• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Officially Approved Competitive Fighting Game Thread

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Damn, didn't notice. XP

I'm still looking for the other in SRK. Someone else uploads stuff.

Would you consider a primer guide worth mentioning?

fubarduck

I'll do writeups on Melty Blood and Blazblue: Continuum Shift if they're not done by later on tonight.

I wouldn't mind writing up Gundam vs Gundam: Next (since my arcade is kind of the only place in the United States with the game) but I don't really consider it a traditional fighting game, so I'll leave it up to Oichi as to whether or or not it should be included.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Fersis said:
No footage huh?

I'm curious because I always wanned to face Wong in 98UM. I did in XI once, but I sucked at XI and only got to play it at tournies. too bad I haven't played any 98 in almost 18 months now.

So I always wanted to be good at MvC2 without button mashing, but I've just never gotten better. I don't think I was meant to play real fighters like Street Fighter.

Feel the Swift said:
So I always wanted to be good at MvC2 without button mashing, but I've just never gotten better. I don't think I was meant to play real fighters like Street Fighter.
what do you mean by that? IMO if you want to learn Marvel, learn how to play one of the top teams and move from there. Might I suggest Team Scrub (Sentinel/Cable/Commando)? You can learn a lot from playing that team.

And then, if you still find that you can't get good at SF or SF-style games, then you can always play a different game. There are tons of fighters out there, just find your niche.

viewtiful_dru said:
what do you mean by that? IMO if you want to learn Marvel, learn how to play one of the top teams and move from there. Might I suggest Team Scrub (Sentinel/Cable/Commando)? You can learn a lot from playing that team.

And then, if you still find that you can't get good at SF or SF-style games, then you can always play a different game. There are tons of fighters out there, just find your niche.
I just feel like if I want to be really good at a fighter I would need to invest in a stick because pulling off combos isn't easy with the 360 controller. I bought SFIV when it came out and tried to get better but I couldn't even complete all of the character trials because I just don't have correct timing to complete/cancel moves in quick succession. I practiced a lot too.

Feel the Swift said:
I just feel like if I want to be really good at a fighter I would need to invest in a stick because pulling off combos isn't easy with the 360 controller. I bought SFIV when it came out and tried to get better but I couldn't even complete all of the character trials because I just don't have correct timing to complete/cancel moves in quick succession. I practiced a lot too.

By practicing a lot you mean practice mode/challenge mode or actually playing people. By playing people I don't mean randoms online, you'll never learn anything except how to punish unsafe attacks (and how to get exposed to match-ups). It's not about what you can't do, it's about what you can do and build on your strengths from there. If there is one combo you know then stick with it until you can do it in your sleep, the next tricks will come naturally just by playing with a consistent group (those who can tell you what you're doing wrong/right).

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Nice thread! I've been following the competitive scene a lot more thanks to the release of SF4 and the increasing number of quality streams. Fighting games are definitely my favorite multiplayer genre, but I'm not particularly active in my area tournament-wise. I used to hold sessions a lot and attend local tourneys back when I was an undergrad though.

My series of choice is Calibur (all of 'em, though 1 and 2 are my favorites). I've also trained quite a bit in SF4, since there's so much comp for it around, but have dabbled in just about everything else (GGXX#R/Slash/AC, T5/DR, VF4:Evo, MB: ReAct/AC/AA, Naruto GNT3+4, you name it :lol ).

I just wanna second all the advice that finding a local group of people to play is the best way to learn a fighting game. It's all well and good that you can go online and read up on game mechanics and all the latest tricks and tactics, but nothing can replace learning for yourself by playing and discussing the game with sparring partners. If you don't have a local scene, try to introduce the genre to a friend - a friendly "rival" who's at the same skill level can do wonders for your motivation. And if you start to pull away skill-wise, share advice on how to counter your tactics and/or "reset" the playing field by learning a new character (if they start to pull away, then ask for help on countering their stuff, heh).

XenoRaven

Oh man. I can't view YouTube at work but something popped in my head this morning. Mock me if this is already common knowledge.

Listen to the music during the Ratio select or when the game is choosing the fight location in Capcom vs. SNK 2, and then go listen to "Take Me Out" by Franz Ferdinand.

I can't unhear it...

TreIII

Oichi said:
updated with hteng's picture and link!

Um, as for this... can you find a slightly smaller picture? :lol

Alright, here's a smaller one. :D

gvgn001.jpg

fubarduck said:
I wouldn't mind writing up Gundam vs Gundam: Next (since my arcade is kind of the only place in the United States with the game) but I don't really consider it a traditional fighting game, so I'll leave it up to Oichi as to whether or or not it should be included.

Already taken care of, last page. If you have more you would like to contribute though, I'd be glad to hear it.

It may not be "traditional" to a t, but to say the least, Ichi has no problem with it being posted. So in it goes. :D

Besides, it's my hope that the upcoming sequel will spark more interest.
Doubly so, if it stands to get a PS3 port, meaning more people will have a chance to play it and take it seriously.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
IMO Gundam VS and VO are pushing it but I feel they both possess enough similarities to traditional fighting games that I don't mind including them in this topic. Besides, both games don't get nearly enough recognition in other threads so this is a good place to hype them up. One of the arcades I frequent here in Osaka has their VF and SF4 machines right beside a couple of VOOT machines that are always getting play, so I really enjoy watching the good players during their tournies.:D

Edit: Oh and I'll probably make custom headers for the games since I want them to look all uniform and stuff, so don't sweat the images.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Question- does Battle Fantasia have any playerbase on PSN right now? Thinking about getting it to play something new until SSF comes out.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
arstal said:
Question- does Battle Fantasia have any playerbase on PSN right now? Thinking about getting it to play something new until SSF comes out.
KOF99 is on the PSN Store. ;)

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
arstal said:
KOF99 is one of the worst KOFs.
Wat?!!! MADNESS!!!
It isnt the best, but its pretty cool. (It has K' !)

toneroni

great thread Oichi! nice info for people outside of the SF4 thread... add MvC2 though! I mean what other fighter has people mm over 30k?! :D

TreIII

Fersis said:
Wat?!!! MADNESS!!!
It isnt the best, but its pretty cool. (It has K' !)

99 had a bad-ass OST, and was indeed the birthplace of some of the more interesting additions to the saga (basically, everybody new at that point, save for Bao :lol).

But beyond that, meh. Saying it's a better game than the fundamentally defunct 00 and even worse off 01 is not saying much. Play 02/UM if you really want a memorable "NESTS Saga" KOF game. :D

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
TreIII said:
99 had a bad-ass OST, and was indeed the birthplace of some of the more interesting additions to the saga (basically, everybody new at that point, save for Bao :lol).

But beyond that, meh. Saying it's a better game than the fundamentally defunct 00 and even worse off 01 is not saying much. Play 02/UM if you really want a memorable "NESTS Saga" KOF game. :D

How I rank the KOFs

The playable KOFs

98UM, 2k2UM, 95, XI, XII

The horribly broke KOFs

97, 99, 03, 00, 94, 96, 01

Oichi

There are a ton of streams this weekend! Check em out! Will add to the OP soon!

Vampire Savior
Vampire Savior/Hunter Tournament
Date: March 20th, 4pm Japan Time
Live Broadcast: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/sakamotosan

Street Fighter 4
Nagoya Street Battle, 3 on 3 Tournament
Date: March 21st, 12pm Japan Time
Live Broadcast: http://www.justin.tv/nsb_sf4
Info: This will be a warm-up tournament as many of the qualifiers for the big SF4 national tournament in Japan are also going to this tournament. It may be the last Nagoya Street Battle too, but we'll see what happens.

Virtua Fighter 5R
For the following tournaments, hit up http://www.versuscity.net/2010/02/28/vf5r-newton-cup-live-stream/ for info on how to register.

Game Chariot FC Cup 5 on 5
Date: March 20th, 2pm Japan Time
Live Broadcast: http://www.vfdojo.net/source/broadcast_introduction.php?id=118

Roppou 5 on 5 Tournament
Date: March 21st, 5:30pm Japan Time
Live Broadcast: http://www.vfdojo.net/source/broadcast_introduction.php?id=121

Bay Area Cup 3 on 3 Tournament
Date: March 22nd, 1pm Japan Time
Live Broadcast: http://www.vfdojo.net/source/broadcast_introduction.php?id=120

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
_dementia said:
Holy shit, Vampire Savior?
def catching that!

It's looking like our local tourney is running Vampire Savior- though only 1-2 people actually play it. Vampire Savior is like Guilty Gear without the defense to me.

Daigo loves Vampire Savior though. I do think this will be Capcom's next fighter.
Hoping we get all 18 chars, and slightly saner gameplay.

Fersis

arstal said:
How I rank the KOFs

The playable KOFs

98UM, 2k2UM, 95, XI, XII

The horribly broke KOFs

You have no soul.

Fersis

Ive never seen VS on a competitive level. Will be fun to watch.

Oichi

Just a reminder that the Vampire Hunter/Savior tournament streaming is going LIVE in about 90 minutes!

And the VF5 stream has already started! GO GO GO!

Fersis

So what can you guys tell me about the PS2 port of Garou? Does it have any extras?

Also: @ Oichi check your PMs.

arstal said:
How I rank the KOFs

The playable KOFs

98UM, 2k2UM, 95, XI, XII

The horribly broke KOFs

I agree completely with your " The playable KOFs" list with KOF98 being the pinnacle of the series, its still played alot here in Chinese arcades.

But I'd say;

THe horrible broken but still great fun to play KOFs are:

94,96,97. The NESTS games can burn in hell.

Edit-
I stopped playing competitively when KOF 99 came out. Stupid job

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
diarrhea_pangs said:
I agree completely with your " The playable KOFs" list with KOF98 being the pinnacle of the series, its still played alot here in Chinese arcades.

But I'd say;

THe horrible broken but still great fun to play KOFs are:

94,96,97. The NESTS games can burn in hell.

Edit-
I stopped playing competitively when KOF 99 came out. Stupid job

Did you guys get the Hero edition of 98UM? Were there any gameplay changes like a Krauser nerf?

Just remember locally we're having a VS tourney here. Gives me a reason to go if I'm up to it after work (getting off work at 8am and having to go back at midnight makes tournies a stupid idea)

Oichi

the Tekken 6 stream at Gamer's Vision has changed into a 3rd Strike ranbat! GO GO GO

Fersis

AAK said:
(sorry if old) So the Super Battle Opera preliminaries schedule has been released:

http://www.tougeki.com/schedule?week_id=&game_id=&area_id=&block_id=

So whoever is in Japan can check for details in their respective locations.

The games are:

SF4
Tekken 6 Bloodline Rebellion
Blazblue Continuum Shift
KOF 2002 UM
Virtua Fighter 5 R
Arcana 3
Guilty Gear XX A-Core
Sengoku Basara X
SF3 3rd Strike
The King Of Fighters XIII (1Vs1)
SSF2
Yup, theres a date yet?

AAK

Preliminaries run from May 1st to August 1st from that link. September is where the final showdown will take place.

Top Bottom