• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox 360 Worldwide Launch Thread

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Mofo said:
Impossible. Sorry. There are no production copies of Perfect Dark avalible yet. Soon, but not yet. Maybe that EB was just having fun. Don't know about Kameo though, but Perfect Dark has not hit retail yet.

I don't know what to believe. I'll believe PDZ is ready when I have it in my hands.

neptunes

fcl7yr.jpg

fcl854.jpg

Got some good news guys. Best Buy is having select locations do the midnight launches. As of right now, these stores are doing the midnight deal. Good luck on getting your 360 fellas. :)

Store #

104 - Hawthorne, CA- My girlfriend and I will be here. :)
120 - Santa Rosa, CA
146 - Sterling, VA
164 - Lone Tree, CO
202 - Plano, TX
281 - Richfield, MN
291 - Houston, TX
311 - Burbank, IL
498 - Bellevue, WA
516 - Alpharetta, GA
557 - Dadeland, FL
1028 - Manhattan, NY

Fifty

"must be 13+ to attend" :lol SHIT!

Anyway, that's a different one. That's the first I've read about the Guvernment party, it sounds cool though. I'll just be checking out whatever's on queen west.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Shawnwhann said:
Got some good news guys. Best Buy is having select locations do the midnight launches. As of right now, these stores are doing the midnight deal. Good luck on getting your 360 fellas. :)

Store #
557 - Dadeland, FL
Dadeland FL (Store 557)
8450 S Dixie Hwy
Dadeland Station
Miami, FL 33143
Phone: 305-662-7073

You guys better get there soon if they're out of preorders.

Just got off the phone with a friend who wanted to give me a heads up on the supply situation for EB. Basically, he got a call from his local EB in Newark, CA telling him that they'd "received an official message from corporate" stating that EBs are opening at midnight for a company-wide launch event, and if you're not there, in line, before it ends, your 360 goes to someone else -- even if you have a deposit on one. Talk about screwed up.

I have my system pre-paid at my local GameCrazy, where, unlike EB and GameStop, they won't actually know how many systems they're getting until they actually get them. According to the clerks, I'm one of only three people who have paid in full so far at their store.

Edit: My friend who spoke with his EB passed along word that the clerk there was just speculating that only those who have paid in full for the system will be able to get one, since their allotment is so small.

What's the point of pre-ordering with a $50 deposit, or even paying in full before launch, if you can't walk in during normal hours on 11/22 and pick up your system? Very sketchy tactics all around.

atomsk

Party Pooper
well, i just called my local gamestop. they have no idea who is where on the lists because they've been "sent to the office"

"we'll give you a call if you're going to be able to pick it up on launch day"

yeah, you fuckers. considering i reserved mine on 5/14, and have it paid in full, some magazine racks will be getting pushed over if i'm not day 1

SuperPac

Now he's got a Perfect Dark icon on his Gamercard. Wonder how much longer it'll be before we see him played PDZ.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
atomsk said:
well, i just called my local gamestop. they have no idea who is where on the lists because they've been "sent to the office"

"we'll give you a call if you're going to be able to pick it up on launch day"

yeah, you fuckers. considering i reserved mine on 5/14, and have it paid in full, some magazine racks will be getting pushed over if i'm not day 1

THat's fucked up. I'm #2 at my store, most shit bought. I know the manager as well. I'm good. I hope that you are too

VALIS

Finally got a chance to play at an EB kiosk today and gave Kameo and Call of Duty 2 a spin. Yeah, I agree with the general consensus, the controls in Kameo are just kind of clunky. Not very responsive. It just felt... flat, too. I don't think I even played for 5 minutes, though, so for whatever that's worth. CoD2, however, IS THE GODDAMN SHIT! Gorgeous graphics, the enemy AI seems decent and the atmosphere is extremely immersive with dust and bits and all sorts of debris swirling around in the air, people yelling, it's chaotic and damn fun. If I don't find a 360 on the 22nd I'm gonna have to kill someone. :(

Mofo

Helznicht said:
They had them, they were real. I will comment on this no more.

He has the latest build - it's playable online. I'm telling you Perfect Dark has not gone into production... yet

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Mofo said:
He has the latest build - it's playable online. I'm telling you Perfect Dark has not gone into production... yet
You know what's what I'm thinking, I saw the box of PDZ cases at an EB but I couldn't open them up the cases let alone take them out of the box. They also had an X360 but couldn't hook it up yet to the kiosk either. For a few days thought they had already shipped, I mean I did see them at the store but now I doubt it and thinking its just marketing materials and the manager is either a complete idiot or yanking my chain. Before you ask I've never seen a PGR3 box. My friend at Best Buy isn't working today so I wasn't able to confirm if any games have shipped to BB stores yet.

Sh0k

To anyone in Miami, FL ... I found a demo of the XBOX 360 at the Best Buy at Kendall Drive, it's not an official demo station, but they do have it hook up to a Samsung LCD display. They are not taking pre-orders or doing a midninght launch, they are opening at 6:00AM on the 22nd and it's first come first serve basis.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Sh0k said:
To anyone in Miami, FL ... I found a demo of the XBOX 360 at the Best Buy at Kendall Drive, it's not an official demo station, but they do have it hook up to a Samsung LCD display. They are not taking pre-orders or doing a midninght launch, they are opening at 6:00AM on the 22nd and it's first come first serve basis.
Thanks! I'll drive there tomorrow and check it out.

newsguy

Sh0k said:

NICE! I'm going by there tomorrow after the Fins game! Thanks for the heads up (damn, there's more Miami Gaffers than I ever thought).

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
It's kind of an eerie feeling to know what J. Allard is doing right this second.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
newsguy said:
NICE! I'm going by there tomorrow after the Fins game! Thanks for the heads up (damn, there's more Miami Gaffers than I ever thought).
Fuck it, I'll check it out now. I need to drive to Blockbuster anyways to pick up some research for a Pirate Level I'm doing.

I'm about 10 - 15 mins. away so I'll tell you if its there or not.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
An hour and a half later I just got back from Best Buy and Publix. The BB at Dadeland got their system in today (they plan on getting games sometime this week btw) and I got to play a good amount. Nice system but it needs better games to show off the capabilities. Hopefully MS puts in PDZ and PGR3 before launch or shortly after to sell the 360.

newsguy

Cool, so it seems like places down south are getting the demos. There's an EB by Aventura that has the actual kiosk but they don't have cables so they haven't built it yet. I'll swing by the BB on Kendall tomorrow just to play some COD2.

Mifune

Mehmber
So I walk into Best Buy, and lo and behold, there's the 360 setup. The quick rundown...

King Kong - I wasn't blown away at first by the Kong level, thought it looked like a slicker current gen game. Then the kid (who played this thing for like 20 minutes) switched to the run-away-from-T-Rex level, and oh man, the lighting and textures and just sheer clarity of the visuals just jumped off the screen. He's trying to run away as the beast's jaw clamps down on him. Awesome. This game looks fierce and intense and amazing. And pants-shittingly scary.

Call of Duty 2 - My god. It's so crisp and fast and responsive and earth-shatteringly intense. I was watching some guy play (after getting my ass handed to me within a minute) along with a small crowd, and we were literally reeling at some of the explosions and effects. The smoke, flying dirt, and shrapnel made this possibly the most immersive five minutes of video game I've ever seen.

Didn't get to check out Kameo.

Crowd response was OVERWHELMINGLY positive. My favorite quote was from a dude who walked up during King Kong, "That's a VIDEO GAME?????!!!!" There was some wincing when the price of the system was brought up; even the kid's CoD2-worshipping dad thought 400 clams was too steep. But overall we just sorta stood there, gawked slack-jawed, and laughed gleefully at the shiny new toy. WE WANTS IT.

The kicker is that these two games probably won't offer the best graphics at launch. But that's just it. It's not so much about the visual wow-factor as it is the whole package. You look at these screens and even watch the movies online, and you're not that impressed. But actually playing the games (or at least watching someone play right in front of you) lets you see that this level of immersion and atmosphere just wasn't possible before. And I feel like a blabbering idiot fanboy for saying this, but there's a gut-wrenching power hinted at in those demos that I've never experienced before in a game. I felt like I needed a stiff drink after walking out of the store. There's your next gen right there.

I'm sold like twenty times over on the 360. I haven't preordered, though, and I have like a thousand PS2 games to play, so as hard as it will be, I'm gonna wait a while. But when I take that plunge...oh boy.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I buckled and only played CoD2 yesterday. It's intense as fuck. I'm going to have a blast with that. I'll agree. I've downloaded just about every vid Blim has made. Yet and still, it's nothing like witnessing it with your own two eyes

Fifty

AniHawk said:
To save the game. Though I'm sure it might also taste good.

charlievga8yw.jpg

Duh

I've been taking my hard drive for granted. Of course someone who buys just the core would need a memory card.

Top Bottom