• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Officially Approved Competitive Fighting Game Thread

reetva

Banned
The Take Out Bandit said:
BlazBlue
SF2:HDR
Ah, nice. I need some games for my PS3 (it looks kind of sad there on the shelf...), so I'll pick up BlazBlue. I'm assuming that a Dualshock won't cut it, so what should I do for controls? Are there any pads I could use? If I have to go the stick route, I'm looking for something nice and cheap. :lol

Do we talk specifics of the games in here, or just about competitive events and the community?

The lack of Evil Zone and Waku Waku 7 in this thread means I won't have much to talk about, though. I only play hardcore 3d and 2d fighting games.

More people should play Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Freshmaker said:
Argh. SC IV isn't dead. Go to www.8watrun.com they have actively updated rankings, a WGC teams match is happening etc.

(Wonderbubble and Hilde are also banned in the US.)

wat
=P

So I'm reading 8wayrun's wiki and it doesn't explain why Hilde is banned. I've completely ignored Hilde in the year I've casually played SC4... what's her deal?

I see Algol and all the extra non-SW characters are banned, too. I can see why Algol would be banned but not the extra custom characters.

reetva said:
Ah, nice. I need some games for my PS3 (it looks kind of sad there on the shelf...), so I'll pick up BlazBlue. I'm assuming that a Dualshock won't cut it, so what should I do for controls? Are there any pads I could use? If I have to go the stick route, I'm looking for something nice and cheap. :lol

HORI FS3 is your best n00b stick at generally reasonable prices. Practice first, then worry about octagon gates and Sanwa parts later.

Growing up in US arcades, I'm used to square gates, non ergonomic hippy buttons, and general discomfort; it builds character!

TreIII

God's Beard said:
More people should play Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

This is true. :D

As long as nobody's giving each other "the bird", the game is pretty balanced out in its own way.

Threi

notag
Also, watching the streams today, nobody can call high level TvC a turtlefest.

It's probably the most offensive game I have ever seen.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
TreIII said:
This is true. :D

As long as nobody's giving each other "the bird", the game is pretty balanced out in its own way.

Which means it's Capcom's Last Blade 2.

As for the SCIV stuff- Hilde has combos that can kill you in one hit via ringout from the middle of most open stages.

The fanservicey stuff, I don't agree with it, but people do shit on the game because of it.

Another thing that hurt the game is horrible online. Good online is a necessity for fighters these days, unless you're SFIV.

Threi said:

That was mainly me. The new TvC is definitely different from the Japanese one, and for sure not a turtlefest. The Japanese one didn't have instant dash and was plagued with a myriad of dumb infinites. USA version is better by leaps and bounds. Also there were random unblockables taken out of the USA version as well.

edit - USA = international

JEKKI

fighting games!!

dont live like ppl do!

they always remember you!

whether things are good or bad!

it's jus the fighting games!!

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Danthrax said:
wat
=P

So I'm reading 8wayrun's wiki and it doesn't explain why Hilde is banned. I've completely ignored Hilde in the year I've casually played SC4... what's her deal?
They essentially banned her after Evo. I'm not exactly sure about why. If you look up the Evo vids, you'll see her doom combo pop out a lot. (Which is basically a ring out from the center of the ring.) since Hilde didn't win at Evo, (Ivy did) and she didn't win at the SC nationals (Amy) I still don't really see how it was considered broken. It's just kinda boring to watch and/or play against. (All the political stuff happens on the forum rather than the Wiki. You'd have to check the SV IV offline discussion forum for anything better than my speculation...)

If Namco ever releases Broken Destiny outside of the PSP, they did rebalance Algol and Hilde so they can't be as annoying now. That'd probably null the ban.

I see Algol and all the extra non-SW characters are banned, too. I can see why Algol would be banned but not the extra custom characters.
They have slightly different move properties. (Shura has longer range than Cervy and is slightly faster too. Then another is just Amy with way better range etc.) Since they can mess up the balance even more, they were banned from the outset.

N4Us

Threi said:

Those Doronjo combos that one guy did were ridiculous.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
There are some games that I left out because I was running out of time -- I had to meet up with a friend for a VF tournament -- but they will be added eventually. Some games I didn't add because their scenes are dormant or seem dormant, but if you do think they're worth adding to the list, please write something up and I'll be more than glad to add them. I don't have anything against GvG, Melty, Dead or Alive, or Soulcalibur (shit, I made my mark starting from Soulcal 2 lol) so yes, any talk of traditional fighting games is all fine by me.

ptown

Anybody interested in discussing [personal] character selection?
"The first step(?)", a topic of self discovery and picking the right character(s) for you.
Most fighting games, you can't select the entire roster to fight for you.
So when you select your character, make it count!

Sound good?
Is this a topic with true fighting competitive value or too much clutter (i.e. Want to see post after post of character lists because I have my list ready and oiled up!!! :lol )

Yay or nay?

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Oichi said:
There are some games that I left out because I was running out of time -- I had to meet up with a friend for a VF tournament -- but they will be added eventually. Some games I didn't add because their scenes are dormant or seem dormant, but if you do think they're worth adding to the list, please write something up and I'll be more than glad to add them. I don't have anything against GvG, Melty, Dead or Alive, or Soulcalibur (shit, I made my mark starting from Soulcal 2 lol) so yes, any talk of traditional fighting games is all fine by me.

Curious on something- in Japanese arcades, what % of players really know how to play VF. There's gotta be scrubs in Japan right?

How many know how to fuzzy for example. (Not that is makes you good, but it's a staple technique at mid-level)

soakrates

Hilde isn't the reason SC4 sucks. It's because the frame data in that game is utterly whacked out. At least that was my main problem with it. Way too much attacking at disadvantage and far too many unsafe moves for my taste. FFS, the game has guard crush moves that can be punished on block. Not to mention that Maxi, my main since SC1, was pretty much worthless.

It's both sad and kinda hilarious to find out that Hilde's been banned. I'm sure some places will still allow her in tourneys though. Ceirnian, one of the guys who pretty much invented Hilde, was one of my sparring partners back when I played SC4. He would usually wreck me pretty bad, but the better players in NorCal did well against him a good portion of the time.

So is this an alternative to the greatest thread in the world? The five year old Cheap Ass Gamer Fighting Game Thread?

Nothing tops it. I hope all you CAG FGTs post here as well.

Fuck yeah Jekki

CPS2

soakrates said:
It's both sad and kinda hilarious to find out that Hilde's been banned.
A lot of SC4 players are just way too ban happy. They ban stuff just because they don't like it. IMO, at least see what people are doing to win for a little while, if there's all this debate and people aren't sure. The scenes that allowed Hilde, Algol, SW characters and so on, generally weren't dominated by those characters.

If the ban-happy people running SC4 tourneys were running SF4, they would ban Sagat outright, and ban Akuma, Abel, Chun and Fuerte's (etc) loops. edit: even tho in SC you can lose off the first hit, due to small arenas and ring outs, lol.

SSBM rules are way, way more bizarre than the SC4 rules that people run with tho, makes no sense to me :lol

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
soakrates said:
Hilde isn't the reason SC4 sucks. It's because the frame data in that game is utterly whacked out. At least that was my main problem with it. Way too much attacking at disadvantage and far too many unsafe moves for my taste. FFS, the game has guard crush moves that can be punished on block. Not to mention that Maxi, my main since SC1, was pretty much worthless.
He was pretty much worthless in SC2 as well. The poor man dealt what? 70 damage at best?

The guard crushes are pretty silly though. Seems like the main point for 'em in the developer's mind was dealing gauge damage this time around.

It's both sad and kinda hilarious to find out that Hilde's been banned. I'm sure some places will still allow her in tourneys though.
It pretty much came down to Jaxel saying "I'm sick of this endless debate. These are the tournament rules. Follow them."

Ceirnian, one of the guys who pretty much invented Hilde, was one of my sparring partners back when I played SC4. He would usually wreck me pretty bad, but the better players in NorCal did well against him a good portion of the time.
Seemed like most of NorCal abandoned the game because of Cern's Hilde judging by the comments on 8WR. (KrazyeCD was always saying Hilde was too good etc.)

UC1 said:
If the ban-happy people running SC4 tourneys were running SF4, they would ban Sagat outright, and ban Akuma, Abel, Chun and Fuerte's (etc) loops. edit: even tho in SC you can lose off the first hit, due to small arenas and ring outs, lol.
Only against Hilde. Maybe Kilik if you're dumb enough to stand there and let him walk up and catch you with a monument throw to Asura juggle...

CPS2

Nah there's tonnes of other stuff, esp on the raft stage. Asta's 22[A+B] and Yoshi's whatever into 3B into 44B~B (or however you write it) does the same thing as Hilde's stuff on small stages.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
yeah yeah, everyone loves this thread but i know everyone is all hugs and kisses when it gets down to it!!

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
UC1 said:
Nah there's tonnes of other stuff, esp on the raft stage. Asta's 22[A+B] and Yoshi's whatever into 3B into 44B~B (or however you write it) does the same thing as Hilde's stuff on small stages.
Not from the center. They do have some good range, but they aren't quite that good IIRC.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
arstal said:
Which means it's Capcom's Last Blade 2.

As for the SCIV stuff- Hilde has combos that can kill you in one hit via ringout from the middle of most open stages.

The fanservicey stuff, I don't agree with it, but people do shit on the game because of it.

Another thing that hurt the game is horrible online. Good online is a necessity for fighters these days, unless you're SFIV.

Hmm, didn't know the bolded.

Still don't understand if "fanservice" refers to the scantily clad women, the Star Wars characters, or what.

Oichi said:

yaaay, LoL

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
arstal said:
needs a Melty mention- it's huge in some spots.

In NC Melty gets more players then SF4.
yea there were ~60 people at the last NC tourny i went to and melty blood was getting looots of hype

Oichi

arstal said:
Curious on something- in Japanese arcades, what % of players really know how to play VF. There's gotta be scrubs in Japan right?

How many know how to fuzzy for example. (Not that is makes you good, but it's a staple technique at mid-level)

I would say a good 50% of players know how to play VF. The other 50% have an idea of how to play it but are missing key elements to their game. I would probably fall into the latter because in general I know how to play but I have a lot of holes in my knowledge base that need to get filled before I can be considered good.

WTF @ thread. Such dedication to piss off a particular fanbase has probably not ever been seen since Drinky Crow. And it's mod-endorsed just like him, too. :lol

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Oichi said:
I would say a good 50% of players know how to play VF. The other 50% have an idea of how to play it but are missing key elements to their game. I would probably fall into the latter because in general I know how to play but I have a lot of holes in my knowledge base that need to get filled before I can be considered good.

When you say missing key elements, do they attack in disadvantage all the time?

Problem with Hilde is that the starter for her doom combo gives her advantage on block and has autoGI (autoguard/parry) frames. And it's a circular move.

soakrates

Freshmaker said:
He was pretty much worthless in SC2 as well. The poor man dealt what? 70 damage at best?
He wasn't anywhere near as good as he was in SC1, where he was top tier, but in retrospect he was a lot better than most at the time seem to have thought, myself included. He had good pokes, pretty good anti-step, one of the best tech-crouch moves in the game, a great whiff punisher, some decent frame traps, some neat guard crush shenanigans, an awesome standing B, etc. You're right that he didn't do a lot of damage, but he was still viable. In SC4, Maxi has virtually no hope of winning if the opponent is a good player who knows the matchup. You're basically throwing up a prayer with every move.

The guard crushes are pretty silly though. Seems like the main point for 'em in the developer's mind was dealing gauge damage this time around.
Funny, considering the patch that was released for the game made soul crushes a lot more difficult.

It pretty much came down to Jaxel saying "I'm sick of this endless debate. These are the tournament rules. Follow them."
Kind of reaffirms my suspicion that the community was increasingly being overrun with scrubs who hadn't played fighting games much prior to SC4.

Seemed like most of NorCal abandoned the game because of Cern's Hilde judging by the comments on 8WR. (KrazyeCD was always saying Hilde was too good etc.)
Oh, trust me, we all thought she was way too good, but very few if any of us (Krayzie included) thought she should be banned or stopped playing the game because of it. It was mostly people being too busy or even moving away that caused them to "abandon" SC4. There is still the odd gathering every so often, as far as I know.

Oichi

arstal said:
When you say missing key elements, do they attack in disadvantage all the time?

That is one element, but not the only element. Kamaage, a top VF player, wrote this checklist for people who recently entered the title ranks in VF5R. I entered the title ranks last December so this checklist was very interesting to me, and it showed me where the flaws in my game are.

1. Do you know your own character's frames during natural hit, counterhit, and guard?
2. Do you know how to punish an opponent's main attacks optimally?
3. Are you attacking instead of throwing when you punish an attack?
4. Are you able to adapt when you are in minor disadvantage?
5. Are you able to remember your opponent's best throw and escape that?
6. Do you understand the triangle system? (attack, throw, block)
7. Have you mastered your character's max damage wall combo?

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
soakrates said:
Funny, considering the patch that was released for the game made soul crushes a lot more difficult.

Kind of reaffirms my suspicion that the community was increasingly being overrun with scrubs who hadn't played fighting games much prior to SC4.

Oh, trust me, we all thought she was way too good, but very few if any of us (Krayzie included) thought she should be banned or stopped playing the game because of it. It was mostly people being too busy or even moving away that caused them to "abandon" SC4. There is still the odd gathering every so often, as far as I know.

Yeah, SC4 had a LOT of scrubs. But it had plenty of good players also. It was the 2nd best selling fighting game this gen. That means a large community.

The question is (if, which I believe it will) SC5 is made, how much of that community will stay, especially if they try to make it more serious?

Wasn't a fan of CF being made more difficult. I'd rather have seen it buffed on some low tier chars.

Really, all SC5 needs to me is
-better balancing
-some + on block moves to encourage offense
-a little more variety on chars

that's it

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
The King Of Fighters love force representing !!!!
If i had a good english i would write the KOF section.

Also : Fighting GAF its so hot right now.
Mad hugs to FGAF !

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Hitokage said:
When I went to Lucky's in January Melty had less!
I went in feb and it was hopping. The SF4 tourny got paused because of player overlap, and the people running the event were all in the MB tourny. There was even a 20 dollar money match that whipped the place into a frenzy.

Was my first time at Lucky's and I plan to go again, although I really wish there were some kind of weeklies in NC. I didn't get to play much SF4 outside my tourny matches even though I was there for 6 hours and had to pay a cover.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
That place gets really crowded though. When I went some guy(pmoney, I think) brought his own ps3 and monitor and some of us camped out at the far end playing casuals until the actual tourney started. It was a ton of fun, and it probably would have been even better if I had slept more and brought something to eat.

More people needed to bring their own damn stick too. Yes, I use an HRAP1. Yes, the L buttons are on the left. Many runs to button config ensue. :/

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Hitokage said:
That place gets really crowded though. When I went some guy(pmoney, I think) brought his own ps3 and monitor and some of us camped out at the far end playing casuals until the actual tourney started. It was a ton of fun, and it probably would have been even better if I had slept more and brought something to eat.

More people needed to bring their own damn stick too. Yes, I use an HRAP1. Yes, the L buttons are on the left. Many runs to button config ensue. :/

:lol i know pmoney, he's a pretty nice guy. Him, Wes (akuma player), and Saisyu (runs gamefrog stuff in RDU) are the only NC players I've talked to. There is some big black guy who says he doesnt play SF4 but then hogs stations nonstop with guile at the two meetups I've gone to in NC (gamefrog and luckys).

Red Scarlet

Holy Order Sol said:
WTF @ thread. Such dedication to piss off a particular fanbase has probably not ever been seen since Drinky Crow. And it's mod-endorsed just like him, too. :lol

He asked no Smash being brought into the thread in his OP, just like if someone making a thread about Halo doesn't want Killzone comparisons or /Uncharted 2 in his thread. You may not see it, but lots of Smash people really do turn many fighting game threads into 'Smash vs ___'.

Why does the next tournament that has 3rd Strike have to be the last one down the road?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
bistromathics said:
:lol i know pmoney, he's a pretty nice guy. Him, Wes (akuma player), and Saisyu (runs gamefrog stuff in RDU) are the only NC players I've talked to. There is some big black guy who says he doesnt play SF4 but then hogs stations nonstop with guile at the two meetups I've gone to in NC (gamefrog and luckys).
I wonder if it's the same guy who absolutely styled me with Dudley when I tried scrubbing up the 3S tourney. Man, I suck at that game. :lol

Red Scarlet said:
He asked no Smash being brought into the thread in his OP, just like if someone making a thread about Halo doesn't want Killzone comparisons or /Uncharted 2 in his thread. You may not see it, but lots of Smash people really do turn many fighting game threads into 'Smash vs ___'.

I'm fine with this thread being what it is, it just seemed funny when keeping Oichi's previous thread in mind. But yeah, I've seen what you're talking about on other forums.

So, as someone looking to get into the world of competitive 2D fighters, is there a certain game to start on? Should I just pick up SSFIV when it comes out? I've always been big in to competitive gaming and I figure it's time to move into fighters. Thanks in advance.

SSFIV is likely to be like SFIV aka the American Dream of fighting games. Everyone thinks they have a chance and jumps in, so you might as well join the fun.

France will have their 1st SSFIV tournament on May 22nd-23rd. We expect a lot of bullshit shenanigans and never-to-be-seen again random things to screw with people's heads and embarrass us as we look back on them months later. :lol

First tournaments for a game are always fun.

Darkman M

Wow can't believe people are actually getting mad cause certain games were left out of the op, get over it nice thread!

CPS2

Holy Order Sol said:
First tournaments for a game are always fun.
I'm wondering if people will just stick with their SF4 mains for the first tourneys or switch straight away. tbh I probably won't switch right away.

Top Bottom