• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

3phemeral

tineye

if you use firefox, they have an add on that when you right click on a picture it will have an option to reverse image search it instantly without having to go to the site manually.

Tineye these days is a poor replacement for Google image search. I don't know how many times I've gotten several hits off pictures where tineye has none.

If it was a good blow he'll probably come again.

tumblr_mb6vt6fB3j1rteqhqo1_500.gif

Yeah, from the way he worded it and asked a real solid question, it was no way a brag post. If he wanted to brag he would have said,"new to the site, had so much sex. laterz" but he asked if its normal to see things like this. He even said she wants more attn and sex and he was the one who told her he might not be the guy for her.

but to answer the question, not really. I have seen a few profiles that are couples looking only for bi girls, I have seen a profile that said they wanted a guy to move in and have sex with only guys while the girl watched. So things like that are not unheard of. I personally wouldn't get with any girl who wants an open relationship only because I'm a one woman guy, when I'm with a girl shes the only thing on my mind and other girls I pretty much don't see. But that's just me.

Well I am debating making a joint profile with her, not sure i really want my info and photo associated with that, but might be the only way to actually find someone. I don't see this happening right away, its more of an option thats open for us two. If it does go down, ill update in this thread on how it goes.

crush7337

Banned
Nice. Let us know how it goes. The "Looking for new friends" thing in girl's profile is just their way of saying they want to keep it super casual

Meh. Didn't really feel anything with her and she was fairly boring. Didn't help she sat at the bar in her coat with her purse in hand for the hour and a half we were there. Also less attractive than her pictures.

At least she was #3 on the girls I'm talking to. The one I want to see still hasn't messaged me back on OKC in 2 days. She hasn't been on today though. Hope I didn't somehow blow it with her. If I did I might just disable my profile for a while until I get my housing situated and move.

RedAssedApe

Banned
For those complaining about slim pickings. Move to Los Angeles. Assuming most of these are real profiles there are so many cute girls on OKC here. None of them reply to my messages though. Maybe you will have better luck. ;)

I think I'm done with the site now

I'm not Mr Brad Pitt, but damn...I don't want to say that I'm looking for uglier chicks, but im looking at girls in my playing field. STILL.NO.DICE!

Just getting a little perplexed by the views and no replies..It's just a little bit disheartening now!

One happened yesterday/today...that one broke my spirit lol

And I primarily look at white women, because the sisters on OKC in London just aren't my type. Maybe they just aren't looking for a brother and still prefer their white guys? I looked again at all of the sisters and meh. There's only about 100 in my age group.

I'm not Mr Brad Pitt, but damn...I don't want to say that I'm looking for uglier chicks, but im looking at girls in my playing field. STILL.NO.DICE!

Just getting a little perplexed by the views and no replies..It's just a little bit disheartening now!

And I primarily look at white women, because the sisters on OKC in London just aren't my type. Maybe they just aren't looking for a brother and still prefer their white guys? I looked again at all of the sisters and meh. There's only about 100 in my age group.

How long have you been there? How many messages have you sent? I'm just curious? Me, I'm just having fun messing around and not worrying too much. I mean, there's one or two that strikes my fancy, but nothing to get bummed about. I also don't send out many messages. Maybe 2-3, 4 at most a day.

I find this very fascinating and just on the second phase of my experiment. I'll tell you guys the results on Monday.

OmegaFax

I'm going to give this site another after some very mixed to negative experiences.

I keep creating a profile and deleting 'em. I more or less do a bit of recon to see what kind of girls are on the site locally, and even then, if I find someone interesting, their expectations are too high or are looking for some quality I don't have + I never know what to write in a message because a lot of women expect pure gold. I delete my profile.

I want someone in my life. Its a curse because I'm such a shut-in and operate mostly around myself or my family.

The last girl I met from that site ended up being a diagnosed schizophrenic and had a lot of damage from previous relationships. Things went way too fast for a few weeks. She'd send mixed messages, show up at my dorm completely wasted on pills, and eventually randomly came on to me. I had myself convinced out of desperation I could make it work. We did a small road trip with her. She even wrote a blog post about me a year later accusing me of very horrible things. I had to contact Tumblr to have it taken down and even see a shrink to read it.

I have a ton of space issues. Funny enough, intimacy frightens me. I think its a lack of confidence and bad experiences with women that made me damaged goods myself.

As far as bad experiences go, I never had in all the women I've met had a good or memorable experience. Mostly OkCupid. I just feel like its something I bury and it only surfaces when I'm sad. I haven't bothered to date or attempt to meet anyone since 2010.

I really don't have a lot to offer a woman. I'm kind, responsible, looking for love, and a way to break out and be my own person away from my parents who I'm constantly around because I literally am a shut in. No job, no friends, no places to meet folk. Excellent grades in school. Afraid to go back because of anxiety. Hard to find a crowd. Too far away from the city.

Maybe should have saved a paragraph or two for the depression thread.

This site is like rolling a dice. You never know what you are going to get. A really cute girl sent me a message from out of the blue. She doesn't live close though. :(

HALP - the conversation is flowing. Should I still ask her for her number?

This site is like rolling a dice. You never know what you are going to get. A really cute girl sent me a message from out of the blue. She doesn't live close though. :(

HALP - the conversation is flowing. Should I still ask her for her number?

Of course. What do you have to lose?

Edit: jedivulcan, the best advice is to work on yourself. You say you don't have a lot to offer a woman? Then go work on that. You won't be happy with some girl if you can't be happy with yourself

Disabling my profile for the time being, something has turned up outside of online dating, something I'm freaking happy about. This didn't really work for me in the small amount of time I used it but that's more to time and where I live I think.

Goodluck to everyone else :3

Ovid

Disabling my profile for the time being, something has turned up outside of online dating, something I'm freaking happy about. This didn't really work for me in the small amount of time I used it but that's more to time and where I live I think.

Goodluck to everyone else :3
Congratulations?

I thought you were doing well on the site?

Oh yeah, and that beauty from previous post visited but didn't reply. I'm okay with that.

mjc

Really, how much do you guys message?

In the span of about a month I've sent out about 60 messages. I've only gotten maybe five replies/convos out of that. Loooots of profile views though. I consider myself to be pretty good looking too...so something must be wrong in the details for me.

kiryogi

Banned
Sad to say I haven't been messaging in the last few days... But that's due to the fact I've ran into some prospects since. I know I should always be looking until I'm actually dating, but I find it hard to keep up with more than 1 or 2. XD

That said, gonna finally meet up with one next week.... Although I'm at an absolute loss on what we'll be doing. Was originally coffee or the Hobbit, but then that became a maybe and we both fumbled around. For now we both agreed we'd play it by ear.... But I'm still researching for ideas to be prepped.

Ravager61

In the span of about a month I've sent out about 60 messages. I've only gotten maybe five replies/convos out of that. Loooots of profile views though. I consider myself to be pretty good looking too...so something must be wrong in the details for me.

What do you message them? I try to look at their profile and at least send them something meaningful. For example, one girl who said she was really into music and listed what she was currently listening to. I liked a few of the artists as well and told her so and asked if there was anything else she was into.

I have only been on the site for about 5 days and I'm 2 for 4 in message replies so far. I think you really need to send something meaningful and not just a "Hey, whats going on?" type of message.

Ashhong

Found a girl I'm really liking so far on pof. Will probably go out next week. Man I really hope it works out. I'm so tired of being single and looking for someone.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I prefer to start a conversation by talking about something I see on a girl's picture. There was a girl with fucking stunning eyes, so I sent her a message telling her that she has beautiful wrists. It's stupid, ridiculous and whatever, but it made me easily stand out from all the "wow you have nice eyes" messages that she probably gets, and she seemed to love it.

kiryogi

Banned
I prefer to start a conversation by talking about something I see on a girl's picture. There was a girl with fucking stunning eyes, so I sent her a message telling her that she has beautiful wrists. It's stupid, ridiculous and whatever, but it made me easily stand out from all the "wow you have nice eyes" messages that she probably gets, and she seemed to love it.

This seems like a good strategy. That's how I managed my most recent nibble.

I'm in Tulsa, OK and I've been messaging people over a hundred miles away because the population is so thin down here.

And I was about to come in here and mope about how I've sent out probably over a hundred messages with no response but I finally got one! She's about 85 miles away though. Not terrible but not exactly convenient either. I guess we'll see how it goes.

I sent out a few more messages today to test the waters with some girls that I normally consider to be out of my league. Why not, right?

Hey, I'm in Tulsa as well! So the OKC selection isn't good down here? I've been curious, and even considered making a profile, but I don't think I want to try that until I'm out of college. I meet lots of girls here at school (that doesn't mean I have success) and I think it would motivate me to be more outgoing if I don't make a profile yet.

Cool to know there's someone else from Tulsa around here though.

Kuntz

I got my answer : messaging for foreign friendship doesn't work.

out of the hunderds of messages, 3 answers :

"no thanks"
"hey how are you blahblah /obviousfakeaccount"
"ok but once a month because i don't use this often"

Well, I tried :)

Shit, I totally saw a girl like that too. Are you from NYC?

mjc

What do you message them? I try to look at their profile and at least send them something meaningful. For example, one girl who said she was really into music and listed what she was currently listening to. I liked a few of the artists as well and told her so and asked if there was anything else she was into.

I have only been on the site for about 5 days and I'm 2 for 4 in message replies so far. I think you really need to send something meaningful and not just a "Hey, whats going on?" type of message.

Yeah I try to personalize the messages, and keep them to a couple sentences at most. Almost everyone I send a message to checks out my profile. I honestly think it's contents has something to do with it, so I retooled it last night a bit.

I thought you were doing well on the site?

Oh yeah, and that beauty from previous post visited but didn't reply. I'm okay with that.

I am/was

I just don't really find anything that I really think can pan out. There are a lot of these new-age hippies on OKC and I think I want to find someone who is settled in their life- which at 27 isn't too optimistic to ask for!

I can't put it into words anyway, I just can't seem to find anyone I really like and who I get a chance with

_Ph03n1x_

I can't bring myself to message as much as I used to. It feels so pointless.

Yeah I'm right there with you; I never seem to get any replies and it really makes it hard to stay motivated. I try to send messages by showing them I actually went through their profile and then ask a question based around that in an effort to get a conversation started.

This is me: http://www.okcupid.com/profile/The_Carousel

Bring on the critique.

I'm back on the wagon after my 1+ year relationship (started on OkCupid) dissolved. Hopefully the next hot girl I meet on OkCupid who moves in with me doesn't get arrested for domestic violence again!

Honestly have a pretty good 3 year track record on the site, mostly 7-8s, a couple two monthers, a couple of six monthers, and the last (crazy) hot girl.

purg3

slept with Malkin
This is me: http://www.okcupid.com/the_carousel

Bring on the critique.

I'm back on the wagon after my 1+ year relationship (started on OkCupid) dissolved. Hopefully the next hot girl I meet on OkCupid who moves in with me doesn't get arrested for domestic violence again!

Honestly have a pretty good 3 year track record on the site, mostly 7-8s, a couple two monthers, a six monther, and the last (crazy) hot girl.

holy shit, arrested for domestic violence? Did she attack you or something?

holy shit, arrested for domestic violence? Did she attack you or something?

Yup.

Bipolar/eating disorders/functional alcoholic. Didn't find out most of this until after we lived together. By that time I was already in love and sucked in.

But I didn't come for pity, just any tweaks that could be applied to profile. Biggest problem is pictures, I have terrible dark circles and have never been photogenic. Planning to try and do something about that in the future (crossfit)

Biggest problem is pictures, I have terrible dark circles and have never been photogenic. Planning to try and do something about that in the future (crossfit)

I have the same problem. I'm not very photogenic either.

I wonder though... could photoshop GAF do something about that? I know there are woman out there that uses photoshop for their profile pictures.

I don't delete anything here's the best messages I've gotten so I can justify their existence even though I don't reply, might as well help others:

Pizza or sushi?

For some reason I like this, it's just different.

In reply to my "Face down, ass up that's the way I like to camp" joke in my profile:
You can't camp like that! The bears will eat everything.

You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

As a fucking nerd who's seen that movie far too many times I laughed.

Much of the other stuff is just boring, "you're ____" statements or makes no reference to my profile other than "it's funny, let's meet up." And I have over 100 so that tells you how many have actually stood out. Plus given how they're short it works when you're looking through your messages. I felt more at ease replying to any one of those than the complimentary or same ol' inquiries.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So, I've been chatting with this girl for the past day or so and I'm about to ask her out for coffee but am hesitating due to the fact that she lives 45 minutes away in another town. Not sure if I want to start down that path or keep looking closer to home.

Hmm.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
So, I've been chatting with this girl for the past day or so and I'm about to ask her out for coffee but am hesitating due to the fact that she lives 45 minutes away in another town. Not sure if I want to start down that path or keep looking closer to home.

Hmm.

I drive 30 minutes to work. I'd drive to hang out, she could drive to hang out, we could sleep over at eachother's places if it get's there and there and it's cool to do so, it could work.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I drive 30 minutes to work. I'd drive to hang out, she could drive to hang out, we could sleep over at eachother's places if it get's there and there and it's cool to do so, it could work.

Yeah, I drive 40 to work. Something in my head keeps wanting to meet someone in town though, even though that hasn't been working. I guess one date will never hurt.

Only downside is after Thursday I'm off to the parents for the rest of the year. We'll see!

Hmm.

Unless one, or both of you don't have cars. I don't see how this is a problem.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Yeah, I drive 40 to work. Something in my head keeps wanting to meet someone in town though, even though that hasn't been working. I guess one date will never hurt.

Only downside is after Thursday I'm off to the parents for the rest of the year. We'll see!
I get it.

2 hours: I'm friends with a girl 2 hours away. I could make the round trip, even on days I work, but that get's expensive and we can't hang out often.
45 minutes: Since she works long hours third shift, we really can only hang out on her 2-3 off days.
15 minutes?: We could hang out every day for at least an hour if we wanted to.

In the 45 minute scenario, she could sleep over or I could and that'd improve it a lot. Definitely very doable compared to the 4 hour round trip.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Told her my schedule for the holidays and noted I'd love to take her out after the new year if she was down with that. She replied with "possibly :)."

We'll see how everything goes. First person I've really had any luck with on here.

Loona

This girl I've been in touch with had to cancel our meeting plans 3 times already due to last-hour issues and maybe a case of cold feet (she self describes as quiet, could be a factor). Intellectually I know I shouldn't let it bother me, but by now it kinda did, and if it wasn't for her initiative to try again last time or two I might have given up already.

Today she sent a message mentioning that her vacation will start soon and suggesting thursday on account of at least meeting before doomday, ponctuated with a ";)".

My reply ended up mentioning I wished we'd have talked more during these days of delay, and finished by asking "is that 'carpe diem' in your mind or are you just happy to see me?", which is more forward than I'd normally be, but after those delays I think my inner gentleman needs some rest.

y2dvd

Yeah, I think I'm about ready to give up on OKC. It looks like I'm going to the movies sometime this week with that one girl and there's another one messaging me very slowly, but I don't like having to send so many messages to get very few responses back. I'll give it a week.

Ashhong

Heh, so this really nice girl messaged back on that troll account I have, so I decided to try my luck and tell her the truth. She was totally ok with it and we're talking now. She's pretty awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom