• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox 360 Worldwide Launch Thread

snatches

SuperPac said:
400,000 is still a lot of consoles, especially with the current economic climate, current generation not being dead, and lots of cool techno-gadgets vying for people's $$$. The system is a $300-400 investment on day one. 400,000 is a good number to start with.

Better to ship 400,000 and sell out of them than a million and only sell half.

If this is enough to satisfy demand then why is it that EB and others are calling people who preordered it two months ago and telling them they won't have one for launch? These people will now be in line at BB and Walmart with the other last minute opportunists. 400k exceeds launch day demand, guaranteed. Whether some out of the way points might have a couple kicking around is anyone's guess, but not the safest bet. Oh, and that release list looks shit to me. We are getting 360's in on Monday, not the 22nd. And some of those dates are wrong.

Mrbob

snatches said:
If this is enough to satisfy demand then why is it that EB and others are calling people who preordered it two months ago and telling them they won't have one for launch? These people will now be in line at BB and Walmart with the other last minute opportunists. 400k exceeds launch day demand, guaranteed. Whether some out of the way points might have a couple kicking around is anyone's guess, but not the safest bet. Oh, and that release list looks shit to me. We are getting 360's in on Monday, not the 22nd. And some of those dates are wrong.

Yeah but EB is going to sell out regardless of launch shipments. I remember when EB and Gamestop kept on trying to push PSP preorders because they will be sold out for the first few shipments even though Sony planned on shipping one million at launch. And they were at those gamestores. I walked into Walmart at 12:15am and left at 12:20 am with my PSP. They had 60 of them and sold 4 before I was at the store. Game stores always push the sold out angle because they oversell availablility as a scare tactic to try and get more preorder sales.

SuperPac

snatches said:
If this is enough to satisfy demand then why is it that EB and others are calling people who preordered it two months ago and telling them they won't have one for launch?

I'm sure their launch quantities got slashed just as other stores' have. But ya know... EB and Gamestop are not "new" at this system launch thing. They could and should have foreseen at least some of this. So I find it extremely hard to believe that they're completely innocent. Microsoft didn't tell them to start preorder campaigns, they did that to themselves. So should they not be affected when MS cuts launch quantities across the board just because they've taken people's reserve $$$?

These people will now be in line at BB and Walmart with the other last minute opportunists. 400k exceeds launch day demand, guaranteed. Whether some out of the way points might have a couple kicking around is anyone's guess, but not the safest bet.

Well let's see what happens on the 22nd. Again, $400 is a lot of money to spend in one go and that's a minimum. Most will drop $500-700. My guess is still that if you want one on the morning of the 22nd, you're gonna find one whether it's at Gamestop / EB or somewhere else.

snatches

Both of your points are true. But admit this at least. 400K is not enough to satisfy market demand. Stores in major centers could easily sell 10 times their allocation during launch week, especially on black Friday (25th)

hgplayer1

ok so let me get this straight......

theres gonna be a shortage for launch and dont expect new shipments on the week after launch to be anything significant?

will there be shipments every week after that or will the launches in other regions take priority over replenishing stores in NA?

this is the kind of hassle in the video game industry that is gonna make me quit gaming. seriously if the shortage for 360 is so bad I wont be able to get one into next year, I may just use the money to get a new car and never look back. Ive always been an early adopter but I think its BS that console makers cant accurately guage the demand for a new console at launch and come up short.

snatches

They are not committing to anything after launch, and have not revealed any post launch quantity allocations to anyone as of yet. With the close proximity of the EU and JP launches, I can't see them delivering big quantities weekly as they originally claimed. I think they would have had more product on launch day, but chip yields did not meet targets, or so they say. Definitely not just marketing damage control. MS wants to build a big lead over Sony before PS3 launches and they know how critical the holiday season is. Essentially, if they could have more stock available, I believe they would.

SuperPac

snatches said:
Both of your points are true. But admit this at least. 400K is not enough to satisfy market demand. Stores in major centers could easily sell 10 times their allocation during launch week, especially on black Friday (25th)

Oh I definitely admit that. If they had more, they could sell more. But I think the initial quantity is enough to the point where if you want one and you have a plan of attack for what retailers you're going to the morning of the 22nd, you're not going to walk away empty-handed. However, shortage talk is a self-fulfilling prophecy; if people think there is going to be a shortage, they will be much more likely to be one of the bloodthirsty horde that lines up at 5 a.m.

Or it could also backfire and people who would've gotten one launch morning will say "F it" if they think it'll be too difficult to get one (or if the launch game they were waiting for was delayed anyway...Oblivion).

SuperPac

BTW, Quake 4 and Madden NFL 2006 just popped up on HiroProtagonist's Gamercard. So you can take a look at those achievements...

LOL @ Madden 2006's "Score a touchdown" achievement.

newsguy

This shortage thing is out of hand. I went to EB today and the store manager told a guy who had $50 down on his 360 that he had to pay it off PLUS pay off a game and accessory if he wanted to be guaranteed one at launch. He specifically mentioned a shortage and told him "it's no longer how long ago you pre-ordered but whether or not you've paid it off and bought a game and accessory." I call bull shit on all of this, these fuckers are going to call the guy who pre-ordered his 360 8 months ago and tell him he's not getting one on day 1 cause he didn't pay in full?

SuperPac said:
BTW, Quake 4 and Madden NFL 2006 just popped up on HiroProtagonist's Gamercard. So you can take a look at those achievements...

LOL @ Madden 2006's "Score a touchdown" achievement.

He played GUN too since your post. :)

Mrbob

Those of you who preordered from EB, may want to get it paid off in full before 11/21. I read this on the IGN Boards. Mentions this is from a EB conference call:

EBs in my district will be following the same guidelines for the 360. We reserved 86 and are only getting 19, 18 premium and 1 core. If you are lucky enough to be in the top 18 you must have the system entirely paid off before we close on 11/21. If you do not you will be moved to the bottom of the list. For everyone who isn't getting a launch 360 they will be getting a "360 Gift Card" to give at Christmas with the message "Your 360 is coming" It sucks balls for 75% of the people of which I am one. 'Tis the season for EB workers to get bashed by customers.

Mrbob said:
Those of you who preordered from EB, may want to get it paid off in full before 11/21. I read this on the IGN Boards. Mentions this is from a EB conference call:

At least they are asking it to be paid off before the 22nd (day of launch), considering they are almost all having midnight launches. Some stores wanted all monies in had up to 2 weeks out.

marsomega

Not sure where this should go but anyway...

My Circuit City is supposedly getting a lot of them and so far no mentions of bundles. Just a heads up.

hgplayer1

can I make a suggestion for people that post and say something to the effect of "MY EB/CC/BB/etc. is getting this or that or saying this or that" ..........please state where you live......at least the state for crying out loud.

newsguy

hgplayer1 said:
can I make a suggestion for people that post and say something to the effect of "MY EB/CC/BB/etc. is getting this or that or saying this or that" ..........please state where you live......at least the state for crying out loud.

Mine is in FL but it's going to be a nationwide shortage. You'll see more and more of these "pay in full now" stories everyday.

Joe

has there been any mention of a wireless 360 headset by MS or any third party? i despise wires, especially the wire for the xbl headset.

marsomega

hgplayer1 said:

Check my profile...

(miami, florida)

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
marsomega said:
Check my profile...

(miami, florida)
Which Circuit City is that in, the one near Dadeland?

If you're curious the Best Buy in Dadeland Station started pre-orders on Monday for the 360. If you wish to pick it up that would be a good bet but they're only taking in 50. I hear that's all they're going to get. The local GameStop's and EB's near Dadeland and the Falls are getting HEAVILY screwed with preorders, all the employees look really grim when they told me that a huge amount of people who reserved are going to be very angry.

I'm number 5 at Best Buy luckily.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
newsguy said:
Hey, are there any 360 kiosks where you are? I'm in North Miami and we STILL don't have any.
WTF you're in Miami too? More GAF members then I thought, ha ha.

Anyways I haven't been able to locate an Xbox 360 kiosk in ALL of Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. I know of an EB in Ft. Lauderdale that has received their demo unit but they haven't set it up at all or I don't think they can yet.

If any of you find one please send me a PM, I would love to check the system out.

Pachinko

Grabbed this at rogers video today while renting the somewhat assy soul calibur 3-
treesiddylaunch.png

It's obviously not 100% accurate becuase there is no mention of GUN on that list and I'm pretty sure it was a day one game but it's new enough to ignore oblivion and the games that are there seems basically confirmed for launch. Also of interest to any canadians planning to rent the system.

I couldn't get exact info on price though, apparently it maybe a 5 day system rental instead of 7 days and they figured it should have the same rental fee but they weren't sure on the deposit. My guess is that the deposit will be 500 bucks. Remember though they usually don't rent controllers with these things and if they do it's like 2 or 3 per store so consider this a way to check it out for yourself but don't expect multiplayer fun.

There is a video of Condemned at IGN called "Freaky Sequence" that, quite simply, scared the shit out of me, and naturally egged me toward getting this at launch. Of course after watching it, I don't suggest anyone ruin it for themselves...

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
brandonh83 said:
There is a video of Condemned at IGN called "Freaky Sequence" that, quite simply, scared the shit out of me, and naturally egged me toward getting this at launch. Of course after watching it, I don't suggest anyone ruin it for themselves...

This game may be my most anticipated game of launch.

DenogginizerOS

There were rumblings of Perfect Dark Zero and Kameo already in the backrooms of EB's in the states. Anyone have proof of this?

Helznicht

There were rumblings of Perfect Dark Zero and Kameo already in the backrooms of EB's in the states. Anyone have proof of this?

Backrooms, try sitting right on the front counter. Saw em at my EB.

Lo-Volt

Helznicht said:
Backrooms, try sitting right on the front counter. Saw em at my EB.

Meaning you could buy them now or is that just another display case? If the former, was it at the feared $59.99 price?

rastex

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
These are just cases, I'd be willing to be a lot. There has been no gold announcement on either of those.

Not every game/company has a gold announcement, you realize that right?

DenogginizerOS

rastex said:
Not every game/company has a gold announcement, you realize that right?

I do. But I find it hard to believe that EB would have these on the counter. I am sure people who have it reserved will get calls soon if these rumors are true.

Helznicht

These are just cases, I'd be willing to be a lot.

No, they were real. Look earlier in this post for my input.

Ya know, EB STILL has Kameo shipping on the 7th, thats Monday! They would have had to have gotten them Friday afternoon to be able to ship Monday.

Lo-Volt

Helznicht said:
Yes, wrapped and stickered. Box seemed wieghty enough to be loaded, but I didnt shake like a little kid at xmas to be sure. :lol . Plus they told me they were real. :lol

Stickered at what price?

hgplayer1

called my Best Buy here in central TX and they are still telling me they arent doing preorders. to me thats good news since Im off work that whole week I think I have a better chance of getting one if its a matter of being in line early.

Mofo

Helznicht said:
No, they were real. Look earlier in this post for my input.

Ya know, EB STILL has Kameo shipping on the 7th, thats Monday! They would have had to have gotten them Friday afternoon to be able to ship Monday.

Impossible. Sorry. There are no production copies of Perfect Dark avalible yet. Soon, but not yet. Maybe that EB was just having fun. Don't know about Kameo though, but Perfect Dark has not hit retail yet.

Top Bottom