on with my defense but my guys were going fucking haywire on a lot of the plays. dez bryant would be open by like 10 yards in man or zone coverage. then on that last play. i had a deep zone called and for some reason all of my guys were covering as if it were man.

Karma is a bitch!

I think I'm the 3 seed now. Gonna have a rematch with the Saints. Cutler getting ready to run!

daw840

First, I thought the squib bullshit was banned immediately. I distinctly remember people saying it would be banned before the game even came out. If it's not, it certainly should be. I can't fathom why it isn't done every time. In my experience it's at least 25%, which is better than my success on defense, so it would make sense for me to do it every single time.

I figured it would be more sportsmanly of me to go for it on 4th and 1. At least that gives you a chance. There is noting the opponent can do against the squib kick.

There is no rule against using 5 wide. I've been doing it all year and heard exactly zero complaints. Not a single one. DCX bitched about no huddle and I have not done it since except under 2 minutes. Why would there be a rule against five wide?? May as well start outlawing playbooks while we are at it.

That said, if you honestly think that onside kick was legitimate then I apologize for going for it as I did think it was against the rules.

The reason that you can't do it every time is that the game won't allow it. It's a 1 time per game use. I use it maybe once every 3 games. Generally when my defense can't seem to do shit against the opposing offense and I need a bit of a boost. As in this situation.

As for 5 wide, it's a rule to not use it all the time. Just a general guideline. I really don't care to much about that, but I know that in years past it has been an issue.

edit: It seems its not in there this year. No problem. I'm not worried about that really. The rules do however state that "d. NO GOING FOR IT ON 4TH DOWN OF A GAME THAT YOU ARE WINNING OR TIED AND YOU ARE IN YOUR OWN TERRITORY." In all caps, might I add.

DCX

DCX

I don't remember bitching, I recall saying that you did it a lot in our game in response to someone saying something about no huddle.

Carry on.

DCX

BigAT

439x.jpg

eznark

Banned
surprise onsides are limited by the game once per half I believe.

I could have swore we banned them before the first season.

My fault Daw. But, I don't apologize for going 5 wide 2/3rds. It hasn't been an issue and I've been doing it all year.

Try again tomorrow?

daw840

I could have swore we banned them before the first season.

My fault Daw. But, I don't apologize for going 5 wide 2/3rds. It hasn't been an issue and I've been doing it all year.

Try again tomorrow?

As well you shouldn't, that must have been an old rule I remembered from back in the old days.

Tomorrow around the same time works for me. Unless you want to go again right now.

i hate to ban surprise onside kicks but they are just so ridiculous in the game and possessions in our games are even MORE valuable since we don't get as many.

what does everyone else think of surprise onsides?

eznark

Banned
As well you shouldn't, that must have been an old rule I remembered from back in the old days.

Tomorrow around the same time works for me. Unless you want to go again right now.

Im gonna watch the championship game. Can you wait til 8ish tomorrow?

daw840

i hate to ban surprise onside kicks but they are just so ridiculous in the game and possessions in our games are even MORE valuable since we don't get as many.

Seems like they fuck you over more often than they don't, but can provide a needed boost if you're willing to take the risk. I would guess the success rate is <50%. Just FYI, it's almost 100% if you're controlling the middle dude in the first line of the receiving team.

Im gonna watch the championship game. Can you wait til 8ish tomorrow?

A little earlier than that would be better for me. Unless your talking EST. Then 8 is fine.

LukeSmith

Everyone that's ever been run against me has been recovered. I've never recovered one. But also, if I feel like there's any chance whatsoever of someone onside kicking against me, I come out in onside kick return.

I vote they stay in.

Nightz

I like to try it when I'm behind by a couple of TD's to maybe spark something. I've only had it work maybe once. I'd prefer keeping the option there.

eznark

Banned
Seems like they fuck you over more often than they don't, but can provide a needed boost if you're willing to take the risk. I would guess the success rate is <50%. Just FYI, it's almost 100% if you're controlling the middle dude in the first line of the receiving team.

A little earlier than that would be better for me. Unless your talking EST. Then 8 is fine.

Ya 8 est.

BigAT

I'm against them from a principle standpoint, but they seem to be pretty ineffective. I haven't messed around with them myself at all, but I think people that have tried them against me are 0 for 3. Small sample size obviously, but who knows.

Everyone that's ever been run against me has been recovered. I've never recovered one. But also, if I feel like there's any chance whatsoever of someone onside kicking against me, I come out in onside kick return.

I vote they stay in.

nope. getting in an onside kick return is even WORSE for the surprise onside kick. i played my gf's friends bf a week or so ago in like 5 games (dude was a super cheeser who i destroyed) and he ran the surprise onside in every game, and he got it every time. after he got me in the 1st game, i came out in onside kick formation defense in the 2nd game and he got the ball even easier

eznark

Banned
nope. getting in an onside kick return is even WORSE for the surprise onside kick. i played my gf's friends bf a week or so ago in like 5 games (dude was a super cheeser who i destroyed) and he ran the surprise onside in every game, and he got it every time. after he got me in the 1st game, i came out in onside kick formation defense in the 2nd game and he got the ball even easier

Ya in my experience it doesn't matter. It's as random as te coin flip. Which to me seems to not really have a place in league play.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.

yeah, you just aim to the right of the onside formation and the kicker can dive for it himself.

Playing the middle up man gives you a pretty good shot at recovery.

Sanjuro

Use Sablestats?

With Sanjuro winning there is currently a 4 way tie for the #2 overall pick in the draft, and it could jump to 5 if the Ravens lose.

Just noticed that before the game. I wasn't going to make it that simple for you guys. I was thinking about drafting a QB, in the end I probably will just get whatever is best at that point. My second round SS is a beast from last season.

Prob not the best timing but Ez, don't take offense to anything crazy I may say this week. I'll be firmly tongue in cheek as I try and bait Legendary, weinke, and WinoMcCougarStein.

Weinke prolly won't bite. He's pretty level headed... I'm looking forward to the Wellie v TL troll fight though lol

eznark

Banned
I knew better. Alot of idiots and troll bait to be had in Lions-gaf. It is like the perfect sample size for you to make fun of. Not to mention most of them started watching football in week 15

I'm actually mad at myself for engaging Heavy. He isn't funny, it's just sad and annoying.

Top Bottom