• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OG Xbox Appreciation and Lack of Emulation Thread of the big black box of doom

baphomet

Someone sent me a brand new Japanese clear black Xbox to mod yesterday. Thing is really slick looking. First time I had messed with a 1.0 motherboard, but it's basically the same as anything else. I feel bad that both of my og xboxes are in my closet where they've remained for the past 6 or so years. Should probably check out some stuff on there again.

Havoc2049

Frak Ya!!!! These were the days!! lol
th

It's been a while since I've messed with an OG Xbox, but I do clearly remember that the harddrives are not easily swappable. The DVD drives are, but the hard drives are locked to the console. You'll have to modify the console for it to accept a new harddrive first, then you can relock it.

Unless I'm forgetting something.

Oh, right... but modding Xboxes is incredibly easy, so that's not much of a hurdle.

Just spotted this thread, great times with the OG, i remember going to a pre launch party here in NYC, first time seeing Dead or Alive, so good.

Teknoman

Crimson Sea isnt too bad. Kinda beat you over the head with the "HEY IM A SEXY WOMAN ALSO I AM MYSTERIOUS" thing though.

So after about 2 months of actively seeking Xbox games I'm content with the games I've managed to find at flea markets and game stores, really surprised how many Xbox gems there are for dirt cheap, this system is really, really underrated as a hardcore longtime Playstation/Nintendo fan, I can honestly say I regret missing out on the OG Xbox. Still have quite a few games i'm seeking
(Shenmue 2 where art thou!)
but i'm glad I've jumped onto the OG Xbox collecting, cant wait to play thru these games!
(Metal Slug 3 and Fatal Frame FTW!)
XboxGAF_zps810786ee.jpeg

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
So after about 2 months of actively seeking Xbox games I'm content with the games I've managed to find at flea markets and game stores, really surprised how many Xbox gems there are for dirt cheap, this system is really, really underrated as a hardcore longtime Playstation/Nintendo fan, I can honestly say I regret missing out on the OG Xbox. Still have quite a few games i'm seeking
but i'm glad I've jumped onto the OG Xbox collecting, cant wait to play thru these games!
XboxGAF_zps810786ee.jpeg
ONE OF US ONE OF US

I'm jealous of your Gunvalkyrie

XboxGAF_zps810786ee.jpeg

Might I recommend Jedi Academy, Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2 and Republic Commando.

Best SW games ever released.

Stubbs the Zombie is pretty great too.

ONE OF US ONE OF US

I'm jealous of your Gunvalkyrie

GunValkyrie is incredibly unique! Steampunk 20th century mixed with jet pack acrobatics. The controls take a bit to get acclimated to but after that the airborne appeal is there!

Might I recommend Jedi Academy, Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2 and Republic Commando.

Best SW games ever released.

Stubbs the Zombie is pretty great too.

SO I've heard, all those games are offfically on my to get list now thanks! Though those games seem to command a greater price than the typical Xbox affair it seems :(

Stubbs is one of the most memorable co-op experiences I've ever had. Super simple, yet so much fun.

I really need to go through my collection and see what I'm missing. Are kiosk discs still horrendously expensive? I have a few 3.x ones still and would like to round out the collection.

SO I've heard, all those games are offfically on my to get list now thanks! Though those games seem to command a greater price than the typical Xbox affair it seems :(

Yeah, they are somewhat expensive, but must have games.

I'd also recommend both The Suffering games as well as The Thing, Shadow of Memories and Call of Cthulthu...if you can find it.

Stubbs is one of the most memorable co-op experiences I've ever had. Super simple, yet so much fun.

Yup. It's more than a little disappointing we didn't get a sequel.

Yeah, they are somewhat expensive, but must have games.

I'd also recommend both The Suffering games as well as The Thing, Shadow of Memories and Call of Cthulthu...if you can find it.

Yup. It's more than a little disappointing we didn't get a sequel.

Shadow of memories=Shadow of Destiny over here in the US for ps2 only unfortunately :(....however I've been looking into modding my xbox but have absolutely no clue how to or where to start...

Can anyone point me to a resource to mod my xbox particularly to make it Region Free? Have a few Xbox games i'd like to import. (i.e. Shadow of memories for ex.)

goldenpp72

Alright, last time i'll bug on this subject. Awhile ago I made a post listing all I owned for the Xbox and asked for suggestions, and I found a ton of games at a Game X Change that had those games, so I figured I will do one last sweep and see if there are any stragglers.

Here is what I owned before:

XIII
Advent Rising
Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance
Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance II
Beyond Good & Evil
Black
Blinx: The Time Sweeper
Blinx 2: Masters of Time & Space
Blood Omen 2
Breakdown
Brute Force
Burnout
Burnout 2: Point of Impact
Burnout 3: Takedown
Capcom Fighting Evolution
Capcom Vs. SNK 2 EO
Castlevania: Curse of Darkness
Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay
Conker Live & Reloaded
Crash Bandicoot: The Wratch of Cortex
Crash Bandicoot: Twinsanity
Crash Tag Team Racing
Crash Nitro Kart
Crazy Taxi 3: High Roller
Crimsons Skies: High Road to Revenge
Dance Dance Revolution Ultramix
Dance Dance Revolution Ultramix 2
Dance Dance Revolution Ultramix 3
Dance Dance Revolution Ultramix 4
Dead or Alive: Ultimate
Dead or Alive 3
Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball
Dino Crisis 3
Doom 3
Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil
Dues Ex: Invisible War
The Elders Scrolls III: Morrowind
The Elders Scrolls III: Morrowind GOTY Edition
Fable
Fatal Frame
Fatal Frame II
Freedom Fighters
Fuzion Frenzy
Genma Onimusha
Grabbed by the Ghoulies
Grand Theft Auto III
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Guilty Gear X2: The Midnight Carnival #Reloaded
Gunvalkyrie
Half Life 2
Halo
Halo 2
The House of the Dead III
Hunter: The Reckoning
Hunter: The Reckoning Redeemer
Jade Empire
Jet Set Radio Future
The King of Fighters: Neowave
Legacy of Kain: Defiance
Max Payne
Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
MechAssault
MechAssault 2: Lone Wolf
Mega Man Anniversary Collection
Metal Arms: Glitch in the System
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Metal Slug 3
Metal Slug 4 & 5
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance
Mortal Kombat: Deception
Mortal Kombat: Armageddon
Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks
Pac-Man World 2
Pac-Man World 3
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Gaiden Black
Oddworld Munch's Oddysee
Oddworld Stranger's Wrath
Otogi: Myth of Demons
Otogi 2: Immortal Warriors
Outrun 2
Outrun 2: Coast 2 Coast
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Phantasy Star Online: Episode I & II
Phantom Dust
Project Gotham Racing
Project Gotham Racing 2
Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy
Psychonauts
Quantum Redshift
Rayman Arena
Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc
Samurai Shodown V
Second Sight
Sega GT Online
Sega Soccer Slam
Serious Sam
Serious Sam II
Shadow the Hedgehog
Shenmue II
Sonic Heroes
Sonic Mega Collection Plus
Sonic Riders
Sphinx: and the Cursed Mummy
Splinter Cell
Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Splinter Cell: Double Agent
Turok: Evolution
Voodoo Vince
Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Tides of War
Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill 4
Silent Scope Complete
Soul Calibur II
Spikeout: Battlestreet
Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
Steel Battalion
Steel Battalion: Line of Contact
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection
Stubbs the Zombie: In Rebel Without a Pulse
Sudeki
Super Monkey Ball Deluxe
SVC Chaos - SNK Vs Capcom
Tetris Worlds
Timesplitters 2
Timesplitters Future Perfect
Toejam & Earl III: Mission to Earth
Tony Hawk 2x
Tony Hawk 3
Tony Hawk 4
Unreal II: The Awakening
Unreal Championship
Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict
Ultra Bust-a-Move
The Warriors
Worms 3D
Worms Forts Under Siege
Worms 4
X-Men Legends
X-Men Legends 2

Other games of potential interest (any thoughts?)

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Indigo Prophecy
The Punisher
Vexx
Xyanide
Yager
Hulk ultimate destruction
Simpsons Hit n Run
Painkiller
Enter The Matrix
Pac-Man World 2
Pac-Man World 3
Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning
Spyro: A Hero's Tail
Outlaw Golf 9 Holes of X-Mas
The Warriors

Here are the games I bought based on suggestions here or elsewhere:

Anything else I should touch up (or avoid) ? Again, only looking for good and/or interesting games, not a complete set literally :p

Mzo

That's a pretty comprehensive list of good or at least interesting games. Some Ps snuck in before the Ns on that list. The Warriors is in both lists.

Didn't see Full Spectrum Warrior and FSW: Ten Hammers. They're tactical, cover-based strategy/action games. Pretty good.

goldenpp72

That's a pretty comprehensive list of good or at least interesting games. Some Ps snuck in before the Ns on that list. The Warriors is in both lists.

Didn't see Full Spectrum Warrior and FSW: Ten Hammers. They're tactical, cover-based strategy/action games. Pretty good.

Yeah I have both of those in the pile in the picture, the list is a bit rough since I kind of closed out Xbox collecting until I saw this topic before, heh.

BouncyFrag

I found Phantom Crash tucked away in a drawer when I was moving as I had gotten it ages ago to play on my 360. Is it worth playing? I don't have much time to game and with my backlog I would appreciate any input.

AzBat

Shadow Ops: Red Mercury by developer Zombie. They released it on Original Xbox & PC. Judging by MetaCritic, the critics gave both versions the same average score of 61. However, users gave the PC version a 8.0 & the Xbox version a 6.8. I played the Xbox version & really liked it. It's a FPS that heavy on story & some cinematics. Feels a little like a Tom Clancy game/movie.

Soup Bar

Oh man Pariah. I remember a buddy of mine was super hyped for that game. Then we played it. It felt like a bad UT 2004 mod.

Defunkled

I sold my OG Xbox and all my games back in the day because I'm an idiot. Been thinking about buying back everything I lost. Now is probably the best time, right? Seems like most Xbox games are cheap right now. I don't want to have a Saturn situation 5-10 years down the road.

I sold my OG Xbox and all my games back in the day because I'm an idiot. Been thinking about buying back everything I lost. Now is probably the best time, right? Seems like most Xbox games are cheap right now. I don't want to have a Saturn situation 5-10 years down the road.

It's pointless to speculate, but yeah it's a good time to buy Xbox stuff for cheap.

MS4amp5andDinoCrisis3_zps5c0822cd.jpeg

To round off my Metal Slug collection (what with 3 on Xbox) I picked up 4 and 5. Also got Dino Crisis 3...heard some less than stellar things about it but I'm a sucker for Dinosaurs and space so how bad could a combo of both be, right!?

:(

Havoc2049

@goldenPP72:

Yes to the below games, all good games.
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Indigo Prophecy
Xyanide
Yager

Some others you might want to try and collect:

Some dark fantasy:
Kingdom Under Fire Crusaders: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEOu6DsZnOQ

Kingdom Under Fire Heroes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsIwVRodejY

Enclave: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ivFpjp2oYM

Dead to Rights The XB version is way better than the PS2/GC version. And not just in the graphics department, but the gameplay was seriously gimped and dumbed down for the PS2/GC release, all for the worse. The XB version of Dead to Rights is an excellent game.

Spartan: Total Warrior: Sega + The Creative Assembly = Goodness

Darkwatch: A unique mix of the old west (Tombstone, Arizona) gunfighter days, vampires and zombies in a FPS. A unique story and art style, especially for an FPS.
Personally for me, this is my favorite FPS on the XB after the Halo series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np7Qu3Wue_Q

Man, the XB had some good games!! ;-)

The original Xbox was amazing just as long as you were willing to void your warranty.

Xbox with 63 emulators: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW9ne0j9NJs

Xbox with 100 homebrew games and PC ports: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn9WiCr8j3w

Xbox with 140+ original games installed in the HDD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEyZmHCGBYo

GTA: San Andreas PC mods running on Xbox: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhKjY5oIvy0

Star Wars Battlefront II KOTOR version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDihTqC5DOw

PCSXbox running the best PS1 game ever made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZpF6Ju2jEA

A few notes. All of this stuff is installed on the same machine. You must have an original copy of the "Hot Coffee" version of GTA: SA to install the mods. All 140 games were installed from original discs using an installation program built into the system dash board.

HTupolev

Anything else I should touch up (or avoid) ? Again, only looking for good and/or interesting games, not a complete set literally :p
RalliSport Challenge and RalliSport Challenge 2 are amazing. Easily my favourite racing games in my library.

"Interesting"? Try Blood Wake. Not necessarily the greatest game ever, and there's tons of room for expansion and improvement, but it's pretty fun and there's not much out there that's similar to its boat combat (every reviewer from back in the day said it was a Twisted Metal clone... which is completely true, if "clone" still holds when your physics, weapons, missions, and overall aesthetics are all totally different).

ocean

Banned
I got an OG Xbox the day my little brother was born. I was 11, and my parents felt a "gift from your little brother" would be a good way to ease the transition towards not being an only child anymore.

It was glorious. I'd already played my fair share of PSX/PS2 games and wondered what this monstrosity (dat size) could bring to the table. I remember my first impressions being 1. This controller is too big for me and 2. Goddamn this feels modern.

So many amazing games were released on this console! I have a serious question: why is emulating this hard? It used a straight up Pentium III, an IDE hard drive and an nVidia video card. This is basically a PC, architecture-wise. Where's the difficulty? I mean we've done the Emotion Engine and Dolphin, which would seem like more complex tasks.

No buffy love?

Seriously, buffy was the shit

Hell yes. I love the first one and the Indiana Jones game from the same team.

I barely played the second Buffy game, despite having it for years, so I can't comment on it much. Both of my brothers loved it, though. My younger one beat it multiple times.

None of us have managed to finish the first Buffy game, though. I did restart it a few months back, but I took a long break and haven't gone back to it yet. I really should.

Elija2

Also got Dino Crisis 3...heard some less than stellar things about it but I'm a sucker for Dinosaurs and space so how bad could a combo of both be, right!?

I recall liking Dino Crisis 3 when I was younger but I never played the first two Dino Crisis games so what do I know?

This arrived last week, I have forgot to post here.

z06f.jpg

I still need to play it and check the differences between the western release.

Nice, isn't that version pricey?

Last year I was like US$ 80 used, this year is floating aroung US$ 50-60. The game got a small print run, but is not that much expensive.

I wasn't look forward to pay that much for such little difference, but as a Sega fan I saved an ebay search. I got this copy for US$ 30 plus $ 4 shipping from HK. Nice deal indeed.

Do you have a region free mod? If so can you pass your knowledge onto me :)!? Still looking to make the Box region free.

Sorry, I like the consoles from my game collection unmodded. Even the OG Xbox which looks super easy to mod, I have 3 units: ntsc-u, ntsc-j and pal.

I found a source to get that preserved the original Xbox DLC content. My old Xbox console broke a while ago, which I have replaced with a modded Xbox. Time to get these babies installed onto my OG Xbox (I still have the DLC on my 360 from when the servers were up, thankfully)

caleb1915

I still have my original copy of Panzer Dragoon Orta, and Dungeons and Dragons: Heroes.

Both of them are scratched to hell cuz I didn't take care of my discs when i was 10, but they still worked on my 360.

Top Bottom