• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox 360 Worldwide Launch Thread

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Say, if I get a Premium pack that comes with the 20gb HDD, then I don't need to splurge on that silly little 64mb memory unit, correct? I can save games directly to the HDD??

Mejilan

hgplayer1 said:

Thanks a bunch. As I've mentioned before, I'm pretty much in the dark, or at least quite unsure, about some of the basic things, since I skipped out on the last Xbox entirely.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Mejilan said:
since I skipped out on the last Xbox entirely.
Ha, me too, which is why it's all the more weird that I set in the stone the fact that I was going to buy one of these things like two weeks after E3.

Mejilan

vatstep said:
Ha, me too, which is why it's all the more weird that I set in the stone the fact that I was going to buy one of these things like two weeks after E3.

I decided about 2 days ago, that I'd get an X360. And I wasn't even on the fence about it before. I had completely dropped it from consideration before it was even announced. Not sure why I changed my mind, but yesterday I went out and bought Kameo, PDZ LE, and all of the accessories I felt I'd need that won't be coming with the Premium bundle. Hell, even a 12 month XBL Gold card.

Am I nuts? Maybe.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Mejilan said:
I decided about 2 days ago, that I'd get an X360. And I wasn't even on the fence about it before. I had completely dropped it from consideration before it was even announced. Not sure why I changed my mind, but yesterday I went out and bought Kameo, PDZ LE, and all of the accessories I felt I'd need that won't be coming with the Premium bundle. Hell, even a 12 month XBL Gold card.

Am I nuts? Maybe.
When Dreamcast came out, I decided only three days prior to launch that I needed one, and sold my PS1 and N64 towards it (dumb move) at FuncoLand. I don't know, I guess it's something about the promise of "next-gen" that does it.

I saw in that other thread that you're camping out. Good luck getting one!

Mejilan

Promise of next gen? Not really. I was content with (just) my N64, skipping the DC AND the PS2. I got the GCN first, then the PS2 about a year after that. And, like Sony and Nintendo, I'm in no rush to see this gen end. Not before I finish FE, DQ8, Grandia III, and Zelda TP AT THE VERY LEAST! :lol

Camping? I guess. I plan on heading to the midtown Best Buy here in Manhattan after work tomorrow. It's only a few blocks away. I'll likely know within minutes of arriving if I have a chance to get one, and stay or ditch as I see fit. We'll see. :D

vatstep

From IGN boards (presumably one of the editors):

If you're up and awake early this Monday morning, we'll have a surprise review for you. I'll be honest, it's not PDZ, I own't tease you like that. But it's a review of a game that's definitely blown us away. Check the IGN 360 front page sometime after midnight.
Midnight PST, obviously. My guess is King Kong, though it could also be Tiger Woods or Quake 4 (very unlikely).

I didn't mention RR6 because IGN's score for it is already listed on their review index.

newsguy

Nikashi said:
Should we post pics of the consoles once we get them, or do that in another thread?

NO! I created a "post your 360 pics" thread just for this. The catch is you need to show it running on your TV

Ramirez

Man,the fuckin wait of a life time starts tomorrow when I go to WM to try and get one...prolly gonna have to wait 7-8 hours *sigh* Wish me luck fuckers :(

swordsman

Banned
What I want to say:...
I wish you (Xdudez and the new comers) many luck in the line waiting for your great gift on Nov. 21-22.
And for the peoples whose are certain with their xbox360, be heavy armed to be don’t get robbed :lol . It will be brute.
Don’t get despair when you don’t get the gift on the first 1st day.

Me and many Europe citizens are still uncertain how it will turn out on Dec 2nd.
Even the clerks at our beloved game shops promise us heaven and earth that you will get the gift on day one. I do hope so. We will going joint the xbox360 community later this year.
Peace.

Joe

anyone elses 360 a loud bastard? i paused pd0 for a few minutes and i was standing about 4 feet from the system and that fucker is way louder than xbox...unless its mine. mine has already locked up once...i gotta get that extended warranty.

Tiktaalik

Finally got a chance to play some PGR3 on live. It was a pretty great experience. There is a weird echoing problem with the microphones, but other than that it was smooth sailing. Having a room full of people play a track can be pretty rough though, since alot of the tracks in PGR3 are quite thin, so if you have more than 4 people in a game there's often a huge pileup at the beginning and if you get stuck in it you're screwed. Pretty much you should probably only play Las Vegas if you have more than 5 people I think.

Anyway, It was great. I ended up staying up 2 hours longer than I was going to :)

EGM92

Joe said:
anyone elses 360 a loud bastard? i paused pd0 for a few minutes and i was standing about 4 feet from the system and that fucker is way louder than xbox...unless its mine. mine has already locked up once...i gotta get that extended warranty.

it's not that loud, it's no louder then my shuttle PC. But when that disk is spinning yea it does get a bit loud but other then that it's pretty quiet, my VCR makes more noise when watching a tape then the 360 just running in the dashboard. I'd put your X360 somewhere that it will recieve a lot of ventilation just in case... if you haven't already done that.

Nutter

Ramirez said:
Man,the fuckin wait of a life time starts tomorrow when I go to WM to try and get one...prolly gonna have to wait 7-8 hours *sigh* Wish me luck fuckers :(

Good luck buddy. :p

Btw: What games are you picking up?

They added an exclusive achievement for Zero Hour (major nelson/hiroprotagonist) have it...

1Gdsb2JgbA9ECgUAG3IfWSpWL2ljb24vMC84MDAwIAABAAAAAPuLwF8=.jpg

Kon Tiki

Banned
krypt0nian said:
They added an exclusive achievement for Zero Hour (major nelson/hiroprotagonist) have it...

?

That is a Marketplace Community download for the launch party. You sure it is an acheivement? Everyone can download it.

Edit: I see.

MS have thrown outta PR to make you all feel hyped!

REDMOND, Wash. — Nov. 21, 2005 — In less than 24 hours, gamers and adrenaline junkies alike will converge on thousands of retail outlets to be among the first to purchase the Xbox 360TM next-generation video game and entertainment system from Microsoft Corp. Droves of dedicated fans are expected to line the streets as more than 4,500 retailers open their doors at 12:01 a.m. to answer the demand for the Xbox 360 console and 18 launch games, including "Perfect Dark ZeroTM," "Project Gotham Racing® 3" and "KameoTM: Elements of PowerTM," from Microsoft Game Studios.

"The debut of Xbox 360 marks one of the biggest consumer launches in Microsoft's history," said Robbie Bach, president of the Entertainment and Devices Division at Microsoft and chief Xbox officer. "With its sheer power, portfolio of graphically stunning games, rich online capabilities, and features for enjoying music, movies and photos, Xbox 360 delivers integrated digital gaming and entertainment experiences that simply can't be matched."

More than 4,500 retailers will be holding midnight madness events. Best Buy, Microsoft's retail partner for Xbox 360 launch events, also will open all its U.S. stores at 9 a.m. on Nov. 22. "Xbox 360 takes our customers' gaming experience to new levels," said Jill Hamburger, vice president of games at Best Buy. "Walk into any of our stores and you'll feel the excitement — it's a complete entertainment solution."

The excitement is already being felt around the globe. More than 3,500 gamers from around the world descended on an Xbox 360 oasis in California's Mojave Desert last night to celebrate the arrival of Xbox 360 at an exclusive launch party called Xbox 360: Zero Hour. Attendees are now engaged in more than 24 hours of Xbox 360 gameplay and tonight will have a chance to buy the console, launch games and gaming peripherals on site from Best Buy.

Xbox 360 festivities will continue as the system launches Dec. 2 in Europe and Dec. 10 in Japan.

arne

krypt0nian said:

I'm still trying to figure out how to get that one. Nobody is willing to spill, even to me, not that I'm really special or anything. I still got 19 hours to figure it out.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
arne said:
I'm still trying to figure out how to get that one. Nobody is willing to spill, even to me, not that I'm really special or anything. I still got 19 hours to figure it out.

Maybe you should check http://www.majornelson.com

If you are lucky enough to attend Zero Hour here in the California Desert….make sure you swing by the area next to the Windows Media Center demo. You can insert your memory unit…and get hooked up with an exclusive Zero Hour Achievement…that is ONLY available here.

arne

GeoNeo said:
Maybe you should check http://www.majornelson.com

If you are lucky enough to attend Zero Hour here in the California Desert….make sure you swing by the area next to the Windows Media Center demo. You can insert your memory unit…and get hooked up with an exclusive Zero Hour Achievement…that is ONLY available here.

Oops. I should hang my head in shame. Guess being up for 14 hours now means I don't not read things closely enough.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
I wonder if someone will Ebay a memcard with the Achievement. :lol I would not be shocked if it sold for a pretty penny as well.

Nikashi

Banned
GeoNeo said:
I wonder if someone will Ebay a memcard with the Achievement. :lol I would not be shocked if it sold for a pretty penny as well.

Not sure if that will be possible since those are probably linked to your gamertag.

Seth C

Ramirez said:

Want to pick a line somewhere between us so we can wait together for this thing? 8 hours by myself is going to suck.

SuperPac

Oh my... I just drove by the Best Buy in Houston, TX (midnight launch). There was already a line of 30 or so people sitting outside the store at 8:30 a.m. this morning. Have people gone crazy?

vatstep

A lot of people seem hesitant to agree, but as evidenced by the extremely early lines (I've read a bunch of different reports now on other boards), this is going to be just as big as the PS2 launch. Video games have become a lot more popular in the last five years, and the Xbox became extremely significant in the past few, especially since Halo 2.

Checked my gamestop.com preorder and it is officially processing. Looks like I'll be getting it either tomorrow or Wednesday. (breathes huge sigh of relief) :)

Seth C

SuperPac said:
Oh my... I just drove by the Best Buy in Houston, TX (midnight launch). There was already a line of 30 or so people sitting outside the store at 8:30 a.m. this morning. Have people gone crazy?

I never expected anything like this. I'm really starting to worry about getting one tonight.

There are currently 4 people in a line at the Wal-Mart I plan on waiting at. I'm starting to feel a sickness come on...you know...I may need to leave work early.. ;)

Seth C

Outlaw Pro Mod said:
There are currently 4 people in a line at the Wal-Mart I plan on waiting at. I'm starting to feel a sickness come on...you know...I may need to leave work early.. ;)

4 people, at Wal-Mart, before noon? Insanity. I hadn't planed to show up till 7!

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I already asked to leave early today from work 2 weeks ago and have tomorrow off. If I didn't have to get my shoulder checked today, I would be in line arleady!

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Mrbob said:
We'll see. I still don't think this system will be a sellout at all except for the big cities.

You still think this?

I was at a Meijer store (similar to a Super Walmart, only in the Midwest) this morning and as I passed electronics I heard someone say "We're getting tons of calls on this 360."

shantyman said:
You still think this?

I was at a Meijer store (similar to a Super Walmart, only in the Midwest) this morning and as I passed electronics I heard someone say "We're getting tons of calls on this 360."

local meijers are reporting 8 total systems ......four of each

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
heh...heheh....heh...

Add me to the "oops, we didn't call you, but your August reserve is now for the 2nd shipment, to be delievered "eh, sometime after tomorrow"

Lo-Volt

Shawnwhann said:
Two of my Ebay auctions just sold for 735.00 and 715.00

$650 gross profit for the win baby. :lol

Always gonna be enough impatient suckers on eBay trying to please their bratty children. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas, is it not?

Top Bottom