• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maddocks

Its only weird when you run into people you know 8)

I actually ran into an old friends ex, and she was very high to me. Im talking she was 98% match and 91% friend. So I made it a point to message her just to see how weird it would become. Nothing back, not even a profile visit.

Then I ran into an ex, very low match and friend %, no wonder why we didnt work....because as we all know, the cupid is never wrong.

I'm going back to OKC. I want to do an overhaul of my profile, though. If you don't mind, can you please scrutinize it for me?

My overhaul plan is so far:
1) change my picture to something active, interesting, or outdoors. My friends hate taking pictures, so I have very few pics available to me
2) Make profile text shorter. I'm way too wordy
3) Change my opening messages from "Hey you look pretty cool/interesting blah blah" to something else

(Quote me to see the profile)

C.Dark.DN

Banned
What are some good free things to do in the winter?

What are some good free things to do in the winter where you can bring your own beer?

We were talking about getting drunk and watching some random local concert, but I'm broke as hell to be spending money on a cover fee and 4-5$ pints. I'm supposedly going to hear back from a prospective employer tomorrow.

I'm going back to OKC. I want to do an overhaul of my profile, though. If you don't mind, can you please scrutinize it for me?

1) change my picture to something active, interesting, or outdoors. My friends hate taking pictures, so I have very few pics available to me
3) Change my opening messages from "Hey you look pretty cool/interesting blah blah" to something else

(Quote me to see the profile)

I'll get to rating you guys in a sec, too.

Might as well ask for a helping hand. Quote to see my profile.

Rated, cheers

Jhoan

Good luck!

You'll be fine. Don't overthink the messaging too much. If she's really interested in you, even if you say some things that she doesn't agree with or like, she'll overlook that if she wants to meet you.

Now, after just a couple more exchanges with her, start moving in on asking about a date and meeting up.

The next mistake a lot of guys make is they do the messaging back and forth too long and she loses interest.

I completely agree 100%. I've shot myself in the foot so many times recently on the site with women by delaying getting the number and dragging on the exchanges. This is the number one mistake people make unless both parties are still interested after several exchanges which has happened.

Fact of the matter is guys, if you're doing something wrong, it's definitely not suggesting a face to face meet up or asking for the number after 3-4 exchanges. The whole point of the website is to meet face to face as soon as possible, not hide behind keyboards and pictures. Don't procrastinate on it. Especially if a chick sends you a message and genuinely sounds interested (or a guy taking women such as electricshake into account).

With this chick that I'm currently talking to, I already alluded to meeting up after the second exchange (after taking my OKC veteran brother's sagely advice). She seems super interested seeing as how she replied again for a 4th exchange within a few hours after I replied.

I alluded to hanging out at her borough since I rarely go out to Brooklyn and hinted that I like going to bars by mention that I went to a bar in another section of Brooklyn. I asked her what favorite place is to hang out at. I'm going to give it some breathing room and reply at school in several hours and go for the number. I did see an excerpt of it through my email and it looks very good. :D There's a high probably that I'm going to close in on a date by this weekend if I play my cards right which I am.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Well, I disabled my account and will probably be back soon, but I was tired of seeing the same faces since not many people in my area, so I'm waiting a bit.

I'm also talking to a girl from 4chan. =0

KevinCow

Banned
Fact of the matter is guys, if you're doing something wrong, it's definitely not suggesting a face to face meet up or asking for the number after 3-4 exchanges.

What, seriously? Because I did that a few times and totally got the feeling I scared the chick off by moving too fast.

It's funny, I've just been completely honest with this one chick, and that seems to be what really got her into me.

I was just tired of sending out the same general message: "Hey, you seem pretty cool. I see you like [shared interest]. [Question about shared interest to spark discussion]?"

So I saw this one chick who seemed really cool, and just said, "Hey, you seem cool. I'd love to chat with you about Harry Potter or Supernatural or whatever, but I'm honestly kinda tired of putting effort into writing these messages and then never getting a response, so I wanna know that you're at least remotely interested before I try to spark a discussion."

And... she agreed with me. Which kinda blew my mind, that apparently this super cute, super cool chick was sending out messages to guys and not getting responses. But hey, their loss and my gain.

Then after chatting about shared interests for a bit, around the point that I would have suggested meeting up in previous conversations, I was just honest again. I said, "Yo, I honestly have no idea what I'm doing with this dating site thing, or where this is supposed to go. I think we're supposed to progress beyond chatting on this site at some point, but I have no idea when it's appropriate to ask for your number or ask you out or whatever."

Then it took a while for her to respond so I thought I'd fucked everything up (I think I even posted as much in this thread), but when she finally got back to me, she again agreed. So I just suggested that she give me her number when she felt comfortable, and then let me know when she felt comfortable to meet up, and she agreed and sent me her number. We've been texting constantly ever since. Sounds like she's about ready to meet up, she just needs to stop being sick first... so if not this weekend, then next.

All that said, I wouldn't exactly recommend this strategy. I just got really lucky and found the coolest chick on the site.

I would never recommend this site to anyone and I frankly find myself being disgusted with it. It's a hotbed for egotism, liars, and the shallow. A site where people are more preoccupied with scores and getting ego boosts from how many messages they receive in a day rather than using it as a legitimate dating tool. A site that is largely used by mentally unstable females, young mothers, and the overweight. If you're lucky enough to get a date then be very wary of what you're getting yourself into. Quite frankly, most people don't need to turn to online dating so you're being fed table scraps.

Bleepey

I would never recommend this site to anyone and I frankly find myself being disgusted with it. It's a hotbed for egotism, liars, and the shallow. A site where people are more preoccupied with scores and getting ego boosts from how many messages they receive in a day rather than using it as a legitimate dating tool. A site that is largely used by mentally unstable females, young mothers, and the overweight. If you're lucky enough to get a date then be very wary of what you're getting yourself into. Quite frankly, most people don't need to turn to online dating so you're being fed table scraps.

I bet you if I had your account for a week I could get you a couple of dates. There is a proof bullshit with online dating though. A lot of girls don't realise how much effort guys have to put into online dating so that's why they can be as picky as they like.

I bet you if I had your account for a week I could get you a couple of dates. There is a proof bullshit with online dating though. A lot of girls don't realise how much effort guys have to put into online dating so that's why they can be as picky as they like.

I bet you a hundred dollars you could not. It is largely a geographical problem. I did a search for a radius of 25 miles and for people that have been online in the past day and I was greeted with a whopping 9 results. Age bracket was 19-26.

I should also add that I'm a good looking person. Not a model, but most people would say I'm above average in the looks department. So if there's dire hope for me then a lot of other people are fucked.

Bleepey

I bet you a hundred dollars you could not. It is largely a geographical problem. I did a search for a radius of 25 miles and for people that have been online in the past day and I was greeted with a whopping 9 results. Age bracket was 19-26.

I should also add that I'm a good looking person. Not a model, but most people would say I'm above average in the looks department. So if there's dire hope for me then a lot of other people are fucked.

Where do you live?

I like where this is going, I'll be starting up sidebets once these two agree to terms.

Where do you live?

I prefer not to disclose the exact location. A small, rural area in NC is as far as I'm willing to go.

I like where this is going, I'll be starting up sidebets once these two agree to terms.

It's kind of an irrelevant bet because "finding a date" is a broad term. He may be able to find someone that wants to date me and I might not be interested whatsoever, for example.

Ashhong

Yea that bet seemed really serious. Can we please see this happening?

Also Wreckage, you make it sound all doom and gloom for the entire site, but you obviously a geographical problem. Doesn't make it a terrible site for everyone. I did the same search and there are more results than I can count.

I prefer not to disclose the exact location. A small, rural area in NC is as far as I'm willing to go.

It's kind of an irrelevant bet because "finding a date" is a broad term. He may be able to find someone that wants to date me and I might not be interested whatsoever, for example.

How about you pick the girls and he gets the date?

Yea that bet seemed really serious. Can we please see this happening?

Also Wreckage, you make it sound all doom and gloom for the entire site, but you obviously a geographical problem. Doesn't make it a terrible site for everyone. I did the same search and there are more results than I can count.

How about you pick the girls and he gets the date?

I said it's largely a geographical problem for me, but my comments about the quality of women on the site and the types of people it attracts (vain, egotistical, etc.) is something I believe applies to everyone. It's a hotbed for single mothers that don't have the time to go out and do anything, crazy/socially inept women, and overweight women. If you land a date with a good looking woman on there I can guarantee you that something is terribly amiss with her. The site is awful for a person like me and I will promptly delete my account. As I said before, I will never recommend this site of plenty of fish to anyone I know.

Ashhong

That is a pretty harsh statement that you are basically saying of everyone in this thread. Are we all crazy, overweight or single fathers? Why does it apply only to women? There are 1 or 2 women posters in this thread as well. Are they one of the above?

That is a pretty harsh statement that you are basically saying of everyone in this thread. Are we all crazy, overweight or single fathers? Why does it apply only to women? There are 1 or 2 women posters in this thread as well. Are they one of the above?

I said it's a hotbed for those kind of women and it absolutely is. Are all of the women on those sites what I said? No, but an overwhelming majority are. And this doesn't apply to just women. Most of the men are on there for very casual sex or are socially inept nerds.

Bleepey

I wouldn't mind a gentleman's bet. He supplies me with pics, he writes his profile and I see if you can charm 50 shades of shit out of the women of NC.

Loona

5'd some people who hid their profile in this latest page, hope you guys rate back, I'm the visitor from the obscure country.

The introduction section could certainly take a cut - for example, in the 1st sentence you could cut right to "I'm a college student who loves creating things" - everything before that is just taking up space or can be interpreted as a detriment to the profile. Go for the Saint Exupery principle, that design is perfected when there's nothing else to take away.

The note in the bottom about outdated info might as well be removed, after you revisit your old questions - the site lets you look for questions answered in ancient times - and update them.

Drop the smiley on the "What I'm doing with my life" bit. Maybe every ":p", at least.

The Books bit doesnt have to be about something recent, might as well move the mention of the Wizard of Oz to that section instead.

That last sentence on the "most private thing" section needs to go - why give visitors ideas to leave?... the whole "don't think of pink elephants" principle applies here.

Same for the "you should message me if" part - you're threatning someone who might be considering it with boredom, and you don't want to do that.

Necrovex

I said it's a hotbed for those kind of women and it absolutely is. Are all of the women on those sites what I said? No, but an overwhelming majority are. And this doesn't apply to just women. Most of the men are on there for very casual sex or are socially inept nerds.

I fully disagree with this statement. I have gone out on many dates through OkCupid and PoF, and I have only gone out with one girl who I would say was mentally unstable. Everyone else was relatively normal.

Try not living in some rural NC shithole. As a general rule the overall quality is going to be worse for you than anyone else - online or off. Until then no one here needs your Debbie Downer nonsense.

Ashhong

Thank God you got banned so I don't have to reply to this bullshit.

I said it's largely a geographical problem for me, but my comments about the quality of women on the site and the types of people it attracts (vain, egotistical, etc.) is something I believe applies to everyone. It's a hotbed for single mothers that don't have the time to go out and do anything, crazy/socially inept women, and overweight women. If you land a date with a good looking woman on there I can guarantee you that something is terribly amiss with her. The site is awful for a person like me and I will promptly delete my account. As I said before, I will never recommend this site of plenty of fish to anyone I know.

Single mothers, crazy women can't be good looking?

Fuck

Getting nothing back here

One chick messages me and then hasn't been online for two weeks. Engaged in heavy convo with one girl, then BLAM. The OKC wall of nothing...she hasn't replied in like 3 days.

Anyway!

Edit* we rating each others profiles? Can I get some love?!

Fuck

Getting nothing back here

One chick messages me and then hasn't been online for two weeks. Engaged in heavy convo with one girl, then BLAM. The OKC wall of nothing...she hasn't replied in like 3 days.

Anyway!

Edit* we rating each others profiles? Can I get some love?!

Sure can get some love from us. Do the whole quote to see bit. :)

Also, it happens, don't worry. The problem is there's a thousand guys on OKC thinking with their dicks and wanting sex, and they will scare off a lot of girls. I've had two disappear on me in the last two weeks through no fault of my own. Nothing you can do but hope they come back some day and just soldier on.

Sure can get some love from us. Do the whole quote to see bit. :)

Also, it happens, don't worry. The problem is there's a thousand guys on OKC thinking with their dicks and wanting sex, and they will scare off a lot of girls. I've had two disappear on me in the last two weeks through no fault of my own. Nothing you can do but hope they come back some day and just soldier on.

Sorry I don't understand. Quote to see bit?!

equap

Banned
so finally a cute girl shows up in my quiver (wtf is this anyway) and we have some stuff in common...WHAT SHOULD I SAY?!?! :[

Just sent a girl a picture of my complete comic collection, I can assume she'll respond by sending nudes right?

so finally a cute girl shows up in my quiver (wtf is this anyway) and we have some stuff in common...WHAT SHOULD I SAY?!?! :[

Write her a sonnet, I'll start you off -

"My heart was beginning to wither;
Until the day you showed up in my quiver"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom