• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox 360 Worldwide Launch Thread

fse

Mrbob said:
Need for Speed Most Wanted demo is out.

Downloading it right now.

963 megs!

Hmm, I have the game but I think I have a bad copy. Maybe I'll DL it since my disc won't fucking start.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Did anyone else have a problem in their area where asshole Best Buy employees kicked people out of line just so they could buy premium packs?

Every time I see a Best Buy peon hyping up how much they love their 360 I want to punch them in the face because they got theirs by fucking over a customer who camped out in line.

3rdman

truffleshuffle83 said:
fuck appearantly it only supports wma, mp3 and wav over streaming. mother fuckers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You do realize that its Apple you should be pissed at, right? If its on iTunes, its probably been DRM'd and its probably the same reason that you can't stream protected music from your iPod.

Argyle

So I called MS back today to see about my hard drive. Had to wait on hold another half hour (no surprise there), and wow, holy data mining Batman! I didn't even have to give him my address...frightening. (I did ask about that, and verified that he had the right address.)

So hopefully next week I should have a replacement hard drive for this machine...

Speevy

Banned
neptunes said:
Does KOTOR1&2 play good on the 360?

KOTOR had its problems on my Thompson, and part 2 was just a mess.

So unless the Xbox 360 magically improves framerates and erases glitches, I'd say no.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Well, presumably, the Xbox 360 works better than a faulty Thompson drive Xbox 1.

I'd hope, anyway. ;p

neptunes

Speevy said:
KOTOR had its problems on my Thompson, and part 2 was just a mess.

So unless the Xbox 360 magically improves framerates and erases glitches, I'd say no.
I meant, does it add any glitches not found in the original game?

ccharla

ManaByte said:
Did anyone else have a problem in their area where asshole Best Buy employees kicked people out of line just so they could buy premium packs?

Every time I see a Best Buy peon hyping up how much they love their 360 I want to punch them in the face because they got theirs by fucking over a customer who camped out in line.

At the Best Buy I was at (Lanesborough, Mass), there were a few Best Buy employees camped out in line to get 360s, and the manager said that any employees -- chain wide -- who tried to hold out on customers to buy them themselves were supposed to be fired. I believe the actual quote was "the only way a best buy employee is getting one is if he takes the day off and waits in line."

That said, given the economy of western MA, the caliber of employee at that Best Buy was far higher than at any other Best Buy I've ever been to (I live in CA). They were all, like, smart and knew wtf they were talking about. It was weird.

atomsk

Party Pooper
well, i caved. fuck ebay, 360 AM MINE.

of coarse, i dont have any games for it, so i've been fucking around in the dashboard, trying out BC games, and playing dvd's.

having the VGA cable arrive in the mail plus plunging ebay prices is what did me in. being able to finally watch dvd's in progressive scan is awesome.

Joe

i finished downloading the need for speed demo. theres a few tracks, and a few cars to pick from. i wasnt interested in it. im downloading the franz ferdinand video now. this shit is slow as DIRT! they really need to get the DL's moving faster.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Joe said:
i finished downloading the need for speed demo. theres a few tracks, and a few cars to pick from. i wasnt interested in it. im downloading the franz ferdinand video now. this shit is slow as DIRT! they really need to get the DL's moving faster.

I download at my max speed. It's probably on your end.

ManaByte

Gold Member
ccharla said:
At the Best Buy I was at (Lanesborough, Mass), there were a few Best Buy employees camped out in line to get 360s, and the manager said that any employees -- chain wide -- who tried to hold out on customers to buy them themselves were supposed to be fired. I believe the actual quote was "the only way a best buy employee is getting one is if he takes the day off and waits in line."

That said, given the economy of western MA, the caliber of employee at that Best Buy was far higher than at any other Best Buy I've ever been to (I live in CA). They were all, like, smart and knew wtf they were talking about. It was weird.

At two of the Best Buys near here they let employees basically cut in line within the first 20 spaces so they could be sure to get premiums.

Speevy

Banned
Man installing the BC update was easy.

I went the blank CD-RW route, and had it done within seconds. Wow.

Does anyone think that other free content could be loaded this way?

StRaNgE

Banned
So does anyone know if MS is doing returns on faulty controllers?

that B button is about useless on one of mine.

i can live with the squeek coming from the other but the second controller is pointless with that B button that way.

call MS or go back to walmart?

shpankey

not an idiot
atomsk said:
being able to finally watch dvd's in progressive scan is awesome.
Speaking of that... how is the progressive scan DVD playback on it? Is it up there with some of the high quality progressive DVD players? This is something I've been curious about. Technically speaking, the system has the hardware to make it as good in picture quality as any DVD player out there, bar none. So then, does it come through?

Argyle

OK, so this Gamerscore and achievement thing seems to have problems.

I play NFS with my memory card, sign in, get some gamer points.

I quit, and the next day, I play again with my memory card, only I'm playing offline, so it's not updating my score on the server. I earn some more points.

Tonight I find out I can't copy my profile over from my memory card, I can only move it. So I recover my gamertag to the hard drive so I can have a copy of my profile on the MU and the HDD. As expected, the score it gets from the server hasn't been updated, so it doesn't have my latest achievements...fair enough.

I pop NFS in and resume my save game (which I have copied from the MU to the HDD). I was hoping it would load my game, look at my profile and note that I don't have points for some of the achievements that I've clearly done (the achievements in NFS are based on how far along you are in the career mode) and award them accordingly...so now it looks like those points are lost and will never be updated on the server, and I won't be able to get those points without starting the game over from scratch. :(

Kon Tiki

Banned
Ouch.

I only had one problem with GS. After beating a level of COD2 on hardened, it did not give me the acheivement. Maybe it has to due with me selecting it from mission select and not from story mode.

thorns

Banned
Argyle said:
OK, so this Gamerscore and achievement thing seems to have problems.

I play NFS with my memory card, sign in, get some gamer points.

I quit, and the next day, I play again with my memory card, only I'm playing offline, so it's not updating my score on the server. I earn some more points.

Tonight I find out I can't copy my profile over from my memory card, I can only move it. So I recover my gamertag to the hard drive so I can have a copy of my profile on the MU and the HDD. As expected, the score it gets from the server hasn't been updated, so it doesn't have my latest achievements...fair enough.

I pop NFS in and resume my save game (which I have copied from the MU to the HDD). I was hoping it would load my game, look at my profile and note that I don't have points for some of the achievements that I've clearly done (the achievements in NFS are based on how far along you are in the career mode) and award them accordingly...so now it looks like those points are lost and will never be updated on the server, and I won't be able to get those points without starting the game over from scratch. :(

that could be to prevent "cheating", since when you're offline you might use cheat devices or whatever else, and xbox live would have no way of knowing that.

swordsman

Banned
Still waiting for Dec 2nd

so in the meantime:
Sorry if old:
xbox360 heaven for retro

Got this from www.gamefront.de

23.11.05 - Digitally Leisure communicates the publication of 15 Arcade classical authors for the Xbox 360. In addition belong among other things. WAD Dog McCree, Thayer's Quest, Dragon's Lair, space Ace, Dragon's Lair 2: Time Warp, WAD Dog 2: The draws to gold, The load Bounty Hunter, Crime Patrol, Drug Wars, Who of SHOT Johnny skirt and space Pirates. The titles are available on www.digitalleisure.com. CLICK (DigitalLeisure: ' digitally Leisure of goes 360! - digitally Leisure of announces 15 Classic Arcade Games for the universe new Xbox 360 * ')

Seth C

swordsman said:
Still waiting for Dec 2nd

so in the meantime:
Sorry if old:
xbox360 heaven for retro

Got this from www.gamefront.de

23.11.05 - Digitally Leisure communicates the publication of 15 Arcade classical authors for the Xbox 360. In addition belong among other things. WAD Dog McCree, Thayer's Quest, Dragon's Lair, space Ace, Dragon's Lair 2: Time Warp, WAD Dog 2: The draws to gold, The load Bounty Hunter, Crime Patrol, Drug Wars, Who of SHOT Johnny skirt and space Pirates. The titles are available on www.digitalleisure.com. CLICK (DigitalLeisure: ' digitally Leisure of goes 360! - digitally Leisure of announces 15 Classic Arcade Games for the universe new Xbox 360 * ')

I'm pretty sure they are just being lame and trying to advertise their DVD-Video releases of these games as being for Xbox 360.

shpankey said:
Speaking of that... how is the progressive scan DVD playback on it? Is it up there with some of the high quality progressive DVD players? This is something I've been curious about. Technically speaking, the system has the hardware to make it as good in picture quality as any DVD player out there, bar none. So then, does it come through?

It's a great DVD player. Sharp, vivid picture. No delay when hitting the DVD menu button. Actually, no delays at all on any of the buttons.

Argyle

thorns said:
that could be to prevent "cheating", since when you're offline you might use cheat devices or whatever else, and xbox live would have no way of knowing that.

Well, that's great. I feel like I've been ripped off on my Gamerscore - is it true then that all achievements done offline aren't counted? If so, that fucking sucks. They shouldn't even bother adding it to your offline profile if it's not going to be counted anyway.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I have a question about copying music to the Harddrive. I'm making audio CDs using Nero out of mp3s on my computer, and then putting them into the 360 and ripping to its harddrive. However, even though the mp3s are properly tagged, they only show up as Track 01, Track 02... on the 360. Am I doing something wrong, because it'll be really annoying to go through and retag everything.

Lo-Volt

SnowWolf said:
I have a question about copying music to the Harddrive. I'm making audio CDs using Nero out of mp3s on my computer, and then putting them into the 360 and ripping to its harddrive. However, even though the mp3s are properly tagged, they only show up as Track 01, Track 02... on the 360. Am I doing something wrong, because it'll be really annoying to go through and retag everything.

That sucks. I was thinking of doing the same when I decide to get the white space heater. Does this also happen with iTunes-burned audio discs?

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Lo-Volt said:
That sucks. I was thinking of doing the same when I decide to get the white space heater. Does this also happen with iTunes-burned audio discs?

For some reason, when I burn entire albums, the 360 relabels the files just fine. It's when I make custom mix CDs that it doesn't seem to work.

I'm going to try this Windows Media Connect thing.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
SnowWolf said:
For some reason, when I burn entire albums, the 360 relabels the files just fine. It's when I make custom mix CDs that it doesn't seem to work.

That's because it's looking up the internet datebase for albums. A mix cd isn't a album therefore it can't tell what songs are on the disk.

Visigoth

Argyle said:
Well, that's great. I feel like I've been ripped off on my Gamerscore - is it true then that all achievements done offline aren't counted? If so, that fucking sucks. They shouldn't even bother adding it to your offline profile if it's not going to be counted anyway.

Xbox 360 syncs achievements with the server when you connect to Xbox LIVE. Any achievements you achieve offline should be reflected online when you signin with the same profile.

Even if you are a completely offline gamer and one day decide to go online, we will sync your achievements from your offline play.

Disclaimer: Microsoft is my employer. This post is provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights.

Visigoth

SnowWolf said:

For audio CDs, Xbox 360 connects to a CDDB-like service to retrieve information about audio tracks. Since your audio CD is a custom CD, it does not exist in the database and as such, Xbox does not know what those tracks are.

If you are able to do so, I would suggest using Windows Media Connect to stream music from your computer.

Disclaimer: Microsoft is my employer. This post is provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
since you know bout music...how in the hell can you transfer music from your computer to the 360's hard drive without burning cds?

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
SnowWolf said:

I think because it gets the info from the CDDB, it's not looking at tags.

Joe

so are slow downloads the nature of the beast? or something wrong on my end? for reference it took an hour to download the nba live demo.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Joe said:
so are slow downloads the nature of the beast? or something wrong on my end? for reference it took an hour to download the nba live demo.

You think that's slow? I have broadband lite (something Time Warner has but does not advertise), which is I belive 1 MBps instead of 3... That is slow.

JMPovoa

Joe said:

1 hour for 500 Megs? Doesn't sound too bad. What's your download bandwidth?

golem

the live demo is more like 900mb right? took me about an hr to download too, not too bad. probably depends on the speed of live in general.. i hope they implement a speed meter/estimated time remaining though, in addition to dl'ing in the background and queuing files if that isnt possible

Argyle

Visigoth said:
Xbox 360 syncs achievements with the server when you connect to Xbox LIVE. Any achievements you achieve offline should be reflected online when you signin with the same profile.

Even if you are a completely offline gamer and one day decide to go online, we will sync your achievements from your offline play.

Then this didn't work, because I signed on from the memory card before I recovered my Gamertag on the HDD.

Top Bottom