• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

There's only one girl in the world who is off limits for you, Ash.

Edit: 2.

Nobody is off limits, the world is my oyster.

Who's the second?

No response from her, but I did get one from this other girl who I'm unsure about messaging back. I don't want to seem too shallow but her pictures and description make me think shes not my type. Might just use her to get my dot to yellow..

Tess3ract

Banned
Do you have a pro account? If not, it won't let you know someone rated you unless you rated them back. Once you do, you'll immediately get a message saying they rated you
I voted everyone who viewed my profile but I'm still at 37 votes and 8/10 of the people who viewed me (like from illinos or UK or california or whatever) didn't vote.

mj1108

Just had an interesting Convo with the girl who gave me her number earlier. Everything was awesome till she started calling white people crackers and basically went on a racist rant about the white devil and called me all kinds of shit for saying you can't judge a race as a whole. Mind you me and her are both mexican.It ended with her telling me to fuck off and hanging up on me. Some people...

She's a keeper. :lol

Loona

How would I word that if my hobbies w/r/t projects tend to be mechanics/electronics related without sounding boring? It'd be like reciting calculus formulas in my profile

Just make a general mention of gadgeteering, which sounds like something with a psysical/practical component to it - going into details could sound boring, but the image of getting stuff done isn't.

equap

Banned
I always have a generic one if a girl visits me and says nothing

"Ahhh, a look at my profile and no message. No fair!"

That's it!

She said she Is terrible at this and we had a little talk. Its last here, so we will carry on tomorrow. I'm going to try and take this offline ASAP
lol this worked. she replied but her message is lame:
:) sorry didnt have time to reply. Cute dog you got there!
WHAT SHOULD I SAY?!?!?

Loona

lol this worked. she replied but her message is lame:

WHAT SHOULD I SAY?!?!?

"It's even cuter in person, wanna go for a walk with it? I can chaperone for the occasion"

The girl I messaged the other day seems to be into the idea of going out one of these days, but no date mentioned yet. She's also moving to a place of her own, and like me, could use some time furniture-hunting, which she suggested. I mentioned an area I was told has a few options (before surrendering to Ikea I'd rather check the national stuff), which should obly ve viable on the weekend.

We've exchanged phone numbers, and I get the feeling I should send her a message halfway through the week as a reminder, but I'm not too inspired yet as to what actually say in it. I might get a name of one of the stores tomorrow, hopefully, which could help.

Ah, that feel when I boost down my reply rating by cold-heartedly ignoring the girl that sent me this message out of the blue:

"I just wanted to inform you that your profile is amazingly perfectly hilariously adorable and without meeting you I have come to this choice:
I want to talk to you more and become your friend if your graciously accept
Or
You're just so damn adorable that I cannot handle because the cuteness shall kill me..
Haahaaa :)
By the way, my name is [EDITED OUT TO PROTECT THE INNOCENT] and I love doing public relation things."

IT AIN'T EASY HAVIN SO MUCH SWAG WHILE I HIDE BEHIND MY WORDS AND COMPUTER SCREEN

:p

Xun

Ask her out immediately.

Honestly, your messages have been so dense your very next message should be asking for a drink or something. It's not going to seem imprompt because you've exchanged a lot of info in a short time. Don't drag it out
I'm writing the message out now.

Without sounding like an arse, she looks a bit overweight, and her profile lists her as "Full figured", but at the same time it'll be good experience going on a date. She does seem really cute though.

Ovid

I'm black with a splish-splash of Irish.

I'm seriously thinking of throwing a hood rich picture into the mix. Or changing my message and making it more urban friendly.
Don't do it. It's not going to make you "blacker".

Throwing a so-called "hood rich" pic is going to attract a certain type of woman.

Just be yourself.

Between this and the simping thread, I must admit to being a little disillusioned by this whole game. I gotta stop caring so much about trying to impress the girls on here.

I'm writing the message out now.

Without sounding like an arse, she looks a bit overweight, and her profile lists her as "Full figured", but at the same time it'll be good experience going on a date. She does seem really cute though.

You could always be friends. One date doesn't mean you're destined to walk down the aisle.

KlotePino

Just wanted to post my OKC on here to get some advice. OKC's pretty barren in my country and I'm not looking to rely on it at all but it looks interesting and there's some international girls that seem cool so I just figured I'd give it a shot. www.okcupid.com/profile/glitchedmob

EDIT: Is there a way to see people who recently signed up? I don't want to go through matches just to try and find a few new people who signed up.

Ah, that feel when I boost down my reply rating by cold-heartedly ignoring the girl that sent me this message out of the blue:

"I just wanted to inform you that your profile is amazingly perfectly hilariously adorable and without meeting you I have come to this choice:
Or
You're just so damn adorable that I cannot handle because the cuteness shall kill me..
By the way, my name is [EDITED OUT TO PROTECT THE INNOCENT] and I love doing public relation things."

IT AIN'T EASY HAVIN SO MUCH SWAG WHILE I HIDE BEHIND MY WORDS AND COMPUTER SCREEN

Haha, cold blooded. I don't think I've EVER gotten a message that long from a woman. They only do "Hey, how's it going?" or "Hey :)".

Their smart enough to know that if I like their profile and I find them resonably attractive I will respond to anything, haha.

Loona

EDIT: Is there a way to see people who recently signed up? I don't want to go through matches just to try and find a few new people who signed up.

When you search, you can do so by stats like the Match or Friend percentage, but also by "Who's new" - newer users show up on top.

Maddocks

Just got turned down, but not really hard. She sent me a message a day and it was short and I was sending paragraphs, but I don't really mind. 4 days I was strung along then finally cut off. I view the site like Starship Troopers, a girl will talk to someone till they find someone better or I die. All about Rico's roughnecks.

now we move forward on to the next girl. Charge on gents!

Got a reply earlier this afternoon from the one I wrote to yesterday. She seems really cool, wrote her back hinting at a meeting soon. We'll see how things go, but I'm optimistic!

Just got turned down, but not really hard. She sent me a message a day and it was short and I was sending paragraphs, but I don't really mind. 4 days I was strung along then finally cut off. I view the site like Starship Troopers, a girl will talk to someone till they find someone better or I die. All about Rico's roughnecks.

now we move forward on to the next girl. Charge on gents!

Love the attitude. Soldier on, friend.

image.php

If you wanna dress "hood" in your pics to get black woman (doesn't make sense...but whatever) then that's the type of women you're going to get....hood. If you're into that then by all means go for it.

lol, I was just kidding but you are right. I can't see how anyone likes "hood" women.

Got a date tonight with the chick that has a kid i mentioned a few pages back. Got another date tomorrow with another girl i've been seeing for a while that hit me up on there. As of now i'm not feeling either of them that much, but hey it's nice to go on dates now and then.

I am sort of in a conundrum:

1. I messaged someone on Match. A day or two later I get a chat response from the sister of the girl whom I messaged. She was nice and wanted to find out more about me to protect her sister. I had no problem with it. So we had a conversation using the IM system on Match.

2. Get sent a message a day later from someone claiming to be the person's friend, whom also happens to be on Match. The story looks like it checks out because both the person I messaged and this "friend" who contacted me are both in each other's profile pictures. I had no problem with chatting with her as well.

3. Two days later finally the person I originally messaged contacts me. She said that her sister and friend had a very positive impression of me. Her email is some smalltalk, asks what I do for a living and then a few questions.

4. I respond back on the same day with in hindsight what I think is probably too long of an email on Saturday night. Basically I indicated I was very interested in her qualities/personality and that many of her interests we share in common. Also that I would love to chat sometime using Match's IMs functionality because I am not to comfortable sending messages back and forth. I threw out a time and day if she was free to chat or if she was comfortable I did not mind giving out my phone number if she wanted to text instead. Not sure if that was mistake...

It is Monday (2 days later) and I have not heard anything back. I am wondering if I should wait a week and send some sort of follow-up message. Is that mistake? I do not want to come as desperate. I was just going to say I hope she had a good Thanksgiving, hope she got my previous message, and that I would still be interested in chatting sometime. I have no problem moving on to someone else, but I really liked how she described herself in her profile and would like to get to know her better.

equap

Banned

Or

post your profile, dog.

I am sort of in a conundrum:

1. I messaged someone on Match. A day or two later I get a chat response from the sister of the girl whom I messaged. She was nice and wanted to find out more about me to protect her sister. I had no problem with it. So we had a conversation using the IM system on Match.

2. Get sent a message a day later from someone claiming to be the person's friend, whom also happens to be on Match. The story looks like it checks out because both the person I messaged and this "friend" who contacted me are both in each other's profile pictures. I had no problem with chatting with her as well.

3. Two days later finally the person I originally messaged contacts me. She said that her sister and friend had a very positive impression of me. Her email is some smalltalk, asks what I do for a living and then a few questions.

4. I respond back on the same day with in hindsight what I think is probably too long of an email on Saturday night. Basically I indicated I was very interested in her qualities/personality and that many of her interests we share in common. Also that I would love to chat sometime using Match's IMs functionality because I am not to comfortable sending messages back and forth. I threw out a time and day if she was free to chat or if she was comfortable I did not mind giving out my phone number if she wanted to text instead. Not sure if that was mistake...

It is Monday (2 days later) and I have not heard anything back. I am wondering if I should wait a week and send some sort of follow-up message. Is that mistake? I do not want to come as desperate. I was just going to say I hope she had a good Thanksgiving, hope she got my previous message, and that I would still be interested in chatting sometime. I have no problem moving on to someone else, but I really liked how she described herself in her profile and would like to get to know her better.

Oh, fuck that. She basically screens you as if you're applying for some senior-level position in a Fortune 500 company and then flakes on you the moment you suggest that you'd actually like to get to know her beyond a screen-based conversation?

Fuck. That.

I was shaking my head as I read through the fact that she sent her sister and friend to screen you, first of all. The lack of a response is just the cherry on top. Personally, I would forget her. She's either not serious about getting to know you or she's so scared of any contact beyond words on a screen that you probably scared her off. There are simply some girls that necessitate a long back-and-forth messaging phase before they'll even consider meeting in person. She seems like one of them.

My $0.02.

Oh, fuck that. She basically screens you as if you're applying for some senior-level position in a Fortune 500 company and then flakes on you the moment you suggest that you'd actually like to get to know her beyond a screen-based conversation?

Fuck. That.

I was shaking my head as I read through the fact that she sent her sister and friend to screen you, first of all. The lack of a response is just the cherry on top. Personally, I would forget her. She's either not serious about getting to know you or she's so scared of any contact beyond words on a screen that you probably scared her off. There are simply some girls that necessitate a long back-and-forth messaging phase before they'll even consider meeting in person. She seems like one of them.

My $0.02.
I did not mind at the time talking to her sister and friend because I thought it was more of a protection type thing to weed out the creeps. But when you put it in that perspective I see what you mean. Hmmm...perhaps I should just leave things how they are and do not write any follow-up message a week from now. Ironic thing about your statement is that I actually work for a Global 500 company and it took me 4 interviews at the company to get my job.

I did not mind at the time talking to her sister and friend because I thought it was more of a protection type thing to weed out the creeps.

Any conversation between you two was already taking place behind a screen - short of suddenly offending her with bad language, there was no way for you to hurt her. You screen people before you meet them by engaging with them through messaging first. She had a pre-screen before the screen. It's silly.

But when you put it in that perspective I see what you mean. Hmmm...perhaps I should just leave things how they are and do not write any follow-up message a week from now. Ironic thing about your statement is that I actually work for a Fortune 500 company and it took me 4 interviews at the company to get my job.

I'd be surprised if she messages you back at all, to be honest. It's possible stuff just got really busy for her, but given her behavior my guess is that you may have just spooked her by *gasp* wanting to have a normal conversation with her offline. I was recently talking to a girl on POF on a regular basis and every time I'd bring up the topic of exchanging phone numbers she'd conveniently forget to address it in her response and would only communicate with me through the website. There are some girls that are just incredibly hesitant to have any form of communication outside the parameters of the website. Maybe they think once you get their number you'll just abuse it left and right. I dunno.

It sucks, but what can you do?

I'd be surprised if she messages you back at all, to be honest. It's possible stuff just got really busy for her, but given her behavior my guess is that you may have just spooked her by *gasp* wanting to have a normal conversation with her offline. I was recently talking to a girl on POF on a regular basis and every time I'd bring up the topic of exchanging phone numbers she'd conveniently forget to address it. There are some girls that are just incredibly hesitant to have any form of communication outside the parameters of the website.

It sucks, but what can you do?
I see what you mean. Honestly it was not a ploy on my part to get her phone number, I just wanted to make things easier and have a conversation with texting instead of sending emails that take days to get a response for both parties. A few months ago I texted someone back and forth and that person had no problem with it. It was a good thing we did the texting because we found out we were not really into each other. I hate using the chat functionalities on the website because you both have to been on at a designated time. Well to each their own I guess.

I see what you mean. Honestly it was not a ploy on my part to get her phone number, I just wanted to make things easier and have a conversation with texting instead of sending emails that take days to get a response for both parties. A few months ago I texted someone back and forth and that person had no problem with it. It was a good thing we did the texting because we found out we were not really into each other. Well to each their own I guess.

Oh, we all know it wasn't a ploy. I'd be surprised if anyone in this thread thought you did anything wrong in your interaction with her.

But if there's one thing I've learned through being on these websites and reading anecdotes in this thread, it's that the only predictable thing about human behavior on these websites is that it's unpredictable.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Are their any secret codes I should be aware of? I sent a message before I had a picture.. And got a reply (1/1!) It ended in a :p.

What does this mean!

Maddocks

:( ok i wont ask questions

Questions are fine, we are all here to help each other out. But to answer your question, no its not a code. Some girls like to add smiles just because they are friendly and a smile is a nice friendly thing to do. I wouldn't think to much about it or deeply into it. Sometimes a smile is just a smile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom