• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OG Xbox Appreciation and Lack of Emulation Thread of the big black box of doom

A better idea of the collection (still not everything of course, but closer hah)

Games:
bB2uepz.jpg
Where did you get your games shelf?

How so? Xbox is the one system i've never looked into worthwhile imports (assuming there wouldnt be any aside from Metal Wolf Chaos).

You can software mod to unlock the region using only an action replay and Splinter Cell or Mechassault. This was years ago, so I'm not sure if there's an even more efficient way now.

Shenzakai

Banned
A better idea of the collection (still not everything of course, but closer hah)

Games:
bB2uepz.jpg

Prototypes at the top, orange Xbox is my painted modded one that Ive had since 2002, smoke Xbox, Kasumi blue, one standard black is a refurb unit, one is a Japanese unit, and another is the prototype "Live Enabled" one.
NVik52n.jpg

4 standard debugs (one without the text), two DVT3s, two DVT4s, a black debug, the prototype debug from last page, plus the alpha kit just sneaking in on the bottom of the picture. Can also see a certain 360, Gamecube, and PS2 dev units that were below the previous picture.
DB0BIVL.jpg

Man, if someone really deserves the title "True Xbox Enthusiast" than it would be definitely YOU! Awesome collection!

Pictures I took when I toured the factory in China where the original Xbox was manufactured. There was a display cabinet with some items of interest as well as celebratory photographs of the team when the shipped the 1st and 1 millionth Xbox. Apologies for the poor quality but they had to be stealth shots.

Borman

Where did you get your games shelf?

Ikea! All three are the same. I need to pick up some more shelves to go into them, perhaps in a week or two.

Can't wait to get the kiosk unit up and going, have to decide if Im going to go with the original TV, or pop a PVM in.

Shame those Asian consoles seem to be missing the DVD bezel :p

Borman

So I decided to pick up my wife from work so we could grab lunch. Of course, there is a game store in the mall, so I had to stop. Fairly normal trip all things considered, grabbed a few games I needed/wanted to replace poor condition ones in the collection.

p8SPHo6.jpg

So I walk up to the register, and get in line to checkout when something catches my eyes. I figure it is a nice green controller S, or a Dreamcast controller, both of which would have been okay. But then I look.

QShmrLG.jpg

! And the price!

ZSvL7rf.jpg

They just used a standard black controller label. Pretty darn excited to say the least. No console in sight, but it gives me more reason to track it down.

goldenpp72

So i've been on a mission to collect great Xbox games and am looking to get advice on anything i'm missing? I only collect US releases and purposely don't own Forza and the later Tony Hawks btw. Here is what I have, any suggestions? Note I am aware a few of these aren't good but, collections sake I own them anyways :p

XIII
Advent Rising
Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance
Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance II
Beyond Good & Evil
Black
Blinx: The Time Sweeper
Blinx 2: Masters of Time & Space
Blood Omen 2
Breakdown
Brute Force
Burnout
Burnout 2: Point of Impact
Burnout 3: Takedown
Capcom Fighting Evolution
Capcom Vs. SNK 2 EO
Castlevania: Curse of Darkness
Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay
Conker Live & Reloaded
Crash Bandicoot: The Wratch of Cortex
Crash Bandicoot: Twinsanity
Crash Tag Team Racing
Crash Nitro Kart
Crazy Taxi 3: High Roller
Crimsons Skies: High Road to Revenge
Dance Dance Revolution Ultramix
Dance Dance Revolution Ultramix 2
Dance Dance Revolution Ultramix 3
Dance Dance Revolution Ultramix 4
Dead or Alive: Ultimate
Dead or Alive 3
Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball
Dino Crisis 3
Doom 3
Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil
Dues Ex: Invisible War
The Elders Scrolls III: Morrowind
The Elders Scrolls III: Morrowind GOTY Edition
Fable
Fatal Frame
Fatal Frame II
Freedom Fighters
Fuzion Frenzy
Genma Onimusha
Grabbed by the Ghoulies
Grand Theft Auto III
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Guilty Gear X2: The Midnight Carnival #Reloaded
Gunvalkyrie
Half Life 2
Halo
Halo 2
The House of the Dead III
Hunter: The Reckoning
Hunter: The Reckoning Redeemer
Jade Empire
Jet Set Radio Future
The King of Fighters: Neowave
Legacy of Kain: Defiance
Max Payne
Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
MechAssault
MechAssault 2: Lone Wolf
Mega Man Anniversary Collection
Metal Arms: Glitch in the System
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Metal Slug 3
Metal Slug 4 & 5
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance
Mortal Kombat: Deception
Mortal Kombat: Armageddon
Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks
Pac-Man World 2
Pac-Man World 3
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Gaiden Black
Oddworld Munch's Oddysee
Oddworld Stranger's Wrath
Otogi: Myth of Demons
Otogi 2: Immortal Warriors
Outrun 2
Outrun 2: Coast 2 Coast
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Phantasy Star Online: Episode I & II
Phantom Dust
Project Gotham Racing
Project Gotham Racing 2
Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy
Psychonauts
Quantum Redshift
Rayman Arena
Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc
Samurai Shodown V
Second Sight
Sega GT Online
Sega Soccer Slam
Serious Sam
Serious Sam II
Shadow the Hedgehog
Shenmue II
Sonic Heroes
Sonic Mega Collection Plus
Sonic Riders
Sphinx: and the Cursed Mummy
Splinter Cell
Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Splinter Cell: Double Agent
Turok: Evolution
Voodoo Vince
Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Tides of War
Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill 4
Silent Scope Complete
Soul Calibur II
Spikeout: Battlestreet
Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
Steel Battalion
Steel Battalion: Line of Contact
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection
Stubbs the Zombie: In Rebel Without a Pulse
Sudeki
Super Monkey Ball Deluxe
SVC Chaos - SNK Vs Capcom
Tetris Worlds
Timesplitters 2
Timesplitters Future Perfect
Toejam & Earl III: Mission to Earth
Tony Hawk 2x
Tony Hawk 3
Tony Hawk 4
Unreal II: The Awakening
Unreal Championship
Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict
Ultra Bust-a-Move
The Warriors
Worms 3D
Worms Forts Under Siege
Worms 4
X-Men Legends
X-Men Legends 2

Mzo

So i've been on a mission to collect great Xbox games and am looking to get advice on anything i'm missing? I only collect US releases and purposely don't own Forza and the later Tony Hawks btw. Here is what I have, any suggestions? Note I am aware a few of these aren't good but, collections sake I own them anyways :p

*cut list*

Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Full Spectrum Warrior and FSW: Ten Hammers, I-Ninja, Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb, Indigo Prophecy, Project Gotham Racing and especiall PGR 2, The Punisher, Spiderman 2, Turok: Evolution (lol), Vexx, Xyanide, and Yager.

These range from really good to pretty good to interesting to Turok.

flak57

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth if you are okay with games also on PC. It's a little pricey though.

Last edited:

kick51

Banned
Well, now you get to do this:

G980cRy.jpg

lol

i should actually play it some time

It also needs a copy of Sudeki to go with it.

XIII

I remember XIII being pretty cool. One of Ubi's trifecta of awesome games that bombed that year, iirc-- PoP:Sands of Time, BG+E, and XIII.

goldenpp72

Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Full Spectrum Warrior and FSW: Ten Hammers, I-Ninja, Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb, Indigo Prophecy, Project Gotham Racing and especiall PGR 2, The Punisher, Spiderman 2, Turok: Evolution (lol), Vexx, Xyanide, and Yager.

These range from really good to pretty good to interesting to Turok.

I'll put these in a doc and do some research on them later, along with Deathrow and Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth as mentioned by other posters :p

Xboxgaf_zps879f68fd.jpg

Finally managed to get one off craigslist for a good price ($15). Well OGXbox Gaf, what games should I get? Lol. Literally the most unacquainted Ive ever been with any gaming console, never owned one of these black beasts before.

Oh also grabbed Panzer Dragoon: Orta, never played a panzer Dragoon game either, any good?

Oh also grabbed Panzer Dragoon: Orta, never played a panzer Dragoon game either, any good?

They're all amazing. You're in for a real treat!

Anyway, I think my Xbox might have one of the bad disc drives. Some games that are in pretty much perfect condition won't be read by the Xbox. I've had four games at least so far that won't read (Karaoke Revolution, Midway Arcade Treasures vol. 1, NHL 2002, Shenmue II), but most games run just fine. I got the former two to run occasionally for a few minutes in the past, but then they stop working. The discs are all fine, and they worked on my other Xbox (which got a dead hard drive, so my friend gave me his extra Xbox), but not on this one.
I also sometimes I get loading and sound issues in some games. Sometimes, while I'm driving around in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, I'll get a huge black box that says that the game is loading...and it'll stay there for a few seconds to a few minutes. Bloody Roar Extreme has issues with loading up characters in the select screen sometimes, and the music will cut out for a bit while any sort of loading goes on. BloodRayne 2 will sometimes delay audio by quite a few seconds.

Most everything else runs just fine, though...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Finally managed to get one off craigslist for a good price ($15). Well OGXbox Gaf, what games should I get? Lol. Literally the most unacquainted Ive ever been with any gaming console, never owned one of these black beasts before.

Phantom Dust and Ninja Gaiden: Black.

Xenon

I was playing a next gen FPS, which I'll leave nameless, recently and came into an area that had some canvas curtains. They were solid as cardboard and only wiggled slightly. It reminded me of an old Xbox game that had a clear curtain that actually behaved more realistic and you could walk through. I could have sworn it was the first Splinter Cell but I could not find a video of it. I recall it being a pretty big deal back then. Anyone remember which game/level this was on? .

Teknoman

Ninja Gaiden is still breathtaking, especially the sound and encounter design.

Of course...the horse bosses still feel cheap to me.

Games:
bB2uepz.jpg

Prototypes at the top, orange Xbox is my painted modded one that Ive had since 2002, smoke Xbox, Kasumi blue, one standard black is a refurb unit, one is a Japanese unit, and another is the prototype "Live Enabled" one.
NVik52n.jpg

4 standard debugs (one without the text), two DVT3s, two DVT4s, a black debug, the prototype debug from last page, plus the alpha kit just sneaking in on the bottom of the picture. Can also see a certain 360, Gamecube, and PS2 dev units that were below the previous picture.
DB0BIVL.jpg

Confirm or Deny, this is you?
jallardinterview.jpg

kick51

Banned
Ninja Gaiden is still breathtaking, especially the sound and encounter design.

Of course...the horse bosses still feel cheap to me.

the hit boxes on those spears!

I'm replaying the original non-black release, everything is all fucked up and I suck at this game again. i am on hard mode and going for perfect fight timers, but still! I can beat Black in 5 hours, but there are slight differences that are getting me killed.

I was playing a next gen FPS, which I'll leave nameless, recently and came into an area that had some canvas curtains. They were solid as cardboard and only wiggled slightly. It reminded me of an old Xbox game that had a clear curtain that actually behaved more realistic and you could walk through. I could have sworn it was the first Splinter Cell but I could not find a video of it. I recall it being a pretty big deal back then. Anyone remember which game/level this was on? .

I remember that from the first Splinter Cell. IIRC it was a plastic drop on a restaurant cooler/freezer, whatever level that was.

koopas

Seeing that J Allard photo reminds me of how much better looking he became during the course of the Xbox launches lol.

Dai101

Banned
HI!

Anyone knows of a good replacement for a busted DVD drive? I remember back in the day you could flash an off the shelf DVD-ROM and put it there. I've a busted unit and no junk to test, it gives me a 12 Error.

Borman

Bad quality picture, but I managed to find this at the same game store as the duke:
i0q5bdF.jpg

Halo display case that was (rumored to be) recalled due to MS shipping it before it had an official rating. Just has a standard Halo disk, but I dont think it shipped with Halo in it, thus the display part hah. Relatively desirable in the Halo world, so I popped it into a protective case too until I figure out what to do with it.

I'd hold on to it if I was in that position, just as a collector's oddity. I know display boxes are practically worthless for other systems like SNES. Would have figured the same for this.

Borman

Na, Halo fans tend to take things a bit out of control, and this is one of those ones that don't come up often. At the very least, it's good trade material. I don't think it's one of those things that I -need- to have in my collection, like some other things hah

So I found a complete copy of Barbie Horse Adventures at some game store this weekend for $5. When I went up to the counter to buy it, the guy just stared at me and was like "do you have a daughter?" I just laughed and said that I couldn't pass up a rare $40 game for $5 bucks and he just smirked and went over to one of his co-workers and they were just cracking up about the whole thing.

I mean, this dude had a My Little Pony shirt on...don't judge my purchases you little brony shit. :(

/rant

Fox Mulder

So I found a complete copy of Barbie Horse Adventures at some game store this weekend for $5. When I went up to the counter to buy it, the guy just stared at me and was like "do you have a daughter?" I just laughed and said that I couldn't pass up a rare $40 game for $5 bucks and he just smirked and went over to one of his co-workers and they were just cracking up about the whole thing.

I mean, this dude had a My Little Pony shirt on...don't judge my purchases you little brony shit. :(

/rant

I saw it at goodwill the other day and bought grabbed by the ghoulies and a horse racing game instead.

I should just grab all the games I see at these places since they're like $1.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Finally got this today:

Which is great, because my only Xbox controller was a Duke, with really hard to press triggers and with a left trigger that would sometimes randomly activate. Not ideal for Tony Hawk's Pro Skater.

So, I bought my first Xbox controller since 2001, and I was able to get it in the color I wanted. Felt like I lucked out, getting a real one instead of a knockoff, because I bought it from an Amazon 3rd party and there was no description... but the price was like half of anything else I'd seen. Nice to have that work out for once.

Also got Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 and Shenmue II in the last week, so that's pretty rad. Haven't opened either of them, though, because I was waiting for this to show up.

A few months back I pulled the black box O' doom out of the box I keep it in and it boots up fine, but won't read discs anymore. I've handled it with kid gloves, so not sure whats up with it. Could it be the laser lens needs a cleaning?

Any suggestions on what to do without opening it would be appreciated. I'm more than capable of doing so, but I'd rather not open it if I don't have to.

goldenpp72

A few months back I pulled the black box O' doom out of the box I keep it in and it boots up fine, but won't read discs anymore. I've handled it with kid gloves, so not sure whats up with it. Could it be the laser lens needs a cleaning?

Any suggestions on what to do without opening it would be appreciated. I'm more than capable of doing so, but I'd rather not open it if I don't have to.

It could be, but if it makes you feel better, replacing the drive in an Xbox was super easy for me, and I have no skill in that sort of thing. Just a basic task even a child could figure out most likely, assuming they still sell nice condition drives online.

bender

What time is it?

Probably a Thomson drive. Those were notorious for failures and didn't read discs as fast as the Samsungu and Phillips drives.

Probably a Thomson drive. Those were notorious for failures and didn't read discs as fast as the Samsungu and Phillips drives.

It could be, but if it makes you feel better, replacing the drive in an Xbox was super easy for me, and I have no skill in that sort of thing. Just a basic task even a child could figure out most likely, assuming they still sell nice condition drives online.

Thanks for the quick feedback! Ah snap, haha. I'll go look up the exact model number, maybe it will tell what type of drive it has. Its a model that came with the type S controller, which I picked up around the time Halo 2 came out.

Great thread, OP - though I'm notably LTTP on it.

Halo
Halobox.jpg

Halo defined the shooter on consoles. Bungie was PC royalty, and them being bought out by MS in order to launch the Xbox changed the face of gaming. Yeah, Goldeneye was popular, but Halo controlled with a level of fluidity that earlier FPSes could only dream of. That and, repetition and all, its Single-player campaign was pure magic, mix that in with couch coop, up to 16 player lan style multiplayer, and mind blowing graphics for the time, and console gaming would never be the same.

Still remember playing it on launch day. And it just completely blowing our fucking minds.

Shenmue II

220px-ShenmueIIxboxcover.jpg

Game of the forever. Yeah, it came out on dreamcast, and yeah, that one was subtitled. But if you were in the US, this was what you needed to play. It was Shenmue one, with a lot more scope, and a little less detail. This was the game that turned the Shenmue Defense Force into the rabid lunatics that we continue to be today. Shenmue was the appetizer, this was when we realized the sheer depths of insanity that Yu Suzuki was willing to dive into to give us his magnum opus. No other game would touch the ambition of this title again.

Real men imported this and played it on Dreamcast, but I appreciate the effort.

Panzer Dragoon Orta
256px-Panzercover.jpg

This game came out nearly 11 years ago. It still looks fantastic. How they pulled these graphics off two gens ago I will never know. Smilebit was at the top of its game during the Xbox, and it showed. Take Zwei, crank it up to 11, and you get this. One of the best rail shooters of all time. It should have sold better. People suck.

Aaaaand the real reason we eventually bought an Xbox. At the end of the day, I think Orta is still lesser Panzer, but it is Panzer nonetheless. Absolutely stunning art direction and music, and as the series does, plays like a dream.

bender

What time is it?
Thanks for the quick feedback! Ah snap, haha. I'll go look up the exact model number, maybe it will tell what type of drive it has. Its a model that came with the type S controller, which I picked up around the time Halo 2 came out.

They used different drives throughout the life cycle of the console. Just Google image search "Xbox DVD Version Comparison" and the first result compares the three. It is easy to determine based on the disc tray.

Top Bottom