• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox 360 Worldwide Launch Thread

iPod charges while it's plugged in. I dunno how to eject it without turning off the 360, though.

It took like 5 hours to charge the controller battery pack.

My problem with Media Connect is I can't get it to authorize the 360.

Fowler

Rummy Bunnz said:
iPod charges while it's plugged in. I dunno how to eject it without turning off the 360, though.

It took like 5 hours to charge the controller battery pack.

My problem with Media Connect is I can't get it to authorize the 360.

Cool -- which iPod do you have? I've heard conflicting reports, though I'm inclined to believe yours because I just don't see why it wouldn't charge it really.

.Abras.

Blimblim said:
Thanks for the info. Just gave Forza a try, it works very nicely except for the movies who have some weird interlacing and sound sync problem. Everything else runs as expected.

How did you fell about Forza in 720p and AA?

Fowler said:
Cool -- which iPod do you have? I've heard conflicting reports, though I'm inclined to believe yours because I just don't see why it wouldn't charge it really.
40gig 4th gen, formatted to work with a Mac.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
u_neek said:
What games will be available on day one in Japan?
RR6, DOA4, PDZ, Everyparty, NFS:MW, Fifa, Tetris at launch
Then Shin Sangoku Musou 4 Special, Wrestle Kingdom and King Kong a bit later.

OK, having this ethernet cable running across my room is driving me nuts. Apologies if this has been asked before, but are there any affordable (and by affordable I mean "less than the $100 MS is asking for their stupid USB doohickey") wireless adapters that'll work with the 360?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Blimblim said:
RR6, DOA4, PDZ, Everyparty, NFS:MW, Fifa, Tetris at launch
Then Shin Sangoku Musou 4 Special, Wrestle Kingdom and King Kong a bit later.

Seems pretty comparable to the PS2 launch. The system launched with a handful of games, including Ridge Racer V, Street Fighter EX3, Stepping Selection, Drumania, Kessen, Eternal Ring and a handful of Mahjong titles.

Chittagong

Gold Member
DenogginizerOS said:
Seems pretty comparable to the PS2 launch. The system launched with a handful of games, including Ridge Racer V, Street Fighter EX3, Stepping Selection, Drumania, Kessen, Eternal Ring and a handful of Mahjong titles.

Comparable indeed
if you disregard the regional attractiveness of the titles

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Starting lining up people!

I think i was wrong initially stating it shouldn't be hard to find. We (Target) got our initial shipment Friday night. We got a total of 30 units 20 core and 10 premium. My store is a AA volume store. So I thought we would have been allocated more units this doesnt bode well for b and c volume stores.

We also got a few copies of Perfect Dark 0 via fedex friday afternoon

Yusaku

According to the dashboard I have a 13GB HD, not 20GB. Are they removing the portion of HD that's used for system use? If so, that's kind of stupid, it should say 20GB captacity, xGB for system use, then whatever, because it's very confusing.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how is the DVD playback? Quality is the most important thing - I have a pretty good progressive scan player but its big, and I'd like to dump it if the X360 is OK

come to think of it, how is the XBMC DVD player nowadays too?

Mrbob

Days like these... said:
Starting lining up people!

I think i was wrong initially stating it shouldn't be hard to find. We (Target) got our initial shipment Friday night. We got a total of 30 units 20 core and 10 premium. My store is a AA volume store. So I thought we would have been allocated more units this doesnt bode well for b and c volume stores.

We also got a few copies of Perfect Dark 0 via fedex friday afternoon

We'll see. I still don't think this system will be a sellout at all except for the big cities.

Mrbob

m0dus said:
So at Gamestops where they recieve 30 out of 200 $50 preorders, you think those angry folks aren't going to go elsewhere? ;-)

I shall save this quote for a later date :)

Yes but this isn't the norm. You are talking about bigger cities. I'm sure they'll sell out over the holiday season but not on day one.

Rummy Bunnz said:
OK, having this ethernet cable running across my room is driving me nuts. Apologies if this has been asked before, but are there any affordable (and by affordable I mean "less than the $100 MS is asking for their stupid USB doohickey") wireless adapters that'll work with the 360?
The LinkSys WGA54-series of wireless adapters tends to perform decently. They're also on the official compatibility list which is a plus.
Some other LinkSys adapters may bear fruit, but their performance tends to be rather inconsistent.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
krypt0nian said:
So Ninja Gaiden Black and Forza both already have emu problems?

They should have just not had BC.

If NGB does not run as well as I did on XBOX, that will be the first thing about the 360 launch that I am pissed about. I just traded my XBOX in to pay off the rest of my 360. But the $60 in trade-in credit will NEVER make up for the inability to play the few games that have been confirmed to work. Was it NG or NGB that had problems? Both?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
krypt0nian said:
So Ninja Gaiden Black and Forza both already have emu problems?

They should have just not had BC.

eh? Whats wrong with Forza ? I was looking forward to some good 720p racing.

Still I suppose my TV will do that anyway

mrklaw said:
eh? Whats wrong with Forza ? I was looking forward to some good 720p racing.

Still I suppose my TV will do that anyway

Blimblim said:
Thanks for the info. Just gave Forza a try, it works very nicely except for the movies who have some weird interlacing and sound sync problem. Everything else runs as expected.

We'll see. I still don't think this system will be a sellout at all except for the big cities.

I'm counting/hoping that this will happen, as I don't want to stand in line for several hours to get a 360. I'm hoping that I can still find one after I get off of work.

golem said:
oh no , not the fmvs!! :lol

hopefully they bring gaiden up to spec tho

Yes the FMV's. IF you're going to do something do it right. No reason to apologize for them.

Keep your xbox's - its all over.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
krypt0nian said:
Yes the FMV's. IF you're going to do something do it right. No reason to apologize for them.

Keep your xbox's - its all over.

yes and no.

Yes to 'stick it to the man'

No to play a good game at a higher resolution. It'll keep me happy until Forza 2

m0dus said:
I don't think he was apologizing for anyone. I think he was saying he doesn't give a shit about forza's FMVs. You were little quick on the draw there, deadeye.

This is very disturbing news regardless. It has better be something fixable, or MS truly screwed up the entire BC thing even moreso. NG with framedrops? sorry, that's fucking blasphemy.

Again, if you're going to do something, do it right. Some people care about FMV's some people don't. Doesn't change the fact that its not truly BC.

Fuma said:
Heh, they may get it right. It just might take a few patches to get there. Or not.

I hope so. It seems like a lot of resources wasted to me. BC will be a non-issue as son as the games start rolling in.

The good thing is that this can evolve over time. LIVE is a godsend in many regards.

cabel

My three Xbox 360 notes after an EXTREME party yesterday:

1. There's a tiny, invisible, stupid switch on the video cable, that chooses between HDTV and regular TV.

Even though you may think you have HD resolutions selected in the menus -- and it will let you choose them -- if you don't flip that little switch, you ain't gettin' HD. And yeah, they mention this in the manual a number of times, but who reads those? Let it be a warning to you all as my extreme Mountain Dew party was sadly HD-free. :)

2. The menu system seems weirdly inconsistent. Sometimes stuff flies in on drawer-like blades, sometimes you stay in the main blade interface, and sometimes stuff is strangely hard to find.

So here's a hint: want to change your Dashboard theme? Nope, it's nowhere in the "Settings", nor is it anywhere in the Dashboard itself (that I could find)! You have to press the Big X Thing on your controller, and then you get that thing on the side of the screen. Then choose "Personal Settings". In there -- and, seemingly, only in there? -- can you set your theme. Either that, or I'm a moron.

3. They charge you TEN DOLLARS -- sorry, 800 "Microsoft Points" -- to change your Gamer Tag.

Is this new? I've never used Xbox Live before. It seems insane! Anyway, a warning: if you sign up on Xbox Live and choose a fairly retarded Gamer Tag, you'll be paying to change it later. Hooray, Microtransactions, etc.!

Oh and the games are pretty fun, but I haven't gone too deep yet. :)

Yusaku

If you didn't notice that it wasn't in HD then you either have bad eyesight, or a crappy TV.

Yes, I had my own little adventure discovering where the themes option was. The interface is a bit of a letdown. If they want people to spend money on avatars and themes then they should probably let you preview the content before buying.

Before now you couldn't even change your gamertag if you wanted to.

EGM92

So I finally got a chance to play with my X360, broke down and opened it :D Kameo isn't all that fun, at least not in the beginning, the controls are a bit hard to get used to at first. I'm just not feeling it. CoD2 on X360 is pretty damn nice in HD. I personally HATE, I mean HATTTEEEEE all WWII based games, but this one is pretty good :lol The graphics are nice, controls are good for a FPS. I haven't had a chance to play PD0 just yet but I'll get a chance later on tonight.

As for the X360 itself, it's nice, it's about the size of my PS2, problem is that damn PSU is enormous and the damn cables are so thick! It's hard to put in some areas. The STV/HTDV cables are a nice touch to have them both in one. The blade system is cool, but damn is it hard to find stuff! I couldn't change the damn themes even though they're stored on the HDD. I couldn't connect it to my MCE PC it keeps failing, even though my PC is up to date but I was able to connect to live which is weird. I find it stupid that if I turn the X360 on with my MCE remote the damn controller doesn't turn on either I have to hold down the X button thing still it flashs.

Anyways question about the Live Arcade. I haven't had a chance to go through all the features etc. But if I wanted more Arcade games I'd have to buy them?? is there any way to obtain them for free? ie achivements. I'm new to XBL even though I own an original Xbox.

thx

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
cabel said:
My three Xbox 360 notes after an EXTREME party yesterday:

1. There's a tiny, invisible, stupid switch on the video cable, that chooses between HDTV and regular TV.

Even though you may think you have HD resolutions selected in the menus -- and it will let you choose them -- if you don't flip that little switch, you ain't gettin' HD. And yeah, they mention this in the manual a number of times, but who reads those? Let it be a warning to you all as my extreme Mountain Dew party was sadly HD-free. :)

You have what looks like a real nice TV and you didn't even know whether you were getting HD or not? You're either retarded or drunk.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
That extreme party seemed like it was also a Mario Kart DS orgy :p

hgplayer1

its a shame that 360s are going to people that clearly dont have a lot of interest in it. I can understand being distracted by Mario Kart as it was one of my favorite multiplayer games on N64, but to have a shiny new system in the house and not have any interest in playing it? WTF?

that whole blog seemed to be written by drunk people. :lol

cabel

SnowWolf said:
You have what looks like a real nice TV and you didn't even know whether you were getting HD or not? You're either retarded or drunk.

Actually, I noticed it, but didn't want to make a big deal out of it and spoil the party. ("Man, anybody else notice this looks like crap?") ;)

Still, I'm certainly retarded for not reading the manual. GUILTY AS CHARGED, sweetcheeks.

And yeah, the LIVEBLOGGING did get a little goofy. :)

Thanks for the adapter suggestions, guys!

Ninja Gaiden Black had the framerate drops. I don't have a copy of vanilla NG to test.

You have to buy the Arcade games. I don't think there's any way to get them for free. I was all ready to buy Geometry Wars last night, but then I saw I'd have a bunch of left over points with nothing to spend them on and decided against it. I'm not endorsing that shit.

hgplayer1 said:
its a shame that 360s are going to people that clearly dont have a lot of interest in it. I can understand being distracted by Mario Kart as it was one of my favorite multiplayer games on N64, but to have a shiny new system in the house and not have any interest in playing it? WTF?
My nephews dropped by the house last night. I thought they'd all be flipping out over the 360 and dying to try out the new games...instead they just asked if we could play Halo.

I don't understand kids.

Dante

Looks like I am gonna be getting a 360 on Tuesday. I played the kiosk for about an hour the other day, and was really impressed with the features. The graphics didn't really wow me at all, but I made my decision for it's features, and games that will be coming like Halo 3, GOW etc. It's a shame the graphics were so dissapointing that the only drawback to the system for me. It just doesn't feel like a generational leap in that area. Anyways i am pretty excited, and I finally caught the pre-launch hype bug.

cabel

Yusaku said:
Yes, I had my own little adventure discovering where the themes option was. The interface is a bit of a letdown. If they want people to spend money on avatars and themes then they should probably let you preview the content before buying.

I agree -- a preview is critical. I'm not going to spend my hard-earned Microsoft Magic Money on an theme that could, you know, look totally balls. Additionally, the really really long lists of items are a little unwieldy -- and I'm not sure how things are sorted. An iTunes-like three-column browse view would be well suited for this -- select a game in one column, click the download type in another column ("Themes"), then click the actual item in the final column to preview it and/or buy it.

I'm sure there will be plenty of software updates in the future. :) I have to give them e-props for trying some new ideas, though.

Just wanted to add all of my thoughts on the Xbox 360 hardware which we got earlier in the week as well. There might be a couple of new bits inside that I don't think have appeared in this thread as yet.

http://games.kikizo.com/news/200511/101_p1.asp

Hope you enjoy. Any feedback, please let me know?

360review350.jpg

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I called Walmart to see what system they were going to use to sell 360 and they're handing out tickets before Midnight. Simple enough, but I was told this store only had 20 systems....and..........wait for it............

It's already 6 people waiting in line!

DMczaf

jobber said:
I called Walmart to see what system they were going to use to sell 360 and they're handing out tickets before Midnight. Simple enough, but I was told this store only had 20 systems....and..........wait for it............

AZ Greg

jobber said:

Wow! Please tell me you live in a big city.

scarybore

KyotoMecca said:
Just wanted to add all of my thoughts on the Xbox 360 hardware which we got earlier in the week as well. There might be a couple of new bits inside that I don't think have appeared in this thread as yet.

http://games.kikizo.com/news/200511/101_p1.asp

Hope you enjoy. Any feedback, please let me know?

Good shit, would have thought the photos would have a zoom option of all things :lol The media side seems to be a bit lacking for me to take it seriously when compared to my modded Xbox, but as you say I hope some of it is patchable to include more options.

And forgive me if this next question insults your intelligence...

The next issue is that we can't get anything wireless working for love nor money - you have to disconnect the Ethernet cable so that the wireless adapter to becomes the primary communicator, which is fine

Disconnect the ethernet cable? As I understood it, I thought the wireless adapter only got power from USB and had to be connected to the ethernet port to send and receive data so shouldn't your ethernet cable be unplugged anyways?

KingJ2002

yes!

perfect dark zero, kameo: elements of power, project gotham racing 3, and ridge racer 6 acquired!

doa 4 comes on the 7th so im waiting to complete the circle.

Top Bottom