• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maddocks

Hate when a girl I message (in this case someone I really wanted to get to know) views my profile but doesn't reply. Sadface.

Get used to it friend, it happens more times then I can count. It's worse when you send a message and the girl never even visits your profile. That is when you know you got straight deleted.

Ashhong

Get used to it friend, it happens more times then I can count. It's worse when you send a message and the girl never even visits your profile. That is when you know you got straight deleted.

No..I'd rather that happen honestly lol. If she saw my profile and such that means she straight up doesn't like my personality and/or face. Or she could be invisible iuno.

I think everyone's had that happen.

I know. I was just saying how much I hate it.

does it say that in their profile or was it in the questions answered?

if its in the profile, toss her aside. But if its in questions answered and has no explanation, i say message anyway because people forget their own questions all the time.

Most of the time I see it in the "questions answered" section, that's solid advice, thanks!

Oh and I guess I'll get it on the mutual five-starring if anyone is willing, quote to see my tag

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Hate when a girl I message (in this case someone I really wanted to get to know) views my profile but doesn't reply. Sadface.

This feel runs deep.

In other news, my first reply in a week or two came from a girl who had no profile filled out and I was just in a fuck it kind of mood, so I just said, "Your tats are rad, are you rad as a person?"

Immediate reply. Fuck reading profiles and commenting on them.

Edit: nevermind, the new replies make it seem like it is a joke account/

Edit: troll account confirmed, thank you google reverse images

feels bad man though =/

Bleepey

I once was called a loser for calling a fake profile out for being fake. They used an obscure actress who I reverse image searched, called them out on it, and they got pissed. Lol.

After months of talking my friend met a girl from MySpace back in the day.
Turned out to be a really fat girl who lied about everything (including her image obviously).

When he tried to leave, she went psycho on him, started yelling and told him she'd key his car.

Bleepey

After months of talking my friend met a girl from MySpace back in the day.
Turned out to be a really fat girl who lied about everything (including her image obviously).

When he tried to leave, she went psycho on him, started yelling and told him she'd key his car.

Lol did he let her touch his penis?

No he eventually filed a restraining order because she found his number in the phonebook, showed up at his work, and made t-shirts with his picture on it and other sorts of crazy shit.

pix

So I have a date possibly lined up soon and was wondering where others tend to go. I haven't been to a date through online dating so I have no idea. She said coffee would be fine but she also said it can be awkward if you run out of things to talk about. Anyone have any ideas or experience with not making the first date so "on the spot"?

Bleepey

So I have a date possibly lined up soon and was wondering where others tend to go. I haven't been to a date through online dating so I have no idea. She said coffee would be fine but she also said it can be awkward if you run out of things to talk about. Anyone have any ideas or experience with not making the first date so "on the spot"?

I have a book on trivia. It can be fun to bounce of general knowledge of each other also check groupon and wowcher.

Id say no for coffee because it can feel like more of an interview.

Try something like exploring a book store (ie, picking out hilarious books), an art museum, or somewhere were you can talk but dont have to stare at each other and can cover up silence by looking at stuff. And theres always new stuff to talk about (the next book or painting).

.GqueB.

Banned

Book store, museum. Petco is also a good one but no one ever believes me. No movies and no dinner. Dinner should be an option for after the activity, not the activity itself. Just avoid situations where you have to sit and stare at each other for like an hour.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Book store, museum. Petco is also a good one but no one ever believes me. No movies and no dinner. Dinner should be an option for after the activity, not the activity itself. Just avoid situations where you have to sit and stare at each other for like an hour.

Interesting advice. The best thing I have to do here is coffee, but I get the reasoning. I'll start to think of some other stuff to do, you know, if anyone ever accepts anything on this site.

:p

Coffee to start. You don't know if they're crazy or flaky so once that's established, then you can do something else.

You're not tied to the coffee place so you can always get up and walk around.

I had one date that started at a coffee place and ended at the library.

Xcellere

If it's any consolation, eventually the right girl will reply. What you mentioned happened to me dozens of times and it was discouraging each time it happened. I kept on keeping on, and then one day I wrote this one girl who I thought was outrageously beautiful and seemed very decent. I actually had no faith that she would reply, I specifically remember thinking "It's impossible that this girl will reply, she's completely out of my league." To my amazement, she replied. 5 months later, we were married.

Moral of the story: Don't give up!

If it's any consolation, eventually the right girl will reply. What you mentioned happened to me dozens of times and it was discouraging each time it happened. I kept on keeping on, and then one day I wrote this one girl who I thought was outrageously beautiful and seemed very decent. I actually had no faith that she would reply, I specifically remember thinking "It's impossible that this girl will reply, she's completely out of my league." To my amazement, she replied. 5 months later, we were married.

Congrats man. That's a heartwarming tale

Maddocks

I message girls out of my league all the time lol The point is never get discouraged because hey, they are on the site too. no one forced them to sign up so they want a connection also.

so if you go....ill never get her/him. give it a try. like the great one said,"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take"

Bleepey

I message girls out of my league all the time lol The point is never get discouraged because hey, they are on the site too. no one forced them to sign up so they want a connection also.

so if you go....ill never get her/him. give it a try. like the great one said,"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take"

At one point I had about 6 numbers from chicks out of my league. A lack of money is stopping me from doing as much as I'd like about it. :-(

Fuck you, that's awesome

Bleepey

Contrast and all but 5 months!?

Maddocks

I have a question. how often do you all edit your profiles? I usually edit mine every 2 days. Not to add info, but to take out a word and then replace it.

reason being is because then you will be higher on the activity feed, which means new members will see you more and thus more views and more traffic to your profile. So ya never know a new member might check you out and you might be her/his first choice to message.

Bleepey

I've been talking to this one girl who's going for both a PhD and a black belt. Like god damn, talk about intimidating.

I don't the smoking hot, pole dancing, gymnast, one of the top in her class, computer science graduate from an elite school, investment banker so much as looked at my profile. No I did not exaggerate any of that. :-( So be glad for that.

as for editing my profile rarely. Maybe once a month.

Ashhong

Holy shit 5 months! I guess when you know, you know. Congrats!

Xcellere

Congrats man. That's a heartwarming tale

Fuck you, that's awesome

Contrast and all but 5 months!?

Holy shit 5 months! I guess when you know, you know. Congrats!

Thanks guys, and yes 5 months isn't a long time, and I would have thought the exact same thing prior to meeting her. I dated like crazy when I first moved to LA for college, so I had plenty of experience to gauge what I was looking for. When I met my wife, I knew instantly that she was perfect for me.

I can't convince some people that the whole "you know right away" expression is true unless they've experienced it themselves. I think it's much easier to figure out if you've met "the one" if you have had plenty of prior dating experience. Without that, you don't necessarily know if it's infatuation or the real thing.

I've posted this picture in the "Show off your wife/gf" thread, but I'll post it here to show what's possible. I kind of wish I had someone to tell me to keep my head up and not give up when I was dating, because I seriously started to believe at one point that I would never find someone to spend my life with, especially online. And this was all from OKC.

photo2342.png

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Wanted to show my OKC profile as I recently broke up and have no idea what I'm doing.

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/DGrapsas

Tell me what to fix, and I'll do it immediately.

Put a pic of me and my ex since people told me it might attract some females. What do you guys think?

LaneDS

I've been on and off the site for a couple years and think I do well with it, so I'm sharing in case it might help anybody out:

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/LaneD

Found that being myself (i.e. not taking myself at all seriously, or the site itself) seemed to yield good results (I've answered a ton of questions and provided many dumb explanations, which I think helped).

Ashhong

Thanks guys, and yes 5 months isn't a long time, and I would have thought the exact same thing prior to meeting her. I dated like crazy when I first moved to LA for college, so I had plenty of experience to gauge what I was looking for. When I met my wife, I knew instantly that she was perfect for me.

I can't convince some people that the whole "you know right away" expression is true unless they've experienced it themselves. I think it's much easier to figure out if you've met "the one" if you have had plenty of prior dating experience. Without that, you don't necessarily know if it's infatuation or the real thing.

I've posted this picture in the "Show off your wife/gf" thread, but I'll post it here to show what's possible. I kind of wish I had someone to tell me to keep my head up and not give up when I was dating, because I seriously started to believe at one point that I would never find someone to spend my life with, especially online. And this was all from OKC.

photo2342.png

Damn, she's hot! Nice job

You might want to have her face covered in the pic unless you know she's OK with appearing in it...

She's probably fine with it if he put it in the show off thread

Az987

all good things
Do you guys ever use those hook up sites? I've had more luck on those than at regular dating sites.

Wow, that makes me feel like a piece of meat.

Ovid

photo2342.png

Hey, I remember you from the "Post Your Lover" thread. Everyone was going gaga over her.
Congrats...she's gorgeous.

Maddocks

You’ve messaged 50 or more people! Thanks for being awesome – have $5 off A-List!

stop reminding me of my failures site! I could dismiss it, but nah.

Coffee date on OKC went well, but I think there was mutually no connection.

I've started using POF. I don't think my message to response rate is much higher, but I find it easier and faster to just message girls out of the blue because:

-no match percentage, so I message girls that I may have avoided on OKC
-no "replies selectively/often" meter, so I don't overthink messaging girls who may not respond
-no multiple categories on profiles, so the profiles tend to be a lot briefer and easier to go through for formulating questions

Slight downside is that, because of the demographic, I tend to find less "sophisticated-looking" (though not necessarily sophisticated) hipster girls to swoon over. But it wasn't like I was really finding much luck with them on OKC anyway.

I'm actually chatting with a couple of girls on there right now - one every day, one that responds every couple of days. Already have made tentative plans with the first one for coffee next week. We'll see how that goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom