• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necrovex

Quote for maximum glory

I'm pretty sure though we've all rated each other 5 stars already :p

That's some really good writing. I should treat my summary as I do with my personal statements, completely creative, unique and a little batshit insane. My profile was like that prior, yet it wasn't completely over the edge. When I return to Okcupid, I'm going over that edge and leap to the heavens!

crush7337

Banned
Switched up my profile some just need to add some new pics.

Had OKC open in another tab, and came over in time to see that I had gotten an unsolicited message and IM from a girl. Get excited, check the profile, and of course, fat chick. Oh well. At least it may lead me to a yellow light.

Az987

all good things
So am I the only white guy here that only gets play from black women on these sites?

Whats up with that? I like white chicks too!

equap

Banned
Switched up my profile some just need to add some new pics.

Had OKC open in another tab, and came over in time to see that I had gotten an unsolicited message and IM from a girl. Get excited, check the profile, and of course, fat chick. Oh well. At least it may lead me to a yellow light.
what is this?

DrBo42

what is this?

It's a color coded status of how often you reply to messages.

Red replies very selectively. (Read - Heroic boss mob)

Yellow replies selectively. (Read - Dungeon trash mob)

Green replies often. (Read - Critter/underleveled mob)

It's a color coded status of how often you reply to messages.

Red replies very selectively. (Read - Heroic boss mob)

Yellow replies selectively. (Read - Dungeon trash mob)

Green replies often. (Read - Critter/underleveled mob)

Awesome.

Side note - I don't think I've ever really paid attention to a girl's reply rate when messaging her, but I think I have a better than average rate of reply from reds. Only real "trick" is that every message I send is sincere, if I ask a question then it's because I want to know the answer not just because it's a convenient ice breaker.
If I don't have something to say to a girl after reading her profile I'll check her match questions and look for "answers with explanations", hopefully be able to pull something out of that.

DrBo42

That initial message really is my downfall. I cannot for the life of me write something that isn't terrible. My humor/personality only works in a conversation. I need ideas/what works for you guys.

Ovid

That initial message really is my downfall. I cannot for the life of me write something that isn't terrible. My humor/personality only works in a conversation. I need ideas/what works for you guys.

What do you mean? Just ask them a question about something they said in their profile.

DrBo42

Find out where she lives and send her a bouquet of dead rats with their tails strung together, so it spells out "Date? -[username]."

tumblr_lrjnrkbLev1r3ovdbo1_400.gif

Az987

all good things
SO do you guys message everyone who views your profile? I realized I have like 250 views on my pof profile but only like 25 unsolicited messages. I was like, damn! but 95% of the time I don't bother sending anyone messages.

Ovid

SO do you guys message everyone who views your profile? I realized I have like 250 views on my pof profile but only like 25 unsolicited messages. I was like, damn! but 95% of the time I don't bother sending anyone messages.

No. Only the ones that seem remotely interesting.

All visitors get 5-stars though.

mj1108

25-50 miles, otherwise it's not worth it

That's 50-100 miles of driving you know

Mine is 288 miles away. Yes it's a bit of driving for the both of us. Sometimes I go down there, sometimes she comes up there and other times we meet about halfway.

She's completely worth it.

Only the ones that sounded like they would be interesting enough to talk to.

Necrovex

Mine is 288 miles away. Yes it's a bit of driving for the both of us. Sometimes I go down there, sometimes she comes up there and other times we meet about halfway.

She's completely worth it.

Only the ones that sounded like they would be interesting enough to talk to.

Oh my god, I couldn't manage a 300 miles relationship. I need that physical proximity if I am going to date someone. That distance would be such an issue for my schedule.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Goddamn it! I was supposed to meet this chick today for coffee and I wasn't able to cause I woke up REALLY late (stupid alarm didn't go off) and I had to call it off. I tried to text her later in the day to ask if she was free another time and she hasn't responded so far. I think I blew it. :(

Something is weird

I've had three unsolicited 5 star ratings from girls from ireland. Same types of girls too. So thinking they were fake, I did some e-investigation and they turn out that they are real chicks

One appeared on the hottest girls on OKC, and one is quite popular on twitter. Real everyday pics and tweets....hmmm...

Anyway. Got a LATE text from an OKC target who I just wanna bone as she's a bit too young for me. So ill sooowoooop on that and see how it goes

[disclaimer: i'm drunk]

Two new numbers in the past two days, BOTH of them acquired in 24 hours or less from initial contact

If I weren't so drunk I'd respond to that DrBro post about opening messages, as I've been having good luck so far

Have I mentioned though that I LITERALLY owe ALL of my success on this to GAF? This is my second account here (on GAF I mean, not OKC... though it's my second account on OKC as well so... ah whatever, everything is blurry). My first account spent MANY lonely hours, days, weeks, months, and even years in the OG dating thread

That reminds me, where in the hell is Combine? Does anyone know what happened to him? I would LOVE to reach out if anyone could PM me his facebook profile or something. Little did he know at the time, but his original thread changed my entire life.

Part of me hates how I've posted here in this thread. I do NOT want to come across as the asshole that brags about his "way badass an Xtreeeme profile!" with the big ego. I've rated all of you blokes who have posted their profiles (legitimately EVERY SINGLE ONE) five stars, not just out of courtesy, but because dating-GAF has seriously changed my life and I want to repay the favor in anyway I can. Just because I've gone to school for a major (Public Relations) that has developed my writing skills doesn't mean I'm inherently better at it than any of you. Three years ago I was so bad with girls that I would turn red and blush and sweat whenever ANY girl that was mildly attractive talked to me, let alone a girl I liked. I swear to Thor, that ALL changed because of the OG dating thread. I took the advice to heart, went through the trials and tribulations, and learned skills that I take for granted now. And I'm serious, I take it for granted to an ENORMOUS extent, which is why I probably sometimes come off as an asshole here :/ I cannot even remember (in any meaningful detail at least) what life was like before my cambrian explosion of social skills and thus, friends. I guess I can justify it by typing that I "put in my time", because really, I did (what with my depression being a direct result from my poor socialization for so long), But it is such an essential life skill, not just for dating, that I really want to share any knowledge I gained with people that are NOW going through what I've already experienced.

I guess my whole point with this post is that I love the collective GAF, which translates to each and every individual dating-Gaf member (as long as you aren't a terrible person). As I said, OG dating-GAF is what I owe EVERY aspect of my socialization skills to. That's not to downplay the immense amount of work I put into it, because shit, it took a lot of gumption for someone in my mental state to go through. My incredible college experiences, my dozens of friends I would have never had if I wouldn't have forced myself to be outgoing, my current good fortune with OKC, and beyond ALL of that, my permanent life skill of knowing how to work a room at a party or shmooze specific people in certain situations (or yes, even how to flirt with girls in a way that is productive to your end goal), I can all trace back to the catalyst that was Combine

To keep me honest on this shit, post specific questions or whatever. Again, I'm no guru, but I still want some method of accountability to ensure that I carry on the torch of the new-skool dating threads here

And once again, I may be drunk, but I <3 you blokes so very much

Ovid

I hate when I'm viewing profiles and I do this:

1. See a beautiful woman
  2. Message her
  3. Tell myself this is the last profile I'm going to visit today
  4. Look to the right of the screen
  5. See another beautiful face
  6. Goes back to Step 2

Shit bugs the hell out of me.

Maddocks

1. See a beautiful woman
  2. Message her
  3. Tell myself this is the last profile I'm going to visit today
  4. Look to the right of the screen
  5. See another beautiful face
  6. Goes back to Step 2

I do the same thing, its the main thing that got me to 250+ messages sent problem I'm at today.

Old Lace

drunken goodness
I agree with everything in this post. I also wonder what happened to Combine.

tarius1210 said:
See a beautiful woman
Message her
Tell myself this is the last profile I'm going to visit today
Look to the right of the screen
See another beautiful face
Goes back to Step 2

This happens to me way too often.

May as well mention I have a date this evening. I have sort of a weird feeling about this one though, no real reason for it... just a weird feeling.

Ashhong

Damn, just when I think I don't care about OKC and POF, I find a girl that is just stunning and perfect. I get excited, send a thoughtful message, and get my hopes up even though I probably wont get a response. Curse these sites! It's like crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom