• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darklord

Banned
After learning a bit about myself, dating, and relationships I decided to check this site out again and realized...fuck a lot of these girls are dull as a cardboard box. Almost on the point of being unattractively boring. Sorry, a photo of cleavage doesn't cut it. Why did I ever bother trying to message half these women?

After learning a bit about myself, dating, and relationships I decided to check this site out again and realized...fuck a lot of these girls are dull as a cardboard box. Almost on the point of being unattractively boring. Sorry, a photo of cleavage doesn't cut it. Why did I ever bother trying to message half these women?

I'm not trying to be rude, but why in the fuck do you think they're on an online dating site? Hint: it largely has to do with self esteem or their personalities.

Darklord

Banned
I'm not trying to be rude, but why in the fuck do you think they're on an online dating site? Hint: it largely has to do with self esteem or their personalities.

Some maybe but not everyone is on there because of that. So many profiles or messages are just garbage. Trash. Junk.

Bleepey

I love the girl's with the laziest profiles lamenting about the quality of messages they get. Have they thought their lazy profiles deserve lazy messages?

Some maybe but not everyone is on there because of that. So many profiles or messages are just garbage. Trash. Junk.

What do you expect from a free dating site with so many users? If anything I'm surprised by how many profiles are well-written, thoughtful, and witty.

But yes, occasionally I'll find a profile that's so devoid of content that I literally cannot write anything even remotely interesting so I pass.

Ashhong

You sort your matches or results by those with an average of 5 stars from users.

Huh..never seen that option. Will try it.

What do you expect from a free dating site with so many users? If anything I'm surprised by how many profiles are well-written, thoughtful, and witty.

But yes, occasionally I'll find a profile that's so devoid of content that I literally cannot write anything even remotely interesting so I pass.

I hate it when their profiles are that empty but they're so hot. I try desperately to think of something clever but nothing comes.

Her going back to your place is a big hint :)

I too would not have gotten the hint though, so I can't talk.

Well that's what I thought but she even said "This isn't an invitation for sex, but let's just go back to your place and hang out."

Fuck me!!! just typing this out I'm realizing what I should have done. What an epic fail.

mooooose

This site is depressing if you care at all about getting a girl or your self esteem hinges on a girl's message.

This site is fun as FUCK if you're treating it like a party and just being a loud asshole. Holy fuck.

Pastry

Banned
This site is depressing if you care at all about getting a girl or your self esteem hinges on a girl's message.

This site is fun as FUCK if you're treating it like a party and just being a loud asshole. Holy fuck.

Do people that get frustrated with OKCupid go out on weekends (or during the week) and try to meet/flirt with girls? I haven't had much luck with OKC in my brief time with it but I also go out every weekend, and at least once during the week, and I'm working on several girls at the moment (at least I think so haha) so I treat it as a diversion. It's a lot less frustrating if you don't use it as your primary method of meeting girls.

Do people that get frustrated with OKCupid go out on weekends (or during the week) and try to meet/flirt with girls? I haven't had much luck with OKC in my brief time with it but I also go out every weekend, and at least once during the week, and I'm working on several girls at the moment (at least I think so haha) so I treat it as a diversion. It's a lot less frustrating if you don't use it as your primary method of meeting girls.

For me it's just something to pass the time. I have probably been on like 4 dates from there in the last year. I dont really care that much. I also hate dating. I find it a huge waste of time and money. I'm also divorced which might make me not care. I would rather just hang out with friends and watch sports and play video games on the weekends.

Ferrio

Banned

I had the best luck on the site when coming home drunk and just going wild with messages.

Way too busy during the week. I'm out of college, so parties and whatnot aren't the same. I don't/can't pick up girls at bars (and I fucking hate clubs). So no, I don't really go out.

I'll talk to women where I find them, but that's not been fruitful lately. If I had a lot of other options, I wouldn't be on the site.

I think that's what's so disappointing. If you're thinking, "Oh, I'm actually serious about dating, and I don't want to just fuck around at a club." then you're going to get frustrated. But if I was the type who could just go to some lame LA club and dance and hook up with a random girl, what would I need this site for?

Sigh.

Pastry

Banned
Way too busy during the week. I'm out of college, so parties and whatnot aren't the same. I don't/can't pick up girls at bars (and I fucking hate clubs). So no, I don't really go out.

I'll talk to women where I find them, but that's not been fruitful lately. If I had a lot of other options, I wouldn't be on the site.

I think that's what's so disappointing. If you're thinking, "Oh, I'm actually serious about dating, and I don't want to just fuck around at a club." then you're going to get frustrated. But if I was the type who could just go to some lame LA club and dance and hook up with a random girl, what would I need this site for?

Sigh.

/shrug I'm out of college also so yeah it is a lot different picking up and finding girls now, loved me some house parties. I don't really like picking girls up at bars (I hate clubs and never go to them) either but I'll do it because why not if I get the chance. Like 95% the girls I pick up are friends or acquaintances of my friends, much easier that way at least for me. I get where you're coming from.

Necrovex

I decided to delete both of my Okcupid and PoF accounts. I realized yesterday, after speaking to a woman about a potential date, that I do not have enough time in my schedule to be dating anyone at the moment. And the decent likelihood of me leaving the state by the summer raises even more reasons for me not to enter a relationship.

So, as of today, I am entering a hiatus from the dating scene.

Goddamn, I hate where I live. The only girls that are remotely interesting are almost a two hour drive away. I'm don't have the time nor the empathy to date someone that lives that far out. I'm on the verge of deleting this and my pof account simply because I think they both depress me more than anything.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
How do I sort by rating?

Yea this. I tried to sort by 5 star ratings but I don't see that shit anywhere.

(Drop down menu between messages and notifications) -> Ratings -> 4-5 stars (on rightside)

That's as sorted as it gets, I think.

Goddamn, I hate where I live. The only girls that are remotely interesting are almost a two hour drive away. I'm don't have the time nor the empathy to date someone that lives that far out. I'm on the verge of deleting this and my pof account simply because I think they both depress me more than anything.

I'm with you on that.

Ashhong

(Drop down menu between messages and notifications) -> Ratings -> 4-5 stars (on rightside)

That's as sorted as it gets, I think.

I'm with you on that.

Oh, that just shows who I rated highly. Someone mentioned sorting the search results to only show girls with high averages.

they want a kiss

No, I'm referring to standards. Some women have height, income, etc. listed and there's no room for negotiation. I do not understand why so many women are down on "dinner and a movie". When I read stuff like, "I'm sick of going to a dinner and a movie. Be spontaneous and surprise me!" I roll my eyes. You cannot and will not win with these types of women.

UFRA

No, I'm referring to standards. Some women have height, income, etc. listed and there's no room for negotiation. I do not understand why so many women are down on "dinner and a movie". When I read stuff like, "I'm sick of going to a dinner and a movie. Be spontaneous and surprise me!" I roll my eyes. You cannot and will not win with these types of women.

Well, to be fair, no one should do dinner and a movie as a first date.

Well, to be fair, no one should do dinner and a movie as a first date.

No one should do a movie on the first date, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking someone out to eat. But even some girls would expect you to dazzle them with some fancy restaurant. A lot of people are single because they are delusional with their expectations.

So.. just signed up for the first time. Judging by the horror stories.. I was very skeptical.

But yep.. in the first 15 minutes, I've already received a message from a girl. This is pretty normal, right? I didn't even bother messaging anyone because I was going to do it when I had more time to look at profiles.

UFRA

What's wrong with dinner and a movie :(

I'm not a big fan of dinner on a first date, it's pretty generic and stale.

But a movie is a big no-no for sure. You sit silently in the dark for 1-2 hours and can't talk. What a great way to get to know someone.

But a movie is a big no-no for sure. You sit silently in the dark for 1-2 hours and can't talk. What a great way to get to know someone.

When you live in an area like I do, your option, and only option, for dating is taking someone out for dinner.

lol What would that be? Small town or something?

Absolutely. The nearest big city is Charlotte and Charlotte is one of the worst big cities in America. There where articles written about how there is nothing to do there during the DNC so you can imagine what is is like living in one of the smaller towns in NC.

UFRA

Absolutely. The nearest big city is Charlotte and Charlotte is one of the worst big cities in America. There where articles written about how there is nothing to do there during the DNC so you can imagine what is is like living in one of the smaller towns in NC.

Yikes. Well yeah in your case you gotta do what you gotta do!

Ashhong

I went on a first date where we did random stuff for like 5 hours and then decided to end it on a movie. It worked out just fine. Sure we couldn't talk much (still made little comments to each other during the movie) but it gives a lot to talk about after too, depending on the movie. Of course, I get what you're saying, and a movie is not ideal.

Not sure what's wrong with dinner though. Not as the entire date, but part of it at least.

UFRA

I went on a first date where we did random stuff for like 5 hours and then decided to end it on a movie. It worked out just fine. Sure we couldn't talk much (still made little comments to each other during the movie) but it gives a lot to talk about after too, depending on the movie. Of course, I get what you're saying, and a movie is not ideal.

Not sure what's wrong with dinner though. Not as the entire date, but part of it at least.

Personally I've found that doing something more active is better than dinner. I've used dinner as a 2nd or 3rd date option, and yes - not as the whole date - but as the 'main attraction' so to speak.

On a first date, generally people are nervous, unsure of things, etc. So sitting face to face stuck at a table for a solid hour or so doesn't help. I used things like mini-golf or bowling for example. You can have funny things happen, like a crappy shot, or whatever. Also a good chance for physical contact and flirting.

Dinner is kind of an intimate environment, and IMO it's better once you're comfortable with the person.

If it works for you on first dates, great. But the whole "dinner and a movie" date is so common I think it's better to be different. lol

mooooose

OK, so I've just been going on to fuck around, but then I found this girl randomly who has the same music taste as me, and I was VERY excited, so I sent her a message, and she sent back saying she was also very excited, and said it was a dream, and then we said we were both going to certain band's concert, and I said my friend may not be able to go and asked if she wanted to meet up and she said that would be amazing, and then I said I was going to bed so I gave her my number and went to bed but in the middle of the night I woke up and she deleted her account and I don't have her number.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

She was beautiful, funny, we had a ton of the same interests. The only thing was some distance (I'm out on LI, shes in Queens but whatever we could still hang out and talk even if we don't exclusively date).

I am about to rage out right now.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
OK, so I've just been going on to fuck around, but then I found this girl randomly who has the same music taste as me, and I was VERY excited, so I sent her a message, and she sent back saying she was also very excited, and said it was a dream, and then we said we were both going to certain band's concert, and I said my friend may not be able to go and asked if she wanted to meet up and she said that would be amazing, and then I said I was going to bed so I gave her my number and went to bed but in the middle of the night I woke up and she deleted her account and I don't have her number.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

She was beautiful, funny, we had a ton of the same interests. The only thing was some distance (I'm out on LI, shes in Queens but whatever we could still hang out and talk even if we don't exclusively date).

I am about to rage out right now.

She was faaaaaaaaaaaaaake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom