• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zlatko

Banned
I had an extremely confusing weekend with the girlfriend. We were broken up for about 1 hour, then shit went down.

Not going to go into details because I'll write up a manifesto. Going to keep working at this relationship and just stop over analyzing it and trying to force a speed on it or expectations of what it should be.

I like hanging out with her and vice versa. That's cool enough for now. If later on things get more serious great, if not, oh well.

Prolly going to shut down the OKC. Was only getting a few bites anyway that were standard "meh" fair.

Do any Asian gaffers or friends of gaffers get any success off these sites?

I didn't have any luck using cupid or plenty of fish. I got a few messages with web chatting but it didn't go beyond that. I'm having more luck on single muslims, I've been messaging a lebenese girl who is interested in meeting, we just need to decide on a day and a neutral location.

Can a white guy join that place?

anyone can join. it's a paid service so while you can browse the girls or boys and receive messages, you can't read them or reply until you pay.

salaamlove is better if you don't want to pay, you can upload a picture and they give you access to messaging.

megamerican

Okay so this reasonably hot girl just messaged me out of the blue. At first I cannot believe my luck. But now she is like peppering me with questions, she has asked me repeatedly what I do for a living. When I try to steer things in the direction of interests she basically deflects and asks for for more pictures / Facebook. I feel like I'm being vetted, and I don't even know if we have anything in common. I don't really have anything to hide but don't feel like playing this game to be honest.

Should I just bail out?

Address it head on. Make a joke about her interrogating you if you can, if she doesn't back off or explain herself then she may not be worth your time.

megamerican

Address it head on. Make a joke about her interrogating you if you can, if she doesn't back off or explain herself then she may not be worth your time.

Haha I just tried this with the most passive aggressive joke I could muster. It will probably just lead to no further contact, but fuck it.

I'm beginning to wonder about this whole thing really. The people seem so weird.

Poody

What program do you use to photoshop a picture?
Do any Asian gaffers or friends of gaffers get any success off these sites?

yea bro, met a few breezy's on okc.

If anyone has rated me on OKC, what do you guys think of my profile? too blunt, suggestions?

Pastry

Banned
Hot girl messages you. Doesn't reply to your first reply. lolz.

Hot girl messages you back (hottest one yet actually), hasn't logged back in in a week lolz.

That's when you gotta play hard to get. Don't answer the message for a few days lest she think you're desperate.

Do y'all really play the 2 or 3 day rule on OKC? I'v got the app and notifications set up so I'll respond relatively fast. Not like instantly, but I don't see anything wrong with responding like 45 minutes later (I think it also says sent from the OKC app so it's kind of apparent you have that set up).

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Been messaging this extremely attractive girl for a day or two now, got her number. We have an insane amount of things in common it seems, gonna try to see if she wants to go to Riotfest this weekend.

tearsofash

Hot girl messages you back (hottest one yet actually), hasn't logged back in in a week lolz.

Do y'all really play the 2 or 3 day rule on OKC? I'v got the app and notifications set up so I'll respond relatively fast. Not like instantly, but I don't see anything wrong with responding like 45 minutes later (I think it also says sent from the OKC app so it's kind of apparent you have that set up).

I'll respond from the app quick, but I like to wait if I'm not using the app. The app gives off the impression I'm out and about being a fun dude. Using it from the regular site probably infers I'm just some hover-hand dweeb who is at home on his computer instead of out being cool.

SeriousApes

This thing has decided that I am significantly worse mannered than the majority of straight men my age. How did that happen? I think if Staff Robot met me in person, he or she would realize that I'm actually pretty polite.

Ashhong

Hmm so I'm confused about how this works. Normally you only show up once as a visitor and if you return to the profile it will just update with the new time instead of adding a second visit?

With anonymous browsing you're anonymous and won't show up as a visitor at all?

When you visit a girl for the first time, and you aren't anonymous, you show up on her list on the right side of her home page, as well as a notification.

When you visit again, the time you visited gets updated and you move up her visitor list, but she isn't directly notified.

When you are anonymous, she doesn't see you visit at all, and you don't see anybody visit you.

Got a date set up with a girl I've been texting back and forth quite a bit this weekend. She's really chill and nice and I love her personality but without sounding like a jerk, she's not my usual type. She's not ugly or bad or anything, just not my type. Will see what happens. Great personality, though she's really religious which might be a problem later.

Got a date set up with a girl I've been texting back and forth quite a bit this weekend. She's really chill and nice and I love her personality but without sounding like a jerk, she's not my usual type. She's not ugly or bad or anything, just not my type. Will see what happens.

I know what you mean, i'm texting a girl that's bigger than i usually go for. I'm trying to give it a chance, but i can't say i'm excited at all.

Amory

So I went with the harmless "Maybe we can do this again" to a girl I wasn't really into at the end of our date. Now she's texting asking if I meant it when I said we could go out again. How do I let her down easy, gaf?

So I went with the harmless "Maybe we can do this again" to a girl I wasn't really into at the end of our date. Now she's texting asking if I meant it when I said we could go out again. How do I let her down easy, gaf?
You can't. You shouldn't have lied. You're having to say now what you should have said then.

DrBo42

When you visit a girl for the first time, and you aren't anonymous, you show up on her list on the right side of her home page, as well as a notification.

When you visit again, the time you visited gets updated and you move up her visitor list, but she isn't directly notified.

When you are anonymous, she doesn't see you visit at all, and you don't see anybody visit you.

Got a date set up with a girl I've been texting back and forth quite a bit this weekend. She's really chill and nice and I love her personality but without sounding like a jerk, she's not my usual type. She's not ugly or bad or anything, just not my type. Will see what happens. Great personality, though she's really religious which might be a problem later.
That's when I hit eject.

Ashhong

I know what you mean, i'm texting a girl that's bigger than i usually go for. I'm trying to give it a chance, but i can't say i'm excited at all.

The more I talk to her the more attracted I am to her right now. Really close to what I look for personality wise, from what I can tell. Plus she gyms and exercises a lot so like, it can all change haha.

That's when I hit eject.

Yea..this is a big if. We haven't even talked about religion once though, so we'll see.

The influx of new members seems to have slowed down though. I see no new members in the last 2 days with my search parameters.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Ok, I texted this girl for a few hours last night that contacted me first on OKC and that lives a few hours away. I drive 2 hours in every direction to hang out with people in different cities and go to concerts in different cities. I don't expect to meet up with her anytime soon, but she seems like she could be a cool friend to chill with every so often since we have the same interests if we're in the same city.

So, since this is mainly text communication, how do I do this without her replies stopping all of a sudden? I hate that shit. I getting tired of talking to people then getting cut off randomly for good. Making new friends is quite important to me, despite it being a dating website.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Was just perusing the OKC as I usually do in the evening and found this gem:

NO GUYS UNDER 6 FEET TALL!!! AND PLEASE ONLY IF YOU MAKE $200,000K or MORE!!

NO LOSERS!!!

only guys who are good enough to talk to me! That means you are hot and over 5'11" (so I can wear my heels!!) and make at least six figures!! You should also be a gentlemen and wine and dine me!! haha

Also, I KNOW I'M HOT, so if that's your pick up line, DON'T EVEN TRY LOSER! lol

bimet

How long do you guys usually make your first messages? Is it best to go with a simple, "Hello, you're awesome for liking __ and ___. How are you?" or do you try to add a little bit of substance by pointing out your shared interests in more detail? I've been experimenting with both, and I think people don't usually go for detailed messages, unless they're really attracted to you and have a 99% match rating...

UFRA

That wasn't exactly a harmless way to end it.

Next time, end it with a "Have a good night" or something neutral.

Just tell her you're not sure if you'll have much free time now since you're real busy or something. She'll get the hint I suppose.

Or you can just tell her the truth.

The more I talk to her the more attracted I am to her right now. Really close to what I look for personality wise, from what I can tell. Plus she gyms and exercises a lot so like, it can all change haha.

Sounds good man, let us know how it goes.

Any one ever use the broadcast function on the OKC app? I'm thinking of throwing something out this weekend see if any one good bites and wants to hang. Don't have much expectations, but i think it's worth a try.

Pastry

Banned
I don't understand girls and OKCupid :| Why would you take the time to respond to my messages, express interest and ask questions about my profile and then not respond to my second message. Oh well, on to the next girl. I'm still waiting for that hottie to log back on and respond (if she does log back on, been a week).

I don't understand girls and OKCupid :| Why would you take the time to respond to my messages, express interest and ask questions about my profile and then not respond to my second message. Oh well, on to the next girl. I'm still waiting for that hottie to log back on and respond (if she does log back on, been a week).

This does seem to be a surprisingly common event and I dont understand the logic behind it.

DrBo42

Ok, I texted this girl for a few hours last night that contacted me first on OKC and that lives a few hours away. I drive 2 hours in every direction to hang out with people in different cities and go to concerts in different cities. I don't expect to meet up with her anytime soon, but she seems like she could be a cool friend to chill with every so often since we have the same interests if we're in the same city.

So, since this is mainly text communication, how do I do this without her replies stopping all of a sudden? I hate that shit. I getting tired of talking to people then getting cut off randomly for good. Making new friends is quite important to me, despite it being a dating website.

Just ask her to hang out some time. It seems like already having an event in mind yields better success so if you know a band you're both into that's playing in the near future, ask her to go.

Pastry

Banned
The amount of girls in Texas that want a country boy with a big truck is just kind of humorous, most of them are pretty hot too. Not that I have a good match % with them since I'm a city boy and pretty liberal in the first place but geeze.

Maybe because in that time they've become more interested in someone else.

It's weird how many of you guys take these things so personally and assume your messages to another girl are like all she gets or that they don't have lives.

Pastry

Banned
Maybe because in that time they've become more interested in someone else.

It's weird how many of you guys take these things so personally and assume your messages to another girl are like all she gets or that they don't have lives.

You assume I'm taking this personally, just making an observation on how strange it is (and it is kind of odd).

Pastry

Banned
No, it's actually the common experience. Every single one of us can talk about how it's happened. Interesting, attractive girls have a lot of choices.

Condescending tone is slightly unnecessary not that I take offense (if you didn't mean to be condescending, my bad). I'm new to OKCupid, I have sent a grand total of fifteen messages. Felt like making an observation based off my experience thus far.

Anyways... What's the farthest distance y'all are willing to go for a girl on this? My metro area is pretty large and covers several cities so there are girls that pop up that are easily an hour drive away.

UFRA

When I was using OKC I found that the one thing you have to realize is this:

Unless you look like Brad Pitt, there's always gonna be that guy who's better looking than you. Unfortunately, a ton of people on OKC can be shallow and immediately judge a person by their profile pictures and nothing else at first. If you're "worthy" of being looked into further you may get a message. However, keep in mind that you should be putting your best into it, because at any moment some bastard who looks better could come in and snatch her right up.

I only landed one successful meeting with a girl from OKC. She was nerdy, shy, and kind of sheltered from a lot of life experiences from what I could tell. She was attractive to me, but not exactly the level of attraction I was looking for. Very nice person, and we went on 3 dates in 3 weeks. Just wasn't what I was looking for.

I consider myself a somewhat above average (but not super hot) looking guy, and even I feel that I NEVER stood a chance with the "hot" girls. However, it never stopped me from giving good solid messages out. If you lose interest in it, take a break for a while. Otherwise you just start sending out shit messages and will get discouraged even more.

In the meantime, pray, think, hope, whatever it is you prefer - that you just meet someone naturally in person. It's a lot easier...oh shit is it so much easier lol...

Always remember online dating should be an accessory to searching in real life, not your primary method.

Amory

When I was using OKC I found that the one thing you have to realize is this:

Unless you look like Brad Pitt, there's always gonna be that guy who's better looking than you. Unfortunately, a ton of people on OKC can be shallow and immediately judge a person by their profile pictures and nothing else at first. If you're "worthy" of being looked into further you may get a message. However, keep in mind that you should be putting your best into it, because at any moment some bastard who looks better could come in and snatch her right up.

I only landed one successful meeting with a girl from OKC. She was nerdy, shy, and kind of sheltered from a lot of life experiences from what I could tell. She was attractive to me, but not exactly the level of attraction I was looking for. Very nice person, and we went on 3 dates in 3 weeks. Just wasn't what I was looking for.

I consider myself a somewhat above average (but not super hot) looking guy, and even I feel that I NEVER stood a chance with the "hot" girls. However, it never stopped me from giving good solid messages out. If you lose interest in it, take a break for a while. Otherwise you just start sending out shit messages and will get discouraged even more.

In the meantime, pray, think, hope, whatever it is you prefer - that you just meet someone naturally in person. It's a lot easier...oh shit is it so much easier lol...

Always remember online dating should be an accessory to searching in real life, not your primary method.

*nods*

I really have to stop being a pussy and just approach girls in real life, at the bar or whatever. OKCupid is a nice thing in concept, but I have to imagine it's way harder to land a pretty, interesting girl on a website where she's getting a hundred messages a day than to just go up to one and say hi.

Pastry

Banned
*nods*

I really have to stop being a pussy and just approach girls in real life, at the bar or whatever. OKCupid is a nice thing in concept, but I have to imagine it's way harder to land a pretty, interesting girl on a website where she's getting a hundred messages a day than to just go up to one and say hi.

Use a wingman or wingwoman and approach two girls, much easier to strike up conversation that way if you have trouble by yourself. Then you just have to argue with your friend about who gets who. I'v had a surprising amount of luck using a wingwoman as of recently, I guess it makes them more comfortable if its not just two dudes.

UFRA

*nods*

Yup. I imagine most girls don't get approached by guys for dates on a daily basis, but online they literally get XX number of messages per day from a wide range of potentially appealing guys. It's a losing battle online in some ways, but it certainly does work for some.

Personally, I made the mistake contrary to my own advice above (this is how I learned the hard way you can't rely on online dating)...I used online dating as my primary strategy. I moved to a new area for a job, and knew no one. I thought online dating would help me meet new people. I used this excuse for too long (1.5 years) and only met that 1 freakin' girl I mentioned above. Just as I was starting to get discouraged and depressed, I realized that a co-worker of mine and I shared feelings for each other for some time and we acted upon that. Never looked back since lol.

Use a wingman or wingwoman and approach two girls, much easier to strike up conversation that way if you have trouble by yourself. Then you just have to argue with your friend about who gets who. I'v had a surprising amount of luck using a wingwoman as of recently, I guess it makes them more comfortable if its not just two dudes.

Absolutely.

Rookje

So what do you guys include in messages? I've only messaged one girl so far, just haven't had time lately. She's viewed my profile twice since then, but hasn't replied...

Also, do you guys get messages from other guys? How the hell does that happen... I had to take a double take to make sure my profile said I'm straight.

Lastly, all the girls that are in my "Viewed your profile" are way better looking than the ones I find through "My matches" or searching. What's up with that?

Al-ibn Kermit

I haven't checked back on this thread in a while but I'm having pretty decent luck so far. Dated a few different girls and so far they all seem really cool except for one but she moved away so that's all good.

But here's a horrible and funny story that a friend of mine told me, she was actually the one that suggested I try out this site.

She's a very attractive looking girl who used to do some modeling and she usually gets 40-50 messages a week. Most of them are really creepy or meaningless but there was this one guy who she went back-and-forth with and he seemed interesting so they went out. On the first date, the conversation somehow went like this:

Him: "So have you gotten any surgeries?"
Friend: "...No, I'm all natural."
Him: "No offense, but I can tell you've had some stuff done."
Friend: "Well if anything, I would take that as a compliment. But no, I've never had any surgeries at all. Not even for like medical reasons."
Him: "No I can tell you're lying. You've had a really bad nose job and whoever did your cheeks made them asymmetrical."

I was just uncontrollably laughing and apologizing when she told me this. Eventually, he got the message that she really never had surgery, and of course they never went out again. I guess it goes to show that as long as you're not an asshole, you do have a better chance than most guys.

Okay so this reasonably hot girl just messaged me out of the blue. At first I cannot believe my luck. But now she is like peppering me with questions, she has asked me repeatedly what I do for a living. When I try to steer things in the direction of interests she basically deflects and asks for for more pictures / Facebook. I feel like I'm being vetted, and I don't even know if we have anything in common. I don't really have anything to hide but don't feel like playing this game to be honest.

Should I just bail out?

Just say you're not interested in sharing a bunch of personal information unless it looks like you actually have something in common.

I haven't checked back on this thread in a while but I'm having pretty decent luck so far. Dated a few different girls and so far they all seem really cool except for one but she moved away so that's all good.

But here's a horrible and funny story that a friend of mine told me, she was actually the one that suggested I try out this site.

She's a very attractive looking girl who used to do some modeling and she usually gets 40-50 messages a week. Most of them are really creepy or meaningless but there was this one guy who she went back-and-forth with and he seemed interesting so they went out. On the first date, the conversation somehow went like this:

Him: "So have you gotten any surgeries?"
Friend: "...No, I'm all natural."
Him: "No offense, but I can tell you've had some stuff done."
Friend: "Well if anything, I would take that as a compliment. But no, I've never had any surgeries at all. Not even for like medical reasons."
Him: "No I can tell you're lying. You've had a really bad nose job and whoever did your cheeks made them asymmetrical."

I was just uncontrollably laughing and apologizing when she told me this. Eventually, he got the message that she really never had surgery, and of course they never went out again. I guess it goes to show that as long as you're not an asshole, you do have a better chance than most guys.

Just say you're not interested in sharing a bunch of personal information unless it looks like you actually have something in common.
Dude was negging her with stupid PUA shit he read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom