• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox 360 Worldwide Launch Thread

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Espio said:
360.jpg

No sleep for me this weekend.
What is that picture doing on the MiyamotoShrine website?

Yusaku

Some of the things that Joystiq is posting sounds a little disapointing. Downloading stuff from XBL sounds really slow. I could maybe understand that on tuesday when the servers are being flooded, but right now there's only a few thousand 360's out there. For $50 a year I'd be disapointed if I downloaded anything slower than 6 mbps, my maximum download speed.

The DVD player souds incomplete, and the interface doesn't really seemed to be designed for people with lots of content on their hard drives. I certainly hope MS puts out some updates for these issues.

Timan

Developer
krypt0nian said:
Anyone else notice that RARE thanked "The Stampede Team" in the credits for Kameo?

So would that be:

1) Killer Instinct
2) New Banjo game
3) Sabreman Stampede

?

dsc0017626rw.jpg

Yep,

Jerkface

Banned
Yusaku said:
Some of the things that Joystiq is posting sounds a little disapointing. Downloading stuff from XBL sounds really slow. I could maybe understand that on tuesday when the servers are being flooded, but right now there's only a few thousand 360's out there. For $50 a year I'd be disapointed if I downloaded anything slower than 6 mbps, my maximum download speed.

The DVD player souds incomplete, and the interface doesn't really seemed to be designed for people with lots of content on their hard drives. I certainly hope MS puts out some updates for these issues.

Who said that all the Marketplace content servers are even running at the moment?

SaitoH

I just wanted to say, I got to check out the 360 at a friends place a couple days ago and am blown away by how nice the hardware is. Gorgeous controller, and especially the interface ... Microsoft really thought of everything.

As soon as they release some software that appeals to me, I'm sold.

Kudos, Microsoft.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yusaku said:

maybe they are limiting each connection to a certain speed, and that's sustainable even after launch? Before launch is a short time compared to after, so no reason to have some complex scalable system just for those guys who'll get one early and start caning the downloads.

Gc-Freak

Banned
mrklaw said:
maybe they are limiting each connection to a certain speed, and that's sustainable even after launch? Before launch is a short time compared to after, so no reason to have some complex scalable system just for those guys who'll get one early and start caning the downloads.

Now im downloading the NBA Live demo arround 3 or 4 hours. It´s about 80% done.

SuperPac

mrklaw said:

<obvious> This is also the first time they've offered 500MB demo downloads over Live. </obvious>

pestul

It seems demos and movies will be free for silver users.. I really hope it stays that way. Question.. when did Need for Speed: Most Wanted take a turn for the better? I wasn't following it all for a few months then I check some of the reviews today.. damn. I was always pulling for Madden over NFS:MW as my free game with the Pepsi contest, but now I'm not so sure.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
If a demo is free, I don't care if I have to download it overnight. I'm sure most normal people feel the same way.

:lol

It's free, but damn, let me listen to some music or fool around with the system while it's downloading. I think it really sucks that it brings your system to a halt.

Mrbob

I saw the Harmony X360 DVD remote at Bestbuy last night. Looked hot. 130 bucks though! Has a 30 dollar rebate if you buy the remote with the system but that is still 100 bucks for a remote!

moowear

Has a 30 dollar rebate if you buy the remote with the system but that is still 100 bucks for a remote!

Do you know if the 360 and remote have to be on one receipt? Can you buy, say, your system at Costco and the remote at best buy and still qualify for the rebate?

Mrbob

moowear said:
Do you know if the 360 and remote have to be on one receipt? Can you buy, say, your system at Costco and the remote at best buy and still qualify for the rebate?

Not sure. Looked like it was a tear out rebate attached to the package. The only thing I noticed is it expires March 31, 2006. If I had to guess, you would think buying them both seperately before the expiration would be ok as long as you show them both receipts. Not positive though.

moowear

Not sure. Looked like it was a tear out rebate attached to the package. The only thing I noticed is it expires March 31, 2006. If I had to guess, you would think buying them both seperately before the expiration would be ok as long as you show them both receipts. Not positive though.

Cool, thanks. The remote looks mighty fine and would go well with my MCE setup but for $100 after rebate?! daaayuum. I already have the official MS MCE remote and will have the one that comes with the premium...hrmm...decisions decisions.

Jeff-DSA

I just wanted to pop in and say that Call of Duty 2 is insanely awesome. It looks freaking amazing on my HDTV.

Oh, and Geometry Wars is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! :D

mrklaw

MrArseFace
what resolution does the photo mode in PGR output? Does it do nice 2mp jpegs you can upload to your PC? Or just standard 720p stuff?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Finland GAFfers!

EB Games has a deal for trading in your Xbox with 10 games, you'll get the Xbox 360 value pack for 120e. Awesome.

I'll give them all the shitty licence games publishers have given me during the years. I knew THQ was good for something!

Chi-Town

I was at a Circuit City yesterday and was pleasantly suprised to see that they had popped in PGR3(I've played the heck out of the demo disc games already). Some tool had set the steering to the d-pad, a quick trip to the options and it was back where it should be, on the
analog stick. Oh god, it was sexy. I've always been an outside-the-car view guy but PGR's cockpit mode looks to convert me.

My first race, I finished out of my target position but my PGR skills came back to me pretty
quickly and I nailed it the next time. Finished the 2nd race and got a trophy and unlocked some races in Vegas. Also got enough credits to buy a new car. Went the garage and played some Geometry Wars Evolved. Bought a killer race car with an open cockpit and headed for Vegas. My first time, didn't do so well. 2nd time, switched to the cockpit view and I aced it.

I went to Toys R Us this morning and used a 20% off coupon and picked it up. Now the joy of camping out on a cold Chicago November evening.

Rhindle

I just got done setting up the Windows Media Center integration on my 360. I'll post some pics later today.

900 albums and HDTV recorder on demand in my living room baybeee!

Joe

ive had 360 setup on my system for an over now and i have kameo and pd0 but i havent even touched them yet. ive done nothing but mess around with the dashboard, talking to friends in chats while watching HD videos, playing songs off my computer, using the visualizer and ive yet to hit xbox live arcade. AWESOME stuff, im entertained without any games so far :lol

edit: im listening to songs while browsing thru the rest of the dashboard...its awesome...NOW ONTO TRYING SLIDESHOWS!

GhaleonEB

Joe said:
ive had 360 setup on my system for an over now and i have kameo and pd0 but i havent even touched them yet. ive done nothing but mess around with the dashboard, talking to friends in chats while watching HD videos, playing songs off my computer, using the visualizer and ive yet to hit xbox live arcade. AWESOME stuff, im entertained without any games so far :lol

edit: im listening to songs while browsing thru the rest of the dashboard...its awesome...NOW ONTO TRYING SLIDESHOWS!

PD0!

Yusaku

I'm retarded, how do I change my theme? I can see there are themes pre-loaded when viewing the HD contents under settings, but I see no theme manager anywhere.

I'd definitely believe the 600p thing for PGR3, jaggies abound. There's some very noticable slowdown in the replays too. More than anything I don't like how dark the game is. Thanks to HDR it seems like it's dark as night unless I'm directly facing the sun.

Don't get me wrong, I've only played two races, those were just the negative things that popped out ot me. If you've played the PGR games before then you know the positives.

Joe

sorry guys not quite yet. im really hyped for pd0 but im having so much fun just with the dashboard i cant stop yet. i just got done on a nice little hexic run, sweet game. im gonna check out marketplace...eat some dinner...then pd0.

edit: controller is amazing...dashboard integration and all the features is like the best thing EVER. my only complaint so far is the 360 headset. within a minute (literally) i disconnected it and started using the xbox1 headset.

I just got done setting up the Windows Media Center integration on my 360. I'll post some pics later today.

900 albums and HDTV recorder on demand in my living room baybeee!

What happens when you record HDTV with MCE? Does it recode it from MPEG-2 to WMV? Is there cablecard support yet? If recording non-premium content, is there still DRM on the files?

Joe

so i show my father the titanic-hd footage (because it looks awesome) to try and justify my "expensive" tv purchase which he thought was crazy. he goes... "wowww...NICE SHIP" :lol

then he saw a picture of the 360 on the box and thought it was a coffee maker...freakin immigrants :lol

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I still can't believe I'm doing this, having skipped out on the original Xbox. Then again, I skipped the PSOne and got a PS2 anyway (though not at launch).

Anyway, I'm going to be having a Rare birthday... heh.

Picked up some tree sitty gear today:
Xbox 360 Live Gold Membership - 12 months
360 Rechargable Batteries (for the wireless controller that will come with the Premium Pack I hope to purchase on Tue).
360 P&C kit (play and charge kit for the wireless controller)
360 Wired controller (to double as my 2nd player controller, and a PC controller (with the proper drivers, I hope)
Kameo - Elements of Power
Perfect Dark Zero Limited Edition

All that's left is the Xbox tree sitty itself...

I stopped by a Circuit City and a Target (where I got all of this gear) which happen to be very close together and conveniently are not doing preorders, just first come first serve walk ins. No midnight launches in either, but the Target, which is expected to have about 60 units (50 premium, 10 core) opens at 8am, and the CC (which claims to be getting 400???) opens at 10am. I'll be getting there hours early to wait in line, I think, buy a premium pack if I'm lucky, and continue to work, probably a few hours late, this Tuesday.

Ugh... what a way to spend a birthday. In line for MS gear and then working, unable to play.

Jesiatha

Yusaku said:
I'm retarded, how do I change my theme? I can see there are themes pre-loaded when viewing the HD contents under settings, but I see no theme manager anywhere.

I'm pretty sure theme change is something like:

Guide (press the Xbox Guide button)
Customize
Themes

or something like that - I'm pretty sure you don't change it from the dashboard itself.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Snagged Kameo & PDZ at Target.

They also had Tony Hawk, Gun, NBA2k6, Madden, Live, Condemned, COD2, RR6 & PGR3. They had shelf space with stickers allocated for King Kong & Q4 but the games werent out yet.

Yusaku

Jesiatha said:
I'm pretty sure theme change is something like:

Guide (press the Xbox Guide button)
Customize
Themes

or something like that - I'm pretty sure you don't change it from the dashboard itself.

Well thats...awkward. The dashboard is cool, but it feels a little incopmlete. I know the dashboard video player is just for trailers and stuff pre-loaded on the HD, but really, no fast forward or rewind? It litterally just plays, pauses, and stops. Disapointed the music player doesn't show album art, or display track info during fullscreen visualizations. Why is Shutdown listed on personal settings in the guide?

Joe

ok i only played 3 deathmatch games of pd0 but so far its good and has the potential to be REALLY good and a lot of fun.

i'll list my cons so far:
-aiming is no halo. it really makes you realize how amazing halo controls are because pd0's are good but (at least so far) feel clunky. keep in my mind the only fps ive played in the past year is halo2. so maybe im in still halo mode and need to adjust. by my 3rd match i was definitely aiming a lot better.

-no jumping is a little restrictive at first but once you realize that you cant jump and you have to walk around this wall to go down that ramp its fine, not a problem for me at least.

-voice chat system is fucked up right now. not sure if its pd0 or all of xbox live (someone else said they had the same thing on pgr3). lots of lag on voice chat, and echos. hopefully its an xbl thing and MS fixes it. and unless im not seeing it, you cant tell whos talking and that kind of blows.

-melee attacks arent great. again, its the great halo controls that make this an issue. there's no lunging/lock-on like in halo so you really gotta hit them to hit them. for better or worse that's the way it is.

ive played less than 30 minutes of the game online so far but i just wanted to let you guys know whats up. biggest thing you'll notice right away is the aiming. i dont wanna say its bad but you just gotta get used to it (hopefully at least).

if you're not a cynical, nit-picking bitch you're going to like pd0 multiplayer a lot. on the 3rd match i had a lot of fun.

im gonna try out single player now.

i really dont think the multiplayer will match halo2's, but i can tell its going to be REALLY good. if you're a nit-picking bitch you're gonna hate it...but if you're not buy the game and play it online, its fun. i really do wanna come out and say its AWESOME because i have that feeling in my belly but ive only played 3 matches, im gonna hold back on that for now.

Top Bottom