• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox 360 Worldwide Launch Thread

SkinSider

Banned
They can't download shit yet. IGN already bitched about Halo looking "meh" on 360, without reading the fact that the "upgrade" doesn't happen 'til you get the software from Live. Or asking anyone. Or checking facts. Ironically, they link directly TO that fact in their piece.

The 360 supports "basic" Halo and Halo 2 compatibility right out of the box.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
SkinSider said:
They can't download shit yet. IGN already bitched about Halo looking "meh" on 360, without reading the fact that the "upgrade" doesn't happen 'til you get the software from Live. Or asking anyone. Or checking facts. Ironically, they link directly TO that fact in their piece.

The 360 supports "basic" Halo and Halo 2 compatibility right out of the box.

as far as i'm aware, only the sound will get improved with the live download

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Zaxxon said:
all 4 feet touch and the 360 doesn't move at all. It's very secure.

Zaxxon,

What type of SDTV is in your pics with Halo on the screen? It looks a lot like my Sony. Does it have a 16:9 mode? If so, set your XBOX360 to widescreen (not letterbox) in the dashboard and set your 16:9 mode on your TV to Auto. You should get all games in a widescreen format.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I don't know if it was posted before, but people from Canada who want to try X360 can go into Futureshop stores. One where I live had one demo unit that I tried couple of hours ago.

I know that Walmarts in the US have had demo units for some time now, but I'm not sure if it's the same in Canada. Futureshop has it for sure though, and tonight the place wasn't very busy, there was basically no one in the game section except for one sales guy punching some numbers into computer right next to X360 demo unit.

I only tried Kameo for a few minutes, and thought the game looked very nice. More than anything I thought it was nice to see such advanced graphics and effects used on something colorful and fantasy-ish and not a PC FPS or some such realistic looking PC game. Very nice for a change! I liked the parallax mapping on the stone floor, and the gun/ship firing at me at the begining of the demo looked really great, and so did the red dragon in the small cinematic that followed (some cinematics were FMV but that one wasn't). Aliasing was minimal and I really noticed it only on some small spikes and some other small overlaping angular objects. Not a big deal at all I thought.

I was only slightly put off by the framerate which was 30, and which after getting used to 60 on games of this kind I used to play so far (R&C, J&D) seemed like it should have been smoother. Also, for whatever reason I'm pretty positive the game doesn't use anisotropic filtering at all, everything seemed like it was just bilinearly filtered to be honest - or trilinear at most, I didn't pay attention if there was a clear divider line between the blury textures behind and sharp ones in front.

Unfortunatelly, the demo unit froze when I tried to load the King Kong demo. I stand there looking at the black screen for about a minute, and then the sales guy turned around and asked me and asked if I'm looking for something in particular. I felt that was a sign to put the controller down, and to make it seem like I wasn't just wasting time there, I asked him if they received Guitar Hero before leaving (they still don't have it)

suck it down bitches

dsc003255cn.jpg

dsc003247wq.jpg

now only if i had the system. found this little number at wally world just now :D

edit** to all those inquiring about ripping to the harddrive. its a go go. manual talks about ripping cds

Tiktaalik

DenogginizerOS said:
Zaxxon,

What type of SDTV is in your pics with Halo on the screen? It looks a lot like my Sony. Does it have a 16:9 mode? If so, set your XBOX360 to widescreen (not letterbox) in the dashboard and set your 16:9 mode on your TV to Auto. You should get all games in a widescreen format.

It's a Toshiba 27AF45C. There is a 16:9 mode, but no auto, just a button that I can turn it on and off with. I played around with setting the Xbox to widescreen but It didn't make a difference. However, when I had the TV set to 16:9 then turned on the Xbox, which was already set to Widescreen mode, I think it was in widescreen mode. Am I right here?

I put in Halo, but I don't think it was in widescreen. Just compressed. Or did you mean that these instructions would work for all future Xbox 360 games?

Tiktaalik

truffleshuffle83 said:
suck it down bitches
now only if i had the system. found this little number at wally world just now :D

:(

I asked at EB and at Blockbuster if they were selling Xbox 360 games but they said nope.

You're lucky!

DenogginizerOS

Zaxxon said:
It's a Toshiba 27AF45C. There is a 16:9 mode, but no auto, just a button that I can turn it on and off with. I played around with setting the Xbox to widescreen but It didn't make a difference. However, when I had the TV set to 16:9 then turned on the Xbox, which was already set to Widescreen mode, I think it was in widescreen mode. Am I right here? Yes. Your dash is in widescreen (and looks better ,too. Right?)

I put in Halo, but I don't think it was in widescreen. Just compressed. Or did you mean that these instructions would work for all future Xbox 360 games?

Halo is not a widescreen game. Try another game. Turn on the 16:9 mode and put in a game like Ninja Gaiden or PGR2. They will then be in a non-compressed 16:9 mode if your XBOX is set to Widescreen. When I play Splinter Cell 3 on my XBOX in 16:9 mode, it looks damn near cloase to HDTV. Also, Rallisport Challenge 2 looks smokin'.

SuperPac

Hey I just walked across the street to Target and they also had PGRs. So I bought one. Guy told me they have some accessories in the back too, like the silver faceplate and such. He didn't know (or wouldn't tell me) how many systems they'll have in on the 22nd. Ah well, I'm goin' to Best Buy, unless that plan fails. Then Target gets more of my $$$.

[Edit: Removed because a Microsoft Representive asked me to.]

Hmph. Lucky people who have pictures of Xboxes on this thread.....

JUST signaling US out.

Bullshit.

SonnyBoy

I found out Im one of the 7 people who will be getting their preorded 360! Im almost afraid to have my g/f pick it up since I'll be at work.

Joe

i meant as of right now, not in general. i know xbox live 360 wont be up til tuesday but is it still possible to connect to xbl1 before tuesday?

Triumph

Banned
vatstep said:
That TV is just raping the beautiful X360 dashboard. That looks like ass.
Yah, that looks like my tv too. 27 inch Sony WEGA? If so I'm most definitely picking up an HD set and selling that damn old thing to my roomie.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Amped 3
10 gamer pictures (avatar) for 20 Mircosoft dollars. (MD)
1 theme 150 MD

Gun
Sketch Pack (art) 160 MD
4 gamer pictures for 20MD

iPod support

COD2

1 theme 150MD
Alied picture pack 40MD
Silouttes picture pack 80MD
8 avatars 20MD

Q4
1 theme 150MD
7 avatars 20MD

500MD = $7.75 (USD?)
1000MD= $15.50
2000MD= $31
5000MD= $77.50

hlazzo

I've got a question. I'm currently playing my 360 on a 6 yr old Samsung TV (TXF2899). It's an okay TV but only has composite/s-video inputs (no component). I hooked up the 360 through composite and Kameo looks abit blurry and washed out(obviously). Since I can't get a new TV for awhile I was wondering if I should pick up the s-video cable for the 360? Does anyone have any systems hooked up through s-video? Is there a noticeable difference in image quality when compared to composite?

SuperPac

hlazzo said:
I've got a question. I'm currently playing my 360 on a 6 yr old Samsung TV (TXF2899). It's an okay TV but only has composite/s-video inputs (no component). I hooked up the 360 through composite and Kameo looks abit blurry and washed out(obviously). Since I can't get a new TV for awhile I was wondering if I should pick up the s-video cable for the 360? Does anyone have any systems hooked up through s-video? Is there a noticeable difference in image quality when compared to composite?

Have you tried switching between composite and S-Video on any of your other consoles or a DVD player? If you notice a difference, then there ya go. S-Video is better than composite.

hgplayer1

hlazzo said:

if youre not planning on gettin a new tv for a while do yourself a favor and get Svideo cables.

Shogun

Questions Post

How much is the VGA cable and where is it sold?

I am getting the non-retard pack, does it come with a free month of Live Gold?

In getting the non-retard pack I get a headset, is it worth it to get the 69.99 combo deal for head set, 12 months live, game certificate, and Live arcade game / points or should I just get the 12 Month + 1 Month card at EBGames?

Thank you.

hlazzo

SuperPac said:
Have you tried switching between composite and S-Video on any of your other consoles or a DVD player? If you notice a difference, then there ya go. S-Video is better than composite.

I've tried it on my DVD player and noticed a difference(not a huge difference though). I'll probably pick up the s-video cables then. Does anyone know which Canadian stores are selling accessories early?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Shogun said:
How much is the VGA cable and where is it sold?

I am getting the non-retard pack, does it come with a free month of Live Gold?

In getting the non-retard pack I get a headset, is it worth it to get the 69.99 combo deal for head set, 12 months live, game certificate, and Live arcade game / points or should I just get the 12 Month + 1 Month card at EBGames?
VGA cable is $40, and should be available everywhere. Of course, it's not going to be in heavy production as it's not going to be very popular, so I wouldn't expect it to ever be in plentiful supply.

Both packages come with a free month of Gold.

The Value Pack is worth the extra cash since you get a $20 rebate for a game. That covers the difference right there. Plus, you get 200 points ($2.50 value), an Arcade game ($5-10 value), and a headset that you can always sell for profit if you already have one..they retail for $20.

Kon Tiki said:
Whoa, where do you get free points?

Yeah I still don't know where these points stuff is coming from.

Is it either

1) You buy points to purchase content on live dashboard.

2) You earn points through playing games and use them towards purchasing stuff on the Live dashboard.

Or 3) all of the above?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Points need to be purchased. You can get a 1600 point card for $20, or buy them directly online in increments of 500 (buying them online is a bit cheaper). You don't get points for playing games or anything like that. People are confusing the "gamerscore" for the transaction points. The gamerscore is basically just a high-score that is tallied through the achievements you earn in games; it has no redeemable value.

The only way to get "free" points right now is to buy one of the XBL Value Packs. It's conceivable that games could at some point come with some free points, like Xbox games that come with 2 free months of XBL, but who knows.

SuperPac

iceDragon7 said:

Yes, you purchase Marketplace points via the dashboard (charged to your credit card) or through point cards sold at retail ($19.99). You then use those credits to purchase items in the Marketplace area.

2) You earn points through playing games and use them towards purchasing stuff on the Live dashboard.

No. The points you earn playing games are reflected in your Gamerscore -- but that is used for bragging rights, etc. not for buying anything in the Marketplace.

Or 3) all of the above?

No. Marketplace points and Gamerscore are two entirely different things.

vatstep said:
Points need to be purchased. You can get a 1600 point card for $20, or buy them directly online in increments of 500 (buying them online is a bit cheaper). You don't get points for playing games or anything like that. People are confusing the "gamerscore" for the transaction points. The gamerscore is basically just a high-score that is tallied through the achievements you earn in games; it has no redeemable value.

The only way to get "free" points right now is to buy one of the XBL Value Packs. It's conceivable that games could at some point come with some free points, like Xbox games that come with 2 free months of XBL, but who knows.

Thanks for answering that for me. Now I won't be playing my ass off for points.

rastex

Banned
iceDragon7 said:
Yeah I still don't know where these points stuff is coming from.

Is it either

I can see a lot of confusion already coming about. Probably because of hte common word Points. There are actually TWO types of points. Gamepoints and Microsoft Points. They are completely separate systems and don't interact in anyway. GamePoints are gained by completing tasks inside of games and are ONLY used as a comparison against other gamers as to how good of a player you are. Microsoft Points are purchased either through the dashboard or through prepaid cards at retail and are used to purchase different items from the Marketplace.

I just talked to the owner of XE360, he wants to clarify the previous posts about the image I posted:

(Its a Sony Wega TV)

just for your information the screen I have with my TV shows 360 fine
its like sub-HDTV right now
sound is better than Xbox also

Seth C

rastex said:
I can see a lot of confusion already coming about. Probably because of hte common word Points. There are actually TWO types of points. Gamepoints and Microsoft Points. They are completely separate systems and don't interact in anyway. GamePoints are gained by completing tasks inside of games and are ONLY used as a comparison against other gamers as to how good of a player you are. Microsoft Points are purchased either through the dashboard or through prepaid cards at retail and are used to purchase different items from the Marketplace.

Actually, it's called your GamerScore.

Kon Tiki

Banned
vatstep said:
By Value you mean core or premium? I have premium and zero MD.

Congratulations to whoever ratted me out to Microsoft.

Now he's mad at me, because I tried to share the final pic of the E3 faceplate.

I'm puzzled, because everyone posted the god damn retail unit of the system....

Its not like, I posted the god fucking damn review unit of Xbox 360 before launch, like this guy did:

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=71329

So why is Microsoft singling US out, and not the rest of you?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Help me choose my third launch title.

Definites:
Perfect Dark Zero
Need for Speed Most Wanted

Undecided:
Call of Duty 2
Madden
King Kong

SuperPac said:
Hey I just walked across the street to Target and they also had PGRs. So I bought one. Guy told me they have some accessories in the back too, like the silver faceplate and such. He didn't know (or wouldn't tell me) how many systems they'll have in on the 22nd.
I was at Target last night, and while I was fooling with the 360 demo kiosk one of the employees was bitching to someone about how he has to wait in line with everyone else if he wants to buy a 360. So I asked him how many they were getting, and he said they already got their shipment and they only have 8 of 'em. 4 premium packs, and 4 of "the one no one wants". That cracked me up.

They actually had Kameo on sale. I was surprised. Figured a place like Target wouldn't be selling stuff pre-launch.

Helznicht

My Gamerush let me know yesterday that they are opening up at midnight Tuesday to sell the "10" systems they are getting. Make a note Gamerush Customers, might want to give the a call.

swordsman

Banned
ManaByte said:
Help me choose my third launch title.

Definites:
Perfect Dark Zero
Need for Speed Most Wanted

Undecided:
Call of Duty 2
Madden
King Kong
---
I will go for PDZ.
I will also get this one beside PGR3 to play online.

edit:
Well it is a tough choice:
Call of duty 2 or King kong.

Still no official thread for Gamecards???????????????????????/
Gamecard: swordsman720

DenogginizerOS

I am not going to worry about the HDTV issue. I have 5.1. I have a flat-screen that runs in 16:9. AND I can't afford an HDTV. I feel the games will look better than Xbox. The XBOX Live community will continue to thrive. And the desire to see games in Hig-Def will inspire me to save up for an HDTV.

Top Bottom