• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've gotten like 3 more unsolicited messages from women I wouldn't touch with a 60 foot pole.
On the other hand, the girl I messaged and I are conversing so that's a plus.

Bleepey

So GAF, I just made a profile and of the two messages I sent out last nights, one responded positively to my joking message. What do I say next?

Also I just got an unsolicited message from a girl in town who is apparently a burlesque dancer, but she isn't attractive in the least plus she's got a tattoo. Should I just not message her if I'm uninterested?

EDIT: Here is the joke.
"I know a couple of homophones. They get great reception on Broadway and are much more stylish than the majority of heterophones."

She complained about the use of homophones on her message me if: portion of her profile.

I'd reply out of common courtesy. But that's just me.

Ashhong

I'm so scared about fake profiles on these sites. I found one 20 year old girl on POF who i Google reverse searched to a tumblr that says shes 16 years old. What the fuck???? Shit should be illegal.

Long distance texting to another girl who deleted her picture today. Could mean nothing but still, makes me wary lol.

Also, gotta say it again, POF selection sucks :(

Darklord

Banned
I found one 20 year old girl on POF who i Google reverse searched to a tumblr that says shes 16 years old.

ibzQPRewmMpMbN.gif

So the lady I'm seeing from OKC has said she likes me :)

But I'm not getting much interest right now from her because she says she is shy and nervous about the whole situation and she like slow progression. So she is kinda is distant with me since saying it.

So I text her a bit yesterday and Just dunno where to go from here. She is back home right now and will be back next week and said she wants to see me....but I've not txt her since yesterday...

Think I'll let this simmer for now. Ball is in her court

Dicer

Banned
I'm so scared about fake profiles on these sites. I found one 20 year old girl on POF who i Google reverse searched to a tumblr that says shes 16 years old. What the fuck???? Shit should be illegal.

Long distance texting to another girl who deleted her picture today. Could mean nothing but still, makes me wary lol.

Also, gotta say it again, POF selection sucks :(

Way too hot girl from OKC seems, too young too and she is a def scammer, oh well lol, met a normal chick that has been laughing with me about the whole thing, so lose some gain some lol.

Pastry

Banned
And I decided fuck it I'm going to bust out the peanut butter and cheese joke we'll see how that works. I tried using a slightly more serious message for my first one but I guess it didn't work as she logged on and didn't even view my profile.

Pastry

Banned
I personally don't like that message, but I can't exactly provide any better lol.

Yeah well neither do I haha. Not a lot to go on with a lot of these profiles. Any ladies here give examples of messages that they respond well to?

edit: I also combined the above message with the cheese and peanut butter joke in awesome fashion.

Little social experiment. I know a lot of women say they don't like the shirtless flexing mirror pics, but I've made some good gains in the gym and i took a pic for my progress comparison and i decided to upload it to POF and OKC.

Gonna look to see if i get more views/replies.

Ashhong

Little social experiment. I know a lot of women say they don't like the shirtless flexing mirror pics, but I've made some good gains in the gym and i took a pic for my progress comparison and i decided to upload it to POF and OKC.

Gonna look to see if i get more views/replies.

I think they hate it specifically when you have no face, and only show off your body. If you do a combo of both I don't see how it won't result in more views. I know I would at least look at a girl's profile if she had a cute face and bikini on.

I think they hate it specifically when you have no face, and only show off your body. If you do a combo of both I don't see how it won't result in more views. I know I would at least look at a girl's profile if she had a cute face and bikini on.

I do have my face in that pic and all my other pics (like 6 total). But I've specifically read on a ton of profiles that flexing pics are a turn off blah blah blah. Sometimes what people say and what they do/mean is totally different, and what i'm doing right now isn't working so i figured i'd try something new.

Ashhong

I do have my face in that pic and all my other pics (like 6 total). But I've specifically read on a ton of profiles that flexing pics are a turn off blah blah blah. Sometimes what people say and what they do/mean is totally different, and what i'm doing right now isn't working so i figured i'd try something new.

Yea I'm sure in actuality it's more a combo of picture/profile as it should be. As long as you don't sound like some douche with a huge ego.

On the positive side, I'm having some decent luck lately. Having girls message back regularly by asking them something about a favorite show they list. Working out nicely.

Yea I'm sure in actuality it's more a combo of picture/profile as it should be. As long as you don't sound like some douche with a huge ego.

On the positive side, I'm having some decent luck lately. Having girls message back regularly by asking them something about a favorite show they list. Working out nicely.

Might try the tv show line. My profile right now reads a bit...weird. I had a serious description and all but it wasn't working for me so i deleted it and wrote some random crap down.

Ashhong

Might try the tv show line. My profile right now reads a bit...weird. I had a serious description and all but it wasn't working for me so i deleted it and wrote some random crap down.

For example, if they like a show like Parks and Recreation, which I have in mine too, I say something like

"Hey how's it going? Finally a girl that likes Park and Recreation! I think Ron is the best comedic character ever developed." Then add in a line asking her something about herself.

Same exact question has worked 3 out of my last 3 messages lol. No lies in it or anything at least. I hope they dont google search me and see this.

Pastry

Banned
For example, if they like a show like Parks and Recreation, which I have in mine too, I say something like

"Hey how's it going? Finally a girl that likes Park and Recreation! I think Ron is the best comedic character ever developed." Then add in a line asking her something about herself.

Same exact question has worked 3 out of my last 3 messages lol. No lies in it or anything at least. I hope they dont google search me and see this.

Ashong and others that are successful what is the average time between your message and the response? I don't want to just send out like
20 messages a day so I'm trying to keep it pretty limited.

Heh thx, i'm def busting that one out next time.

bimet

I'm not going to act like I really know what I'm
talking about as I just started my profile this weekend and have only sent four messages but goddamn that is long.

I know! Hence the help me trim it down plead for help before. I could delete the "first thing people notice" section, as it's not adding any real value. I thought it'd be funny :(

I just tried this: "I'm a recent convert to the Inbetweeners, UK version of course. Which one of the lads is your favorite? They're all hilarious in their own little ways, but i gotta say Simon is my favorite."

We'll see how it goes.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hmm, well I've been messaging with this girl on and off all day since last night. She seems cool, but a bit intense. She basically laid out what she was looking for in message one, and was looking to set up a coffee meet-up by message 4. That's fine, I just can't tell how she'll be in person.

She was straight-up with me, so I basically told her most the things about me. I just have a slight uneasy feeling, like she might be a bit too serious for me. I guess a coffee date never hurts anything right?

Hatten

always remember
JOkio.jpg

Quoted for truth

I dont know whats wrong with that site, I answered like 200+ of those damn questions yet all my quiver results are from crazy-ass goth chicks full of ink that aren't into gaming, coding nor anything else I like, yet all were at least 87% match

BTW, any alternatives to okcupid?

Just broke up with the girlfriend of two years and we met on OKCupid. It wasn't too messy of a breakup but I feel pretty terrible for having done it. Not sure how long I should wait before getting back out there.

KissVibes

Banned
Just broke up with the girlfriend of two years and we met on OKCupid. It wasn't too messy of a breakup but I feel pretty terrible for having done it. Not sure how long I should wait before getting back out there.

Just get right back out there, buddy. Life is short and you could wind up missing your soul mate.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I need to make some serious changes to my profile. I've sent out around 100 messages, and gotten....zero responses. You'd think I was doing something egregious by that success rate.

Problem is, I don't really know what to do. Being a copywriter, you'd think I would be awesome at selling myself, but I'm really not. I don't really know what to accentuate, and what to play down.

I have no idea what women want to read in a message. I just say "Hey, you seem like a cool person, and we totally have similar interests in X and Y! Drop me a line some time" (I honestly have no idea what to say other than that. Anything else seems really sleazy, and even that seems borderline sleazy)

I'm fully aware that my profile is pretty boring, and my messages are pretty boring too, but I don't really know how to make them interesting without outright lying about who I am (something I'm not willing to do).

I've gotten PMs out of the blue from women that I have absolutely no interest in, and they seem very nice, but it is a dating site, so I didn't want to start a conversation, and then have to inevitably say "I'm not really interested" down the line. That's a waste of their time and mine, so I just ignore them.

I've done exactly this, and still have never received a reply. After 100 messages, you start wondering if people can smell your breath over the internet.

I need to make some serious changes to my profile. I've sent out around 100 messages, and gotten....zero responses. You'd think I was doing something egregious by that success rate.

Problem is, I don't really know what to do. Being a copywriter, you'd think I would be awesome at selling myself, but I'm really not. I don't really know what to accentuate, and what to play down.

I have no idea what women want to read in a message. I just say "Hey, you seem like a cool person, and we totally have similar interests in X and Y! Drop me a line some time" (I honestly have no idea what to say other than that. Anything else seems really sleazy, and even that seems borderline sleazy)

I'm fully aware that my profile is pretty boring, and my messages are pretty boring too, but I don't really know how to make them interesting without outright lying about who I am (something I'm not willing to do).

I've gotten PMs out of the blue from women that I have absolutely no interest in, and they seem very nice, but it is a dating site, so I didn't want to start a conversation, and then have to inevitably say "I'm not really interested" down the line. That's a waste of their time and mine, so I just ignore them.

I've done exactly this, and still have never received a reply. After 100 messages, you start wondering if people can smell your breath over the internet.

I'm with you. 60 messages out. 2 replies and the conversations eventually ended in non-replies.

I think I send good first messages because at least I see them visit my profile, but after that, they don't ever send a message back.

I really don't know what I'm doing so horribly wrong on my profile. I don't think it's too different from the ones posted in this thread (format-wise).

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Just get right back out there, buddy. Life is short and you could wind up missing your soul mate.

At this point, I feel like I've missed my soul mate like, 30 times over. I haven't met a girl that isn't already married or dating someone else in close to 2 years. I'm sure it's just a function of the age group I belong to, but meeting single people is fucking impossible now. Everyone has already found someone. It feels like a game of musical chairs where I didn't realize we were playing until it was over.

Jakeh111

At this point, I feel like I've missed my soul mate like, 30 times over. I haven't met a girl that isn't already married or dating someone else in close to 2 years. I'm sure it's just a function of the age group I belong to, but meeting single people is fucking impossible now. Everyone has already found someone. It feels like a game of musical chairs where I didn't realize we were playing until it was over.

How old are you?

You should totally join my support group. If I had one.

thetrin

As am I. Do you not like to date younger women?

I don't like it at all, but I compromise in the case of OKC.

I'm bald with a lot of greys, though, so I can't imagine many women younger than me are fighting each other to date a dude who looks 10 years older than he actually is.

I'm cursed to forever look attractive to women I have absolutely negative interest in.

Jakeh111

I don't like it at all, but I compromise in the case of OKC.

I'm bald with a lot of greys, though, so I can't imagine many women younger than me are fighting each other to date a dude who looks 10 years older than he actually is.

I'm cursed to forever look attractive to women I have absolutely negative interest in.

Ah I see. I am lucky enough to still look 25

thetrin

Ah I see. I am lucky enough to still look 25

I look late 30's, probably. I've looked that age since I was 18, or so. Lost my hair at 18, went grey at 22.

But hey, a 57 year old woman told me the other day that my voice was really sexy, so that's something...I guess. (my voice is probably my best non-intellectual asset)

thetrin

Well I am dating a really cool 35 yo, no kids, owns a house and has her shit together. THERE IS HOPE MAN!

Well, of course there's hope. I'm just incredibly tired of the search. I feel like I've had to search 10x harder than anyone else I know. It's infuriating. I'm sure there's something on my profile that is chasing everyone away. I find it very hard to believe that my profile is so naturally unattractive that literally NO ONE that has seen it has given two shits to reply to a message I've sent them.

Every relationship I've been in in the last 10 or so years has been a complete train wreck. You start to view every possible relationship as being yet another potential train wreck when that's your past experience.

Ashhong

Ashong and others that are successful what is the average time between your message and the response? I don't want to just send out like
20 messages a day so I'm trying to keep it pretty limited.

Hmm, well more often than not, I message a girl that is currently online. Usually if she's not though, I give it about 24 hours before I assume the worst. If there's no response within like 2 days she probably won't respond imo. What's wrong with sending out all your messages at once?

I just tried this: "I'm a recent convert to the Inbetweeners, UK version of course. Which one of the lads is your favorite? They're all hilarious in their own little ways, but i gotta say Simon is my favorite."

We'll see how it goes.

Let me know, sounds good.

Quoted for truth

I dont know whats wrong with that site, I answered like 200+ of those damn questions yet all my quiver results are from crazy-ass goth chicks full of ink that aren't into gaming, coding nor anything else I like, yet all were at least 87% match

BTW, any alternatives to okcupid?

I think the % match is all based on the questions arent they? I don't think I've seen very many gaming or coding questions. It's all based on stupid ass questions like what hand your glove will fit if inside out lol.

POF.com. It sucks though, for me at least.

Holy fuck, my views on POF just went through the fucking roof.

Scored 2 digits too, good nights work all around

http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/6/62/Feels_goodman.jpg

Whoa nice, change anything? I have got 0 profile views after a few days. Hate POF.

Tell her you'll go to her house instead lol

Oh I fucked up epically. Asked her to meet at the local pub in case she was crazy, instead shes a young gorgeous model and i thought we hit it off well. I walked her home (obvs 100 metres away from where I live) and we smooched, she told me she was looking forward to our next date and... I haven't heard from her since :( Feels bad man

Ashhong

Oh I fucked up epically. Asked her to meet at the local pub in case she was crazy, instead shes a young gorgeous model and i thought we hit it off well. I walked her home (obvs 100 metres away from where I live) and we smooched, she told me she was looking forward to our next date and... I haven't heard from her since :( Feels bad man

Young gorgeous model that goes on an online dating site and tries to go to a strangers house down the street without ever talking to them? I don't know...she must be mentally unstable lol.

Have you tried just calling her or knocking on her door haha

Young gorgeous model that goes on an online dating site and tries to go to a strangers house down the street without ever talking to them? I don't know...she must be mentally unstable lol.

Have you tried just calling her or knocking on her door haha

Lol. I'm biding my time. We went out friday and our next date was 'planned' for tomorrow so i'll give her a tinkle tonight and see if she responds. I've just got a feeling she was looking for fun and she thinks i'm looking for a relationship (i didn't say this but i insisted on a date first). I really don't want to knock on her door either, i'd feel like a creep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom