• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OG Xbox Appreciation and Lack of Emulation Thread of the big black box of doom

JMTHEFOX

I still have the original black box and its sitting on my shelf, collecting dust.
ioI9nIOBrzEYQ.JPG

Anyways, my favorite game on the console has got to be Star Wars Republic Commando. I beaten the Single-Player mode with cheats on and it made me wish that EA would make a new RepCom 2 or at least a spiritual successor. I even played the Battlefront II demo from the Episode III DVD.

I was álso one of the people who actually enjoyed the hell out of Conker Live and Reloaded's multiplayer. I played a lot of bot matches on easy difficulty and loled hard at the cheap ai. CampaignX was hard as fuck though.

The only thing I watched from it was a gem from my childhood (and I own the media remote). :3
ic3sEij9JiZrb.JPG

Nzyme32

Had the OG Xbox on uk Launch day and it died a month before the 360 came out.

Probably my most enjoyed game was ninja gaiden

The last game I was playing was Full Spectrum Warrior. That was a great game!

I found a homebrew port of quake 3 for the OG Xbox earlier. I tried it out, and you can play online with pc players. That's insane! This old ass console from 2001 is pulling off cross platform play that works to this day.

Love this machine

Timu

I'm on a hunt to get more Xbox games. In fact I plan to take screenshots of many of them.

I took the time to play Breakdown on both Xbox and Xbox 360 and there's quite a difference:

Xbox
idj9Rga7A9Fab.png
Xbox 360
ibiDNiOPAycCrV.png

I'm using component for Xbox and HDMI for 360 so that explains it.

This also is a nice nod to this awesome console.
ibz4LnwAFdnTRJ.png

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
This arrived last week, I have forgot to post here.

z06f.jpg

I still need to play it and check the differences between the western release.

Yo, lemme know when you have a chance to play that. Curious if the menus are in English (or if it's in the options somewhere), because the changes you enumerated last time around seemed interesting.

Found these at my local gamestore.

Shenmue2andStarWarsoldrep1April10th2014_zps37eaaf8c.jpeg

Which should I play first? Though I probably should play Shenmue 1 before 2 since I've had it for quite awhile lol. I've heard so much about the Old Republic, hopefully it lives up to its ballyhooed heights of hype. Is the story genuinely good?

This arrived last week, I have forgot to post here.

z06f.jpg

I still need to play it and check the differences between the western release.

I saw a few copies of this (US version ofc) what makes these rare or is the JP edition the only rare version?

Soup Bar

Found these at my local gamestore.

Shenmue2andStarWarsoldrep1April10th2014_zps37eaaf8c.jpeg

Which should I play first? Though I probably should play Shenmue 1 before 2 since I've had it for quite awhile lol. I've heard so much about the Old Republic, hopefully it lives up to its ballyhooed heights of hype. Is the story genuinely good?

Yeah playing the first game is a must. The movie is okay but not a great way to experience the story. The story is good, but the voice acting is dog shit and sounds like it was recorded in a closet.

Yo, lemme know when you have a chance to play that. Curious if the menus are in English (or if it's in the options somewhere), because the changes you enumerated last time around seemed interesting.

I will try it over the weekend and let you guys know.

I saw a few copies of this (US version ofc) what makes these rare or is the JP edition the only rare version?

The US version had a large print run and it should be easy to find. The Japanese version had a really small print run, thus costs a lot more. And there are little differences between the two releases (read my previous posts).

The sequel, Coast to Coast, is easy to find for PS2 in US, but not for the Xbox, so it should a little more "rare". And it was not released in Japan (only PS2).

Oh, wow. I had no idea that was the case. Any idea if the Japanese version's got English menus? I like my slutted up race girls, but if I can't effectively play the challenge mode/enjoy the prize box anymore... well, that's too much of a buzzkill for me.
Yeah, I'd imagine that Japanese-language challenges would make the game impossible...

In any case, it's kinda interesting to find out stuff about Japanese Xbox games like this, because there's really not very much information about them out there. Guess I'm glad this thread exists.

And speaking of Japanese Xbox game differences, I think, but am not positive, that Metal Slug 3's Japanese release is the best version of that game. I like that the Xbox version of MS3 gets rid of all of the slowdown from the MVS original. That slowdown isn't supposed to be there, and it's a real nuisance. But, as we all know, the US release of the game starts you at the beginning of the level whenever you get a game over, which absolutely sucks in level 5. Well, I know for a fact that the Euro version of MS3 on Xbox does NOT do that. It restarts you right where you died, just like in the arcade version. I have a suspicion that the Japanese version probably operates the same way. I really need to nab the game to confirm that, though. In any case, it would be nice, since MS3 is one of my favorite arcade games ever, and it'd be nice to have a slowdown-free version of the game that works properly.

If the Japanese version does indeed do that, yeah, that'd be a must-have; Metal Slug 3 is the best game in the series, but I'm just not good enough to beat level 5 without continuing...

Danny Dudekisser

If the Japanese version does indeed do that, yeah, that'd be a must-have; Metal Slug 3 is the best game in the series, but I'm just not good enough to beat level 5 without continuing...

I really need to pick up a copy to verify. Just been too busy with other stuff for the time being. I'll get around to it.

how are the 3d castlevanias? ive been looking into picking them up. i can deal with a bad game.

I'm actually a big fan of Lament of Innocence. Repetitive level design, but really solid mechanics and an incredible soundtrack. Honestly, the music might be better than SOTN's. Of course, that's only on PS2! Xbox owners are stuck with Curse of Darkness.

Curse of Darkness was considerably worse on every front, though. Personally, I wouldn't bother.

EBE

I'm actually a big fan of Lament of Innocence. Repetitive level design, but really solid mechanics and an incredible soundtrack. Honestly, the music might be better than SOTN's. Of course, that's only on PS2! Xbox owners are stuck with Curse of Darkness.

Curse of Darkness was considerably worse on every front, though. Personally, I wouldn't bother.

thats unfortunate. i was looking at a complete copy thats relatively cheap so i may still bite. or i might save up for something else.

Yeah playing the first game is a must. The movie is okay but not a great way to experience the story. The story is good, but the voice acting is dog shit and sounds like it was recorded in a closet.

I suspected that the movie was literally a cut scene stitching of the first game's plot I'll play thru Shenmue 1 first then, its decided.

Defunkled

VoltageGAF I need your help! I'm looking to buy an Asian/Japanese Xbox and I found one on eBay. The description is as follows:

What exactly would I need to get this Xbox working in the US? Would I be able to use my power cable from my US Xbox? What kind of converter would I need? Thanks, I'm clueless about this stuff.

Borman

The easiest way to get that to work in the US is to find a US box of the same revision and swap its powersupply (or buy the power supply and swap it directly, though that would likely cost as much as a full box). Otherwise, you can buy a step up converter to convert the 110v to 220v.

Really, I recommend just finding a Japanese box rather than a Hong Kong one. Japanese boxes run the same voltage.

Had some fun taking pictures today

HTupolev

You know what looks cool? The areas with red dirt on the Australia courses in RalliSport Challenge 2, viewed in replay mode with the camera in front of the car looking back. Especially in single-car mode, so the game renders tons of dust being kicked up by the car (which is pretty ambitious for a console which usually starts coughing and sputtering on alpha blending).

Beautiful.

RSC2's replays are usually the game's graphical weak point, running at half the gameplay framerate with no obvious benefits.

I had a crystal clear one with loads of games. When I moved out my dad threw the box out and I lost everything relating to the original xbox.

I am looking in to getting another bit have a few questions for posters.

How reliable is the machine? I know I can get them cheap on eBay but would want something that lasts.
Also if it were to break how easy are they to repair?

Borman

The Xbox is one of the most reparable consoles, both in terms of access to the parts and actually having stuff to replace.

The least reliable part is the DVD Drive. A lot of them can be fixed relatively easily (its either the lens that is screwed, or the rails on the drive have dried and need more grease), or you can just swap it with a replacement drive. Or, just keep it broken and load games off the HDD.

The other thing to watch out for is the power supply. Each model had its own, and its easy enough to swap, but some early models had Foxlink power supplies that were not soldered all that well, so the points tend to break. Again, fixable if you wanted to, or you could swap it for another model. This is why we had those special wires to try and prevent fires.

If the HDD breaks, pop in any IDE drive assuming you've modded the console (which I do recommend). USB ports blow (which I havent seen)? Swap in new ones. Fan dead? Swap in a new one.

Defunkled

The easiest way to get that to work in the US is to find a US box of the same revision and swap its powersupply (or buy the power supply and swap it directly, though that would likely cost as much as a full box). Otherwise, you can buy a step up converter to convert the 110v to 220v.

Really, I recommend just finding a Japanese box rather than a Hong Kong one. Japanese boxes run the same voltage.

Thanks for the help! I didn't win that auction so I'll probably just take your advice and keep looking for a Japanese Xbox specifically.

Kotor and Ninja Gaiden Black were my favorite console exclusives on the original Xbox.

The thing I loved it for most were the multiplatform games though- the Xbox version was most often the version to get.

I loved the Xbox version of Mercenaries- played the crap outta that.

And Jade Empire- man, I wanna play that game again. I bought it on Steam, but it literally won't boot up on my PC. Sucks that there's seemingly no way to play that game nowadays short of tracking down an original Xbox and a copy of it.

Danny Dudekisser

Kotor and Ninja Gaiden Black were my favorite console exclusives on the original Xbox.

The thing I loved it for most were the multiplatform games though- the Xbox version was most often the version to get.

I loved the Xbox version of Mercenaries- played the crap outta that.

And Jade Empire- man, I wanna play that game again. I bought it on Steam, but it literally won't boot up on my PC. Sucks that there's seemingly no way to play that game nowadays short of tracking down an original Xbox and a copy of it.

I have Jade Empire on GOG, and it works just fine. So... there is a way. Apparently, it doesn't have the issues that the Steam version does. From what I've read, at least.

Danny Dudekisser

Cool! So my next question is, how does it hold up nowadays?

That... I don't know. I feel like that game's reputation has been a bit of a roller coaster. People were really into it when it first came out, then soured on it because it lacked the depth of prior Bioware games... but I feel like in recent years, people have come around to it and accepted the game for what it's trying to be instead of wishing it was something else.

So... I dunno. I liked it in 2007 on my shitty computer that couldn't run it well. I'd probably enjoy it now, too.

Cueil

Banned
does the X1 even need real emulation... surely doing some work on the actual Xbox OG OS and you should theoretically run most of the games. It's not like this hardware isn't X86 based and the GPU can do everything the OG could do without breaking a sweat.

Borman

does the X1 even need real emulation... surely doing some work on the actual Xbox OG OS and you should theoretically run most of the games. It's not like this hardware isn't X86 based and the GPU can do everything the OG could do without breaking a sweat.

Emulating the GPU is no small matter, let alone the other unique chips on the Xbox. I would wager it is doable, but the question becomes how does MS make money from that?

Xbox camera watches you sleep
i7UTLsV.jpg

thundr51

Emulating the GPU is no small matter, let alone the other unique chips on the Xbox. I would wager it is doable, but the question becomes how does MS make money from that?
]

Been looking at that question myself ...they could make the 360emu only work with digital games...that would bring some relevance to their games for gold and games on demand services.

Pachinko

Nice to see this thread bumped. OG xbox was my favorite system while it lasted. My love affair with the PS2 was actually very short lived back in those days, I was pumped as hell to get one in 2001 but by the end of the year I'd purchased an xbox and was playing Halo and DOA3 more than anything else.

Over the consoles brief 4 year life I bought a number of great Sega games as well as pretty well anything team ninja released. Halo, Halo 2, Crimson Skies and Rallisport Challenge 2 were also fun titles I grabbed. By the time I upgraded to a 360 I had 30 or so xbox games , only 12 or so PS2 games and just 7 or 8 gamecube titles.

Good memories :D

TheYanger

Nice to see this thread bumped. OG xbox was my favorite system while it lasted. My love affair with the PS2 was actually very short lived back in those days, I was pumped as hell to get one in 2001 but by the end of the year I'd purchased an xbox and was playing Halo and DOA3 more than anything else.

Over the consoles brief 4 year life I bought a number of great Sega games as well as pretty well anything team ninja released. Halo, Halo 2, Crimson Skies and Rallisport Challenge 2 were also fun titles I grabbed. By the time I upgraded to a 360 I had 30 or so xbox games , only 12 or so PS2 games and just 7 or 8 gamecube titles.

Good memories :D

Pretty well mirrors my experience with that gen. I had the rare cross platform that were better on ps2 or GC on those, the good exclusives that I really wanted (Let's say 20-30 games for each of those tops. probably a lot less for GC), and xbox had, everything else. Every cross platform, every exclusive, was just better. Pretty sure I have like 50ish xbox games still.

those shots are awesome. love the translucent green console.

what are some games that are superior on Xbox over other consoles/PC? for example, I've been wanting to play through the old Splinter Cell games again. Should I bust out my old Xbox copies or just play them on PC/PS3 rerelease?

on the opposite side of the spectrum, what are some games that are better when played using the 360 emulation rather than an original OG Xbox?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Blue Kasumi. *Jelly* But you probably don't have the extras (*cough*Bodypillow*cough*) that came with it.

wonderboyjones said:
I still use mine. Have all my hard copies copied to it with EvoX on it. Does anyone still support EvoX or UnleashX anymore or is that dead?

I think they're dead. I don't think there's been any flurry on Xbins for updates or anything.

Speaking of which: Where would I go to find someone with the know-how to open the box up and swap harddrives out for disc ripping and all that purposes? I don't think I have the know-how for the whole lock/unlock the drive and swapping process.

SO for awhile now Ive wanted to get into fighting games
(with literally no competitive scene experience really outside of couch party playings of MvC2 and SSBMelee lol)
, where and what should I start with on the original Xbox? Also seeing as though the Xbox D-pad is not...well the best ( I'm a proponent of the Dualshock Dpad), do most of you play with analog or maybe play with even a third party controller solution? I'm all ears friends!

p.s. I found a brand new copy of guilty Gear X2 #Reload for 5$ and thought what the hell, is that generally regarded as a good fighter?

(with literally no competitive scene experience really outside of couch party playings of MvC2 and SSBMelee lol)
, where and what should I start with on the original Xbox? Also seeing as though the Xbox D-pad is not...well the best ( I'm a proponent of the Dualshock Dpad), do most of you play with analog or maybe play with even a third party controller solution? I'm all ears friends!

p.s. I found a brand new copy of guilty Gear X2 #Reload for 5$ and thought what the hell, is that generally regarded as a good fighter?

#Reload is nice, but it's obselete these days with most of the competitive players playing Accent Core +R (lol naming conventions).

As a matter of fact, most fighting games available on Xbox have more recent sequels on newer consoles that have a more competitive following, but of what's available my favorites are KOF 2002, Soul Calibur 2, Capcom vs SNK 2, Street Fighter Anniversary Collection, and DOAU.

Soup Bar

I suspected that the movie was literally a cut scene stitching of the first game's plot I'll play thru Shenmue 1 first then, its decided.

It is almost a full length movie though. So watching it after playing the first game is kind of cool. Don't let anyone talk you into playing Dreamcast version on Shenmue 2. The Xbox version is great.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

I'll echo SC2 and DoA3

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
These games were far and away the bets on MS system
Tharealsplintercell.jpg

Pandora_Tomorrow_box_art.jpg

Tom_Clancy%27s_Splinter_Cell_-_Chaos_Theory_Coverart.png

58431_front.jpg

Splinter_Cell_Double_Agent-DVD-Xbox.jpg

The above version of Splinter Cell Double Agent was vastly superior to the 360/PS3 version.

Soup Bar

Now that my Xbox works again, I should look into Double Agent.

edit: It's still like $14 on Amazon new. I picked it up.

#Reload is nice, but it's obselete these days with most of the competitive players playing Accent Core +R (lol naming conventions).

As a matter of fact, most fighting games available on Xbox have more recent sequels on newer consoles that have a more competitive following, but of what's available my favorites are KOF 2002, Soul Calibur 2, Capcom vs SNK 2, Street Fighter Anniversary Collection, and DOAU.

I'll echo SC2 and DoA3

Capcom vs SNK 2, Street Fighter Anniversary Collection were at my local gamestore too thanks for the suggestions guys! Now all I need are some actual general fighting game tips lol, might start a new thread for that though.

And about DOA, I saw a double pack with what seems to be 1 & 2, are those good/graphically updated on Xbox in any form?

Capcom vs SNK 2, Street Fighter Anniversary Collection were at my local gamestore too thanks for the suggestions guys! Now all I need are some actual general fighting game tips lol, might start a new thread for that though.

And about DOA, I saw a double pack with what seems to be 1 & 2, are those good/graphically updated on Xbox in any form?

Yeah, that's what I meant by DOAU. DOA1U is more or less a high res version of the arcade original and DOA2 got a full graphical overhaul. DOA2U is one of the most graphically impressive games on Xbox imo.

fun little project, I started ripping my game discs to my HDD and started to make them look pretty XBMC:

iL2TrNj.png

gotta take a trip to the game store soon and grab a bunch of games that I've been meaning to get

as for dead or alive ultimate, DOA1 is just a port of the Sega Saturn version of the game with (now defunct) online play, but DOA2 is a complete remake for Xbox. same movelists, but update graphics, stages, costumes, hitomi, etc...

OH and also, for those who have a modded Xbox, check out this site. they have some hex codes that you can change on your Xbox games to make them look better in widescreen (aka none of that stretched granola)

Top Bottom