• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ohio Sues 5 Major Drug Companies For 'Fueling Opioid Epidemic'

Is there a similar opioid crisis in other countries where these drugs are available, like Canada, UK, Germany, etc.?

Not so much in the UK, but then again we aren't bombarded with TV adverts about all these revolutionary new drugs every ad break.

Good. I hope the entire concept of the war or drugs dies in a fire.
Is the addiction danger not stated on the safety booklet? if so, people who get it should understand the risks and shouldn't seek culpability for something they use on themselves, maybe responsibility was too much to ask.

It sounds a damned if you do/damned if you don't situation where in a few years time when the pendulum has swung the other way and there will be outrage because "These pharma companies have all the patents for pain killers but refuse to make them, did you know this affects the black community even worse?! look at this poor man with crippling backpain!!!"

People trust their doctors. The opioid epidemic started with prescription drugs.if people trusted the healthcare industry and got burned for thinking it had the best interest of patients at heart, that's not on the patient.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Seems like this really ought to cause a deeper look at how pharmaceutical marketing in general works, but I doubt that will happen. I still never understand why television ads for prescription drugs is ok.

That should be totally illegal. It's amazing the FDA allows that at all.

HeySeuss

Prescription does not resign people from their personal responsibility, maybe they shouldn't always say "10!" when their doctor asks them to grade their level of pain and resort to such extreme measures.

While I don't completely disagree that personal responsibility is important, doctors need to pay better attention to their patients. If you're predisposed to addiction, you can get addicted on the first round of medication. When you get wisdom teeth pulled, you are in a lot of pain and oxy or Vicodin is typically what you get.

Once you're addicted, personal responsibility is pretty much gone. Opiates rewires your brain so that the only thing your body wants above all else is the next fix. It gets to the point that it isn't even about getting high anymore, but managing the withdrawal symptoms that are usually more painful than the original thing that led to the medication being needed in the first place.

see5harp

While I don't completely disagree that personal responsibility is important, doctors need to pay better attention to their patients. If you're predisposed to addiction, you can get addicted on the first round of medication. When you get wisdom teeth pulled, you are in a lot of pain and oxy or Vicodin is typically what you get.

Once you're addicted, personal responsibility is pretty much gone. Opiates rewires your brain so that the only thing your body wants above all else is the next fix. It gets to the point that it isn't even about getting high anymore, but managing the withdrawal symptoms that are usually more painful than the original thing that led to the medication being needed in the first place.

I've never once heard of someone getting oxy for wisdom teeth. People normally don't even get extra strength Vicodin or Norco.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Good. Big pharma has played a major role in getting Americans hooked on drugs they probably didn't need in the first place. And to add insult to injury we pay an astronomical amount for them.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
It's pretty common, but I'm in Ohio. I got Vicodin when I got mine pulled.

"Why give me 500 mg of Tylenol or Ibuprofen for this? I need something stronger!" Heh, you even see this on gaf when talking about dental or outpatient procedures.

A few pills of an opioid might be fine post-op but people still complain.

Red

I got Vicodin for my wisdom teeth too. One time I had a CT scan and was given Vicodin because the contrast solution extravasated and my arm swelled a little.

see5harp

Yea you get Vicodin or Norco but it's not like the extra strength. It's just enough to dull the nerves. If you take one of those every 6 hours it's not like you are passing out in your car before or after work.

Yea you get Vicodin or Norco but it's not like the extra strength. It's just enough to dull the nerves. If you take one of those every 6 hours it's not like you are passing out in your car before or after work.

Cold water extraction of hydrocodone is easy as fuck.

Ponn

Banned
Devil's advocate, but some people do suffer from debilitating chronic pain. The opiod epidemic hurts them worst of all as more and more doctors and insurance companies cut them off, often quite suddenly.

Areas where people with legit prescriptions for serious conditions are cut off see spikes in heroin use.

On the other hand, legalized marijuana would go A LONG WAY towards helping people manage pain and states with legalized weed have seen drops in opiod abuse.

But Sessions gonna Sessions.

I agree with a lot of this. People need to be careful about news sensationalizing some of this stuff and playing loose with facts. Opioids are a problem but the issue comes in with lawmakers not interested in differences and throwing all pain medications under the bus.

Also if you have centralized or regional epidemics people really should be looking at things like state drug laws (which yes can and do vary state by state) and distribution. At least in Florida it is absolutely not easy to get pain meds through a doctor and hasn't been for a year or two. And even if you do manage to a script there are a lot of pharmacies that won't fill them anymore. Doctors here are literally afraid to write the scripts because they don't want to lose certain licenses or be sued.

We have reasonable laws here for these meds. Hand written scripts only, no refills, 30 days at a time based on tiered drugs with dose limits. These are pretty reasonable and while it was a pain to have to take my mom to the doctor every 30 days for a new script I did it because it helped her to be able to just get out of bed. Then the doctor stopped writing her prescription, for freaking Lortab. Doctors will look out for themselves over helping people. Regulation is fine but doctors shouldn't be bullied into not helping patients.

Mr. X

Healthcare isn't meant to be a for profit industry because this is what happens. They just try to be profitable in the interest of shareholders and patients get screwed in the end.

HeySeuss

How many people have you arrested for having pills?

Unless it's bulk amounts or trafficking, I usually send people through diversion so they can get help. I've had quite a few arrests from traffic stops that mules are transporting large quantities.

But for the individual user I send them to diversion/drug court. The problem can't be fixed by incarceration alone. It can even make it worse when someone gets locked up for a few years and get out and go back to using the same amount they used before they went to prison. Heroin is a lot more pure than it was 10 years ago and there's a good percentage that overdoses because they shoot up the same amount they did before and because of the potency they're not used to, causes them to overdose. It's sad. I tell people all the time that it's not a police problem, it's a society problem.

Top Bottom