• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
http://www.okcupid.com/profile/andrewandringo/

Any feedback on my profile? I'm not getting much of a response from anyone.
Why have a facial shot as you're main picture with a body like that. Not joking. Its pure sex.

I'm not an expert, but its a pretty boring profile. Like when you say this
"I work for the Hershey Company as an Engineer. I basically look for more efficient ways to make chocolate."
It feels like such a missed opportunity to say something humorous. You are a scientist who works in a chocolate factory.

And this is how most of you're profile feels. Fairly bare bones and empty. You write a single line, straight to the point.

Just point out a few things on what you did, how you filled out the first thing people notice about you was good. It got me to look at the other pictures. That is a good thing. Then you follow it up with something like, "At home on Friday night, its why I'm here". Stop it, its a turn off

Emily Chu

Banned
I'm an asian dude, been on OKC for like 2-3 weeks, been on 3 dates so far with 1 pending this week.

One latin girl, one japanese, one white, one vietnamese.

It's not hopeless

EDIT: going on a second date with the japanese girl, too, who is clearly interested romantically

shit... where do you live and can I have a gander at your profile?

acevans2

And this is how most of you're profile feels. Fairly bare bones and empty. You write a single line, straight to the point.

Just point out a few things on what you did, how you filled out the first thing people notice about you was good. It got me to look at the other pictures. That is a good thing. Then you follow it up with something like, "At home on Friday night, its why I'm here". Stop it, its a turn off
That's what I figured- thanks for the feedback (and use of specific examples).

It's odd for me to try and joke with strangers about myself, but I'll try to put some more personality and humor in. I think changing my main photo to the other is a bit tacky though.

I appreciate the ratings from all.

Maddocks

switch your main picture to the ab picture if you want to bang 40 year olds. Keep the picture it is now, the ab picture will only get you so far and I see so many profiles of girls saying,"if you have a shirtless picture, move on" so you would be alienating a good number of women in your age group.

add the funny and some sarcastic remarks and boom the women will be flooding you. Its better to have a longer profile then a short one.

jadedm17

My supervisor at work is on there. Fortunately she's looking for guys at least one year older than me so she probably hasn't seen my profile.

Thanks for posting this, I feel you cursed me as I just ran into a co-worker. Of course her picture was obvious and her name was part of her username, so I only have myself to blame. Damn my curiosity! (She's cool, and I don't really care* so no worries.)

*okay maybe a little

volpone

Banned
So I've been musing over the idea of making an OKC profile for some time now. Is there a comprehensive post I should refer to or any pearls of wisdom gaf wishes to offer me?

Maddocks

So I've been musing over the idea of making an OKC profile for some time now. Is there a comprehensive post I should refer to or any pearls of wisdom gaf wishes to offer me?

it would be hard to pinpoint one post to look at. after all with 7713 posts it would be difficult for anyone. But I believe would be to go back a few pages and read it over and read almost everything offered by MetalGuardian and Devolution, two of the brightest posters who give very clear advice and will help at any turn.

purg3

slept with Malkin

You can always just put a profile up then post it here for help or recommendations.

it would be hard to pinpoint one post to look at. after all with 7713 posts it would be difficult for anyone. But I believe would be to go back a few pages and read it over and read almost everything offered by MetalGuardian and Devolution, two of the brightest posters who give very clear advice and will help at any turn.

I would second reading some of MetalGuardian's posts. It's definitely helped me find success on this site.

jadedm17

Be positive, be charasmatic but be yourself, have a (smiling) picture of yourself and use humor. Nothing lengthy or self-deprecating.

As for actually getting responses? Thick skin, its a numbers game and woman are on the good end. Positive, always positive.

If you have access to a leather jacket and a surf board be sure to put up a picture that includes both.

Various pics. Full body length, your face, doing activities. Don't worry too much about answering the okc questions so much as displaying a personality with what you write. Just writing a list or writing things in a very monotone style will bore people who try to read your profile.

RayStorm

I made some changes to my profile (mainly adding a few more words), I'm thankful on opinions on that (quote for link):

Other than what has already been said:
I think of the 4 pictures you uploaded you chose the most nondescript one as your profile picture. Also "message me if you want to" seems like useless rhetoric to me.

Been messaging this girl for the past week. I dropped my name a few messages ago but she has yet to. I want to ask her out on a date but I need her name first haha... any recommendations?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Been messaging this girl for the past week. I dropped my name a few messages ago but she has yet to. I want to ask her out on a date but I need her name first haha... any recommendations?

"Hey, we've been talking for a while and i still don't know your name?"

Doesn't seem that hard honestly. :p

Maddocks

lol I got the best reply to a message ever. I asked about her band, all I for back was two words. Thank You.

thats it lol I swear I need to start sending cave man messages. I actually read her profile and commented on it, added a joke. asked about something she ia passionate about and all I get is Thank You....next time I'm sending "oooohh ohhhh pretty lady, we go lay now kay?"

8byte

Banned
I got super lucky, I think. I messaged one person only, and it's been fantastic ever since. We sent around 40 messages back and forth before coffee. We met at a bar once with a bunch of her friends and a bunch of mine, and had a lot of fun. Monday we went to a 7pm movie, and ended up talking at her place until 5am. Couldn't be better!

I'd say it's probably because you have a shirtless picture on your profile. Not that I'm trying to make any suggestions about you, as I don't know you, but most women I know will see that as a red flag for dating. You might get some hits from people interested in a 1 night stand, but I can't imagine more than that. I'd recommend getting rid of that pic, maybe. I'd also try to scale back on all the physique / fitness talk. You mention is like 4 or 5 times in your profile. I think you'd be better served just mentioning it once in your main blurb and saying it plays a really big role in your life.

Just my two cents. :)

Just be to the point. "Hey, I'm really enjoying all the great conversation! Mind if I catch your first name?". Or just ask her if she wants to get coffee instead of asking for a date. More relaxed and social setting, less pressure, and she'll probably be more willing to say yes to a cup of coffee instead of a long dinner. If things click, ,you'll definitely get a date afterwards, if not, move on. :)

augmental

Ok, GAF, I need your opinions please and if you are kind a high rating :)

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/KCRockerIT

Doing online dating after a breakup is weird, but I need to get back out there. I have already seen two profiles of girls I know but would never want to be with. Anyway any opinions / help is much appreciated. Thanks.

8byte

Banned

Doing online dating after a breakup is weird, but I need to get back out there. I have already seen two profiles of girls I know but would never want to be with. Anyway any opinions / help is much appreciated. Thanks.

I'd work on improving the punctuation / grammar on your profile. A lot of girls are sticklers for that, I've noticed. Also, I'd replace a lot of the serious relationship stuff with something a bit more relaxed. A lot of women will be turned off by that and think it's a relationship that will move too quickly. Focus on meeting new people, exploring their personality, and then getting serious. Saying you want something serious out of the gate is a red flag to most single women, in my experience.

Also, write more about yourself! One off sentences tend to look less intriguing, despite being to the point. Also fill out more of the profile bits (religion, diets, smoking, drinking, etc). Women are very interested in the small details, so don't write them off!

Just be to the point. "Hey, I'm really enjoying all the great conversation! Mind if I catch your first name?". Or just ask her if she wants to get coffee instead of asking for a date. More relaxed and social setting, less pressure, and she'll probably be more willing to say yes to a cup of coffee instead of a long dinner. If things click, ,you'll definitely get a date afterwards, if not, move on. :)

Okay thanks. I'm a paranoid dude so I was thinking she's being polite and responding without giving her name.

I'd say it's probably because you have a shirtless picture on your profile. Not that I'm trying to make any suggestions about you, as I don't know you, but most women I know will see that as a red flag for dating. You might get some hits from people interested in a 1 night stand, but I can't imagine more than that. I'd recommend getting rid of that pic, maybe. I'd also try to scale back on all the physique / fitness talk. You mention is like 4 or 5 times in your profile. I think you'd be better served just mentioning it once in your main blurb and saying it plays a really big role in your life.

Just my two cents. :)

Just a thought going off this, if there were a better way to get a topless shot than the mirror pic it would do wonders. Like if you had one at the beach or something, that way it's much less blatantly showing off your physique.

Maddocks

I sent about 5 message out this morning and got 3 replies back. not one girl visited my profile. I figured it was universal, check out the profile then reply. But nope. does feel good to know they are replying based on what I sent other then if I take good pictures or have a witty profile.

Definitely fill more of your profile out, especially the favourites bit. I find that the easiest to use as a conversation starter.

I sent about 5 message out this morning and got 3 replies back. not one girl visited my profile. I figured it was universal, check out the profile then reply. But nope. does feel good to know they are replying based on what I sent other then if I take good pictures or have a witty profile.

A-list or whatever it's called?

Maddocks

they might be A-listers but picking out 5 A-listers is kinda rare. who actually pays the 15 dollars a month just to be able to change your name on the fly and browse anonymously?

they might be A-listers but picking out 5 A-listers is kinda rare. who actually pays the 15 dollars a month just to be able to change your name on the fly and browse anonymously?

You can browse anonymously without being A-list, it's just needed if you want to browse anonymously and still see who visits you.

Loona

There's this girl I messaged over last week and since we've exchanged phone numbers and rough plans for a movie this weekend.
In the messages she dropped some clues to her more regular online alias, and yesterday I got a bit curious and found a couple of accounts of hers online, which give more hints to her tastes than her profile does, but I'm feeling a bit guilty over it.

I'm thinking of sending her my IM info to make up for it, give her similar options and help along weekend planning.

I hope my net connection is back today, last night it failed me, and it'd delay the amends I intent to make...

There's this girl I messaged over last week and since we've exchanged phone numbers and rough plans for a movie this weekend.
In the messages she dropped some clues to her more regular online alias, and yesterday I got a bit curious and found a couple of accounts of hers online, which give more hints to her tastes than her profile does, but I'm feeling a bit guilty over it.

I'm thinking of sending her my IM info to make up for it, give her similar options and help along weekend planning.

I hope my net connection is back today, last night it failed me, and it'd delay the amends I intent to make...

It's not spying if it's all posted publicly, you can own up or you could just use it to show her a better time. I've told my dates that I've Googled them prior to meeting them and they were all cool with it and said they did the same.

Loona

It's not spying if it's all posted publicly, you can own up or you could just use it to show her a better time. I've told my dates that I've Googled them prior to meeting them and they were all cool with it and said they did the same.

It'd be easier to own up and give her equivalent info if my net was working today, dammit... Can't IM properly like this...

crush7337

Banned
Finally got the number of the girl I've been messaging the past few days. Got her Facebook also, and was pleased to see that the pictures she put up on OKC weren't her best. She's a little hesistant about meeting, but said we could try to meet next week.

Also sent some other girl, who had a dull profile, the Swanson TV dinner copy/paste message. Felt sort of dirty for stooping to that, but I really couldn't come up with anything interesting from her profile.

mjc

Finally got the number of the girl I've been messaging the past few days. Got her Facebook also, and was pleased to see that the pictures she put up on OKC weren't her best. She's a little hesistant about meeting, but said we could try to meet next week.

Also sent some other girl, who had a dull profile, the Swanson TV dinner copy/paste message. Felt sort of dirty for stooping to that, but I really couldn't come up with anything interesting from her profile.

Yeah its tough to write anything good with the dull profiles some girls have. I tend to do the copy/paste for those too.

Thanks for the ratings on my profile guys/girls! Is there anything you suggest to tighten it up at all?

Bisnic

What's with girls who check my profile first before reading my messages? A few of them just read my profile and never bother to read my message after that...

I'm starting to think i should edit my profile to tell them to read my messages or something, it's annoying to put so much effort into a message when there is a risk they won't even read it. =/ Online "dating" is starting to be more frustrating than anything.

Necrovex

What's with girls who check my profile first before reading my messages? A few of them just read my profile and never bother to read my message after that...

I'm starting to think i should edit my profile to tell them to read my messages or something, it's annoying to put so much effort into a message when there is a risk they won't even read it. =/ Online "dating" is starting to be more frustrating than anything.

You shouldn't be too surprised. This is why we stress having a solid profile. If your profile is bad, 9 times out of 10, a woman won't respond to you, regardless if you wrote something on the level of Shakespeare.

Just got done retooling my profile a bit, what do you guys think?

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/matterdrive

This is going to sound meaner than I intend, so I apologize in advance: why do both of you talk about your humor/sarcasm or it's the first thing people notice about you and not utilize it in your profile? I understand that it's harder to write these things than on the spot humor based on conversation but it just seems like "oh he thinks he's funny, this profile sure is drab though."

crush7337

Banned

Wait, how can you tell if they read your messages?

Bisnic

Wait, how can you tell if they read your messages?

I'm not using okcupid, i'm just posting here because it seems like its the biggest "online dating" thread.

You shouldn't be too surprised. This is why we stress having a solid profile. If your profile is bad, 9 times out of 10, a woman won't respond to you, regardless if you wrote something on the level of Shakespeare.

Yeah, that's what i figured, guess i should put more interesting facts about me on my profile. But it sucks on how i lost my chances with these interesting girls now. I don't have hundreds of choices from where i am.

Unless i try to send another message in a few days.

augmental

This is going to sound meaner than I intend, so I apologize in advance: why do both of you talk about your humor/sarcasm or it's the first thing people notice about you and not utilize it in your profile? I understand that it's harder to write these things than on the spot humor based on conversation but it just seems like "oh he thinks he's funny, this profile sure is drab though."

Well, you are absolutely right. When you meet me in person I am that way...but...I dunno, just trying too hard to actually write something funny seems forced to me. I am mulling over what I want to put down. Thanks for the advice.

mjc

Never thought about that....huh. Thanks!

Well, you are absolutely right. When you meet me in person I am that way...but...I dunno, just trying too hard to actually write something funny seems forced to me. I am mulling over what I want to put down. Thanks for the advice.

Never thought about that....huh. Thanks!

No problem, just wanna help, humor is definitely a fun way to get through a profile and think someone would be a delight to hang out with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom