• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Officially Approved Competitive Fighting Game Thread

amirawk

Neo Member
Poor baby, last thread didn't go the way you wanted it to? ;_; It's okay, nobody's allowed to disagree with you in this thread, the mods said so.
And it's a good thing they did, otherwise you might have gotten grumpy again and been forced to make another thread!

Suggestion: instead of writing "game X sucks, say otherwise and you'll get banned lololol" in the OP, why didn't you say "please don't argue about what is/isn't zomghardcorecompetitive, just let everyone post tourneys/events/strategies for their fighter of choice"?

Then this might have been an amazing thread, instead of a good thread with a thinly-veiled troll OP in which you try to force your "officially approved" opinions on everyone else.

edit: damn, I was wondering whether to put
inb4 someone says "lololol u r allowed to talk about ur fighter of choice game X just isn't a fighter heehee"
after the second paragraph. Should have trusted my instincts.

edit edit: fuck you JWong you're too good

Tain

I'm not complaining that I can't post VOOT matches and Quake Live 1v1s.

Probably because I understand the kind of game that this thread is about and I don't make up statements that aren't there, I don't know.

edit: damn, I was wondering whether to put inb4 someone says "lololol u r allowed to talk about ur fighter of choice game X just isn't a fighter heehee" after the second paragraph. Should have trusted my instincts.

Doesn't mean much, wouldn't have stopped anything. heehee~

N4Us

JWong just won Marvel.

Also he won 02UM last night and it was kinda embarrassing, but after watching Japanese/Taiwan matches of the game for so long I guess I'm a bit biased.

Also it's almost SF4 finals

Red Scarlet

amirawk said:
Poor baby, last thread didn't go the way you wanted it to? ;_; It's okay, nobody's allowed to disagree with you in this thread, the mods said so.
And it's a good thing they did, otherwise you might have gotten grumpy again and been forced to make another thread!

Suggestion: instead of writing "game X sucks, say otherwise and you'll get banned lololol" in the OP, why didn't you say "please don't argue about what is/isn't zomghardcorecompetitive, just let everyone post tourneys/events/strategies for their fighter of choice"?

Then this might have been an amazing thread, instead of a good thread with a thinly-veiled troll OP in which you try to force your "officially approved" opinions on everyone else.

edit: damn, I was wondering whether to put
inb4 someone says "lololol u r allowed to talk about ur fighter of choice game X just isn't a fighter heehee"
after the second paragraph. Should have trusted my instincts.

edit edit: fuck you JWong you're too good

So you wait 2 years to make your first post, which is whining about this thread?

Anyone butthurt about Smash not being allowed in this thread after this post is getting booted for 3 months. That's the only way to stop people from whining about this or that game 'not being allowed' to be mentioned. By all means make a competitive Smash thread.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
N4Us said:
JWong just won Marvel.

Also he won 02UM last night and it was kinda embarrassing, but after watching Japanese/Taiwan matches of the game for so long I guess I'm a bit biased.

Also it's almost SF4 finals

Wong can play KOF. No one really plays KOF anymore in the South.

It doesn't help that the US KOF community cares more about cosplay then gameplay.

I think my 98UM Billy bored my local scene out of KOF.

So, i'm a bit of a "casual" I guess you could say when it comes to competitive fighting games...

(Well, I suck ass at them, and I don't play them much, but I enjoy them alot! :lol )

So I have a couple questions for you long time veterans out there:

How do you guys memorize all the moves a character can do? Is there a trick to it because it looks hard to me. :lol

When picking a joypad or whatever they're called, does money go the long way when making your decision?

Is "Button mashing" looked down upon?
(I'm sorry, i'm really new to the 'lingo' and whatnot. :lol )

K.Sabot

Justin missing his links. He must have been hibernating in West Coast.]

MMMMM THAT BALROG

Now THAT is why I love JWong.

Red Scarlet said:
By all means make a competitive Smash thread.

My name is The Take Out Bandit, and I approve this message!

Seriously, don't go throwing out "butthurt" and then crapping out a like butthurt diatribe.

Anyhow. . .

Random, but playing Super Robot Wars Harem Animu Endless Frontier; and interesting how this game has cribbed some of the timing mechanics for combo chains and cancels from fighting games.
Now if only they'd drop the overworld map, add visible enemies, and such - I would give a shit about RPG's again! :p

Man, I really need to find folks locally to play fighters against. For all the awesome god damn fighters out there that don't have online play. D:

udivision

Galactic Quail said:
How do you guys memorize all the moves a character can do? Is there a trick to it because it looks hard to me. :lol

I'm a casual myself, but tbh characters don't have many moves (I'm talking about street fighter). Learning when to use them and what combos into what is the real problemo.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Galactic Quail said:

One thing to remember is that you don't need to, and shouldn't try to memorize everything a character has from the getgo. Ease yourself into the process by focusing on one or two moves at a time if you're playing a 2D fighter, and maybe 3 or 5 moves if you're playing a 3D fighter. There are more moves to remember in a 3D fighter so that's why I bumped it up a little bit.

Coming into Virtua Fighter, what I did when I started learning the game was playing a lot of people but making it a point to use my 3 - 5 key moves that I wanted to remember during my matches. Once I was able to learn them and use them in the situations I wanted to, I was able to move on to other moves while using the moves I had remembered to give me a better chance at winning.

When picking a joypad or whatever they're called, does money go the long way when making your decision?

For me yes, but I guess it depends on the person and how serious they are about the game. If you are I would suggest getting a higher quality one that's more expensive, but if you're on the fence, then something that's a lot cheaper but not as good quality-wise wouldn't hurt. Ultimately it's up to you on how much time and money you want to invest.

IMO, button mashing without reason is looked down upon, but everyone mashes at some point, so if there's a reason why you're mashing, no one's going to hate. Watch Justin Wong vs Daigo at Evo when Daigo did that full parry... Justin was mashing like a madman lol.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Galactic Quail said:
Blindly mashing is looked down upon in the sense that you're usually hurting yourself by doing it. If your opponent knows you mash every time in a situation they can use it against you.

Galactic Quail said:

For 2D fighters, inputs are nearly universal. 236, 623, 214, 4136, 46 charge, 28 charge, 41236987, 236236 for supers, etc. I find 3D fighters take a whole lot more time to learn how to properly utilize a character's move list, but maybe that's just me. I don't really play 3D fighters besides VF, which I haven't played in over a year.

And yeah, don't button mash. That implies you are just mindlessly attacking without thinking about what you're doing. Take a character, get a decent grasp of their move list and learn what moves to use to punish your opponent when he gives you an opening. Learn when you're at a disadvantage and need to play defensively, and vice versa. And if your opponent is blocking a lot, throw them. Don't worry about it being "cheap." :D

Thanks to everyone who answered my questions! I appreciate it. :)

I actually forgot to explain, but I've wanted to get into Competitive Fighting now since i've seen many of you disscuss them for a while now. So yeah, thank you.

Especially the ones who clarified for me about how you guys memorize moves and whatnot. I'll try to take notes on that.

Hitokage said:
Blindly mashing is looked down upon in the sense that you're usually hurting yourself by doing it. If your opponent knows you mash every time in a situation they can use it against you.

really? how so?

Guys should also mention character types.

If you're comfortable with mashing starting off, there are characters for you in Chun Li, Blanka, and E.Honda if you're playing Street Fighter.

It's not a sure fire means of winning, but play styles for characters are, used to be, scaled to your comfort level as a player. A button press character is less of an entry curve for a new player as opposed to a motion / charge character.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Galactic Quail said:
really? how so?
Let's say I'm doing a blockstring or combo on you and you're mashing for a dp in case I mess up, I can just abruptly stop my combo and sit there while you go SHORYUKEN and then then fall for me to do even more damage on you.

Hitokage said:
Let's say I'm doing a blockstring or combo on you and you're mashing for a dp in case I mess up, I can just abruptly stop my combo and sit there while you go SHORYUKEN and then then fall for me to do even more damage on you.

So you're saying that you can simply stop and simply time a retaliation back if I were to pull that move?

edit -
ThetakeoutBandit said:

Hm, so should I go with practicing with characters with a more complex learning curve as opposed to a character that's easy to play with like in SF4?

Hitokage said:

I fall for this too much. God damn you easy SF4 reversals!

Galactic Quail said:
So you're saying that you can simply stop and simply time a retaliation back if I were to pull that move?

Yeah, basically. If he sees you sitting there blocking all of his jabs and light kicks, he may suddenly stop his combo and block for a moment because he's anticipating a reversal. So if you throw out a fat SRK, you're going to eat a ton of damage for missing it since it has a lot of recovery.

yeb

The Take Out Bandit said:
Guys should also mention character types.

If you're comfortable with mashing starting off, there are characters for you in Chun Li, Blanka, and E.Honda if you're playing Street Fighter.

It's not a sure fire means of winning, but play styles for characters are, used to be, scaled to your comfort level as a player. A button press character is less of an entry curve for a new player as opposed to a motion / charge character.
I'd totally disagree on that. If someone is 100% new to fighters and seriously mashes blindly, the last thing they need is to play a character that provides positive reinforcement for mashing. Those moves are meant to be used in specific circumstances, not literally mashed out whenever you panic. Beginners need to learn to press buttons deliberately.

I'd actually say that, whatever character type you play, the most important thing a beginner can have in SF is a really good anti-air normal move. It sounds simple, but it helps you learn basic spacing/zoning and encourages you to read and bait your opponent. The game doesn't really start until people stop jumping around constantly, and beginners could be frustrated by the execution involved in anti-air specials.

AAK

Galactic Quail said:

I mainly play Tekken and I barely need to memorize (unless I'm playing King/Anna/Nina for their multithrows). The main thing is to to understand the basics. One button does a kick, other does a punch, one moves forward, the other one makes me jump, but tapping that button makes me sidestep, etc. Then you find out the punch and kick buttons together does a grappling move. It's understanding simple stuff like this where I get my enjoyment (and somewhat skill) in fighting games.

It's just about getting the basics right. Even with combos, I never need to go around memorizing the different strings that need to chained to get XYZ amount of damage off a juggle. I first look at what moves recover fast to use in between the combo starter and combo ender and then I also look at what is fast but damaging to use in a combo ender. That's all there is to it.

Although you might get overwhelmed at the hunderds of moves each character has at their disposal, but the inputs are usually intuitive. If there is a move involving the character doing a 1,2 punch followed by a low kick... you'd intuitively know to dial the 2 different punch buttons followed by the kick and pressing the down directional key simultaneously. And 80% of the time, the input is exactly or extremely similar to what you intuitively thought what it'd be.

Again the only exception to the rule is grabs. So that's why grapplers like King, Armor King, Nina, Anna do need memorization to some extent.

KTallguy

Banned
Great thread, can't wait to play the new SF and VF. I wonder if they will finally release a console version of the new VF ...

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Galactic Quail said:
So I have a couple questions for you long time veterans out there:

1) You really don't have to memorize everything. The main thing is to look for useful moves, develop a core moveset and then revisit and possibly expand your core set of moves once you get more experienced with a character. Typically a good defense (which means using every defensive option, not just blocking) will carry you further than knowing the movelist inside and out.

This is also why hitting a strategy site and/or youtube is a good idea. You'll usually be able to streamline that learning process by seeing which moves more experienced players tend to prefer and how they fit together somewhat. This shrinks the movelist you need to learn, and it reduces your trial and error period.

2) Money's always somewhat in the back of the brain, but I'm mainly looking for a pad or stick that's responsive and will last more than a few months. (Cheap sticks tend to end up costing more in the long run when they break, so it's usually better to go for known quality rather than having to lay out yet more cash further on down the road.)

3) Button mashing's annoying just because there's usually no actual strategy to what the masher is doing. (If you're used to playing mind games with your opponent, this is especially jarring since you can't fool someone who's not thinking.) That said, mashing can actually help you figure out which moves are more useful so if you mash, try to pay attention to the stuff that works for you then try build your game off those moves rather than just popping online and rubbing a match out. :D

I'll also go ahead and say that if you want to learn a game as quickly as possible and improve quickly, hit up the relevant game's site and find some local experienced players to go and play with face to face. You'll get much better feedback, and that'll level you up much faster than you could hope for online or by yourself. Enter what tournaments you can as soon as you feel competent. You won't win, but nothing shows you the bar you have to reach like a full blown competitive venue. A tournament really helps define your goals for you.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
yeb said:
I'd totally disagree on that. If someone is 100% new to fighters and seriously mashes blindly, the last thing they need is to play a character that provides positive reinforcement for mashing. Those moves are meant to be used in specific circumstances, not literally mashed out whenever you panic. Beginners need to learn to press buttons deliberately.

I'd actually say that, whatever character type you play, the most important thing a beginner can have in SF is a really good anti-air normal move. It sounds simple, but it helps you learn basic spacing/zoning and encourages you to read and bait your opponent. The game doesn't really start until people stop jumping around constantly, and beginners could be frustrated by the execution involved in anti-air specials.

In that case, all newbies should be forced to play Samsho?

Wiseblade

yeb said:

So everyone should learn SF by using sim?

yeb

arstal said:
In that case, all newbies should be forced to play Samsho?
Wiseblade said:
So everyone should learn SF by using sim?
:lol No, newbies should learn SF by learning to anti-air reliably. That's step #1 in controlling space.

One of Gen's best anti-airs is also a good poke - there are a few times that I've tried to make people feel bad by fighting with nothing but c.HP. Learning the basics of SF is so basic that it's deceptive.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Truth in that.

KOF98 is a good fighter to learn the value of anti-air normals, as experts use them, and DPs aren't that great as anti-air in that game since the jumps are really fast.

Billy and Ralf are notorious for jumping straight air defense as well, which is another useful skill to learn as well.

hteng

Banned
Freshmaker said:
Soulcalibur:
Despite being forever stuck in Tekken's shadow, SC IV did manage to sell over 2 million copies. The game still retains its distinctive features like air control, guard impacts, and adds in criticial finishes just in case ring outs weren't considered enough of a one hit kill option.

Best Strategy Resource:
www.8wayrun.com
(The forums tend to be more up to date than the wiki.)
www.caliburforum.com
(Largely inactive now, but good resource for older SC info.)

Best Video Resource:
http://www.8wayrun.com/video.php

might I suggest another video reference?

http://www.youtube.com/user/GnouzCorp#p/u

also, we need a picture

soulcalibur-iv-20080229095927103_64.jpg

vulva

Also, if you're looking to get in to 2D fighters, what Oichi said is very true about learning 2 moves first, then introducing more. I'm not just saying this because every Ken abuses it, but I do think it's pretty important to get used to the dragon punch motion. It's an awkward one, arguably the most awkward of all the regular command attacks. If you can get really comfortable with that one then others will feel much easier overall.

/me still has srk troubles and sticks with charge characters because of it =(

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Wong won 02UM? Dayuuumn. @___@
Justin Won indeed. * Badum tish*

Great thread, the more links the better. I'm a casual player but if my boss knew how many tournies I've youtubed or streamed while at work...it wouldn't be pretty.

Happy Phantom said:
Also, if you're looking to get in to 2D fighters, what Oichi said is very true about learning 2 moves first, then introducing more. I'm not just saying this because every Ken abuses it, but I do think it's pretty important to get used to the dragon punch motion. It's an awkward one, arguably the most awkward of all the regular command attacks. If you can get really comfortable with that one then others will feel much easier overall.

/me still has srk troubles and sticks with charge characters because of it =(

this is the way I taught some people SF: I tell them to only use c.HP and hadouken.

that gives you the simplest strategy, throw hadoukens till the opponent jumps over one, and when they do, hit c.HP.

you learn a lot from this, since if you space the hadoukens badly, they can jump over one and hit you, but if you do it properly you get to hit them out of the air.

then I work in the sweep (c.HK) as a simple way to punish whiffed attacks.

and go from there

HiResDes

UC1 said:
I'm wondering if people will just stick with their SF4 mains for the first tourneys or switch straight away. tbh I probably won't switch right away.
With all of the nerfs people are going to be trying all sorts of options, and I expect to see a bunch of Dudleys, Juri's, and Cody's make a splash tournament wise.

yeb said:

No, no, no.

You're missing my point; or perhaps I didn't articulate it properly.

Think back to before SF was second nature, before you were traveling around and playing in tournaments. Back to when you first played and learned the game and all this stuff was daunting to learn.

Button press characters (Honda, Chun, Blanka) were easy to pick up.

I'm not saying "LOL PICK CHUN, MASH = WIN!"

I'm saying Chun Li will be an easy character, well used to be, to pick up with some decent combos and some accessible special moves that make her a good choice for a new player.

I dunno. I seem to recall most everybody in SF2 having a decent normal AA of some variety.

My favorites were always the crouching fierce of Guile, Ryu, Ken.

Anyhow, not trying to talk out of turn. You're a way better player than myself; but I think you may not be remembering the days when playing a fighting game was new to you.

TreIII

gvgn001.jpg

Gundam vs. Gundam NEXT

The latest entrant in the Capcom-made, Bamco-produced mecha action arcade series (or at least, until Gundam EXTREME Vs comes out later this year). 3D Arena, 2 v 2 matches are the name of the game, with an "unit cost" system that does more to make "tiers" an integral part of the game. :lol

Like in past games, GvGNEXT follows the same format: players choose a Mobile Suit and a pilot, then engage in a series of third-person battles with the opposition. Both sides have a "resource meter" of 6000 points to start with - to win, one must destroy enough enemy machines to deplete the enemy's gauge.

In short, a 1000-cost unit like a Dom could technically afford to die upwards of 6 times before his team's gauge is depleted, while a 3000-cost Gundam Unicorn could only die twice. In the case of the gauge not having enough to fully support the cost of a 2000-3000 unit, that results in a "COST OVER", which proportionately reduces the HP of the unit to account for whatever remains on your own gauge. No matter which type of unit you choose, the name of the game is to cooperate with your partner in order to claim victory.

In the years since the Gundam Vs. series has been on the scene (starting with Federation vs. Zeon back in 2000), the series has emerged as a veritable power-house in East Asian arcades, running neck to neck with Tekken on Arcadia Ranking polls. Whether you are a hardcore Gundam fan, or just like the idea of robots blowing each other up in stylish, Capcom fashion, there's a good deal to like here.

Strategy resource:
Believe it or not,
GameFAQs

Video resources:
Sabator's account on Youtube
NicoNico stuff
"NO MORE HEROES" Combo Video
God Gundam Combo Video
"Pleather For Breakfast" Combo Video
Don't have a Nico account? Use MMCafe's by-pass

Other:
Japanese Wiki

Just going to say very impressed w Blaz Blu Portable. Nothing besides 3d to 2d backgrounds, lower Rez character sprites, and no online has changed. It's crazy how close it is to the console release.

One plus is now stuff can be unlocked with points which was needed in my opinion.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
HiResDes said:
With all of the nerfs people are going to be trying all sorts of options, and I expect to see a bunch of Dudleys, Juri's, and Cody's make a splash tournament wise.

Dudley won't win that many tourneys- calling it now.

He'll be a good char that dies to a counterpick.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
gutter_trash said:
Dhalsim, Seth, Zangief.... I am calling them as Dudley's troubles

Other possibilities: Honda, Hawk, Fuerte.

If he owns Ryu hard but loses to some of these, he'll be one of my fav chars, even if I never play him, just for forcing Ryu players to have to learn someone else.

Wiseblade

arstal said:

If he owns Ryu hard but loses to some of these, he'll be one of my fav chars, even if I never play him, just for forcing Ryu players to have to learn someone else.

I dunno. depending how good Dudley's anti air options are, it could turn out even. I think Fuerte's going to be a force to be reckoned with in Super. with stamina and damage nerfs to a lot of his tougher matchups, I'd expect to see him get further in tournaments more often.

Swittcher

Banned
I used to play a MEAN Jago back in the day. :lol

I've really lost my competitive spirit, cuz almost all of my friends have leap-frogged me so much since IV came out, that it's just embarrassing for me.

arstal said:

Yeah because maining a single character is so wrong. In France we don't get to change characters at all during most tournaments.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Wiseblade said:
I dunno. depending how good Dudley's anti air options are, it could turn out even. I think Fuerte's going to be a force to be reckoned with in Super. with stamina and damage nerfs to a lot of his tougher matchups, I'd expect to see him get further in tournaments more often.

My thinking- how is Dudley going to catch Fuerte? If Fuerte is willing to bore Dudley to death, I can see Fuerte being able to get a tiny lead and runaway the whole round.

Holy Order Sol said:
Yeah because maining a single character is so wrong. In France we don't get to change characters at all during most tournaments.

All of the other chars in SF4 had to suck up bad matchups, Ryu and Sagat, especially Ryu, didn't.

This is one of the main reasons my online random matches were 80% those two characters.
It's bad when Ken is a breath of fresh air.

Top Bottom