• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

Same!

I've actually only had one or two! I wasn't sure whether to put it there at first but I couldn't really think of anything else but I've not had too many weird comments about it so I just left it there.

Maybe those UK guys are jsut more polite lol.

So this girl I talked to, who later just stopped responding, was on chat, so I thought hey, why not? Surprisingly she responded so later I asked why she never replied to my messages, and she said she must have accidentally deleted them with all the creeper messages she gets. Doesn't sound the most plausible, but I don't see why she would lie.

So lesson is, if a girl just stops replying, try again =P I'm jk..that's probably not a good rule to live by.

Just hit my 50th message out.

Out of those, one person replied. We had a two message volley, and then they stopped replying.

When I hit 100, I'll stop sending messages. Assuming I don't get a message within a week of the very last message, I'm deleting my profile.

zlatko

Banned

Out of those, one person replied. We had a two message volley, and then they stopped replying.

When I hit 100, I'll stop sending messages. Assuming I don't get a message within a week of the very last message, I'm deleting my profile.

Gotta change up something on your grind. It's good you are keeping at it, and above all the more you message the better your odds.

Have you had GAF check your profile to help fine tune it? Maybe the pics could use some changing up.

How do you feel your messages are? Ask for help if you haven't. GAF advice on my OKC lead me to 3 dates and a girlfriend so it only stands to benefit you.

How long have you had a profile? If you're sending out 50 within the span of a couple weeks you're doing it wrong. The more messages you send the more frustrated you become and the quality of your messages starts to diminish.

Take a step back, spend a weekend off OKC, and stop counting the messages.

And be patient. It can take months or even years before you find someone.

Aguirre

How long have you had a profile? If you're sending out 50 within the span of a couple weeks you're doing it wrong. The more messages you send the more frustrated you become and the quality of your messages starts to diminish.

you've done this before. i can tell.

Bleepey

The tip to get responses is thus:

1)Lower your standards.
2) message new people. Even if they have not put a picture up
3) Message more and more

Gotta change up something on your grind. It's good you are keeping at it, and above all the more you message the better your odds.

Have you had GAF check your profile to help fine tune it? Maybe the pics could use some changing up.

How do you feel your messages are? Ask for help if you haven't. GAF advice on my OKC lead me to 3 dates and a girlfriend so it only stands to benefit you.

I PMed one person on GAF for help. I changed my profile up a bit to make it less formal. And prior to posting it, I had two females check it.

I think my profile picture and initial messages are pretty good because I get decent visitor rate after sending a message. I see that the people I messaged are visiting. They just don't message me back. :(

If anyone wants to help, PM me and I'll PM you my profile. I feel uncomfortable posting it in the public forum.

Lone_Prodigy said:

It has only been a couple weeks. But I figure insanity is doing the same thing over and over again.

I mean, I'm getting frustrated, but is it really going to change much if I send these messages in a week or in a month?

I had a profile in the past. It was somewhat successful. Had a good reply ratio, got some numbers, went on some dates, even got laid.

Now Ive moved and want something COMPLETELY new.

Heres what I have.

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/Jamwalk

Listen, if you guys hate it, thats ok, its just an experiment to see if this style of profile is any better than my old style (old style was pretty much your average one). Want tos ee if this leads to more girls initiating the convo.

(Ill upload pics in the next few days I guess, I wont message anyone till next week)

mj1108

Girl with 3 kids messaged me, lol

haha... nice.

Years ago I was setup on a blind date with a girl who was 22 years old. All that I was told was she was just looking for a great guy, etc... So I thought "ok, why not?". Well, a half hour into the date I find out she has 3 kids by 3 different fathers, all of which still come around and asks me "do you think we have a chance?".

There wasn't a second date.
KuGsj.gif

Minion101

Banned
Ok so I have a days old profile up and this semi decent looking girl's first message to me is
"How are you tonight? You have very little to say but was wondering if you would be interested in meeting tonight?"

Me = scared shitless

I'm a true gaffer. :(

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Ok so I have a days old profile up and this semi decent looking girl's first message to me is "How are you tonight? You have very little to say but was wondering if you would be interested in meeting tonight?"

Me = scared shitless

Squeeze your balls, that way you know they're still there.

She's going to rob you and leave your body in a ditch.

Am I helping?

Ashodin

Ok so I have a days old profile up and this semi decent looking girl's first message to me is

Me = scared shitless

Ask if she wants to meet up for coffee or something. Take it slow. If she wants to booty call you, then you can decide whether or not to give it up.

Bleepey

haha... nice.

Years ago I was setup on a blind date with a girl who was 22 years old. All that I was told was she was just looking for a great guy, etc... So I thought "ok, why not?". Well, a half hour into the date I find out she has 3 kids by 3 different fathers, all of which still come around and asks me "do you think we have a chance?".

There wasn't a second date.
KuGsj.gif

I am not sure what weirds me out more, the three kids at 22 or the three different fathers.

Az987

all good things
Geesh. I think I know how some women feel.

Someone I made the mistake of replying to on OKcupid in April because I was bored wont leave me alone.

I deleted my pictures, and stopped logging on Okcupid because it wasn't going anywhere and she still kept going to my profile every once in a while and the other day I uploaded some new pictures and she messaged me!

I haven't replied to your messages in 5 MONTHS! Why are you still messaging me!?

Bleepey

Geesh. I think I know how some women feel.

Someone I made the mistake of replying to on OKcupid in April because I was bored wont leave me alone.

I deleted my pictures, and stopped logging on Okcupid because it wasn't going anywhere and she still kept going to my profile every once in a while and the other day I uploaded some new pictures and she messaged me!

I haven't replied to your messages in 5 MONTHS! Why are you still messaging me!?

If a gross chick messages you, say you are only looking for casual sex. This may scare her off, or get you even more unwanted attention.

Az987

all good things
If a gross chick messages you, say you are only looking for casual sex. This may scare her off, or get you even more unwanted attention.

It could work but like you said it could get more unwanted attention and end with me being sexually assaulted.

On another note, I changed my headline to Fifty Shades of... Hey!

I have high hopes for this one.

Konosuke

Im so sad right now, I might have ruined my chances with a perfect match. She essentially just made an account to search for causal sex. Its pretty much all I want now.

We trade some 5 messages between us and then I asked for her number, but she said it was too soon to give it to me, so she added me on msn instead.

Later that night we had a quick chat and I wanted to make a video chat, but she said it was late and she was at a friends home who was already asleep, so we did a raincheck on this.

But that was 3 days ago, and I havent found her online again in msn. She was online once, but I was asleep.

Ive left her 2 messages in okcupid asking for another way to keep in touch with her, but I feel like Im begging now. She probably has tonnes of messages now, her profile pic is her cleavage lol.

Should I just admit defeat? Or should I try to send a last message?

My gf made me an OKcupid account for fun...didn't realize how many attractive ladies are in there

There's gotta be something emotionally wrong with them, right?

Dicer

Banned
My gf made me an OKcupid account for fun...didn't realize how many attractive ladies are in there

There's gotta be something emotionally wrong with them, right?

I hope not, I got a date Sunday :p

Edit: the "bi" girl I talked about before we are actually pretty close friends now, and she wants to be my roommate, that could be... interesting

Uchip

Banned
Not all of them.

so there are one or two that genuinely think that internet dating is a good option
the chances of us finding them, and hitting it off, are like winning the lottery.

its easier to just assume that they have something wrong with them, statistically speaking

Ashhong

Does anybody like POF more than OKC? I just made an account and have been looking through, and the people on it are terrible. Like I just browsed over 200 search results and didn't find 1 person I want to message. New girls pop up on OKC that I want to message every day.

Plus the site is messy and the "you can only message if" part is confusing. If I put that I'm looking for anything, do the girls that say "must not be looking for sex" not get my messages?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
The weirdest thing I see on here is 18-22 year old very attractive women that are on the site that live in the college town I do. These girls can't really have a need for a dating site, they are uber attractive and in college. They have to have the choice of almost any dude.

Interesting stuff.

Not much going on for me on the site. Few messages, and I've been sending a lot, but no dates yet.

Bleepey

Does anybody like POF more than OKC? I just made an account and have been looking through, and the people on it are terrible. Like I just browsed over 200 search results and didn't find 1 person I want to message. New girls pop up on OKC that I want to message every day.

Plus the site is messy and the "you can only message if" part is confusing. If I put that I'm looking for anything, do the girls that say "must not be looking for sex" not get my messages?

Basically the majority of men are looking for sex on dating sites. If a woman puts must not be looking for intimate encounters, they don't want men who have messaged women looking for "intimate encounters" to message them. From what i have been told it greatly decreases the number of messages a girl receives compared to their message rate without any filters. Men putting those filters up is pretty pointless unless you are disgusted by a girl messaging a guy for casual sex

Ashhong

Basically the majority of men are looking for sex on dating sites. If a woman puts must not be looking for intimate encounters, they don't want men who have messaged women looking for "intimate encounters" to message them. From what i have been told it greatly decreases the number of messages a girl receives compared to their message rate without any filters. Men putting those filters up is pretty pointless unless you are disgusted by a girl messaging a guy for casual sex

No I understand why they do it, I'm wondering how it works. In my profile it asks what I'm looking for. I put pretty much anything. So then does my message get filtered out because technically I am looking for "casual sex"?

Bleepey

No I understand why they do it, I'm wondering how it works. In my profile it asks what I'm looking for. I put pretty much anything. So then does my message get filtered out because technically I am looking for "casual sex"?

To my knowledge on okcupid there is no filter and on pof do not set your profile as seeking intimate encounters it will limit who you can message greatly.

So GAF, I just made a profile and of the two messages I sent out last nights, one responded positively to my joking message. What do I say next?

Also I just got an unsolicited message from a girl in town who is apparently a burlesque dancer, but she isn't attractive in the least plus she's got a tattoo. Should I just not message her if I'm uninterested?

EDIT: Here is the joke.
"I know a couple of homophones. They get great reception on Broadway and are much more stylish than the majority of heterophones."

She complained about the use of homophones on her message me if: portion of her profile.

Ashhong

Got a profile visit from a pretty hot girl who I messaged and am now chatting comfortably with.

She's halfway across the country :( Oh well, always good to have more people to talk to.

And have fun dicer! Let me know about that last thing I messaged haha

Pastry

Banned
So I'm starting an OKC profile pretty soon and the main reason I'm waiting is because I have a broken hand. I could potentially get my brace off this Wednesday and at most two weeks after that if needs a little longer to heal. I know realistically I probably wouldn't get a date before then anyways but I'm slightly self conscious about the brace I am wearing, didn't need a cast. I know I should just start a profile now anyways but I'm essentially looking for a kick in the butt and for GAF to tell me I'm being a nancy and just to do it.

So I'm starting an OKC profile pretty soon and the main reason I'm waiting is because I have a broken hand. I could potentially get my brace off this Wednesday and at most two weeks after that if needs a little longer to heal. I know realistically I probably wouldn't get a date before then anyways but I'm slightly self conscious about the brace I am wearing, didn't need a cast. I know I should just start a profile now anyways but I'm essentially looking for a kick in the butt and for GAF to tell me I'm being a nancy and just to do it.

I now have 60 messages out. One more girl replied to a message I sent, and then stopped communication.

This site is awesome! Do it! The humiliation is superb.

Ashhong

"Man, I totally would have dated that person, but that broken hand? Gross! He probably masturbated too hard."

If this doesn't get you started Pastry, nothing will.

There are some good ones Freezie. The girl 2000 miles away from me is really awesome and we're both amazed at how similar we are. Obviously never going to meet probably, so penpals it will be. Already moved onto texting.

There are some good ones Freezie. The girl 2000 miles away from me is really awesome and we're both amazed at how similar we are. Obviously never going to meet probably, so penpals it will be. Already moved onto texting.

I got hit on by a 45-year-old today, in the real world. A bit old for what I'm looking for right now, but the whole OK Cupid fiasco really made me question my options for a moment.

Pastry

Banned
"Man, I totally would have dated that person, but that broken hand? Gross! He probably masturbated too hard."

I now have 60 messages out. One more girl replied to a message I sent, and then stopped communication.

This site is awesome! Do it! The humiliation is superb.

If this doesn't get you started Pastry, nothing will.

Fine. You win GAF. Rip my profile/photos apart and tell me what I can improve please.

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/CRod88

Pastry

Banned
Looks pretty good to me. I don't know about everyone else but I like to add what I'm looking for specifically in a girl, and what you are trying to get out of OKC.

Also, curious, why did you not answer whether you smoke or drink, but answer drugs?

The drugs thing was already answered for some reason but I guess I'll answer the other two. Thanks! I also figured that everyone was on OKC for more or less the same reasons so I didn't really mention anything about that (and I was trying to be relatively brief, I didn't want my profile to be a novel).

Ashhong

The drugs thing was already answered for some reason but I guess I'll answer the other two. Thanks! I also figured that everyone was on OKC for more or less the same reasons so I didn't really mention anything about that (and I was trying to be relatively brief, I didn't want my profile to be a novel).

Ha, didn't realize they answer drugs automatically.

I wouldn't say that. Some people are looking for casual, some people are looking for their soulmate, etc.

Pastry

Banned
Hmmm accidentally made some of the questions public. Nothing I'm too embarrassed about, I course I would consider having sex on the first date. Oops. Can you edit these somehow and make them unpublic? Sent my first message anyways to a decent match.

Oops. Can you edit these somehow and make them unpublic? Sent my first message anyways to a decent match.

Yeah, go to questions on the left side of the page under your profile photo, then you have to go through each question, that you answered over 24 hours ago, and click on re-answer and check the box at the bottom that says answer this question privately.

bimet

I joined in on the fun this past week. I feel maybe I was overly formal in my writing, and would appreciate some advice from the experienced members of the GAF community on what to trim down/change. This is the first time I create an online dating profile, so I'm not entirely sure on what "sells" around these waters. Profile here. (Warning: Not a female).
Thanks!

Pacbois

I'm on the site for a month now. Starting to get nice conversations with cool people, wich I thought was impossible on most of dating sites. Also most of thoses conversations were started by the ladies, wich is cool I guess. Also, being in Paris, there is a lot of foreign students, wich is quite dope.

And funny thing, I just spotted a 99% match, and her profile looks nice.

Pastry

Banned
I joined in on the fun this past week. I feel maybe I was overly formal in my writing, and would appreciate some advice from the experienced members of the GAF community on what to trim down/change. This is the first time I create an online dating profile, so I'm not entirely sure on what "sells" around these waters. Profile here. (Warning: Not a female).
Thanks!

It says account not found for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom