• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox 360 Worldwide Launch Thread

Nightbringer

Don´t hit me for my bad english plase
First, this post isn´t for talk about PD0 as a game, for it use the official post and the impressions of 1up post.

Perfect Dark 0 is a lure for talking continously about Xbox360 in the forums, we know that the human being talks more about the negative aspects of a product before the positive aspects of it.

1. Microsoft gives us a normal game that isn´t an AAA but that has a popular game in the industry.
2. We the players follow the Microsoft game and we start the viral marketing talking about how the game sucks.
3. Some fans of Rare and Perfect Dark with a 360 will buy the game. After it they will see that the game is fun to play and addictive. The advocacy for the game starts.
4. The other part of the world starts saying that the game is overhyped by their owners but the voice to voice campaign starts and the controversy is if Perfect Dark is a bad game because the technical aspect or is a good game because the playability.
5. Why Microsoft has produced a Halo for every one Xbox360? Future bundle pack with the game.

Why all this?

Xbox Live.

Deathcraze said:
And forgive me if this next question insults your intelligence...
Disconnect the ethernet cable? As I understood it, I thought the wireless adapter only got power from USB and had to be connected to the ethernet port to send and receive data so shouldn't your ethernet cable be unplugged anyways?

Unless I am very much mistaken, and I have it right here, the wireless adapter only connects to 360 with USB, Ethernet is separate and not able to be connected to the wireless adapter in any way. The system makes sure that only one can be used at a time for PC link.

KingJ2002 said:
interesting... there is no "only on xbox 360" stamp on the ridge racer 6

Because it's coming out on PS3 as well.

KAOS

Does anyone know if you can save a picture as your background with a memory card instead of the hard drive? Also is it possible to set multiple pictures for the menu blades(in other words create your own theme}?

scarybore

KyotoMecca said:
Unless I am very much mistaken, and I have it right here, the wireless adapter only connects to 360 with USB, Ethernet is separate and not able to be connected to the wireless adapter in any way. The system makes sure that only one can be used at a time for PC link.

Apologies, guess everyone else before this month was wrong then :lol Rather odd you can't get it working though, but thanks for the info!

hgplayer1

Deathcraze said:
Apologies, guess everyone else before this month was wrong then :lol Rather odd you can't get it working though, but thanks for the info!

3rd party wireless adapters will have to be connected by using the ethernet port. that may be what you had been reading about.

Can anyone offer some advice on when to arrive at a store Tuesday morning? I'm planning to hit my local Target and I'm thinking 3AM might be the sweet spot (the open at 8). I'm willing to get there whenever is necessary, but it would suck to be the only guy there for 6 hours, freezing in my lawn chair. :lol Any launch campout vets with some words of wisdom?

Today was the first time I really saw the Xbox 360 in action.

First, I went to Best Buy (to see if they had the 32-inch Westinghouse LCD in stock for $900). Someone was playing Call of Duty 2. It looked pretty good for being a PC port (not sure how it looks on a PC).

Then I went to EB Games and watched a computer vs. computer game of NBA 2K6 (Detroit vs. Pacers). The character models looked amazing (they could've used some aliasing though). The animated shorts and the sweat brought a new level of realism to video game sports.

But ignorance reared its ugly head when the lone Sales Associate began speaking to me.

He asked me if I liked basketball. I told him yes, but I wasn't really following it to religiously. He told me the Pacers were the best team in the East. At the time, I didn't give it no thought and replied the East has been pretty weak the last couple of years. Then I retracted it and said Detroit was the best team in the East right now. They were undefeated until they lost a game recently (and have been in the last two NBA Finals).

So, he asks me if I was getting the Xbox 360. I was like no, I think I'll wait till they drop the price or the Playstation 3 comes out.

So he and I get into a system war debate. I began presenting facts; he presents opinion.

He tells me Halo 2 is the biggest selling game for the last few years.

Xbox is kicking the crap out of PS2 at the moment.

Why have a system with a few good games when you can have the best game, Halo 2 and better graphics in the multi-console releases?

In fact, he said there weren't any good games on PS2 except God of War.

I retorted what the hell are you talking about?

Sony is the sales leader in consoles right now. I tell him I wouldn't be surprised if Sony has more consoles sold than Nintendo and Microsoft put together.

He replies not true, all the customers frequenting his establishment only buy Xbox and that EB sales associates are privy to secret industry sales data, so he knows my statement isn't true.

And I tell him, other than Halo, for the most part, Xbox doesn't really have any attractive exclusive software while Sony had God of War, Tekken 5, DMC 3, Jak X, Sly 3, Ratchet 4, Soul Calibur III, DQ VIII, Kingdom Hearts II, Gran Turismo 4.

I try arguing my facts, but another sales associate walks in and starts peddling the same malarchy.

I decide it's not worth it. And walk out of the store when the NBA 2K game is over (Detroit won).

I am a little alarmed by the shortages. Some hard-core gamers are going to be denied this experience because Microsoft underestimated suppply and demand.

hgplayer1

Jack Mehoffer said:
Can anyone offer some advice on when to arrive at a store Tuesday morning? I'm planning to hit my local Target and I'm thinking 3AM might be the sweet spot (the open at 8). I'm willing to get there whenever is necessary, but it would suck to be the only guy there for 6 hours, freezing in my lawn chair. :lol Any launch campout vets with some words of wisdom?

honestly why do so many people ask this question? no offense to you dude but everyone doesnt live where you live. how is anyone supposed to know when you should go out there? it depends on so many things youre just gonna have to do some research and figure out whats best for you.

have you called the store to find out how many units they are getting or what type of system they will be using to distribute the systems? if its really worth it to you then go at 3 and tough it out. hell you can probably even sit in your car until you see someone else show up then get behind them.

Raiden

Banned
Spiderjericho said:
Today was the first time I really saw the Xbox 360 in action.

First, I went to Best Buy (to see if they had the 32-inch Westinghouse LCD in stock for $900). Someone was playing Call of Duty 2. It looked pretty good for being a PC port (not sure how it looks on a PC).

Then I went to EB Games and watched a computer vs. computer game of NBA 2K6 (Detroit vs. Pacers). The character models looked amazing (they could've used some aliasing though). The animated shorts and the sweat brought a new level of realism to video game sports.

But ignorance reared its ugly head when the lone Sales Associate began speaking to me.

He asked me if I liked basketball. I told him yes, but I wasn't really following it to religiously. He told me the Pacers were the best team in the East. At the time, I didn't give it no thought and replied the East has been pretty weak the last couple of years. Then I retracted it and said Detroit was the best team in the East right now. They were undefeated until they lost a game recently (and have been in the last two NBA Finals).

So, he asks me if I was getting the Xbox 360. I was like no, I think I'll wait till they drop the price or the Playstation 3 comes out.

So he and I get into a system war debate. I began presenting facts; he presents opinion.

He tells me Halo 2 is the biggest selling game for the last few years.

Xbox is kicking the crap out of PS2 at the moment.

Why have a system with a few good games when you can have the best game, Halo 2 and better graphics in the multi-console releases?

In fact, he said there weren't any good games on PS2 except God of War.

I retorted what the hell are you talking about?

Sony is the sales leader in consoles right now. I tell him I wouldn't be surprised if Sony has more consoles sold than Nintendo and Microsoft put together.

He replies not true, all the customers frequenting his establishment only buy Xbox and that EB sales associates are privy to secret industry sales data, so he knows my statement isn't true.

And I tell him, other than Halo, for the most part, Xbox doesn't really have any attractive exclusive software while Sony had God of War, Tekken 5, DMC 3, Jak X, Sly 3, Ratchet 4, Soul Calibur III, DQ VIII, Kingdom Hearts II, Gran Turismo 4.

I try arguing my facts, but another sales associate walks in and starts peddling the same malarchy.

I decide it's not worth it. And walk out of the store when the NBA 2K game is over (Detroit won).

I am a little alarmed by the shortages. Some hard-core gamers are going to be denied this experience because Microsoft underestimated suppply and demand.

Wow you sure showed him.

Ps: Cod 2 on 360 is not a PC-port.

TwIsTeD

Jack Mehoffer said:
Any launch campout vets with some words of wisdom?

Don't go alone......when i waited from 11pm to 10am to get my PS2 the only comfort I had was the 10 other people who joined me after a failed midnight attempt at wal-mart.....that and the fact i was 16 smoking my ass off drinking coffee, so friends, cigs, coffee, and a ds or psp would help pass the time as well :D

The guy at Target said he was instructed by his manager not to tell anyone how many systems they are getting, which kinds of makes the planning process difficult. The reason I ask (as I'm sure everyone else here is) is because if I'm going to make the effort to get out there so friggin early, I better damn well leave with a 360.

hgplayer1

Jack Mehoffer said:
The guy at Target said he was instructed by his manager not to tell anyone how many systems they are getting, which kinds of makes the planning process difficult. The reason I ask (as I'm sure everyone else here is) is because if I'm going to make the effort to get out there so friggin early, I better damn well leave with a 360.

well i would make sure you know for sure that its going to be first come first serve and make sure you know exactly what part of the store you need to be at once you get inside. for instance I called my local wal mart and they are doing it out of the lay-a-way department.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
What? I thought CoD2 Xbox WAS a port of the PC game. It's CoD2 BRO (GCN, PS2, Xbox) that is a different game than the PC one...

EGM92

Kameo Question: How do I kill those damn water trolls? every attack I try doesn't seem to effect them at all! Do I need a certain element?

Nikashi

Banned
Whoo! EB tried to screw me by saying they called me but I never got back to them, but I was actually IN THE STORE asking about it, so they let me share a 'free 10 minutes' spot with someone else.

7:50 am, PST, November 22nd, I will have an Xbox 360!

Raiden said:
Wow you sure showed him.

Ps: Cod 2 on 360 is not a PC-port.

Three sales associates who don't know jack >>>> an informed gamer.

Mob mentality always wins over a single voice of reason.

And Call of Duty is a PC port. Read the reviews.

For those that live in the North Atlanta area and are wanting to get the VGA Cable, the Best Buy @ Mall of Georgia had 4 left as of today (11/20/2005) when I went in there . Store details :

Mall Of Georgia GA (Store 426)
3205 Woodward Crossing Blvd
Ste A
Buford, GA 30519
Phone: 770-614-0533
Hours: Mon-Sat 10:00am-10:00pm
Sun 10:00am-8:00pm

PhatSaqs

Banned
Joe said:
madden is fuck awesome.
I played it at EB today and was really impressed by the graphics. The only thing that looks weird and unexplainable to me is the way the Dline slide seems to look like pinball sometimes.

Im pumped for the game otherwise and loved every minute I played.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Goreomedy said:
What the fuck is a Gamefaqs thread title doing here?

Ouch. I was just trying to get people to reflect on the main reason they are getting the system. To me, a lot of these threads have become so frazzled, a reminder of why exactly we are getting one might put some ooomph into the responses against a lot of the hate.

My response: I want it.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
DenogginizerOS said:
Ouch. I was just trying to get people to reflect on the main reason they are getting the system. To me, a lot of these threads have become so frazzled, a reminder of why exactly we are getting one might put some ooomph into the responses against a lot of the hate.

My response: I want it.

Sorry. It does stink of Gamefaqs "detractor defense". You've bumped a thread to overshadow the negative opinions in a sister thread at your own admission.

I'm getting an Xbox360 because PGR3 looks fantastic, and PDZero looks like the same trashy fun I had with launch titles like Dreamcast's Blue Stinger(a between generation game that aims high, falls short, but ends up being a riot on several levels anyway).

PhatSaqs

Banned
Campers in Bellevue.

bb004.jpg

bb003.jpg

Im hopin the rain deters some folk here.

I'm very curious to see if demand outstrips supply on launch day. I'm banking on the hope that supply will exceed demand, as I don't want to wait in line for several hours/camp out to get a 360. :)

SuperPac

If I can't get one on launch day without camping for more than a day, well... I guess I'm not gettin' one day one. Because in the end, it IS just a video game system and as weekly shipments show up it shouldn't be all too hard to get in on one of *them*...

Bebpo

Banned
SuperPac said:
If I can't get one on launch day without camping for more than a day, well... I guess I'm not gettin' one day one. Because in the end, it IS just a video game system and as weekly shipments show up it shouldn't be all too hard to get in on one of *them*...

Don't worry, I dunno wtf is up with those people. Maybe it's staged? I mean I just called my huge nearby Best Buy that's doing the midnight launch and they said no one has lined up yet.

Tiktaalik

The fact is, is that Microsoft has a few months advantage over Sony where they can get their name out in the minds of consumers. They need to get their user base as big as possible as fast as possible. It doesn't make sense to have a prolonged shortage. I have the feeling that there will be a faked shortage for a short time just long enough that there are articles calling the Xbox 360 "the hot thing to have this Christmas" and then it'll be easy to find.

Don't worry, I dunno wtf is up with those people. Maybe it's staged? I mean I just called my huge nearby Best Buy that's doing the midnight launch and they said no one has lined up yet.

I remember when Gamecube launched, and I went to Best Buy in the morning to get one. There were only a handful of people and I even was able to buy 2 Gamecubes. Hopefully, the same situation happens with 360 this time.

The fact is, is that Microsoft has a few months advantage over Sony where they can get their name out in the minds of consumers. They need to get their user base as big as possible as fast as possible. It doesn't make sense to have a prolonged shortage. I have the feeling that there will be a faked shortage for a short time just long enough that there are articles calling the Xbox 360 "the hot thing to have this Christmas" and then it'll be easy to find.

Good points. I shudder to think how big the lines will be when ps3 comes out....

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
PhatSaqs said:
Campers in Bellevue.

bb004.jpg

bb003.jpg

Im hopin the rain deters some folk here.

jesus out early much :eek:

KAOS

Yusaku:
Thanks for the theme info!

I figure nobody really has a core system to test to see if you can store backgrounds on a memory card. Hmmm, I'm still undecided on whether to get the core system and three games or the premium system and two games.

Top Bottom