• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your profile was boring to me. I skip girls with profiles like yours. (Edit: I hope that doesn't sound so harsh. lol)

Try to make yourself sound more unique and not just any ol' guy. Be more specific. Don't say "love to have fun," say what you do to have fun. You mention being an animator, which is interesting, but you never expand on it. Maybe link to an example piece, or talk about past projects. Don't say that you're really good at "being me." Say something more attention-grabbing, something predictable like "I was known for beíng a good artist/animator" to something simple like "I can cook a mean steak" to something weird like "I can stuff 20 raisins up my nose" is guaranteed to get more of a reaction than that.

Not harsh at all (well, a little). Thanks for the advice! I am reevaluating all of this. Why does it have to be so hard?

What do the ratings do, btw?

Maddocks

Not harsh at all (well, a little). Thanks for the advice! I am reevaluating all of this. Why does it have to be so hard?

because its like a job interview, a crapload of applicants all trying to get in a girls life and pants. So you have to be better and more witty then the guy in front of you and behind you.

Edit: Ratings unlock people. By default you are limited, by being rated 5 stars other 5 stars are unlocked to you. And in Cali. that's pretty big pool hidden off.

because its like a job interview, a crapload of applicants all trying to get in a girls life and pants. So you have to be better and more witty then the guy in front of you and behind you.

Edit: Ratings unlock people. By default you are limited, by being rated 5 stars other 5 stars are unlocked to you. And in Cali. that's pretty big pool hidden off.

Oh, damn. I had no idea. Rate away, brethren! I will do the same for y'all.

kiryogi

Banned

What do the ratings do, btw?

Eventually it'll make it that you show up on top of girl's searches as most attractive. Something like that

My success comes in waves; been on a dry spell on this site for a month now. I feel like i'm not putting enough effort; the process is becoming mundane for me. I am considering deactivating my account soon. Here's my profile; what say gaf?

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/AnnexBondi

Self-summary sounds too much like some essay.

My style reflects that of an individual with minimalism and post nominalist in appearance.

Is it possible to say this in a way that sounds less pretentious and academic? Then you follow it up with: I live carefree and righteous. It just seems kind of wha?

Pics are great though.

Okay, here is my profile. Any advice would be great; I can't seem to get any play on here.

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/orko60

Too short of a profile. Other than stuff you like and do I have no idea what you're like.

This is directed at many profiles I've seen so don't feel alienated. Saying you guys are x, y or z should be exhibited by your pics and the vibe of your profile. Just saying it leaves me to think "yeah I'll be the judge of that, thanks."

Your pics definitely look fun. Try to bring that vibe to your profile.

I've rated everyone I've seen. Rate me back :p (I'm the black guy from NY,NY)

Quote to see my profile.

I just went on a match search today, something I don't really do often. I decided to look at black females, and speaking of the ones I saw, it made me sad that either 1) they almost always had a high enemy rating with me (15%+) usually due to them being too conservative and/or religious, or 2) they mostly or exclusively want white or Asian guys.

I like the info in your self-summary but it feels like you could make it more entertaining.

Also more pics without funny faces and out doing stuff.

Too short of a profile. Other than stuff you like and do I have no idea what you're like.

This is directed at many profiles I've seen so don't feel alienated. Saying you guys are x, y or z should be exhibited by your pics and the vibe of your profile. Just saying it leaves me to think "yeah I'll be the judge of that, thanks."

Your pics definitely look fun. Try to bring that vibe to your profile.
Thanks for the advice! I will make some changes very soon.

kiryogi

Banned
I wonder if its a bad thing to admit that I'm a total nerd about anime/gaming lol. . . But I've come to learn that I mainly click with those that I can geek out, then it goes from there. . . so I know the pool will be small.

Regarding ratings unlock. . . Does A-list do the same thing?

Maddocks

I wonder if its a bad thing to admit that I'm a total nerd about anime/gaming lol. . . But I've come to learn that I mainly click with those that I can geek out, then it goes from there. . . so I know the pool will be small.

Regarding ratings unlock. . . Does A-list do the same thing?

A-list only lets to toss all the uglies and search for only 5 star only if you wish.

Darklord

Banned
Send 3 really good messages. 1 visit, no replies. Fuck, I remember why I hate dating sites now. It's not even the rejection, it's the time wasting.

kiryogi

Banned
Send 3 really good messages. 1 visit, no replies. Fuck, I remember why I hate dating sites now. It's not even the rejection, it's the time wasting.

Yeah, its a huge investment in time. Major numbers game etc . . . I admit tho it's helped me with dealing with a part of rejection in the form of ladies that stop messaging you after 2-3 times.

Try the paid one for a couple of months.

I find OKC has a high rate of people who are just looking for attention or in turn have a HUGE number of guys messaging them a day

The lady I'm talking to offline now got 16 this weekend!

I want to reactivate my account just to get in on all this dating camaraderie. I wish OKC was more like PoF as I had waaay more success on the latter. Might just copy paste my prof over and see what happens.

kiryogi

Banned
Ha

No no, I shouldn't haven mentioned them! Maybe Match.com, maybe

But yeah, women get a tonne of messages on a free website. Maybe if it was paid, it would weed out the scummy guys just trying to get their leg over

Match huh, it sorta seemed like OKC was more quality over quantity which Match seemed like. I've been getting lots of emails from Match but it seems like accessible only if I paid or something.

Bleepey

Ha

No no, I shouldn't haven mentioned them! Maybe Match.com, maybe

But yeah, women get a tonne of messages on a free website. Maybe if it was paid, it would weed out the scummy guys just trying to get their leg over

I don't see the point in paid dating sites. Why would women pay for something they can get for free. Plus they may get getter quality men cos they may be willing to pay but the gender ratios are likely to still be shitty for men.

I don't see the point in paid dating sites. Why would women pay for something they can get for free. Plus they may get getter quality men cos they may be willing to pay but the gender ratios are likely to still be shitty for men.

Don't you ever go to pricier and sometimes "higher" class bars to find a different calibre of women?

Poody

What program do you use to photoshop a picture?
Thanks for the constructive feedback!

Self-summary sounds too much like some essay.

My style reflects that of an individual with minimalism and post nominalist in appearance.

Is it possible to say this in a way that sounds less pretentious and academic? Then you follow it up with: I live carefree and righteous. It just seems kind of wha?

Pics are great though.

If the site "hides" people from you based on how attractive you are, does that apply to "quick match" as well? I ask because I only started clicking quick match and rating people today and it's shown me nothing but babes.

I get stabbed in an alley and then dumped into a river?

If she wanted to fuck my brains out, she could do it any other time, no reason why it should be right now.
So how was your night? Did you at least get some laundry done or something, or did you just curl up in a ball and hide under a blanket?

For those that have had success with Okcupid, how long do you tent to keep your initial contact messages. I've kept mine on the short side, and try to incorporate some humor. Is this a good strategy?

crush7337

Banned
For those that have had success with Okcupid, how long do you tent to keep your initial contact messages. I've kept mine on the short side, and try to incorporate some humor. Is this a good strategy?

Yes. 3 to 4 sentences. Witty comment about their profile and give them a question to respond to.

I'm having quite of fun with this thing. It's like playing a pc strategy game. ha!

Also, there are some ladies that are not the age they list. Some look like in their 50s and are putting 25... yeah right. Also I searched by enemy % and found one person who is 100% and 0% match. Like every single thing you could possibly imagined we disagree. I thought about sending her a message just for kicks.

Maddocks

If the site "hides" people from you based on how attractive you are, does that apply to "quick match" as well? I ask because I only started clicking quick match and rating people today and it's shown me nothing but babes.

somewhat. Quick match is really random women/men from the site. The problem with quick match and quiver matches is that they don't discriminate. They will show you a person who hasn't signed in in over a year one second, show you a signed in person the next. You might get shown someone who is great, only to discover they last signed in march of 2009. So you might see girls who are rated 4 stars, years ago, while your match search is only set for "logged in within the month."

Maddocks

having a picture of you and an animal shows that you are responsible and nurturing. Women love that. Pulls the heart strings of,"awww"

Darklord

Banned
ha, sorry!

Take a pic of you and an animal! Someone recommended it in this thread before and I changed it a little while ago :)

I did. I have my cockatiel in my shoulder. I don't think it's as effective as a Dog or Cat though. I could try with my Cat but that would be like pulling teeth with him.

^lol

What if you have no pets? Does a stuffed animal work in that case?

update: so I messaged a girl that is a little older than I am, after she visited my profile. She's up for meeting for coffee whenever I'm her town, the capital of the state, which is like 50 miles away. What's the way to handle these sort of scenarios when you don't live in the same town?

Maddocks

you rock a stuffed animals, you will get a whole different type of person lol

Depends, personally I have my search set to 25 miles only, I'd jump it up to 35 but that would be url editing and hardly works on the phone. If you messaged her knowing the distance, then should go and see how you vibe together. No need to rush 50 today, but make a trip of it. Plan a few things to do and have her he just another reason to be around the area, that way if shes terrible or you just don't click then nothing is wasted.

Cold as ice.

That attitude just pisses me off. You're on the site to meet people, if you are too afraid to even leave the house when she wants to meet then you have issues that won't be fixed by finding a girl.

^lol

What if you have no pets? Does a stuffed animal work in that case?

update: so I messaged a girl that is a little older than I am, after she visited my profile. She's up for meeting for coffee whenever I'm her town, the capital of the state, which is like 50 miles away. What's the way to handle these sort of scenarios when you don't live in the same town?

Don't live in Iowa.

----
Just saw this on an 18 year old's profile:
My life is insane. And I love it. I have an amazing son, and am expecting a daughter in January
Ew.

That attitude just pisses me off. You're on the site to meet people, if you are too afraid to even leave the house when she wants to meet then you have issues that won't be fixed by finding a girl

Totally agree. I've even been burned in the way he is afraid of, but I will still go out if beckoned.

It adds....MYSTERY!

"Ohhh he's a bad boy, he's RED"

Treat 'em mean, keep it green bruthas

Isn't it more of a cat and mouse game though. . . A desperate chick isn't exactly a good thing either unless you wanted that. Won't lie though, these mindgames are just absolutely baffling.

Maybe she had a free night and wanted to speed things up? Its better to give the situation a chance to play out before being psyched out about the worst possible outcomes. Dude could have had the time of his life last night

kiryogi

Banned
Totally agree. I've even been burned in the way he is afraid of, but I will still go out if beckoned.

Isn't it more of a cat and mouse game though. . . A desperate chick isn't exactly a good thing either unless you wanted that. Won't lie though, these mindgames are just absolutely baffling.

SteeloDMZ

Banned

What, really? You guys are just thinking with your dicks right now.

How is, in any way, the stuff that girl was doing "normal"? Sending me pics of herself, teasing what she is wearing, asking for my birth date, not wanting to meet other day. I mean, wtf?

What, really? You guys are just thinking with your dicks right now.

How is, in any way, the stuff that girl was doing "normal"? Sending me pics of herself, teasing what she is wearing, asking for my birth date, not wanting to meet other day. I mean, wtf?

Normalcy is overrated. Sometimes you gotta do things a little....strange.

Necrovex

All right, I have been editing my profile, and I pulled back from some of the snarkiness and the complete bat shit insanity of it. I want to see if I struck a solid balance in my profile. Plus, I love me some ratings. These girls on OkC have been pretty meh.

Quote to see link!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom