• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OG Xbox Appreciation and Lack of Emulation Thread of the big black box of doom

Gunsmithx

Finally broke down and joined the family got a v1.1 with an S controller, system works great but the cable on the s is bad, seems easy to replace but is there a way to get them outside buy a broken controller?

Also after all my other retro stuff nice to have something so cheap to get games for. Now I need to hunt down an action replay to softmod it.

Borman

Been relatively quiet on my front lately. I picked up a system for my kiosk, but the guy removed the darn sticker that the kiosk system had right before shipping it (it was on the console in the pictures). Got a partial refund, but that deflated some of my hype.

Did get a NFR copy of Halo (from launch, not the bundle version), along with a copy of Outrun 2 so I have a complete version (had ordered stuff before, but it got lost). Just been rough all around.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Was it a pretty good beat em up? For that matter, how was Final Fight streetwise or Beatdown?

Neither of those games were good. There's a certain appeal to the stupidity of Final Fight: Streetwise's dialogue that's kind of enticing... and Beatdown is called Beatdown... but I don't think those things, on their own, warrant playing either game. Honestly, you'd be better off getting in fights in real life.

Danny Dudekisser

Looks like this is what's happening tonight:

ywiKJgt.jpg

Teknoman

Neither of those games were good. There's a certain appeal to the stupidity of Final Fight: Streetwise's dialogue that's kind of enticing... and Beatdown is called Beatdown... but I don't think those things, on their own, warrant playing either game. Honestly, you'd be better off getting in fights in real life.

lol I guess i'll just stick with Spikeout and Breakdown.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 is one of my favorite games ever. You made the right call getting it.

I have the PlayStation 2 version, though. I've been tempted to get the Xbox version for the Oil Rig level. I did buy all of the other Tony Hawk games for the Xbox besides that, American Wasteland, and Project 8, though. I got the latter on Xbox 360. I still don't own American Wasteland, though, unless you want to count the DS equivalent, American Sk8land.

2 and 3 are my favorites. 4 is great, too. The rest vary in quality, but are all enjoyable.

Danny Dudekisser

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 is one of my favorite games ever. You made the right call getting it.

I have the PlayStation 2 version, though. I've been tempted to get the Xbox version for the Oil Rig level. I did buy all of the other Tony Hawk games for the Xbox besides that, American Wasteland, and Project 8, though. I got the latter on Xbox 360. I still don't own American Wasteland, though, unless you want to count the DS equivalent, American Sk8land.

2 and 3 are my favorites. 4 is great, too. The rest vary in quality, but are all enjoyable.

I blew through the game in one sitting. It's as good as I remember. I unlocked the Oil Rig level, but haven't gotten around to actually playing it yet.

The sound quality on the Xbox seems really, really good... I haven't played the ps2 version in years, but I swear this version sounds better. I should do a side by side if I have the chance.

Danny Dudekisser

Honestly, I think your best bet is to just check amazon's third party sellers every now and then. I got mine for $50, and that was a deal... Sadly enough. They're pricey these days.

Honestly, I think your best bet is to just check amazon's third party sellers every now and then. I got mine for $50, and that was a deal... Sadly enough. They're pricey these days.

Yikes didnt know the price was that steep :( Might have to buy a used one at that price, though the idea of used controllers bothers me due to potential wear/tear
and epidermal gunk from another slimy pair of mitts!.

Thanks for enlightening me though.

Soup Bar

I never could figure out why the Tony Hawk games never supported Xbox Live. I guess 4 came out before XBL launched but what about the THUG series?

Man I loved the xbox, the exclusives were gems (halo, panzer dragoon, JSRF, mech assault, shenmue II, jade empire, fable, ninja gaiden, DOA3/U)

Danny Dudekisser

Yikes didnt know the price was that steep :( Might have to buy a used one at that price, though the idea of used controllers bothers me due to potential wear/tear
and epidermal gunk from another slimy pair of mitts!.

Thanks for enlightening me though.

Yeah, with a system that had Dead or Alive: Xtreme Beach Volleyball and BMX XXX, I would be VERY careful about buying used controllers.

Sperm.

Soup Bar

That is weird. The PS2 versions had online play, right? I know for sure 3 did.

Yeah 3 came out before the ps2 broadband adapter was available. The first Tony Hawk game that supported XBL was American Wasteland, which also came out for 360. I don't know if Activision had some kind of deal with Sony, or wanted to run their own servers like EA.

I keep hearing about how underrated/cool "Phantom Dust" is, is it actually a good game particularly for one who loves narratives (since I've heard this one has a grim post-apocalyptic tale, my favorite tone :)

yeah you will probably like the plot
this video covers it well without giving everything away
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWa9t0Sqt6Q

HA FUNNY I literally just watched this yesterday and that's what inspired me to ask it here! Well looks like he wasn't wrong, now the matter of securing a copy at a good price.

Off topic: The creator of that vid has a good talent, really hope he continues, enjoyed his Onimusha vids too!

Welp, went to my areas local gamestore and they happened to have had a copy of Phantom Dust and a great condition S controller! Usually specialty stores like this charge above ebay but they guy hooked me up! Also Enter the Matrix....because why the fuck not.

PhantomdustandmoreMarch2014_zpse5c0d20a.jpeg

Also enter the Matrix scales to 720p! Pretty impressive, regardless of the reputation of the game Its actually pretty fun!

The Xbox is quickly becoming one of my favorite systems to collect for, really like the concentration of underrated gems/superior ports. Speaking of is Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams worth picking up on xbox rather than ps2
(i've...never played a Silent Hill all the way thru, please dont kill me!)

Also sorry for the Double post

Danny Dudekisser

PS2 version was better. The greatest hits version has the Restless Dreams content, and the Xbox version has a few issues. Some of the graphical effects didn't translate over quite right (though it does look better in parts) and the audio quality is dramatically better on the PS2... which, for a game that's all about atmosphere, is worth noting.

It's one of the few games that wasn't better on Xbox.

Yeah I'd recommend SH2 on Xbox

PS2 version was better. The greatest hits version has the Restless Dreams content, and the Xbox version has a few issues. Some of the graphical effects didn't translate over quite right (though it does look better in parts) and the audio quality is dramatically better on the PS2... which, for a game that's all about atmosphere, is worth noting.

It's one of the few games that wasn't better on Xbox.

Damn these are conflicting! I really want to make my Xbox a horror/up ressed ports of ps2 box now that I think about it, what with Fatal Frame 1 and 2, SH2, Doom 3, etc. (any others I should look out for?) seeing as though I missed these back at release....though the audio comment almost instantly pushes me to pursue a ps2 copy of SH2.

EDIT: Also I was one of the sorry few who had their first experience with Silent Hill thru the HD collection....was very disappointing with glaring visual glitches/lack of the famous fog that's reputed to be one of the landmark motifs of the series

koopas

Damn these are conflicting! I really want to make my Xbox a horror/up ressed ports of ps2 box now that I think about it, what with Fatal Frame 1 and 2, SH2, Doom 3, etc. (any others I should look out for?) seeing as though I missed these back at release....though the audio comment almost instantly pushes me to pursue a ps2 copy of SH2.
Now I've never played it prior but I had a completely competent playthrough of the PS3 remaster of SH2 post-patch. Maybe not the response your looking for but I didn't notice any hiccups contrary to popular opinion.

Now I've never played it prior but I had a completely competent playthrough of the PS3 remaster of SH2 post-patch. Maybe not the response your looking for but I didn't notice any hiccups contrary to popular opinion.

I got it at launch. Maybe they fixed it but idk I feel burned for the HD iteration after shelling the money for the game after seeing all the errors.

I have a weird tech question that I'd appreciate if you guys could possibly clarify:

SO I'm trying to get 5.1 Dolby Digital out of the Xbox to output to my Astro A50s, obviously there is no digital optical nor USB out on the OG Xbox so would plugging my A50's into my TV (my tv has a digital optical out) to relay the Xbox audio produce 5.1? Or would it merely be headphone stereo, the same as plugging in earbud jacks into a standard TV audio jack?

Really weird question I know but I want to enjoy the 5.1 capabilities of the system via my A50s :)

I have a weird tech question that I'd appreciate if you guys could possibly clarify:

SO I'm trying to get 5.1 Dolby Digital out of the Xbox to output to my Astro A50s, obviously there is no digital optical nor USB out on the OG Xbox so would plugging my A50's into my TV (my tv has a digital optical out) to relay the Xbox audio produce 5.1? Or would it merely be headphone stereo, the same as plugging in earbud jacks into a standard TV audio jack?

Really weird question I know but I want to enjoy the 5.1 capabilities of the system via my A50s :)

The Xbox does have optical digital output, but you'll need one of these:

Both will add one, and it's the only way to get Dolby Digital 5.1 out of an Xbox.

The Advanced AV Pack has S-Video and composite video output, and the High Definition AV Pack has component video out. Both have analog and digital audio outputs.

The Xbox does have optical digital output, but you'll need one of these:

Both will add one, and it's the only way to get Dolby Digital 5.1 out of an Xbox.

The Advanced AV Pack has S-Video and composite video output, and the High Definition AV Pack has component video out. Both have analog and digital audio outputs.

Huh had no clue this existed! Thanks alot! But I'm kind of confused now looking at the pic. How exactly are the component cables connected to the TV? Does it come with double sided component cables to connect from the AV pack inputs to the tv inputs if you understand what I'm asking, or am I missing entirely how these would be setup?

Huh had no clue this existed! Thanks alot! But I'm kind of confused now looking at the pic. How exactly are the component cables connected to the TV? Does it come with double sided component cables to connect from the AV pack inputs to the tv inputs if you understand what I'm asking, or am I missing entirely how these would be setup?
Yes, it does. It adds generic outputs that work with any standard video and audio cables, just like a DVD player would have.

Danny Dudekisser

Yes, the High Definition AV pack comes with male to male component cables. It doesn't come with any audio cables, but those are easy enough to find around the house anyway.

Yes, it does. It adds generic outputs that work with any standard video and audio cables, just like a DVD player would have.

Yes, the High Definition AV pack comes with male to male component cables. It doesn't come with any audio cables, but those are easy enough to find around the house anyway.

Awesome! Thanks a lot guys for answering my
profoundly nooby
tech questions really appreciate it! Now the quest to find this AV pack for a reasonable price begins.

Soup Bar

Awesome! Thanks a lot guys for answering my
profoundly nooby
tech questions really appreciate it! Now the quest to find this AV pack for a reasonable price begins.

If you can find them new in box, they come with video cables, but the optical cable is sold separately. However finding them new might not be worth the trouble.

If you can find them new in box, they come with video cables, but the optical cable is sold separately. However finding them new might not be worth the trouble.

I learned that unfortuantely lol a little more tan I want to spend thinking about picking up these since everything is included and the reviews are pretty positive, anyone have any experience with these?

Here's a question for everyone:

Where is a good place to find information about repairing and modding your Xbox, google is kinda useless right now because of the goddamned Xbone, and original Xbox is barely turning up a goddamned thing. My current xbox is getting a ton of skipping music when it comes to anything played on the DVD drive, and I was able to figure out that the modded one a friend gave me is definitely suffering from a dead hard drive (games will boot, then die soon afterwards).

I want to get these things up and running. So any help at all would be appreciated.

Here's a question for everyone:

Where is a good place to find information about repairing and modding your Xbox, google is kinda useless right now because of the goddamned Xbone, and original Xbox is barely turning up a goddamned thing. My current xbox is getting a ton of skipping music when it comes to anything played on the DVD drive, and I was able to figure out that the modded one a friend gave me is definitely suffering from a dead hard drive (games will boot, then die soon afterwards).

I want to get these things up and running. So any help at all would be appreciated.
Disc drives and hard drives in Xboxes are easily swappable with drives from other, working Xbox systems -- the system doesn't use any security screws and inside they are just screwed and plugged in with cables. Of course though, replacing the HDD means losing your save files, so back up what you can somehow first...

For instance, the disc drive in my Xbox started to fail. My solution was to get a cheap Xbox at Goodwill and use its good disc drive, and the good hard drive from my other one, in one system. One of the two also has a noisy case fan (I forget which...), so I used the system which sounded right, with the HDD with my saves and the working DVD drive. Works fine so far, even though the disc drive that failed is one of the "more reliable" kinds and this one I now have is the "less reliable" kind.

plc268

Disc drives and hard drives in Xboxes are easily swappable with drives from other, working Xbox systems -- the system doesn't use any security screws and inside they are just screwed and plugged in with cables. Of course though, replacing the HDD means losing your save files, so back up what you can somehow first...

For instance, the disc drive in my Xbox started to fail. My solution was to get a cheap Xbox at Goodwill and use its good disc drive, and the good hard drive from my other one, in one system. One of the two also has a noisy case fan (I forget which...), so I used the system which sounded right, with the HDD with my saves and the working DVD drive. Works fine so far, even though the disc drive that failed is one of the "more reliable" kinds and this one I now have is the "less reliable" kind.

It's been a while since I've messed with an OG Xbox, but I do clearly remember that the harddrives are not easily swappable. The DVD drives are, but the hard drives are locked to the console. You'll have to modify the console for it to accept a new harddrive first, then you can relock it.

Unless I'm forgetting something.

It's been a while since I've messed with an OG Xbox, but I do clearly remember that the harddrives are not easily swappable. The DVD drives are, but the hard drives are locked to the console. You'll have to modify the console for it to accept a new harddrive first, then you can relock it.

Unless I'm forgetting something.

Nope, that's just about it. You have to use your console's EEPROM to make an .iso of a hard drive maker tool that will sign your hard drive with the correct code, then you can use it in the Xbox.

Welp, new hard drive came in, so I popped it into my modded Xbox, set up a dash, and am now in possession of a fully functional modded machine. Quite nice, now I'm just ripping all of my Sega games to the drive so I have them at my fingertips. Glorious. Not to mention I figure this will cause less wear on the DVD drive.

Also, finally tried Rent a Hero No. 1. That game is batshit insane. Feels like old school crazy Sega. Plus the fact that you learn new moves from
Segata Motherfucking Sanshiro
while his theme plays in the background just had me grinning from ear to ear.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Just 9-10 more Sega games away from my goal of having them all.

Though it seems like I may be out of luck finding anymore in game stores.

Oh well. Either way I recently got

SpikeOut: Battle Street
It has a Falcon Punch attack so I approve of it.
Headhunter
Iron Phoenix

Now to get some Sonic games... even though I dread the thought of owning another Sonic Heroes. Oh well anything to make it feel like a Dreamcast 1.5 or whatever.

HokieJoe

PGR2 is my favorite racing game of all time. Makeshift games of Cat & Mouse with Mini Coopers on Nürburgring were some of the best times I've had playing online with friends. KGB Corner is a fantastic track as well. So many good memories. It along with Otogi 1 & 2 are the only Xbox games in my collection.

Morrowind on Xbox had some terrible bugs revolving around NPC drift that could break the game. I still dumped 100 plus hours into this version after playing 150 hours on the PC version. It's the only TES game I've enjoyed, probably because it was my first.

Oh yes. I had so much fun on Live playing PGR2. Those damn cone challenges were so hard. It taught me how to drive the cars though. Between PGR2, RTCW, Ninja Gaiden, Halo and Half Life 2/UT2K4 on PC I had it made.

Top Bottom