• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinCow

Banned
if the girl is mildly attractive they are getting lots of messages.

the last few days i've done a little experiment on POF(much more popular where i live). i made a female profile with a decent looking girl for pics. No clevage, or flirting just a straigh clean profile although i mentioned no druggies, drunks or married men and that they must say more than stuff like "hey whats up?". stayed logged in for two hours while exercising and got 73 messages. late that night i logged back in and had amassed 133 messages.

At this time i sent the fake profile a message from my real account to mark the cut off point. Then i shuffled the same pics around(still no clevage) switched to intimate encounter and rewrote the profile to match what im looking for. I let the profile sit not logged in for 24hours and when i came back i had 763 messages. There were lots of one line messages, multiple messages, dick pics, cheaters etc.

Now this is where things get interesting imo. I went back to check the original 133 messages and since the site logs conversations i could tell who remessaged me after switching to intimate encounter. Out of the 133 people 51 had remessaged me interested in the sex. Nearly 40%! This is why it's hard to get a response. So many douche bags are spamming the shit out of these sites with copy paste messages hoping a girl will bite so they can get their dicks wet. In return the legit users get lost between all their crap.

Right now i have the profile set to seeking wommen for intimate encounter. Over the last 12 or so hours i got 4 messages from females and 37 more from guys which means they're browsing the site logged out, remembering the user name and messaging me manually. Fucking pathetic.

Well that kinda just makes me feel shittier in a way. I actually read the profiles and ask relevant questions about shared interests. "Hey, I see you like [author], what was your favorite book by him?" "Hey, I see you like [show], that's one of my favorites. If you like it, you might like [other show]. Have you ever checked that one out?" Stuff like that.

If that's the kind of stuff I'm up against and I'm still not getting replies, I must be really ugly and/or have a really bad profile.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Well that kinda just makes me feel shittier in a way. I actually read the profiles and ask relevant questions about shared interests. "Hey, I see you like [author], what was your favorite book by him?" "Hey, I see you like [show], that's one of my favorites. If you like it, you might like [other show]. Have you ever checked that one out?" Stuff like that.

If that's the kind of stuff I'm up against and I'm still not getting replies, I must be really ugly and/or have a really bad profile.

Think the point he was making is that a girl probably gets overwhelmed with messages and might not even ever get to yours.

Maddocks

I just messaged like 8 girls, I fully expect zero replies and in about 2 days ill come back in this thread and complain about how im done wasting time putting thought into messages and switch it to copy and paste song lyrics spaced and changed to make me sound witty.

Tess3ract

Banned
I asked a girl what kind of books she liked.

She was like "I like book ______. Why do you ask?"

Why the fuck do you think I'm asking?? What site are we on??

Nah. You're just impatient. The thing with online dating is that you really have to only give fucks in bursts. The occasional night you jump on, find a few closely matched profiles and write an actual personal message. Have no expectations of a response and keep it moving.

Back when I was on it I usually got about 3 weeks of nothing and then a week of contact with a few people. Usually would waste time/money on 2 dates, and find a possibility in the third.

I always paid for dates. A woman has to know you've got some potential as a provider, and not paying on the first go around is a red flag. Also it stops you from dating basically anyone who responds, and just deciding to go out with the girls you feel could be worth the investment.

The message that hooked my GF was pretty bad but we're celebrating our one year anniversary so I decided to log back in in order to print our series of exchanges...thought it would be a cute gift.

"Hey! Just saw your profile and noticed that there were a lot of things that I liked. If you're interested in getting out and trying new things or want to talk with someone who's honest and believes in the type of chivalry that you talk about in your profile, lets talk. "

Lol, seems pretty basic but for whatever reason it worked.

Tess3ract

Banned
Why are you using that as an opening if you don't want to talk about books?
"Why do you ask" is a stupid response. I'm obviously asking because I want to know about her, her interests (especially since she said nothing in her profile), but then answers a question like that and... *sigh*

UFRA

Why are you using that as an opening if you don't want to talk about books?

I think he's baffled at why she asked "why do you ask?" as if it isn't obvious. They're on a dating site, and that's a get-to-know-you question, yet she acts questionable about it as if it was a weird thing to ask.

I'm sure he did want to talk about books.

Edit: nice timing

Ferrio

Banned

She's not trying to be a smartass, she just wants you to followup on it. Are you just expecting bullet list answers?

"Why do you ask" is a stupid response. I'm obviously asking because I want to know about her, her interests (especially since she said nothing in her profile), but then answers a question like that and... *sigh*

Try reading it in a different tone. "Why do you ask" is a pretty open ended way of allowing the other person to continue a conversation.

1: What sort of books do you like?
2: I like Spider-Man, why do you ask?
1: Oh well if you like Spider-man have you checked out Batman?/Oh well I'm looking for new stuff for my reading list/I've read that but didn't like it - here's why.

She's also trying to find out about you, I don't understand why you're being so fucking weird and defensive.

Tess3ract

Banned

She's not trying to be a smartass, she just wants you to followup on it. Are you just expecting bullet list answers?
No....she could have been like, "how about you?"

As for the rest I suppose so but its really obvious why I'm asking so saying why do you ask is a response I expect from a girl on the sidewalk, not a dating site.

Also I'm not upset, I didn't respond to her, I'm just expressing here my incredulous reaction to her response.

Ferrio

Banned

...Okay.

The lady has followed up with a perfectly valid question. You can be a man and answer it to lead into a real actual conversation, or you can continue down this path of childishness. Your choice.

As for the rest I suppose so but its really obvious why I'm asking so saying why do you ask is a response I expect from a girl on the sidewalk, not a dating site.

She's asking because she wants to know the context. Knowing what books she likes is good and all... BUT why do you want to know? Do you like reading a lot, are their specific genres you were hoping she liked, were you going to ask for suggestions?

Because asking what type of books she likes just for the sake of knowing is BORING and will get you no where.

Ferrio

Banned
People really look for dates on the internet? Theirs something really weird about that. Dont people have bars and clubs in their towns?

That's a broad statement. Yes theres lots of bars in my town, but my town also has a military base. So 95% of the audience at bars are drunk GIs and ladies trying to hook up with them for easy money. Each town is different, and you can't expect them all to have good dating locations for everyone.

lvclix

Banned
I met my wife on Craigslist. We've been married 4 years now and have two kids. She's super normal with a great family and two degrees with a career as a teacher.

Maybe I was just lucky. She was literally the third girl I met online this way. The other two were also seemingly normal with professional careers and little to no surface baggage.

Good luck gents.

bjb

Banned

Also I'm not upset, I didn't respond to her, I'm just expressing here my incredulous reaction to her response.

She dictated a perfectly valid response and you over-analyzed it to hell and back. My god man...

Bleepey

She replied with a question weave some magic. Talk about how you like books by the same author/genre or series and how it relates to yours and/or her profile. Tess3act you need some advice talking to women on dating sites. Do you expect her to ask for your name and number straight away or something. Talk to the chick!

So... just browsing around the site and I noticed the girl I went on a date with last night's roommate is also on. Would it be totally impossible for me to ask her to hook that up somehow or am I playing with fire?

EDIT: Sorry that doesn't read too clearly. I mean can I ask the person I just went on a date with if she can set me up with her roommate?

2ND EDIT: She apparently has a third roommate also on the site who just viewed my profile, but I'm less interested in that one... I think I'm just going to just forget the whole thing.

So... just browsing around the site and I noticed the girl I went on a date with last night's roommate is also on. Would it be totally impossible for me to ask her to hook that up somehow or am I playing with fire?

EDIT: Sorry that doesn't read too clearly. I mean can I ask the person I just went on a date with if she can set me up with her roommate?

2ND EDIT: She apparently has a third roommate also on the site who just viewed my profile, but I'm less interested in that one... I think I'm just going to just forget the whole thing.

avoid

Ashhong

How do you know they are roommates? I wouldn't say avoid. It depends on the relationship with that girl you just went out with. Sounds like you guys ended it amicably, I don't see what the problem is with asking out her roommate.

How do you know they are roommates? I wouldn't say avoid. It depends on the relationship with that girl you just went out with. Sounds like you guys ended it amicably, I don't see what the problem is with asking out her roommate.
They have pictures which tag each other as roommates. I only dated the one girl once last night - she said she had a good time but just didn't feel a connection.

Go for it.

Tess3ract

Banned
She replied with a question weave some magic. Talk about how you like books by the same author/genre or series and how it relates to yours and/or her profile. Tess3act you need some advice talking to women on dating sites. Do you expect her to ask for your name and number straight away or something. Talk to the chick!
Lol no. I'm fine if people are reciprocal. If you put no effort into a reply I'm not gonna bother.

I've put a lot of time into shit like that before and its just draining.

Maddocks

I totally get the "why you ask?" vs "how about you?"

why you ask? sounds like...fuck you wasting my time for, read my profile.

how about you? sounds like....oh you actually interested? what books do you like?

i get ya.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
A girl who is listed as replies often just looked over my profile and decided to not reply to me it seems.

bimet

I've had someone asked to meet me in person after a few messages. I could deal with that, except they've barely written anything on their profile and have answered ZERO questions. Am I looking too much into it? How should I respond?

Gaf help, I really like this chick we've hung out 3 times. it hasn't been anything special just kinda normal. We talk every single day for hours and message each other all day. We're going to hang out Monday I told her I'd take the day off and we'd hang out all day. I really want to do something special. She drops her kids off at 9 am the she has class at 5 -7 other than that I need to impress her, ideas???? I live in Salt Lake City if that helps??

Ferrio

Banned
Gaf help, I really like this chick we've hung out 3 times. it hasn't been anything special just kinda normal. We talk every single day for hours and message each other all day. We're going to hang out Monday I told her I'd take the day off and we'd hang out all day. I really want to do something special. She drops her kids off at 9 am the she has class at 5 -7 other than that I need to impress her, ideas???? I live in Salt Lake City if that helps??

Make out?

Ashhong

They have pictures which tag each other as roommates. I only dated the one girl once last night - she said she had a good time but just didn't feel a connection.

Sounds fine. You should approach it casually. Say "oh, it's cool that's what this site is for, to make a connection with someone. I randomly saw that your roommates were on this site too, do you think they would be interested?"

A girl who is listed as replies often just looked over my profile and decided to not reply to me it seems.

Message her.

dralla

Wow, I finally got a message from a cute girl who seems cool, she sent a big ass message and we have a lot in common, it's too bad my power is out and I'm stuck on this app, I did reply back, just a short message for now till I get my Internet and shit back.

Yay

mooooose

Last night I talked to a hot girl for two hours and she is really fucking funny... probably funnier than me, and then I left it hanging and now she isn't responding. On top of that she's in uptown Manhattan and I'm on LI... so I doubt I ever had a chance but we literally chatted for like over 2 hours.

fml

(._.)

Banned
Met with some chick just out of the blue last night from this site. We both didn't have much going on last night and were bored so we met up. Went uptown and just walked around and chatted, got some shakes.

Uhh, I think she likes me cause she wants to hang out again tonight but I'm not really into her. She looks really good and has red hair (YES) but is pretty religious and somewhat old fashion. She doesn't drink (ugh, really?). I think she got a little offended also when I cursed a couple times around her ~_~

I want somebody as crazy and offensive as me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom