• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox 360 Worldwide Launch Thread

the wall street journal has a writeup on many 360 games today. basically, it says to skip perfect dark, call of duty 2 is amazing, kameo is good for teens and a favorite among those who tried, madden looks amazing, condemned looks creepy, king king works as a movie tie in, and need for speed most wanted is great if you like fast and the furious.

ill still get perfect dark..biggest complaint was that it didnt seem next gen enough. they rave about call of duty 2 though.

they have a 2 page writeup on next gen wars if anyone is interested.

(if this is in the wrong place, please move. i figured it was too general to be put in a specific thread.)

oh, and gamestops in my area have all cancelled their midnight openings due to the small number of consoles they are getting. one store has 200+ reserves and is only getting 50!

viper60782 said:
the wall street journal has a writeup on many 360 games today. basically, it says to skip perfect dark, call of duty 2 is amazing, kameo is good for teens and a favorite among those who tried, madden looks amazing, condemned looks creepy, king king works as a movie tie in, and need for speed most wanted is great if you like fast and the furious.

ill still get perfect dark..biggest complaint was that it didnt seem next gen enough. they rave about call of duty 2 though.

they have a 2 page writeup on next gen wars if anyone is interested.

(if this is in the wrong place, please move. i figured it was too general to be put in a specific thread.)

Thanks for the heads up. Here's a link if anyone else would like to read it:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB113167639164594448.html?mod=technology_main_promo_left

It's interesting to hear the views of the more "mainstream" or "casual" gamers. They echo my feeling of Call of Duty 2 from what I've played on the 360 demo:

WHAT WE LIKED: Combat scenes right out of Spielberg.

WHAT WE DIDN'T: That we didn't have time to play more of the game.

"I'd almost buy the console for this game," he says.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
apparantly GAME in the UK have started sending out letters confirming day one preorders, and letting you know you can come in and pick up your preorder bonus - some shitty tshirt and preview DVD in a tin.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
hm, looks like my preorder at a small independent store will ensure me a 360 on day one, but they expect me to buy four games with the system. :/

i wanted rr6, pd zero, and cod2 anyway...but i'm hard-pressed to think of a fourth game. king kong should be good, but i don't need three fps's. too bad doa4 got delayed. bleh.

SuperPac

viper60782 said:

I'll bet these impressions are based on that NYC/SF gamers day from a month or so ago when everyone was bagging on PDZ.

Lo-Volt

drohne said:
hm, looks like my preorder at a small independent store will ensure me a 360 on day one, but they expect me to buy four games with the system. :/

i wanted rr6, pd zero, and cod2 anyway...but i'm hard-pressed to think of a fourth game. king kong should be good, but i don't need three fps's. too bad doa4 got delayed. bleh.

Despite that feeling, how about Condemned?

ziran

so these are the official launch day games?
http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/xbox-360/the-official-360-launch-titles-136722.php
Amped 3
Activision Call of Duty 2
Sega Condemned
EA FIFA 2006: Road To The FIFA World
Activision Gun
Microsoft Kameo Elements of Power
Peter’s Jackson’s King Kong
Madden NFL 2006
NBA 2K6
NBA Live 2006
Need For Speed Most Wanted
Perfect Dark Zero
Perfect Dark Zero (Limited Edition)
Project Gotham Racing 3
Quake 4
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2006
Tony Hawk: American Wasteland
some good stuff there! :)

i'm looking forward to kameo, pgr3, pd0. kong, cod2 and gun interest me, but i don't want to rush through a game to get to another.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.

ziran

also kotaku say:
http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/xbox-360/best-buy-files-the-official-360-document-136728.php

kotaku said:
There’s been a lot of speculation on how the Xbox 360 launch is going to be handled by different stores, fortunately we no longer have to speculate. Best Buy is the official sales partner for Microsoft and some brave little mole out there just leaked me their 26 page launch guide.

I’ll be delivering details from it through-out the day.
Expect to see the full listing of stores that will be open until midnight, launch titles, sales estimates, total units shipped, deals and how the big day itself will be handled.

This is gonna be fun.

ziran said:
also kotaku say:
http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/xbox-360/best-buy-files-the-official-360-document-136728.php

kotaku said:
There’s been a lot of speculation on how the Xbox 360 launch is going to be handled by different stores, fortunately we no longer have to speculate. Best Buy is the official sales partner for Microsoft and some brave little mole out there just leaked me their 26 page launch guide.

I’ll be delivering details from it through-out the day.
Expect to see the full listing of stores that will be open until midnight, launch titles, sales estimates, total units shipped, deals and how the big day itself will be handled.

This is gonna be fun.

:O

Can't wait to see the info. This is gonna be fun, indeed! :)

SuperPac

SnowWolf said:
Official sales partner = mega # of systems?

I would think so. Best Buy has a lot to gain on this as well because they can use the 360 to get customers interested in big-ticket items like HDTVs and such. Best Buy is a consumer electronics powerhouse.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
SuperPac said:
I would think so. Best Buy has a lot to gain on this as well because they can use the 360 to get customers interested in big-ticket items like HDTVs and such. Best Buy is a consumer electronics powerhouse.
If Best Buy is the official sales partner, then those stores that claim they're getting upwards of 300 units might be telling the truth. There was that other source that claimed that Walmart was the other partner, which makes sense because they got the kiosks first. And though they're not getting as many units in-store as each Best Buy, that's because not only do they have MORE stores, but they also sold a lot online (as opposed to BB, who couldn't have had more than a couple hundred for the RZ pre-order deal - they went FAST).

They're starting to post the info. Only 12 Best Buys will have midnight launches:

Twelve stores have been selected for midnight openings for 12:01 a.m. on Nov. 22:

• Store #104 (Hawthorne, CA)
• Store #120 (Santa Rosa, CA)
• Store #146 (Sterling, VA)
• Store #164 (Lone Tree, CO)
• Store #202 (Plano, TX)
• Store #281 (Richfield, MN)
• Store #291 (Galleria, TX)
• Store #311 (Burbank, IL)
• Store #498 (Bellevue, WA)
• Store #516 (Alpharetta, GA)
• Store #557 (Miami, FL)
• Store #1028 (Midtown, NY)

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/xbox-360/only-12-best-buy-opening-at-midnight-for-360-136749.php

Best Buy expects $29 million on lauch day. Furthermore, they're expecting 43,000 360’s company wide which works out to about 60 per a store with the midnight opening stores getting an extra 100 each.

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/xbox-360/best-buy-expects-29-million-launch-day-136781.php

Argyle

vatstep said:
If Best Buy is the official sales partner, then those stores that claim they're getting upwards of 300 units might be telling the truth. There was that other source that claimed that Walmart was the other partner, which makes sense because they got the kiosks first. And though they're not getting as many units in-store as each Best Buy, that's because not only do they have MORE stores, but they also sold a lot online (as opposed to BB, who couldn't have had more than a couple hundred for the RZ pre-order deal - they went FAST).

Kotaku just posted that Best Buys will be getting 60 per store, with an additional 100 for the stores having midnight events.

Wonder what the mix of regular and tard packs is going to be?

3rdman

Argyle said:
Kotaku just posted that Best Buys will be getting 60 per store, with an additional 100 for the stores having midnight events.

Wonder what the mix of regular and tard packs is going to be?

OLD!... :p

heavy liquid said:
Best Buy expects $29 million on lauch day. Furthermore, they're expecting 43,000 360’s company wide which works out to about 60 per a store with the midnight opening stores getting an extra 100 each.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
so, uh, last night on comedy central i saw a nfs most wanted commercial. it was definitely 360 footage used throughout, but iirc, 360 wasnt listed at the end of it (strangely)

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Gamekult in France got their console :
ME0000628987_2.jpg

Hopefully I'll get the same package next week. Yeah right.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Blimblim said:
Gamekult in France got their console :
ME0000628987_2.jpg

Hopefully I'll get the same package next week. Yeah right.

cue the "look at the size of that brick!" remarks

hyp

what happened to optical audio out? supposedly the xbox support dolby digital, but how can an analog RCA (L+R) produce a digital signal? am i late to the party with this question?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
hyp said:
what happened to optical audio out? supposedly the xbox support dolby digital, but how can an analog RCA (L+R) produce a digital signal? am i late to the party with this question?
It's on the big plug on the other side of the video cable.

scarybore

Out of interest, does anyone know if the headset and its dongly type thingy are seperate from each other allowing me to use my Halo 2 headset or are they wired tgether?

Vieo

That box is pure sex!

Has anyone typed in "Xbox360" on eBay yet? The premium version already selling on there for $40 - $75 above retail price with no extras (this is excluding shipping fees!).

snatches

drohne said:

I agree with Lo-Volt personally but why don't you just pay for DOA4 in full? This should appease them.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Deathcraze said:
Out of interest, does anyone know if the headset and its dongly type thingy are seperate from each other allowing me to use my Halo 2 headset or are they wired tgether?

You can use your Halo headset, but at a fixed volume, since the Xbox puck has the volume control on it. Luckily, it's a decent volume. Just plugs into the bottom ridge of the controller. The 360 headset has its own volume/mute control IIRC.

Also, I walked past my powerbrick today, and it was silently teaching Monkey-Men how to make tools.

2001monkeys.jpg

IJoel

Deathcraze said:

I don't believe there's a 'dongle' for the headset. You can simply plug the headset directly into the controller.

Stinkles beat me.

*shakes fist*

Gc-Freak

Banned
Blimblim said:
I think it's a review console, not a retail one. I could be wrong.

Well as you I hope I will get mine next week. But I think its the normal retail premium package of the Xbox 360. There is the german USK logo on the pack and everything is in it like the retail version, so i think they forgot to put the remote on the picture. My french isn´t good so I can´t really read the article if there is any word about the remote.

scarybore

Thanks Stinkles and IJoel. Guess this means I can't use the mute function if I use the H2 headset which is a bit annoying. Either way, since im getting Premium, I'll be able to see how comfortable the 360 headset is. I hated the default Xbox one.

maybe the europe version of 360 does not get the remote?

Would piss a few people off if true since everywhere advertises it.

Beowolf

Banned
I am still on the fence. I don't see any 360 games that make me want to spend 400 bucks right now. Maybe after Ninja Gaiden, DOA4 and Halo 3. But right now 360 just isnt doing it for me.

Top Bottom