• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dralla

Really? Satisfying as in, filling right? I can't find healthy and filling food for cheap.

Eggs, avocados, coconuts, chicken, almonds/almond butter, canned tuna/salmon, greek yogurt, cheese, things covered in butter!

I'd say apples too, but I know fruit isn't filling to a lot of people.

Invisible Man

aka SexyNerd
All in all it adds up to one amazing person.

The question is are you willing to dig to uncover it all?

Does this shit work? lol, you are lucky you are good looking. You must get a decent amount of messages, it says you reply selectively

Haha, I don't know. I guess I'll see if it does.

You'd be pretty surprised at how little messages I get. Living in a rural area sucks.

Seriously how do you get away with this shit?

Well I just finished editing my profile, so I won't know if it works or not yet. I'll give it a week or two and see then.

bjb

Banned
Yeah, I've got a couple messages from girls asking why am I on here and that I am very good looking.

I don't even know what to say. I had to re-read most of it because quite frankly it's pretty dumb. You're not a bad looking dude. If you want constructive criticism all I can really say is that there's certain phrases (coupled with a few pictures) that just scream douche to me.

You're attempting to create this perception of being a deep intellectual, but at the same time contradicting all of it by coming off as a clown. Are these lines from jersey shore or something?

If it's working for you, then by all means - keep doing what you're doing. Yet I am inclined to believe it hasn't, given that you're still single and updating your info to begin with. I can't imagine anyone but superficial airheads being swooned by this nonsense lol

Invisible Man

aka SexyNerd
I don't even know what to say. I had to re-read most of it because quite frankly it's pretty dumb. You're not a bad looking dude. If you want constructive criticism all I can really say is that there's certain phrases (coupled with a few pictures) that just scream douche to me.

You're attempting to create this perception of being a deep intellectual, but at the same time contradicting all of it by coming off as a clown. Are these lines from jersey shore or something?

If it's working for you, then by all means - keep doing what you're doing. Yet I am inclined to believe it hasn't, given that you're still single and updating your info to begin with. I can't imagine anyone but superficial airheads being swooned by this nonsense lol

Ouch. But I do appreciate the honesty. I'll take your critiques and try to correct the juxtaposition of what I'm trying to project about myself and what my pics show.

I just decided to take the dive and try it out a few days ago mostly to see what happens. It couldn't hurt with it being free either.

At first just had a blank profile to see how it works but answered a good number of match questions. Added a picture last night and filled out the rest of the profile. Gonna hold off messaging anybody for now but curious to see if I get any legitimate messages. Probably will try to message someone in about a week or so.

My only real concern was the whole stigma around online dating in the past and what my friends or family might say, but it seems nowadays that most everyone accepts online dating as no different than any other method. It's not like it's any different than meeting someone on Facebook.

I'm actually really excited about the prospect of this now. Hopefully it works out.

Lucario

That awkward moment when you go in to check your messages and find your ex in suggestions....

complete with the "hasn't been messaged in over two weeks" message.

Day = made.

Lucario

Did you meet her on the site or have no idea prior to now that she was on there?

naw, I met him at school. No idea prior. Didn't click on the profile 'cos idgaf, but it was still a nice self-esteem boost to find hi
s cheating ass
on there un-messaged.

Also I think my account got marked as "replies very selectively" and I only get a few messages a week now =\ should I start a new one, or should I just start responding to people I'm not even slightly attracted to? I really dislike the "replies X" system. You shouldn't feel expected to reply to everything, it's bad for both parties.

(I hadn't been on the website for a few months and kept getting messages.)

Lucario

Oh, we're doing profile critiques? Have at it!

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/dpifko

And thank you.

Seems like a great profile to me. One of the few I've seen that's wordy without reeking desperation.

Mild nitpick: shorten the "I've got my own special brand of weirdness" paragraph a little bit, or at least put it lower. Even though I understand what you're saying and agree, putting it that high might make some people skimming profiles have second thoughts.

here's where the problem is:

"The image I have in my head of my perfect woman is someone who is intelligent, compassionate, excitable, optimistic, nerdy, and is open with her feelings. She probably likes to play games, go camping, and spend a whole day in her pjs once in a while. She's got a good head on her shoulders and is working towards what she wants out of life."

Your expectations do not go in a profile. You're going to make any nerdy girl incredibly insecure with that. If you don't like a girl, do not respond to her.

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/_rainbowDash/

someone check my "replies X" thing

Oh, we're doing profile critiques? Have at it!

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/dpifko

And thank you.

If I were a girl, I'd message you, not like that helps at all. It's a great profile, doesn't get boring, and gives a good picture of yourself.

@Roh, I'd change the droid line, many women won't understand it and some of the ones that do might be annoyed by it. Also, the tv comment makes it appear that you are lazy, at least to me. I'd make your self summary more interesting and attention grabbing.

If I were a girl, I'd message you, not like that helps at all. It's a great profile, doesn't get boring, and gives a good picture of yourself.

tumblr_m62bategSX1qinenj.jpg

First thing I'd recommend is more pictures, and make sure there's a bit of variety. Show some shots of you out with friends, or camping, or doing something. Your pictures are not just for showing what you look like, they're opportunities for a visual representation of who you are, what you do, etc. Lucario had his PAX shot and that's a perfect example. Shit like that says a lot. And I tend to disagree with this, but I guess mirror shots are frowned upon.

Also, the "I'm not perfect" line isn't going to do you any favors. Better to list a specific personal fault or embarrassing personal tidbit. Or just leave the section blank, some people do that.
Looks pretty solid to me. I would recommend that you take pride in your nerdy abilities, though. Don't use that shame face! I also thought your message me section was a little off-putting, even if there was some truth to it. Maybe just try softening it up a bit? Just my two cents.

RoH

@Roh, I'd change the droid line, many women won't understand it and some of the ones that do might be annoyed by it. Also, the tv comment makes it appear that you are lazy, at least to me. I'd make your self summary more interesting and attention grabbing.

Okay, done. what do you think?

Just thought I'd update since the last disastrous post. I had a good talk with one of my friends, a psychic, and she made me feel a lot better about the whole thing. The girl told me yesterday that she broke up with me because she couldn't give me a guarantee of how things were going to work out in the future. At the time it worried me that she was so uncertain but now I can see that we should've been living for the moment and not worrying about what *may* happen.

Anyway, we talked pretty much all day yesterday as friends, not at all about what had happened. I was fine with it all yesterday and really happy about being able to stay friends with her... that was until I woke up to a message from her this morning. It was a nice message simply telling me she'd been out shopping for clothes, but it somehow just pushed me over the edge into being unsure about the friends thing. From going to saying 'I love you' to being bestest friends in a day without even a fight just feels weird. It's like it's all happening in reverse.

Invisible Man

aka SexyNerd
How come you didn't reply to them all? I always reply out of common courtesy.

Well they were girls that I weren't attracted to and I don't really want to get their hopes up. I've done it in the past and it just turns into a conversation I don't have the interest in continuing.

Do you just thank them for the message and say unfortunately you aren't my type?

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Was supposed to meet a girl tonight for a drink, but she hasn't responded to me in the past 2 days, which is really odd seeing as how we were going back and forth the whole week. This is the shit that pisses me off. It's even worse since she agreed to it and picked out a place and time (kinda). I messaged her last night to confirm the time since the time she picked was a bit too early and I wouldn't have been out of work yet. I even left her my number so she could reach me easier. I wrote to her this afternoon basically saying if I don't hear anything back by 6, I'll assume she just flaked out. My only hope is that she hasn't been on the site since last night at around 11pm, though I sent her a message at like 10, so I'm guessing she read it and chose to ignore it.

Bleepey

Well they were girls that I weren't attracted to and I don't really want to get their hopes up. I've done it in the past and it just turns into a conversation I don't have the interest in continuing.

Do you just thank them for the message and say unfortunately you aren't my type?

I just say thanks. Girls get so many messages your disinterest will probably not concern them too much cos they will have literally 5-50 other guys messaging them. When it had happened to me, I say something back that's not a question and it ends there.

SolKane

Anyone having problems searching for matches on okcupid? For some reason I'm missing that ability when I logged in today, seems to happen sometimes...

Invisible Man

aka SexyNerd
Just had Amirox view my profile, lol. Have to admit its slightly creepy having GAF view my profile even though I asked for it. Especially the ones who either created an account to view it or are using an alt account they use to stalk the girls they're messaging :p

Amir0x

Banned
Just had Amirox view my profile, lol. Have to admit its slightly creepy having GAF view my profile even though I asked for it. Especially the ones who either created an account to view it or are using an alt account they use to stalk the girls they're messaging :p

man i created an OKCupid account so long ago, i forgot it still had me logged in. my shiz is so fucking outdated it's fucking weird. i should probably delete it considering I have a fiancee and if she discovers it she'll probably think I'm cheating or something*

*(but you are Sexy)

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Me and this one girl have been messaging back and forth for a bit now, going to see if I can get a number and maybe grab coffee sometime next message. Her conversation with me has been the longest I've had on this site, I usually get nothing.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So, like I said, I'm meeting this girl tomorrow for lunch. I'll admit I'm a tad nervous since it's been a while. Should I pay for her or no?

Ashhong

Alright fine...can you guys critique mine? Do I need a new main picture? My last date told me I came off as a stereotypical Korean guy that thinks he's better than everyone lol.

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/Ashhong

It was actually just touched up by a girl friend who is not a romantic at all, but I'm not sure I agree with all of her changes.

DrBo42

Alright fine...can you guys critique mine? Do I need a new main picture? My last date told me I came off as a stereotypical Korean guy that thinks he's better than everyone lol.

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/Ashhong

It was actually just touched up by a girl friend who is not a romantic at all, but I'm not sure I agree with all of her changes.

I'd get rid of the "I'll ask you when we meet" and "you have fingers"bits. Thanks for all the views guys, my visitors list is full of dudes now.

So, like I said, I'm meeting this girl tomorrow for lunch. I'll admit I'm a tad nervous since it's been a while. Should I pay for her or no?

Feel the situation out. If it's going well and you think she'd appreciate it, or wouldn't be offended (Some women feel that way, whateves.) then do it.
I'd get rid of the "I'll ask you when we meet" and "you have fingers"bits. Thanks for all the views guys, my visitors list is full of dudes now.

Agreed. I get that it's just a joke, but it's kinda weird.

Ashhong

K done, thanks. Lol saw a high notification count and I was like woo! Then realized it's all you guys. Fuuuu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom