• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wont take up a lot of your time gentlemen but as I have seen this talk of 5 starring I think I should say that I have a date with a gorgeous Russian girl tomorrow and have done it without all this 5 star stuff. Believe in yourself gentlemen and look for the gems in your own bracket. She was a red dot but I still got a reply and now Im on a date tomorrow. Wish me luck Gentlemen.

You misunderstand.

5 stars doesnt suddenly make you highly desirable...it just lets you browse ALL the users, which is the expectation of most people signing up.

- Beware of stock photos such as this:
Y7D54.jpg

Someone with that pic came on to me way too hard in their first msg. (not that the pic doesn't look suspicious by itself), but I also came across some women with great looking/professional (yet genuine) pics.

The most convenient way to do a reverse search is probably a browser plugin such as Google's own for Chrome.

- The amount of bisexual women - even after all those months - is still staggering to me :O

- What do you do if you are being asked for nude pics? :|
(I haven't done online dating since ancient AIM/ICQ times)

Visceir

One of my my friends uses the site, I told her about the antics going on in this thread and she said she didn't really see the logic in getting your status to go to "replies selectively", she said it would just discourage her from messaging you.

My advice would be to manufacture an amazing profile picture instead. Lend your friend's dslr, go take some pictures that kinda seem like they were taken naturally and add some retouches with phtooshop to fix the colors, white balance and whatever else. The pictures are what everyone checks first.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
- Beware of stock photos such as this:
Y7D54.jpg

Someone with that pic came on to me way too hard in their first msg. (not that the pic doesn't look suspicious by itself), but I also came across some women with great looking/professional (yet genuine) pics.

The girl I'm currently seeing had a professionally photographed main profile photo. Always something to be a little wary about, but she's a model, so yeah, was real ;b

Maddocks

most people who 5 star really only did it/do it to widen the pool of potential matches. I have been on the site for more then a year and have sent out many messages. Some copy and paste, some tailored to the girl. results very, but for me personally the pool is getting more and more shallow. There are only so many girls you can message before you start back at square zero.

Personally, while some might consider it sad, I need to try new tactics, and the red dot is just something new for me to try, so I'm trying it. While red dotting might look sad ,silly, and bad to some, I personally have seen much worse from people at other message boards. Some guys making a profile, and going to a girls profile and just picking her same answers on questions to get a higher match and friend % while lowering the enemy %. When people start doing that in this thread, then you can say truly pathetic, but I doubt anyone in this thread would ever go that low.

The girl I'm currently seeing had a professionally photographed main profile photo. Always something to be a little wary about, but she's a model, so yeah, was real ;b

Nice.
Ok then, how about we start an elite trading cards type league where we privately trade pics of super hotties whom we're dating atm. or at least had extended chats with?
I'm joking of course, but goddamn, I've had a really hot Russian chick talking to me for the past few days. Though I suspect she might have ulterior motives (mail order bride type of situation) :/

Faking the replies very selectively shit is really sad.
Sorry brother, but it isn't

It's not sad. My last girlfriend and I met through OKC, and she said that in the ~2ish weeks she was on that site she received several hundred messages from guys. SEVERAL HUNDRED, and it's not like we were living in some huge city where thousands of locals are checking out the online dating scene.

Every single aspect of online dating is stacked against the guy, so any projection you can make to distinguish yourself is only playing it smart. Girls receiving that number of messages probably aren't physically capable of genuinely combing through the profile of EVERY single guy who talks to her, taking careful time and consideration to reflect on how she may or may not be interested in that person, simply due to the amount of effort and time it would take. Most of them have to make snap decisions, processing the presentation of the guy in question peripherally instead of centrally.

Having a low reply rating is one more way to help break through that initial barrier

(._.)

Banned
So is Okcupid officially the better alternative over going to a bar looking to meet a totally new girl to have a few fun dates and casual sex with?

I message myself from an alt if I don't go online for a while to shake that little blue tag you get saying you haven't been messaged in over a week. don't see anything wrong with that nor making 10+ to get yourself into the red. Not gonna bother doing that though. I don't see how that will help your chances. Every guy including some very handsome studs are green anyways except a few that are yellow.

Ovid

Just went through and rated everyone that viewed my profile 5 stars. Well everyone that had a profile pic.

Seems that me and feep are a really good match at 95%. If I'm ever in L.A. I know where I'm crashing, lol.
What's the purpose of doing this?

purg3

slept with Malkin

Apparently Jade Raymond is single and living in my area...

Maddocks

it opens up everyone. by default you are limited in matches, it blocks out 5 star rated girls/guys. With a higher star rating it opens up more and more people to be matches. 5 stars are matches with other people who are 5 stars. Instead of always seeing 3-4 stars by default, you now see 3-5 stars.

Ovid

it opens up everyone. by default you are limited in matches, it blocks out 5 star rated girls/guys. With a higher star rating it opens up more and more people to be matches. 5 stars are matches with other people who are 5 stars. Instead of always seeing 3-4 stars by default, you now see 3-5 stars.
Cool. I'm gonna do this too.

Thanks.

Invisible Man

aka SexyNerd

As mentioned earlier it expands the amount of girls that show up when you search.

Higher rating = seeing other highly rated girls.

Oh and got another hit using the panty line on POF. She said it sounded phenomenal and that I was definitely her type physically.

Fuck, if I had known that I could get it this easy just by asking I'd done it a long time ago.

Ovid

Wait, I just thought of something. I'm rating them, but what about me?

Wouldn't I have to be rated high in order to see those matches?

Ovid

Well, the reasoning here is that worse looking chicks will almost certainly reply with a 4-5 star rating to hook up with you.
This is my second go around on OKC (signed up again last week).

I spoke about my last OKC disaster date back in June. I've become lurker in this thread ever since.

Ugh, the thought of that woman just...ugh. She completely turned me off to the site back then.

Anyways, I remember her asking me if I used the ratings system and I told her yes. She basically laughed in my face.

Just got the following message

OK, so this is going to sound totally weird, but it tells a lot about a person.
If you had to be 50% woman, and 50% sausage, which half would be which and why?

which one of you was it, I know you love sending crazy shit like this

.GqueB.

Banned
So is Okcupid officially the better alternative over going to a bar looking to meet a totally new girl to have a few fun dates and casual sex with?

I message myself from an alt if I don't go online for a while to shake that little blue tag you get saying you haven't been messaged in over a week. don't see anything wrong with that nor making 10+ to get yourself into the red. Not gonna bother doing that though. I don't see how that will help your chances. Every guy including some very handsome studs are green anyways except a few that are yellow.

Kind of depends on the person really. Just because you're at a bar doesn't mean you're suddenly going to be swimming in tang. Back when I was using this site, I was doing both. I didn't choose one over the other as my main method of approaching women. Spent some sundays just copy pastin'. Can't always be at a bar.

Shit'spensive.

(._.)

Banned
As mentioned earlier it expands the amount of girls that show up when you search.

Higher rating = seeing other highly rated girls.

Oh and got another hit using the panty line on POF. She said it sounded phenomenal and that I was definitely her type physically.

Fuck, if I had known that I could get it this easy just by asking I'd done it a long time ago.

how is POF? went on there once and every girl was a planet. not to mention the site is hideous. better than OKC?

Bleepey

I saw a doctor who had a red dot. I asked a girl to show me a guy who did not respond and the dude's name was something like DrJones.

(._.)

Banned
I saw a doctor who had a red dot. I asked a girl to show me a guy who did not respond and the dude's name was something like DrJones.

guess it depends on age group also. if you're in that 18-21 range ever guy is green and all the girls are red.

- What do you do if you are being asked for nude pics? :|
(I haven't done online dating since ancient AIM/ICQ times)
Goddamit, why didn't anyone dissuade me from doing that?

So I just exchanged the nude pics and I feel like she(?) faked hers (it's all weird and lq). Also messaning came pretty much to a sudden halt after the pics. They were on dropbox and I deleted them more or less right away, but it's probably too late now :|
Feels bad to know that some weirdo might currently be masturbating to your pics..

/yup, feels fucking weird

Goddamit, why didn't anyone dissuade me from doing that?

So I just exchanged the nude pics and I feel like she(?) faked hers (it's all weird and lq). Also messaning came pretty much to a sudden halt after the pics. They were on dropbox and I deleted them more or less right away, but it's probably too late now :|
Feels bad to know that some weirdo might currently be masturbating to your pics..
I think you are safe on that last part :p

Lesson learned at least, right?

Do most of you guys just copy and paste?

I always write original messages, but that's largely due to having assumed that copy n paste doesn't work.

But then again, writing original messages doesn't really work either. ¬_¬

yeah I did learn my lesson :(
but I'd still like to know if there is a safe way to trade nude pics, lol
Some java or flash type of solution should work..

.GqueB.

Banned
Do most of you guys just copy and paste?

I always write original messages, but that's largely due to having assumed that copy n paste doesn't work.

But then again, writing original messages doesn't really work either. ¬_¬

Copy paste is the way to go. I started off by writing original messages but that got bothersome. I'd read their page, find something to casually mention and go from there. After a while I got tired of it and just stared copy pasting. Got just about the same response for a fraction of the effort.

If anything, copy and paste a section of the message then have a flippant section where you casually mention something you saw from skimming her page:

"You watched Lost? So sorry..."

Or something along those lines. Least effort as possible because it's better for you in the wrong run. I love this thread. It's like I'm living vicariously through you all.

GO FORTH!!!

What's everyone's general rule for texting after scheduling a date? Should I only text to confirm the date the day of?

Keep texting. Why fall off of her radar? Don't overdo it though.

Copy paste is the way to go. I started off by writing original messages but that got bothersome. I'd read their page, find something to casually mention and go from there. After a while I got tired of it and just stared copy pasting. Got just about the same response for a fraction of the effort.

If anything, copy and paste a section of the message then have a flippant section where you casually mention something you saw from skimming her page:

"You watched Lost? So sorry..."

Or something along those lines. Least effort as possible because it's better for you in the wrong run. I love this thread. It's like I'm living vicariously through you all.

GO FORTH!!!

Will try this. So often I see a profile that seems okay, but doesn't have a ton of stuff to go off and I just can't be bothered to hand craft an original message.

LProtag

Do people come up as non-existant if they block you?

I just sent two completely benign messages to two girls and they just completely disappeared. Feels shitty, haha.

mooooose

Decided I'm done with this site. Not ready for the stuff I was committing myself to and I only found ONE girl out of many, who I actually liked. And I might've blown it but at the very least she's got her hands full with shit. Oh well.

Loona

Eh, I prefer OKC. But each site attracts different girls in my experience.

Different how?

I tried to sign up for PoF a couple of times, but the sties apparently doesn't play well with Chrome, so after the 3rd attempt I gave up.
The name of the site gives it a more impersonal vibe too, which doesn't help - I have my doubts it would be more appealing than OKC if your main language isn't english to boot, but if anyone has experiences contradicting that, I'm all ears...

Invisible Man

aka SexyNerd
Different how?

OKC seems to attract young, liberal, alternative, college girls with seemingly half of them being bi.

POF from my time on it and my area seems to be what you'd call more traditional, conservative girls.

Though your mileage may vary depending on your area.

(._.)

Banned
experiment time. tried the "lick you for hours" line on a thick chick that seems dtf, her reply:

not sure if positive or negative. I'm leaning more towards negative. any ideas for a reply or leave her alone?

Caelestis

experiment time. tried the "lick you for hours" line on a thick chick that seems dtf, her reply:

not sure if positive or negative. I'm leaning more towards negative. any ideas for a reply or leave her alone?

Ask for her phone number?

Poody

What program do you use to photoshop a picture?
how is everyone spoofing your profile and getting yellow to red stars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom