• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok maybe it's just me but is it normal for so many women to be listed as Bisexual? Seems like way more than should be statistically possible, unless it stems from the age group (21-30) I'm looking at, or is there some other reason? Maybe GLBT are more into okc than straight people?
Speaking of this there's a m to f trans I have a match with, I think she's really cute but I don't think I could go through with it, it's probably better off just a fantasy and I consider myself straight but I've got a weird
excited feeling.

Xun

Live and learn brother. Still, completely shitty of her to bail out like that. I'm sorry man :/
I was really looking forward to it, so it does sadden me a bit, admittedly.

It's been over 2 years since I last went on a date, and that was with one of my friends I once dated, so it wasn't the same. In some ways this would have been my first ever date, or what would feel like one anyway.

It's just fucking depressing.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Wow, messaged a girl without really expecting much, but we are having a really great conversation. Paragraphs from each of us in each message. =)

KlotePino

I'm going through all the steps everyone's going through in this thread it seems. Had conversations with 4 girls I was all atleast a little interested in and after 1-2 responses they just suddenly stop responding. Once sent this as her last message responding to a lengthier message: "Ah. Thats cool, and yup ive been there before". I mean what are you supposed to do with that seriously. I either can't write any messages myself or whenever I do have something interesting to talk about they just close up with such small messages.

crush7337

Banned
My ex that I met on the site was bisexual. She was just interested in trying to find guys on the site though, and told me that she wouldn't look for a girl on OKC because she figured there would be better sites for meeting other girls on.

I'm going through all the steps everyone's going through in this thread it seems. Had conversations with 4 girls I was all atleast a little interested in and after 1-2 responses they just suddenly stop responding. Once sent this as her last message responding to a lengthier message: "Ah. Thats cool, and yup ive been there before". I mean what are you supposed to do with that seriously. I either can't write any messages myself or whenever I do have something interesting to talk about they just close up with such small messages.

E6Wcv.gif

But replace 'neogaf' with 'online dating'

Your chances of success with a girl are inversely related to the amount of effort you have to put in after the first couple of messages.
If she drops off or closes up then you should just cut your losses and move on.

crush7337

Banned
Girl still responds and answers any question I ask, but does nothing to carry the conversation forward. I did get her name though, so maybe she's interested? Figure I should just get it over with and ask her out.

Normally its easier to ask them to meet, because they seem more engaged in their responses or we chat on the IM for a while. I have nothing to lose though. She is hot, but I have 2 other girls who are more interested lined up for dates also.

_Ph03n1x_

Sent out a bunch of messages tonight and hopefully I get some replies back soon. Out of curiosity, what are you guys saying in messages to get replies back?

Sent out a bunch of messages tonight and hopefully I get some replies back soon. Out of curiosity, what are you guys saying in messages to get replies back?

To be fair, sometimes even if you craft the most wonderful message, people don't even want to reply

It's honestly pot luck.

I mean the girl who rated me 4/5 stars and replied lengthily to my initial message still hasn't hollered back! S it really just seems as if its luck.

Al-ibn Kermit

I'd at most do a single IM chat before asking them out. Why waste your time skyping unless you're paranoid that they look nothing like their picture?

Ashhong

I'm in a bit of a weird mindset with some of these girls now. I message them when I'm only vaguely interested, I get a message back but I just don't care that much. I don't even try to set up a date really, just talk to them. Maybe it's because I have like no money at the moment. Yet at the same time I still want to find that someone. It's weird lol, never felt like this before

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
I'm curious what your guys response rate is. I just started a few days ago. I'm averaging 1 reply every 6 messages I send, specifically tailored to the person's profile.

Konosuke

I'm in a bit of a weird mindset with some of these girls now. I message them when I'm only vaguely interested, I get a message back but I just don't care that much. I don't even try to set up a date really, just talk to them. Maybe it's because I have like no money at the moment. Yet at the same time I still want to find that someone. It's weird lol, never felt like this before

I know that feeling, just try to meet with them as fast as you can or try o call them. You'll definitely be more interested.

Do you guys message okc's that have seeing someone in the profile? Just curious because of some of the messages I get.

I do, mostly just to get a reply back. I also assume that people with that on their profiles are looking for three ways or something, after all it is a dating site.

I know that feeling, just try to meet with them as fast as you can or try o call them. You'll definitely be more interested.

I do, mostly just to get a reply back. I also assume that people with that on their profiles are looking for three ways or something, after all it is a dating site.

I don't make a point of it, it's not my thing but I got one from a girl in an open relationship.

I've done it once, but only because she seemed cool and we had a lot in common.

Ahh okay. I just feel bad keeping it up when people waste their time and energy sending nice messages. And before people ask why I help people by rating them or telling them where I think their profile could use work.

Necrovex

Have you rated mine? :) (quote)

Tossed you a 5/5 too!

Ahh okay. I just feel bad keeping it up when people waste their time and energy sending nice messages. And before people ask why I help people by rating them or telling them where I think their profile could use work.

Devo, could you give mine a look over (and rate please!)? I would like to hear a woman's opinion on my profile. Quote!

Konosuke

Rated both of you too. If you don't mind Devo, check my profile as well lol. Quote it!

I feel really unlucky, I found two girls with the exact same interests as me and both of them are bi and not looking for men. I did end up messaging them, I hope at least to get a decent chat out of them. They were a great match of each other tho.

Tossed you a 5/5 too!

Devo, could you give mine a look over (and rate please!)? I would like to hear a woman's opinion on my profile. Quote!

Self-summary might be too much consider toning down the snark.

Rated both of you too. If you don't mind Devo, check my profile as well lol. Quote it!

I feel really unlucky, I found two girls with the exact same interests as me and both of them are bi and not looking for men. I did end up messaging them, I hope at least to get a decent chat out of them. They were a great match of each other tho.

You and vox have the opposite problem. I feel like he could tone his a bit down while you should add more personality to yours. If you just list stuff it doesn't give a good sense of who you are. It's how you say it you know?

Rated!

As a fellow mod, you should also check out and rate my profile, Devo.

Haha you got mod powers to?

_Ph03n1x_

To be fair, sometimes even if you craft the most wonderful message, people don't even want to reply

It's honestly pot luck.

I mean the girl who rated me 4/5 stars and replied lengthily to my initial message still hasn't hollered back! S it really just seems as if its luck.

well hopefully i get some replies soon.

"U want sum fuck" could be the best ending message ever. Its not a question, its a statement.

that has to be one of the most amazing things ever

Necrovex

Self-summary might be too much consider toning down the snark.

You and vox have the opposite problem. I feel like he could tone his a bit down while you should add more personality to yours. If you just list stuff it doesn't give a good sense of who you are. It's how you say it you know?

I appreciate it, Devo! I decided it was time to do some necessary edits and kill off a lot of the fluff. I also went ahead and toned down the snark.

Thanks guys, will rate you all back as well asap. Devo (or anyone else), any thoughts on my profile as well?

You should definitely do the hairstyle in your first pic often, it's really cool. Good idea to also mention friendships. More female friends, through whatever medium, means you meet women through those women. Maybe a bit more personality in yours too though. Although if any of you can cook, mention that, trust me.

Ashhong

You should definitely do the hairstyle in your first pic often, it's really cool. Good idea to also mention friendships. More female friends, through whatever medium, means you meet women through those women. Maybe a bit more personality in yours too though. Although if any of you can cook, mention that, trust me.

Thanks but do you know how long that hair took?! Way too long to admit lol. Thanks, I'll add some of that. How would you say to mention friendships? Like, my current friendships/activities that I do with said friends?

Meh, I'll take some advice if people are giving it out right now:

I love the shit about Garfield at the end. Makes me want to message you about it in order to ask if someone really did just only message you about it. And that's a good little hook. Other than that I'd consider getting a full body picture in a suit or jeans in there since you're a tall fella.

Thanks but do you know how long that hair took?! Way too long to admit lol. Thanks, I'll add some of that. How would you say to mention friendships? Like, my current friendships/activities that I do with said friends?

Yeah. Or like what bars you like to hit up? Aren't you basically in or around LA? Seems like a perfect way to hit up people for strictly social/friendly bar hopping without the tense romantic angle. Then if it goes well, it goes well.

I love the shit about Garfield at the end. Makes me want to message you about it in order to ask if someone really did just only message you about it. And that's a good little hook. Other than that I'd consider getting a full body picture in a suit or jeans in there since you're a tall fella.

Thanks! I only put the Garfield thing on there recently and you're the first to mention it, I wasn't sure if it fell into "weird thing that only I would find funny" or not but I'm glad to hear it works.

You're not the first to mention getting a full length pic so I'll work on that. The only unfortunate thing is 95% of the pictures taken of me in the last year or so are with the ex, but I need more recent stuff up there anyway as I've been getting in really good shape lately.
Cheers.

Nice to see another wrasslegaffer over there. I liked it, got a nice gleam into your personality.

Thanks. I five-starred you but I have no commentary as I'm very middling in my dating site skills

purg3

slept with Malkin
Devo giving out profile critiques? I wouldn't mind a woman's perspective.

Quote for link

In other news, 2 days and 2 more unsolicited messages from some pretty cute girls. Can't say how much of help this thread has been. I love you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom