• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OG Xbox Appreciation and Lack of Emulation Thread of the big black box of doom

They used different drives throughout the life cycle of the console. Just Google image search "Xbox DVD Version Comparison" and the first result compares the three. It is easy to determine based on the disc tray.

Thanks, I found the info easily. I don't have the power cables available so I'll check tomorrow. BTW the mfg date is 2004-06-25, can't believe I've had it for this long.

Bed time, thanks again!

I want to add a few more racing games to my Xbox collection, and currently looking at Auto Modellista. Is there a reason to the game being more rare/expensive than the PS2 version? Anything exclusive/better?

P.S.: I am re-organizing my retro collection and should start soon to post some pictures.

Sorry that I never got to this sooner. The xbox version of auto modellista added in live play, something the ps2 version was suppose to have before a LOT of content was cut from the game for unknown reasons. From memory the game runs the same as ps2 and I don't think any visuals were added in.

I own the game on xbox but it's an ntsc copy and I live in the uk yet it plays on my OG xbox, but sometimes it will flat out refuse to see the disc in the drive for a few attempts.

^IIRC the North American version of Automodellista had more cars than the original Japanese version. In Japan a second version came out with all the North American additions.

Sorry that I never got to this sooner. The xbox version of auto modellista added in live play, something the ps2 version was suppose to have before a LOT of content was cut from the game for unknown reasons. From memory the game runs the same as ps2 and I don't think any visuals were added in.

I own the game on xbox but it's an ntsc copy and I live in the uk yet it plays on my OG xbox, but sometimes it will flat out refuse to see the disc in the drive for a few attempts.

The content (aside from Live play) was cut off from the Xbox version as well? I gave up trying ebay and ordered a sealed copy from Amazon marketplace. Let's see how it ends (never made an international order from a privete seller there).

Last weekend I was cleaning my Xbox collection. I will take pictures from it this weekend and post here. Small, but getting bigger.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Aaaaand the real reason we eventually bought an Xbox. At the end of the day, I think Orta is still lesser Panzer, but it is Panzer nonetheless. Absolutely stunning art direction and music, and as the series does, plays like a dream.
Lesser Panzer...? It's the best game in the series, Saga included.

MattyH

finally got round to fixing my OG Crystal (ide cable had become damaged while putting it in my attic a few years back) looking forward to playing armed and dangerous again just gotta get a new Controller and a component cable

Borman

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?44462-Open-Source-Xbox-Live

over at ASSEMBLER games they're trying to see if they can revive the original Xbox Live (like how Phantasy Star Online & Resident Evil Outbreak were brought back online via open servers). If anyone here has the knowledge to help them out (I don't), then PLEASE do. I would do anything to play my original Xbox games online again, haha.

Sadly such a thing is way off. If the leaked XBL source code could get a little more leaky, it would help greatly. PSO and REO are simple comparatively

The content (aside from Live play) was cut off from the Xbox version as well? I gave up trying ebay and ordered a sealed copy from Amazon marketplace. Let's see how it ends (never made an international order from a privete seller there).

Last weekend I was cleaning my Xbox collection. I will take pictures from it this weekend and post here. Small, but getting bigger.

I think a dirt ring and something else was added but the game overall had a much bigger goal in mind, the devs must have been over their heads or strapped for time, this was also back when the ps2 modem was not out and this game was going to be one of the first to use it, maybe I can find a ps2 trailer somewhere.

tebunker

Banned
I just ordered Armed and Dangerous complete from Amazon used, complete, and fulfilled by Amazon for like 5 bucks shipped. Kind of excited to get this. I have built out a little bump of XBox games.

Gladius
Armed and Dangerous
Deus Ex: Invisible War

Fable
RalliSport Challenge
American McGee presents SCRAPLAND
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II
Conker: Live & Reloaded
Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
Dungeons & Dragons: Heroes
Kingdom Under Fire
MechAssault
Otogi
Phantom Dust

The Bolded ones are what I own so far minus some junk the rest is what I plan on collecting for the system. Not going fanatical just trying to stick with exclusives and games I know I will enjoy from time to time.

2219628-box_mwc.png

Sad that the most American game ever made never made it to America

Fox Mulder

I think a dirt ring and something else was added but the game overall had a much bigger goal in mind, the devs must have been over their heads or strapped for time, this was also back when the ps2 modem was not out and this game was going to be one of the first to use it, maybe I can find a ps2 trailer somewhere.

is it any good?

I found it at goodwill and never got around to playing it.

npa189

I played half way through Conker's bad fur day last weekend. That Xbox port just looked great, I even played it on an old CRT. That game's controls are teribad, but it was really fun to do a let's play of it at a raging party.

What are some great games for couch multiplayer? I already have Crash Nitro Kart, The Warriors, Deathrow and Spikeout. I'm thinking stuff other than FPSs.

I just made a list of Xbox games that I may include in my collection: it tops 200 games, from which I already have like 65. I will try to make the list smaller and more manageble, but I believe it is better to grab those games fast while they are reasonable cheap.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I just made a list of Xbox games that I may include in my collection: it tops 200 games, from which I already have like 65. I will try to make the list smaller and more manageble, but I believe it is better to grab those games fast while they are reasonable cheap.

I mean, yeah, now's the time to do it. Games are dirt cheap. There are a few exceptions, but I was able to nab like a dozen games last month, all still sealed, for like... not very much. Definitely better to do it now than wait for people to realize the Xbox was a cool system and start ratcheting up the prices... like with the Gamecube.

Still... I dunno how you came up with 200 games you want for the thing. I could see 30... maybe 40. But 200? Wow.

Still... I dunno how you came up with 200 games you want for the thing. I could see 30... maybe 40. But 200? Wow.

I looking at around 50 exclusives, 15 relevant imports, and the rest being some key 3rd parties (xbox being my 3rd party console that generation, not ps2) plus racing games (genre I like a lot).

I may reduce the list however. Let's see how my game hunting will turn out. I am pretty exigent when comes to my games, I either buy them sealed or if used it must come with all inserts.

This is the list (bold ones is the ones I already have):

Airforce Delta Storm
Amped
Amped 2
APEX
Auto Modellista
Azurik: Rise of Perathia
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II
Barbarian
The Bard's Tale
Battlestar Galactica
The Bible Game
Blinx: The Time Sweeper
Blinx 2: Masters of Time and Space
Blood Wake
Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon
Brute Force
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Chaos Bleeds
Burnout
Burnout 2: Point of Impact
Burnout 3: Takedown
Burnout Revenge
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Capcom Classics Collection Vol. 1
Capcom Classics Collection Vol. 2
Castlevania: Curse of Darkness
Circus Maximus: Chariot Wars
Cold Fear
Colin McRae Rally 04
Colin McRae Rally 2005
Colin McRae Rally 3
Conan
Conker: Live and Reloaded
Corvette
Crash 'n' Burn
Crazy Taxi 3: High Roller
Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
CSI: Crime Scene Investigation
Curious George
Curse: The Eye of Isis
Daemon Vector
Dead or Alive 3
Dead or Alive Ultimate
Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball
Dino Crisis 3
Dinosaur Hunting
Dinotopia: The Sunstone Odyssey
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
Drihoo [JP]
Enclave
Evil Dead: A Fistful of Boomstick
Evil Dead: Regeneration
Fable
Fatal Frame
Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly
Ford Bold Moves Street Racing
Ford Mustang: The Legend Lives
Ford Racing 2
Ford Racing 3
Ford vs. Chevy
Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone
Forza Motorsport
Fuzion Frenzy
Galleon
Gauntlet: Dark Legacy
Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows
Genma Onimusha
Ghost Master: The Gravenville Chronicles[EU]
Gotcha![EU]
Grabbed by the Ghoulies
Grooverider: Slot Car Thunder
Group S Challenge
Gun
Gunvalkyrie
The Guy Game
Halo: Combat Evolved
Halo 2
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
The Haunted Mansion
Hello Kitty: Roller Rescue
The House of the Dead III
Hummer Badlands
Hunter: The Reckoning
Hunter: The Reckoning: Redeemer
IHRA Drag Racing 2004
Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb
Indigo Prophecy
IndyCar Series
IndyCar Series 2005
Jacked[EU]
Jade Empire
Jet Set Radio Future
Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis
Kakuto Chojin
King Arthur
Knights of the Temple: Infernal Crusade[EU]
Kung Fu Chaos
Land of the Dead: Road to Fiddler's Green
Largo Winch: Empire Under Threat[EU]
Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude
Lotus Challenge
Mad Dash Racing
Malice
Mashed: Drive to Survive
Maximum Chase
Metal Wolf Chaos[JP]
Midtown Madness 3
MotoGP
MotoGP 2
MotoGP 3
N.U.D.E.@ Natural Ultimate Digital Experiment[JP]
NASCAR 06: Total Team Control
New Legends
NightCaster
NightCaster II: Equinox
Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Gaiden Black
ObsCure
Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
Otogi: Myth of Demons
Otogi 2: Immortal Warriors
Outlaw Golf
Outlaw Golf 2
Outlaw Golf: 9 Holes of X-Mas
Outlaw Golf: 9 More Holes of X-Mas
Outlaw Golf: Holiday Golf
Outlaw Tennis
Outlaw Volleyball
Outlaw Volleyball: Red Hot
OutRun 2
OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Elite Action: Fields of Glory[EU]
Petite Copter[JP]
Phantom Dust
Plus Plum 2[JP]
Pool Shark 2[EU]
Pro Race Driver
Project Gotham Racing
Project Gotham Racing 2
Psychonauts
Psyvariar 2[JP]
Puyo Pop: Fever
Quantum Redshift
R: Racing Evolution
Rallisport Challenge
Rallisport Challenge 2
Rally Fusion: Race of Champions
Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc
Rent-A-Hero No. 1[JP]
Richard Burns Rally
Rolling[EU]
S.C.A.R: Squadra Corse Alfa Romeo
Sega GT 2002
Sega GT Online
Shikigami no Shiro[JP]
Shikigami no Shiro Evolution red version[JP]
Shikigami no Shiro Evolution blue version[JP]
Shikigami no Shiro II[JP]
Sneakers
Soul Calibur II
Speed Kings
Spikeout: Battle Street
Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
Star Wars: Starfighter
Star Wars: Obi-Wan
Steel Battalion
Steel Battalion: Line of Contact
Still Life
Stubbs the Zombie in Rebel Without a Pulse
Sudeki
Super Monkey Ball Deluxe
Syberia
Syberia II
Tak: The Great Juju Challenge
Tak 2: The Staff of Dreams
Tao Feng: Fist of the Lotus
TD Overdrive[EU]
Teen Titans
Tenerezza[JP]
The Thing
Thousand Land[JP]
Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas: Oogie's Revenge
TOCA Race Driver 2: The Ultimate Racing Simulator
TOCA Race Driver 3
ToeJam & Earl III: Mission to Earth
Torino 2006
Tork: Prehistoric Punk
V-Rally 3
Voodoo Vince
Wallace & Gromit in Project Zoo
Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
The Warriors
Whacked!
Wings of War
World Racing
World Racing 2
Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions
X-Men Legends
X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse
XIII
Xyanide
Yager
Yetisports Arctic Adventure[EU]

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Sadly such a thing is way off. If the leaked XBL source code could get a little more leaky, it would help greatly. PSO and REO are simple comparatively

Wait PSOX is back online?

coldvein

Banned
BREAKDOWN is essential to any xbox collection in my opinion.
feel like that game never really got all the love it deserved..

LOL is Breakdown really not present in that giant list? It's no Tork I guess.

Ok, another one that I forgot. Adding. Keep in mind that I made that list during my launch break, it is no way definitive.

P.S.: regarding Tork I have a thing for old school platformers.

Edited: I am seeing that I forgot both MechAssaults and some other games... yeah, it will take time to gather that list.

iori9999

Banned
I have to agree the Xbox was basically the Dreamcast 2.. First 6th gen console to have quality online MP and the list of Sega titles available for the console.. I'm actually quite surprised at the 3rd part support MS got from it especially late in its life.. It was a good first effort from MS..

what.

Improved?

What is this?

I need to know.

Goddammit.

minor changes actually. Sumo Digital reworked the game for the japanese market, adding more detail to the bonus stages Scud Racer and Daytona (keep in mind that it not arcade perfect either, there are still some missing objects - no rollercoaster, no alien, and no waterfalls for Scud).

But more important: Clarissa with the more revealing/uncensored top! (like the arcade version and the japanese version of outrun 2006 for PS2).

The game got a small run in Japan. The prices skyrocketed soon. Around 2010-2011 it was like US$ 80 - US$ 100 for a used copy. The interest on the game is not that high however, and prices are now declining with time. Right now it is around US$ 55 - US$ 60 on ebay for a used copy. Got one for half that price.

Soup Bar

I finally got my OG Xbox fixed. I probably could have saved money by replacing the laser, but I decided to do a drive swap since it was easier. Now I need to get that HD pack. Why Microsoft decided not to put an optical out on the Xbox is anyone's guess. I should probably pick up the Tony Hawk games, since the only ones I ever put any time in was 1 and 2 on Dreamcast.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
minor changes actually. Sumo Digital reworked the game for the japanese market, adding more detail to the bonus stages Scud Racer and Daytona (keep in mind that it not arcade perfect either, there are still some missing objects - no rollercoaster, no alien, and no waterfalls for Scud).

But more important: Clarissa with the more revealing/uncensored top! (like the arcade version and the japanese version of outrun 2006 for PS2).

The game got a small run in Japan. The prices skyrocketed soon. Around 2010-2011 it was like US$ 80 - US$ 100 for a used copy. The interest on the game is not that high however, and prices are now declining with time. Right now it is around US$ 55 - US$ 60 on ebay for a used copy. Got one for half that price.

Oh, wow. I had no idea that was the case. Any idea if the Japanese version's got English menus? I like my slutted up race girls, but if I can't effectively play the challenge mode/enjoy the prize box anymore... well, that's too much of a buzzkill for me.

In any case, it's kinda interesting to find out stuff about Japanese Xbox games like this, because there's really not very much information about them out there. Guess I'm glad this thread exists.

And speaking of Japanese Xbox game differences, I think, but am not positive, that Metal Slug 3's Japanese release is the best version of that game. I like that the Xbox version of MS3 gets rid of all of the slowdown from the MVS original. That slowdown isn't supposed to be there, and it's a real nuisance. But, as we all know, the US release of the game starts you at the beginning of the level whenever you get a game over, which absolutely sucks in level 5. Well, I know for a fact that the Euro version of MS3 on Xbox does NOT do that. It restarts you right where you died, just like in the arcade version. I have a suspicion that the Japanese version probably operates the same way. I really need to nab the game to confirm that, though. In any case, it would be nice, since MS3 is one of my favorite arcade games ever, and it'd be nice to have a slowdown-free version of the game that works properly.

AzBat

Interesting offer for a free usb keyboard adapter, didn't know og Xbox had one but that beats the hell out of paying $80 for the GC keyboard!

I got one free even though I didn't own FSO. Just went to the website on that card. I think it's still around here I think. It has other uses than for USB a keyboard. :D

Top Bottom